• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HATSUNE MIKU Project DIVA Future Tone |OT| A gift to the millions of miku fans

what? is there supposed to be an issue with "Freely tomorrow"? I haven't noticed...
For me all songs seem great and with no issues

Dunno what's happening

I havent had any issues either with the input lag or timing. But then again I am a newb who only perfects Hard difficulty. Impossible kicks my butt.

We've been talking about it on and off throughout the thread, but a bunch of songs from DIVA F are off. So far the list from this Japanese player seems to cover all the off songs; I've not heard reports outside this set of songs anywhere else and it matches my personal experience as well:
  • Black Rock Shooter
  • ODDS&ENDS
  • FREELY TOMORROW
  • Weekender Girl
  • Summer Idol
  • Sadistic Music Factory
  • Yume no tsuzuki
  • WORLD'S END UMBRELLA
  • Negaposi Continues
  • Stay with me
It's really, really blatantly off in a lot of these cases - Freely Tomorrow is the worst of the ones I've played, having to play roughly 1/8 of a beat late in order to time according to the game right now.

muteki

Yeah I haven't noticed way off timing but still just playing though hard. I guess the bug is extreme only? I do gravitate toward the PSP songs more, as I have more favorites there.

I was a little worried at first when the first patch didn't address it, so nice to see them acknowledging the problem. Now just need some DLC.

We've been talking about it on and off throughout the thread, but a bunch of songs from DIVA F are off. So far the list from this Japanese player seems to cover all the off songs; I've not heard reports outside this set of songs anywhere else and it matches my personal experience as well:
  • Black Rock Shooter
  • ODDS&ENDS
  • FREELY TOMORROW
  • Weekender Girl
  • Summer Idol
  • Sadistic Music Factory
  • Yume no tsuzuki
  • WORLD'S END UMBRELLA
  • Negaposi Continues
  • Stay with me
It's really, really blatantly off in a lot of these cases - Freely Tomorrow is the worst of the ones I've played, having to play roughly 1/8 of a beat late in order to time according to the game right now.

mm...ok, "stay with me" yes, but some of those songs feel normal to me (i play extreme) , I even have good / excellent scores...

and i will read previous post to find out more, thanks for the heads up :)

Zhao_Yun

Yeah I haven't noticed way off timing but still just playing though hard. I guess the bug is extreme only? I do gravitate toward the PSP songs more, as I have more favorites there.

I was a little worried at first when the first patch didn't address it, so nice to see them acknowledging the problem. Now just need some DLC.

It's noticable on Hard as well.

Nyoro SF

• Black Rock Shooter
  • ODDS&ENDS
  • FREELY TOMORROW
  • Weekender Girl
  • Summer Idol
  • Sadistic Music Factory
  • Yume no tsuzuki
  • WORLD'S END UMBRELLA
  • Negaposi Continues
  • Stay with me

Holy crap, that's not good. This list is composed of most of my favorites... especially Summer Idol. Glad they're fixing it.

Andrefpvs

• Black Rock Shooter
  • ODDS&ENDS
  • FREELY TOMORROW
  • Weekender Girl
  • Summer Idol
  • Sadistic Music Factory
  • Yume no tsuzuki
  • WORLD'S END UMBRELLA
  • Negaposi Continues
  • Stay with me

THANK YOU! I knew I wasn't going insane. I keep getting a bunch of weird Safes on Weekender Girl, it's maddening!

Kumubou

I'm baffled that I have not once noticed these timing problems since I'm the first to complain about lag.
How good is your timing normally? That sort of issue only really becomes apparent when you start getting really accurate with regards to timing -- and it is also not equally bad on all of the songs. I would go try Freely Tomorrow and see if you notice it there and turn the difficulty down if needed (so you can just focus on raw timing), as that's probably the song that's off the most.

How good is your timing normally? That sort of issue only really becomes apparent when you start getting really accurate with regards to timing -- and it is also not equally bad on all of the songs. I would go try Freely Tomorrow and see if you notice it there and turn the difficulty down if needed (so you can just focus on raw timing), as that's probably the song that's off the most.

I consider myself no expert but pretty good at timing. I've gotten as high as 95% cool on some extreme plays.

I tried what you said, and yeah, I think I can feel a difference from the other songs with Freely Tomorrow. I got one safe that I was like whaaat? I think the reason I wasn't noticing it was it felt equally natural to slip in in terms of the timing because I never really calibrated my audio lag correctly for playing in general. I guess I can't really explain it though, but that's my best guess. And it's still certainly far from near-unplayable like some have described it as.

Luigi87

All my arcade parts for my controller I'm building are set to arrive today.

What amazed me is that my 52mm buttons just arrived. I actually wasn't expecting them until who knows when (imported them) yet here they are. The funny thing is I ordered a set of 24mm buttons to act in place of them until these arrived, and now I could have saved $8, lol

Edit: Yay got all my parts. Now I just need to finish expanding the holes for the 100mm buttons (this is... VERY tedious), sand it out, then stain and finish the wood, then solder, then I'm good to go! Hoping to be done by this weekend.

OMG Aero

When I started playing this game I decided to play through all the songs from F, F2nd, and Mirai DX first to get the songs I know out of the way so I'm just now getting into songs that weren't in those games, and man the animation in some of these videos is terrible.

When I started playing this game I decided to play through all the songs from F, F2nd, and Mirai DX first to get the songs I know out of the way so I'm just now getting into songs that weren't in those games, and man the animation in some of these videos is terrible.

It ends up having it's own appeal after a while.

sn00zer

Are there any similar rhythm games without the stank of Miku on it? Really loved the Miku PSVita demo's gameplay and presentation and really REALLY hated the soundtrack and the character. So any similar games that arent Miku?

Are there any similar rhythm games without the stank of Miku on it? Really loved the Miku PSVita demo's gameplay and presentation and really REALLY hated the soundtrack and the character. So any similar games that arent Miku?

You say this, but there are literally 224 songs in Future Tone, not all of which are Miku herself, and even then there are huge variances in the way Miku's voice can be used. I think you are limiting yourself greatly based on a very small sample size.

That said, if you want something near identical to Project DIVA, your only choices are Miracle Girls Festival (grindy spinoff with not that many anime songs) and IA/VT Colorful (from the makers of Senran Kagura, and it kind of shows they've never made a music game before).

sn00zer

You say this, but there are literally 224 songs in Future Tone, not all of which are Miku herself, and even then there are huge variances in the way Miku's voice can be used. I think you are limiting yourself greatly based on a very small sample size.

That said, if you want something near identical to Project DIVA, your only choices are Miracle Girls Festival (grindy spinoff with not that many anime songs) and IA/VT Colorful (from the makers of Senran Kagura, and it kind of shows they've never made a music game before).

.....so Im just going to assume a game like this without anime girls is not a thing that exists

Did you look into the game further than the demo? The soundtrack is really diverse with voices besides Miku.

Roubjon

I'm poor as fuck right now but I have $41 in Amazon credit. I've been a fan of the franchise since the first one, so do you guys think it's worth it to buy one of these games? Also, are they harder than the Vita ones? The harder the better for me. Also, which one should I buy?

macklelol

I'm poor as fuck right now but I have $41 in Amazon credit. I've been a fan of the franchise since the first one, so do you guys think it's worth it to buy one of these games? Also, are they harder than the Vita ones? The harder the better for me. Also, which one should I buy?

Definitely worth if you like the franchise. More difficult than the main games. If you're looking just more value, Future Sound has more songs. Future Sound also features songs you're probably familiar with, as it's mostly made up from songs that were in previous Project Diva games. There's a song list in the OP if you want to see what's in each pack.

Yo, the game has doubles now?

Doubles, triples, quadruples, and holds that involve more than just one note at a time. It's almost a different game.

It's probably a pipe dream but the DIVA series going forward should totally adopt these mechanics going forward because I am definitely going to miss them.

Roubjon

Doubles, triples, quadruples, and holds that involve more than just one note at a time. It's almost a different game.

It's probably a pipe dream but the DIVA series going forward should totally adopt these mechanics going forward because I am definitely going to miss them.

That all sounds way better. So now I really have to use both hands instead of just my right and occasionally my left. Also, has there been any talk about this getting localized? I guess if it gets localized it will be the same game anyways so it won't matter.

EDIT: Also, Hatsune Miku X is a thing? Is that out already? I've seriously been out of the Mikuverse since the second one for Vita came along. I randomly started playing the second Vita game the other day and then booted up Superbeat: Xonix and remembered how much I love rhythm games.

EDIT 2: Also, do you have to unlock the difficulties in this or do I just start out with everything? I'd really prefer not to have to play through all the songs on Normal and Hard again lol.

macklelol

That all sounds way better. So now I really have to use both hands instead of just my right and occasionally my left. Also, has there been any talk about this getting localized? I guess if it gets localized it will be the same game anyways so it won't matter.

EDIT: Also, Hatsune Miku X is a thing? Is that out already? I've seriously been out of the Mikuverse since the second one for Vita came along. I randomly started playing the second Vita game the other day and then booted up Superbeat: Xonix and remembered how much I love rhythm games.

EDIT 2: Also, do you have to unlock the difficulties in this or do I just start out with everything? I'd really prefer not to have to play through all the songs on Normal and Hard again lol.

Project Diva X came out in Japan a few months ago, and it's coming out in the West on PS4/Vita on August 30th.

Hard is unlocked by default, and you need to unlock Extreme/Extra Extreme by clearing Hard first. It's not really a bad thing, since you'll definitely need some time to get used to the different mechanics lol.

Localization prospects are looking low, but they haven't given a "no" so interpret that how you wish.

X is out in Japan but coming out in West later this year. It's much more similar to F and F2nd although it will have 60fps on PS4.

Hard is unlocked from the beginning, but not extreme. Although jumping into extreme might not be as easy as you think anyway.

Roubjon

Thanks y'all. I'll sleep on it, but I'll probably be buying this tomorrow. I need to figure out how to set up a Japanese PSN and buy some store credit.

yyr

OMG, this addresses every complaint I had. <3 Sega.

I'm baffled that I have not once noticed these timing problems since I'm the first to complain about lag.

Some players are able to adjust to songs that are out of sync. It depends on your play style. The first Project DIVA f on Vita is entirely offsync (literally every song) and I adjusted to it, but it never felt "right." I can't wait for the patches.

Did you look into the game further than the demo? The soundtrack is really diverse with voices besides Miku.

My takeaway from his reply was that he just doesn't like the sound of Vocaloid music. Nothing is for everyone.

Thanks y'all. I'll sleep on it, but I'll probably be buying this tomorrow. I need to figure out how to set up a Japanese PSN and buy some store credit.

Play-Asia.com is a super easy way to buy credit, and the markup isn't very big at all. If you buy 10K yen worth you'll have some left over for eventual DLC. YouTube videos demonstrate how to set up the account. It'll only take you a few minutes.

Hey, I remember you from the Witness and Hitman threads.

No, there really isn't another rhythm game that emphasizes elaborate presentation this much. Most other games feel kind of cheap in comparison in terms of visuals. If that's what you want out of a rhythm game, give it another shot.

Some players are able to adjust to songs that are out of sync. It depends on your play style. The first Project DIVA f on Vita is entirely offsync (literally every song) and I adjusted to it, but it never felt "right." I can't wait for the patches.
I wish I knew what was up with this. Miracle Girls Festival is significantly off by default too, despite DIVA F 2nd before and DIVA X after being totally fine. But at least you can adjust the timing in every game after DIVA f.

Roubjon

Do you all use a normal PS4 controller for the game or is there a PS4 version of the Arcade controller that you use?

Also, It's like magic: I haven't looked at my PayPal in ages and apparently a year ago I asked for a refund for a $60 item. I've got $75 just randomly sitting in there that I didn't even know existed. It's Miku Miku Time Baby.

hamchan

I have no idea how rhythm game dev works but I would have thought they have some sort of way to see exactly when the note in the music plays and putting a button press right at that point.

Do you all use a normal PS4 controller for the game or is there a PS4 version of the Arcade controller that you use?

I think some people are working on making old versions of DIVA controllers working but I think most people are playing with the dualshock. The game has a myriad of options for mapping the buttons so what seems impossible or unwieldy to do at first can be made easier. For instance, I got triangle on L1 and circle on R1 and it works out for me perfectly.

Kumubou

I have no idea how rhythm game dev works but I would have thought they have some sort of way to see exactly when the note in the music plays and putting a button press right at that point.
That only works out when the game itself is replaying music as a sequencer, which is rather rare nowadays -- only games like Beatmania, Pop'n Music, DJ Max and Amplitude do that. Even then, whatever backing track you have still needs to be synced up to the keysounded notes (unless you have all of the sample data loaded and played by the game in that format). Most of the game just have the music track and they have the input data running alongside it (and it may be split along multiple stems -- Project Diva uses two, one for the vocals and one for everything else). In that instance, the developers need to manually set BPMs and offsets so that the in-game measures match the music. For electronic music, this isn't too difficult as you can either calculate the BPM easily enough (and it's guaranteed to be steady and exact... unless the composer wanted otherwise) or the composer may even just give you all the tempo data themselves. It's much more of a pain in the ass trying to sync music that is performed live, as there are lots of tiny variations in rhythm that can result in the in-game data drifting off-beat.

You can actually learn how this works real quick by loading up the beat map editor in F/F2, importing a custom track and try to get it synced up.

For off sync notes -- I think I found one with song Slump. But I've been perfected it on Hard so there is no big deal anymore, haha.

But it is good that they knows such issue for some songs and doing patch.

SephLuis

.....so Im just going to assume a game like this without anime girls is not a thing that exists

There is an idol rhythm game that has the same gameplay if I remember correctly.

Though, I would suggest you trying to hear some of the game songs in YT. You might end up finding some that you like it.

muteki

I have a hard time staying in rhythm without hit noises. What this game does with consecutive notes and not playing hit noises when you miss is enough to throw me off.

SephLuis

I'm definitely going for Future Sound since it's music I'm familiar with as opposed to all new songs. Plus the song count is higher, so there's that too.

Either pack is a great choice really. I bought both day one and got around 90 songs as my favorites in the game. Worth every cent.

Top Bottom