• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hamas terrorists infiltrated Israel. 1400+ killed, 2400+ wounded, 240+ abducted. Israel declares war

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brigandier

I've been busy all day and have just spent the past hour or so catching up on today's events and I think it's safe to say I've totally given up on the human race...

Absolutely fucking disgraceful behaviour all over the world, marches and gatherings celebrating this attack screaming death to Jews gas the jews.... then the masses of apologists who talk total uneducated shit all over social media, Open support for these attacks and people saying Israel deserve it.

The whataboutism is off the charts, The human race has been poisoned by hatred beyond saving, We're all fucked... I feel depressed at the state of the world right now everyone hates each other and tensions are sky high over petty differences and disputes over things that are in the grand scheme of things not even important.

Yeah we're fucked totally finished as a species.

MrA

[URL unfurl=
That is the mind of a psychopath. Civilians should never be the main target. That is a war crime, plain and simple.

Let just remind you that other countries have won wars, in disadvantageous positions, by using guerilla tactics. Attacking military targets, not civilians.
Vietnam won against the USA and Afghanistan won against Russia. By picking their battles and attacking the military.
Vietnam didn't win against the US, north Vietnam won against South Vietnam and the nva and vietcong murdered civilians regularly ,

Trilobit

I've been busy all day and have just spent the past hour or so catching up on today's events and I think it's safe to say I've totally given up on the human race...

Absolutely fucking disgraceful behaviour all over the world, marches and gatherings celebrating this attack screaming death to Jews gas the jews.... then the masses of apologists who talk total uneducated shit all over social media, Open support for these attacks and people saying Israel deserve it.

The whataboutism is off the charts, The human race has been poisoned by hatred beyond saving, We're all fucked... I feel depressed at the state of the world right now everyone hates each other and tensions are sky high over petty differences and disputes over things that are in the grand scheme of things not even important.

Yeah we're fucked totally finished as a species.

A reminder to you and everyone in this thread to take a break off social media/news now and then. Maybe take a walk and play with your dog. I don't think it's healthy to get absorbed by the horrific events at play.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I've never felt that alienated from the people I've been calling friends for 10 years showing their asses both to my face, or on their socials. I am disgusted by how so many people that I've always considered normal are praising Hamas.

Just...I can't people. I CAN'T!
Send them this:

Meicyn

Gold Member
I've never felt that alienated from the people I've been calling friends for 10 years showing their asses both to my face, or on their socials. I am disgusted by how so many people that I've always considered normal are praising Hamas.

On the other hand, now you really know them.

Act accordingly and cut them out of your life.

Brigandier

A reminder to you and everyone in this thread to take a break off social media/news now and then. Maybe take a walk and play with your dog. I don't think it's healthy to get absorbed by the horrific events at play.

Indeed I'm totally discouraged right now, Social media does this to me so often I need to know my limits.

I'm in the same position with some people and it's disheartening.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Open letter to the Harvard Community​

[Link to the letter: https://bit.ly/harvard-against-terrorism ]

We are faculty at Harvard who are deeply concerned about the events in the Middle East, as well as the safety of our students here on campus. On October 7th, Hamas launched a premeditated attack on the Israeli population. Hundreds of terrorists infiltrated Israeli towns and houses. Children were killed in front of their parents; entire families were executed. Grandmothers, mothers, and their babies were kidnapped. All in all, more than 900 Israelis were killed in a single day and the death toll is continuing to grow. There have also been deaths on the Palestinian side, including hundreds of terrorists and, tragically, civilians as well.

Every innocent death is a tragedy. Yet, this should not mislead us to create false equivalencies between the actions leading to this loss. Hamas planned and executed the murder and kidnapping of civilians, particularly women, children, and the elderly, with no military or other specific objective. This meets the definition of a war crime. The Israeli security forces were engaging in self-defense against this attack while dealing with numerous hostage situations and a barrage of thousands of rockets hidden deliberately in dense urban settings.

The leaders of the major democratic countries united in saying that “the terrorist actions of Hamas have no justification, no legitimacy, and must be universally condemned” and that Israel should be supported “in its efforts to defend itself and its people against such atrocities.“ In contrast, while terrorists were still killing Israelis in their homes, 35 Harvard student organizations wrote that they hold “the Israeli regime entirely responsible for all unfolding violence,” with not a single word denouncing the horrific acts by Hamas. In the context of the unfolding events, this statement can be seen as nothing less than condoning the mass murder of civilians based only on their nationality. We’ve heard reports of even worse instances, with Harvard students celebrating the “victory” or “resistance” on social media.

As a University aimed at educating future leaders, this could have been a teaching moment and an opportunity to remind our students that beyond our political debates, some acts such as war crimes are simply wrong. However, the statement by Harvard’s administration fell short of this goal. While justly denouncing Hamas, it still contributed to the false equivalency between attacks on noncombatants and self-defense against those atrocities. Furthermore, the statement failed to condemn the justifications for violence that come from our own campus, nor to make it clear to the world that the statement endorsed by these organizations does not represent the values of the Harvard community. How can Jewish and Israeli students feel safe on a campus in which it is considered acceptable to justify and even celebrate the deaths of Jewish children and families?

We recognize that Harvard has students and community members from all regions, including from the Gaza Strip. These are not easy times, and we pray for the safety of all our members and their families. The Israeli-Palestinian conflict has a long and complex history. We hold varying opinions, but none of us endorses all of Israel's past actions. However, the events of this week are not complicated. Sometimes there is such a thing as evil, and it is incumbent upon educators and leaders to call it out, as they have with school shootings and terrorist attacks. It is imperative that our academic leadership, whose good faith we do not doubt, state this clearly and unequivocally. Further, while individuals’ free speech should be protected, our leaders should make it clear that our community rejects any statements that excuse terrorist acts.

We stand with any member of the Harvard community who feels unsafe or alone and pledge to do what we can individually and collectively. We hold our hope for better days in the future. To quote President Obama, “As we support Israel’s right to defend itself against terror, we must keep striving for a just and lasting peace for Israelis and Palestinians alike.”

Signatories​

Anurag Anshu - Assistant Professor, SEAS

Michael Apstein, MD - Assistant Professor, Harvard Medical School

Sarah Ballou - Assistant Professor, Harvard Medical School

liron bar-peled - Assistant Professor, HMS Medicine

Boaz Barak - Professor of Computer Science

Anke Becker - Assistent Professor, Harvard Business School

Shai Bernstein - Professor, Harvard Business School

Stephen Blacklow - Gustavus Adolphus Pfeiffer Professor and Chair, Harvard Medical School

Alan Bonder - GI faculty at BIDMC

Richard Born - Professor of Neurobiology, HMS

Fernando Camargo - Professor, Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology

Brendan Case - Lecturer, Harvard Divinity School

Elliot Chaikof - Johnson and Johnson Professor of Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Chair of Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center

Adam Cheifetz - Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School

Marcy Cheifetz - Clinical Lecturer, Associate Site Director at Atrius Health for BIDMC HMS POM Course

Shaye J.D. Cohen - professor/NELC/

Flynn Cratty - Lecturer on History, History Department

Matthew Crowson, M.D. - Assistant Professor, Harvard Medical School

Myron Falchuk - Harvard Medical School

Gary Fleisher - Professor of Pediatrics, HMS/Children’s Hospital

Jeffrey Flier - Professor of Medicine and former Dean, Harvard Medical School

Sarah Flier - Assistant Professor, Harvard Medical School

Jonathan Frankle - Associate in Computer Science (SEAS)

Steven Freedman - Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School

Elizabeth Gaufberg - Associate Professor of Medicine and Psychiatry

Samuel Gershman - Professor of Psychology, FAS

Paul Gompers - Eugene Holman Professor, Harvard Business School

Jerry R. Green - Economics Department (FAS) and HBS

Michael E. Greenberg - Harvard Medical School

Jerome Groopman - Recanati Professor HMS

Barbara Grosz - Higgins Research Professor of Natural Sciences, SEAS

James Hankins - Professor of History

Elhanan Helpman - Galen L. Stone Professor of International Trade

Jennifer Hochschild - Professor, FAS

Stein B Jacobsen - Professor, Faculty of Arts and Sciences

Caroline Jouhourian, MD - HMFP

Barbara Kahn, MD - George Minot Professor, Harvard Medical School

Naama Kanarek - BCH, Assistant Professor

Robert S Kaplan - Senior Lecturer and Professor, Emeritus; Harvard Business School

Isaac Kohane - Professor, Harvard Medical School

Scott Duke Kominers - Professor of Business Administration, Harvard Business School

Petros Koumoutsakos - Professor, SEAS

Boris Kozinsky - Associate Professor, Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences

Gabriel Kreiman - Professor, Children's Hospital, Harvard Medical School

Josh Krieger - Associate Professor, Harvard Business School

Galit Lahav - Professor and Chair of Systems Biology, HMS

Andrew Lassar - Professor, Harvard Medical School

Daniel Leffler, MD - Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School

Margo Levine - Co-Director of Undergraduate Studies, Applied Math, SEAS

Harry Lewis - Gordon McKay Research Professor of Computer Science, SEAS

Ofrit Liviatan - Lecturer, FAS Department of Government

Avi Loeb - Baird Professor of Science, Director of Institute for Theory & Computation, Harvard University

Bertha Madras - Professor of Psychiatry, McLean Hospital

Bertha Madras - Professor, Harvard Medical School

Eleftheria Maratos-Flier - Professor Emerita, Harvard Medical School

Richard J McNally - Professor, FAS

Simon C. Robson MD, PhD. - Professor of Anesthesia and Medicine

Douglas Pleskow MD - Harvard Medical School

Jeffrey Meyerhardt - Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Professor of Medicine

Matthew Meyerson - Professor of Genetics and Medicine, Harvard Medical School

James Moran - Professor, emeritus, FAS (astronomy dept)

Matthias Nahrendorf - Professor of Radiology, HMS

Kamila Naxerova - Harvard Medical School, Assistant Professor

Eric Nelson '99 - Robert M. Beren Professor of Government, FAS

Jennifer Oyler-Yaniv - Assistant Professor, Harvard Medical School

Alon Oyler-Yaniv - Lecturer in Systems Biology, Harvard Medical School

Eliezer Peli - Professor HMS

Lev Perelman - Professor, HMS

Rabbi Jonah Pesner - Visiting Scholar, Harvard Divinity School

Nate Jowett MD PhD - Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery

Steven Pinker - Johnstone Family Professor of Psychology

Frederic Preffer - Professor of Pathollogy Harvard Medical School

Mark Ramseyer - Professor, Harvard Law School

Lisa Randall - Physics

Yogesh Rathi - Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Radiology, Harvard Medical School

Michael S. Rogers - Assistant Professor, Harvard Medical School

Kenneth Rogoff - Professor FAS

Evan Rosen - Professor, Harvard Medical School

Gary Ruvkun - Professor of Genetics

Jeffrey E. Saffitz - Professor of Pathology, Harvard Medical School

Yael Hoffman Sage, MD MPH - Instructor, Brigham and Women's Hospital

Joshua R Sanes - Professor of Molecular and Cellular Biology

Clifford Saper - Professor, HMS

David Scadden - Professor of Medicine, HMS; Professor of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology, FAS

Richard M. Schwartzstein, MD - Harvard Medical School, Professor of Medicine

Thomas Schwarz - Professor, Harvard Medical School and Boston Children's Hospital

Ayellet Segre - Assistant Professor, Department of Ophthalmology

Eugene Shakhnovich - Roy G Gordon Professor of Chemistry and Chemical Biology FAS

Irwin Shapiro - University Professor, FAS

Arlene Sharpe - Professor, Harvard Medical School

Steven Shoelson - Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School

Christine Smith - Robert C. and Marion K. Weinberg Professor of Architectural History, Graduate School of Design

Haim Sompolinsky - Professor of Physics and of Neuroscience (in Residence)

Lawerence H. Summers - Charles W. Eliot University Professor

Cliff Tabin - Professor and Chair of Genetics, Harvard Medical School

Daniel Talmor - HMS Edward Lowenstein Professor of Anaesthesia

Tomer Ullman - Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology

Charles CY Wang - Professor of Business Administration, Harvard Business School

Daniel Weinstock - Director for Master's Education, SEAS

Justin Werfel - Senior Research Fellow, SEAS

Christopher Winship - Diker-Tishman Professor of Sociology

Jacqueline Wolf - Associate Professor of Medicine; Harvard Medical School

Jeremy Wolfe - Professor of Ophthalmology and Radiology, Havard Medical School

Rabbi David Wolpe - Divinity School

Amir Yacoby - Professor of Physics and Applied Physics

Mark Zeidel - HMS

Meicyn

Gold Member
Ukraine and now Israel. Both had citizens stripped of guns. Both got caught with their pants down. Is anybody paying attention? People need to be allowed to defend themselves. It should be a universal human right to keep and bear arms.
Yep. I’m a left-leaning centrist and I am a huge proponent of the right to arm oneself. The world is harsh and unforgiving, and when the chips are down, you are responsible for your own life and safety.

Own a gun or some kind of weapon. Have emergency water and rations. Have a plan to escape, barricade, or fight. Enjoy what life has to offer, but be mindful of your surroundings and be ready to bolt. Psychos are everywhere.

Liljagare

A picture can convey a thousand words.

ne2IwD6.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
That kind of happens when you rape and murder women and chidden as well as behead babies. You will wake up a sleeping giant.
No kidding. I'm trying to think of ANY OTHER GROUP that could commit such acts and get a "oh well, I'm sure its an inflated report" shrug off. How the Palestinians in general, and Hamas in particular, have managed to somehow simultaneously cast themselves as victims in the "global public eye" AND still be the aggressors in grand fashion is baffling.

I'm really hoping social media is a tool of justice in this case, keeping the real victims front and center instead of memory holed in a week when peace talks come up.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It is really eye opening just to see how many different student groups there are. Talk about some extreme Balkanization, people wonder why everyone is so polarized these days, I dunno maybe it is because they are self-segregating themselves to extreme levels and only ever hearing a single viewpoint day in day out?
I bet each of these "groups" consists of 2-4 people, and they are all the same members of multiple similar groups. They know that "TWENTY organizations support Palestine" is all the news will say, not pulling the charter of these groups, the membership or social media pics of all the membership. Hell, may even be just ONE person doing most of it, faking the entire thing for tuition money from overseas.

FunkMiller

What we are witnessing is the entire moral and political landscape shifting.

This is as significant as 9/11. Without wishing to be trite, it obviously doesn’t have the same shocking spectacle to it, but it represents the same sensation of ‘before and after’.

The grift is over.

It appears that it might have taken babies getting beheaded for reality to set in for some.

How do you even get to a point where you have no problem beheading babies... I just cannot comprehend that. Even if a bunch of terrorists killed my whole family now, I'd still not be able to kill their kids/babies...

jason10mm

Gold Member
Terrorism cannot be sanctioned no matter how "justified" people think it is. I had sympathy for Palestinians, but they got played hard by Hamas and their controllers. Now they are firmly into the "win stupid prizes" part of the stupid games they played this past weekend. I would never trust them again without Hamas being completely dismantled.
See, I don't buy it. If the "majority" of Palestinians didn't want this, how did THOUSANDS of fighters prepare for it and no one say anything?

If Palestine wants to evolve and join the rest of the sane world, they can root out and expel these fanatics themselves, boot out the religious leaders who espouse the hateful rhetoric, and come to a collective agreement of "WE WILL CHANGE" that starts by publicly and often denoucing their past, eradicating all symbols and references to it, and actively policing themselves to prevent future rot. You can't tell me that out of 2 MILLION the only folks with stones and a backbone are 100% Hamas and rest cowards who absolutely don't like it but won't lift a finger to stop it.

You’re not a religious fundamentalist who believes they are waging a war against satan.

True, but still, I can't see a world where I would be allowed to be radicalised so badly I could do that kind of shit. I can imagine doing that shit to soldiers that killed my family maybe, but little babies? And to imagine that there are probably a bunch in our countries in the west that have the same mindset as these devils.

Raven117

True, but still, I can't see a world where I would be allowed to be radicalised so badly I could do that kind of shit. I can imagine doing that shit to soldiers that killed my family maybe, but little babies? And to imagine that there are probably a bunch in our countries in the west that have the same mindset as these devils.
Don't doubt anyone's capacity for true evil when pushed far enough. (And for the middle east, generations....millennia, even) .

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
There are some radicalized "Christians" out there who have committed murder and other things... But these motherfuckers are successful in pulling poor young men into their bastardization of the Quran by only pulling SOME quotes out of context. They'd be successful Televangelists here in the US preaching Jesus wants Biden dead (I remember one on the pulpit saying God wants Obama to die or that he was praying for Obama to be killed)... And all they'd have to do is .. take some bible quotes out of context and weaponize them for radicalization.

We've seen plenty of Muslims side with Israel and condemn Hamas... Just as there were plenty of Christians who condemned the killing of abortion doctors.

I think my point is, no religion is bad... But some will bastardize it and turn ordinary people into killers or crazies.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
There are some radicalized "Christians" out there who have committed murder and other things... But these motherfuckers are successful in pulling poor young men into their bastardization of the Quran by only pulling SOME quotes out of context. They'd be successful Televangelists here in the US preaching Jesus wants Biden dead (I remember one on the pulpit saying God wants Obama to die or that he was praying for Obama to be killed)... And all they'd have to do is .. take some bible quotes out of context and weaponize them for radicalization.

We've seen plenty of Muslims side with Israel and condemn Hamas... Just as there were plenty of Christians who condemned the killing of abortion doctors.

I think my point is, no religion is bad... But some will bastardize it and turn ordinary people into killers or crazies.
The mentally unstable and deranged will use whatever tools they can to commit the evil they wish to do.

E-Cat

How do you even get to a point where you have no problem beheading babies... I just cannot comprehend that. Even if a bunch of terrorists killed my whole family now, I'd still not be able to kill their kids/babies...
That's because I take it you don't subscribe to a 100% dogmatic belief system that can justify anything, because there's no "objective morality".

Quasicat

Mind you, they've been whipped up by Iran and Russia to do exactly these kinds of atrocities.Those two countries are the only real beneficiaries of all of this.
I was thinking about this last evening. Now that Israel is completely focused on the south, what’s stopping Russia from invading from the north? Their troops are already mobilized in the Ukraine, this almost seems like it could have been the plan all along using Hamas as the wiling distraction.

E-Cat

There are some radicalized "Christians" out there who have committed murder and other things... But these motherfuckers are successful in pulling poor young men into their bastardization of the Quran by only pulling SOME quotes out of context.
That context, though, being that it's an irrational book written in pre-scientific times by violent desert tribes. So, what exactly does taking this utter nonsense "out of context" mean? The real problem is that anyone takes any part of it seriously. What has largely happened to the Bible in the modern Western world is what also needs to happen to the Quran. Cherry-pick out the "nice" parts, if any, for Hallmark greeting cards and disregard the rest, or whatever.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I was thinking about this last evening. Now that Israel is completely focused on the south, what’s stopping Russia from invading from the north? Their troops are already mobilized in the Ukraine, this almost seems like it could have been the plan all along using Hamas as the wiling distraction.
Russia is not a close border with Israel to the North. Syria and Lebanon are, and there's already shit happening on the Lebanese border + some shots fired from Syria. That's why Biden said what he said, and the US navy is moving it's ships there.

BlueAlpaca

That context, though, being that it's an irrational book written in pre-scientific times by violent desert tribes. So, what exactly does taking this utter nonsense "out of context" mean? The real problem is that anyone takes any part of it seriously. What has largely happened to the Bible in the modern Western world is what also needs to happen to the Quran. Cherry-pick out the "nice" parts, if any, for Hallmark greeting cards and disregard the rest, or whatever.

Out of context means "misinterpreting" this:

Dihya al-Kalbi, one of Muhammad's companions, asked Muhammad for a slave from among the captives, so he let him to take whomever he wanted, and Dihya went and took Safiyya. But someone informed Muhammad that Dihya had taken Safiyya, the chief mistress of Banu Qurayza and the Nadir and a woman of renowned beauty, and he thought she was fit only for Muhammad. So Muhammad ordered to call them.[11][12]

When Safiyya was delivered, she was with another woman, and when the woman saw the headless corpses of the beheaded Banu Nadir men, she cried out wildly, smacked herself in the face, and poured sand on her own head.[13][14] Muhammad ordered that what he considered a "she-devil" be taken away.[8] Muhammad then took Safiyya for himself and told Dihya to take any other slave girl from the captives.[11][12] It was reported that Dihya got seven slaves in exchange.[15] Muhammad then married her and took her to his bed that very night. She was 17 years old at the time and known to be exceptionally beautiful.[16][17]

FunkMiller

They don’t see Jews as human. That’s the issue. They are subhuman to them. It’s the same attitude as the Nazis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom