• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik2121

The different classes all have varying degrees of reach with their offensive/defensive powers. Hunter does 2 damage but it can only target enemy heroes. Mage can only do 1 but has the freedom to choose any target. They each have their own variation on that. The weaker ones having more utility generally.
There is a matchmaking system in place for both casual and ranked. If you lose many matches, you should expect to eventually paired with similarly skilled opponents. Ranked has number rankings to further differentiate player skill levels.
Ah gotcha. I only played 2 games so maybe that's why it still doesn't match me with more newbies like me? Or maybe the opponents are newbies too, and I'm just incredibly horrible (my deck seems to be shit too!)

Ah gotcha. I only played 2 games so maybe that's why it still doesn't match me with more newbies like me? Or maybe the opponents are newbies too, and I'm just incredibly horrible (my deck seems to be shit too!)

Yeah, don't worry about losing. Everyone does it and it certainly doesn't stop once you get used to the game. Play the AI on easy if you haven't already. The computer isn't a great teaching tool for strategies or whatever but it should give you a decent understanding of the unique cards and playstyles that each class has. Level up a class to level 10 and consider looking up Trump's basic decks which utilize only the cards you have available at the start of the game and once a class has unlocked all of their basic cards (at lvl 10). From there, you can swap out cards you don't like in those decks with some new ones you end up getting.

CoolOff

Puffins murloc-deck is just ridiculous. Fake-out that it's zoo, people burn their boardclears/removals on Flame Imps, Void Walkers, and Knife Jugglers, and then on turn 6-8 you just Mrglglglgl! Havven't played that many Hunters yet, they might be problematic.

de1irium

Finally have enough dust to craft a legendary... it'll be my first useful one. I mostly play ramp Druid. Two things:

1) Was going to DE Deathwing to get the last bit of dust. Bad idea? I don't see myself using him.

2) When I do craft ... Rag, Ysera, or Cenarius?

Finally have enough dust to craft a legendary... it'll be my first useful one. I mostly play ramp Druid. Two things:

1) Was going to DE Deathwing to get the last bit of dust. Bad idea? I don't see myself using him.

2) When I do craft ... Rag, Ysera, or Cenarius?

I believe Rag is the go-to legendary to start crafting although I may be wrong.

Aylinato

Rag is yolorag

Hogger is pretty fun vs paladin later game when dominating them

Gelbin is amazing only when he is the only creature on board (you gotta see which invention obviously) if he gets chicken you are SOL

Card Boy

Banned
I played my brother while a third was logged in on an ipad. All of us on same wifi. He got it after three matches. Me: nothing. Even tried playing him again, playing the ipad account, still nothing. Guess I'll submit a ticket later at home.

I got a feeling it may be problems related to the iPad, I'm basing this on just people with the same problem. I could be wrong. I will try again tomorrow as i will have access to another PC and i can swap out the iPad.

JesseZao

I got a feeling it may be problems related to the iPad, I'm basing this on just people with the same problem. I could be wrong. I will try again tomorrow as i will have access to another PC and i can swap out the iPad.

The strange thing is we used the ipad as the dummy account. My brother got his just fine playing me three times on my laptop. He got it and I didn't. I didn't even use the laptop until it didn't work for my account playing him on his desktop.

FStop7

Banned
I believe Rag is the go-to legendary to start crafting although I may be wrong.

Rag is popular because if you play it on an open board it's pretty much guaranteed to do a minimum of 8 damage to your opponent. And if you (or your opponent) silence Rag then it's free to attack directly.

You can also play Rag as a hail mary if you're losing.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I started playing this game online and while I know I'm still terrible at it, it seems like my opponents are just leagues above me. Does this game have some sort of matchmaking system where it pairs you with someone of your skill or it's just random?
I just finished fighting some guy that seemed to have infinite cards to destroy my minions wether they had more than 5 attack or less than 3. It didn't help that every time I tried to kill one of his minions he'd heal it and get an extra card. It was so bad I just quit mid game (conceded). Also my hero attack is just 1dmg when I've seen other heroes' do 2dmg or healing... what's the deal with that? I'm a Mage, btw.

You played against a Priest who can heal his minions. That's why against a priest you have to kill his minions instantly or damage them so far at least, that healing them will not save them. Priests have 2 spells called Shadow word Pain and Death. They can kill minions with lower than 3/ higher than 5 attack. That's why 4 attack minions are so valuable against them.

The card that made him get new cards is the northshire cleric, a 1/3 creature. Don't attack it, if you can't kill it. Make sure it dies fast. As long as that creature is alive, he will draw a card whenever a creature is healed.

Really, it sounds like you a simply frustrated because you still don't know most of the cards and spells. Just play against the AI with all classes, unlock all the basic cards and then start playing Arena. Like with every cardgame, it needs time and practice.

Mik2121

You played against a Priest who can heal his minions. That's why against a priest you have to kill his minions instantly or damage them so far at least, that healing them will not save them. Priests have 2 spells called Shadow word Pain and Death. They can kill minions with lower than 3/ higher than 5 attack. That's why 4 attack minions are so valuable against them.

The card that made him get new cards is the northshire cleric, a 1/3 creature. Don't attack it, if you can't kill it. Make sure it dies fast. As long as that creature is alive, he will draw a card whenever a creature is healed.

Really, it sounds like you a simply frustrated because you still don't know most of the cards and spells. Just play against the AI with all classes, unlock all the basic cards and then start playing Arena. Like with every cardgame, it needs time and practice.
Yeah, it was just frustrating haha. But now I'm playing against the AI to get used to my cards and their cards... Also got some 'Epic' card but I still don't know what's considered good and bad on this game, so... :p
Anyway, thanks a lot for the tips!

Brak

Anybody know if there's a website that's been keeping track of which decks are getting played at Dreamhack? I would love to see a breakdown of the win records per class/per deck.

Off-hand, it seems like Druid, Hunter, and Warrior have had the strongest showings.

Anybody know if there's a website that's been keeping track of which decks are getting played at Dreamhack? I would love to see a breakdown of the win records per class/per deck.

Off-hand, it seems like Druid, Hunter, and Warrior have had the strongest showings.

Not that I know of, but there have been tons of Kolento Hunters with and without minor tweaks. Garra has got to the finals on the back of his ramp Druid deck

Gaara with a huge misplay in game three of the final

Edit: Perhaps he did that on purpose to set up UTH? Pretty crazy if he did

Yup, either misplay or very advanced play.
If he expected the Argent Commander it was a genius set-up

Edit: On another note: Getting sick of seeing the same Hunter-Deck in every matchup.
Game needs new cards asap.

Chindogg

Won the last two games with Hunter deck, won the rest of the tournament with ramp Druid.

Seems kinda odd to complain about Hunter deck when ramp Druid basically controlled the whole tournament.

It's the UTH and the insane support cards for it.

They should just name Hunter "Unleasher of the Hounds". Every single card of his already depends on UTH anyway.

Pretty much this. The entire deck revolves around drawing UTH and hoping they don't bait it out or have some kind of clear. It's a solid card, but a bit of a gamble in the long run.

zoukka

The last two games of the final are won with the Kolento Hunter deck, Hunters are getting old. UTH is just too good

It's the UTH and the insane support cards for it.

They should just name Hunter "Unleasher of the Hounds". Every single card of his already depends on UTH anyway.

Kosma

Banned
Won the last two games with Hunter deck, won the rest of the tournament with ramp Druid.

Seems kinda odd to complain about Hunter deck when ramp Druid basically controlled the whole tournament.

Well he switched to hunter when things got serious.

Rest of the tournament was high level play.

Chindogg

Well he switched to hunter when things got serious.

Rest of the tournament was high level play.

That's a terrible fucking argument and a total cop out. He beat Hunter decks earlier in the tournament with ramp Druid regardless of any issues. The whole event was high level. To make a statement like that discourages Gaara's skills and equates to whining about "cheap characters" in fighting games.

Mik2121

I just finished my third game and first win, and damn it felt great. I was fighting a Druid that kept slowly hitting me.. at one point he had 20 hit points and I only had 4 left. He was so confident about winning that he kept ignoring my minions for the last two rounds. Final round, I got the card that gives +1/1 to all my minions, and I attacked with all I had, leaving him at 2hp. Use dtge card that gives u another card and got a charge guy, which let me destroy the guy all in one round. Felt amazing :_) even if it was a low level win, lol

Copenap

I did only get to see very few games but what I saw came down to "Hunters, Hunters everywhere". Glad to read there was a diversity of classes during the other matches though.

I did only get to see very few games but what I saw came down to "Hunters, Hunters everywhere". Glad to read there was a diversity of classes during the other matches though.

Saw about 30 matches.
My subjective list of classes played:

Hunter >> Druid >> Rogue/Shaman >> Warlock >>>>>>>>>Warrior>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Paladin/Priest/Mage

FStop7

Banned
AtaK's Rogue Deck is crazy.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/44975-firebat-ataks-rogue-elegance

Malygos + Assassin's Blade + Blade Flurry = devastation

iO4rdJH3o6r6U.png

iNvid02

here is an easy way to get the fireside cardback, i saw it on reddit.
1. you create an account and download/install the evolve client from : https://www.evolvehq.com/

2. join the hearthstone inn group, people are posting party links in the groups chat. click one to join that party of people. alternatively there are some links posted in this reddit post.

3. launch hearthstone and they should appear as nearby players on your friends list - then you can just challenge them 3 times and concede (can be the same player too).

took like 5 mins total to get it

here is an easy way to get the fireside cardback, i saw it on reddit.

took like 5 mins total to get it

Never used Evolve before and I'm probably just an idiot, but I have the Evolve client open and I have Hearthstone open. When I click "Find Match" in Evolve, it seems like it just hangs up on "Searching..." forever.

iNvid02

Never used Evolve before and I'm probably just an idiot, but I have the Evolve client open and I have Hearthstone open. When I click "Find Match" in Evolve, it seems like it just hangs up on "Searching..." forever.

that method didnt work for me, only the above did. you join a party and then launch the game, everyone there should be visible on your friends list as nearby players.

I can't even click "Find Match" .. it's greyed out. Create Party is greyed out too.
Does it work in Europe?

Edit: Party system seems to be down right now

Olorin

RBHQxwf.jpg

I just threw a deck together with all the Lengendary and Epic cards that I have, and added some silly rares to get to 30. It's a terrible deck, but loads of fun to play. Sometimes it just works out and you get Cairne + Ancestral Spirit and Faceless Manipulator for some crazy shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom