• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
Well we just have to remember we're basically still in beta. We're only just about to get our Arabian Nights.

30 cards vs 75, I dunno... the adventure isn't even that ambitious. Arabian Nights had ~10 cards from each color, the PVE adventure has just 1. I'd possibly argue Arabian Nights' impact is closer to Hearthstone's real expansion (which is said to be ~100 or more cards) than the PVE adventure. At least somewhere in the middle. I expect the first real Hearthstone expansion, due out not for some time, to have ~10 class cards, much like Arabian Nights had ~10 cards for each color.

suko_32

1Nm8DCN.jpg

lol 5 Flamestrikes. I'm expecting some fun, but not many wins.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
30 cards vs 75, I dunno... the adventure isn't even that ambitious. Arabian Nights had ~10 cards from each color, the PVE adventure has just 1. I'd possibly argue Arabian Nights' impact is closer to Hearthstone's real expansion (which is said to be ~100 or more cards) than the PVE adventure. At least somewhere in the middle. I expect the first real Hearthstone expansion, due out not for some time, to have ~10 class cards, much like Arabian Nights had ~10 cards for each color.

I'd expect that expansion will have DK in it as well which is where most new cards will come from.

Grio

Neo Member
Just played a casual game on my way to work and I ran into a mage who had four (probably more) legendaries in their deck.

Played Thalnos turn 4, coined Black Knight turn 5, Hogger at 6. Finally played rag at turn 8.

Uhm ... WTF?

I just don't know how he pulled those kinds of cards all game. RNG gods crapped in my cereal this morning.

Water

When the PVE content is out,will it be possible to get the new cards without buying it?

Surely the cards from the free wing. For the rest you'll have to cough up some gold. They might of course give them high gold prices, so that gold for real money ratio is better than on arena and with packs - that would make a lot of people open their wallets who haven't paid anything til now.

shas'la

MentalCollapse.png

This would've been an amazing counter vs. Handlock.

Only real thing you can do now is force your opponent to draw more cards than he can have in his hands. You'd have to build a deck around it though. Like going Rogue with Lorewalker Cho, spamming your opponent with cheap spells, then playing stuff like Vanish (to clear his board), Coldlight Oracle (kill 2 cards from his deck) or Sap (destroy an enemy minion), and then getting back whatever spells he uses to get rid of Cho.

That sounds like a lot of fun, even for it to happen against me. I'd like to see that.

Surely the cards from the free wing. For the rest you'll have to cough up some gold. They might of course give them high gold prices, so that gold for real money ratio is better than on arena and with packs - that would make a lot of people open their wallets who haven't paid anything til now.

But if I understand correctly,the new cards will still have to be found in packs or crafted, like any other card.
So there is no reason to make them avalible only for the PVE owners

TimeKillr

I would definitely run a mental collapse deck. There needs to be more decks built around a card/strategy like that. Miracle rogue is the only cool mechanic deck out there. Lock decks are completely reliant on the hero power. Other classes just feel like a mish mash of cards. Like my control war has some cute combos but the deck isn't built on that, it's just built on holding out as long as possible.

IIRC I remember reading an interview with the developers saying they don't like certain types of decks/strategies from MtG (milling and discard, specifically) because they claim it's not interactive.

They just don't want you to have to do stuff during your opponent's turn, at *all*. As if you could play this game async or something. They also mention that losing cards is not fun, and in a game like HS with strict card limits and a low card count in decks it's going to hurt you MUCH more if you get your shit discarded or milled - as a Miracle Rogue, for example, if you lose a SINGLE Shadowstep you're in deep shit. I don't know if we'll see any cards specifically interacting with opponent hands or decks having random removal like that, and I would kind of doubt it.

But if I understand correctly,the new cards will still have to be found in packs or crafted, like any other card.

Nope. They are only available as rewards from the PvE stuff (that's what they mentioned anyway).

Minsc

Gold Member

They can only be found in Arena drafts, never in normal expert packs. You also can't craft them afaik, the only way to get them is via the PVE content. Maybe that's how they deal with the gold versions, make them craftable after you obtain a regular version from PVE, so once you have that 2/7 legendary guy that doubles deathrattles, you can get the golden version only by crafting him for 3200 dust. Would be a nice dust sink for those with 10,000s of dust anyway, the five legendaries alone would be ~15,000 dust to get golden copies of.

Minsc

Gold Member
They start to accumulate after that. There is an hard limit but it's over 3.

When you complete one, you will just have a new one instantly (or fairly fast).

I don't think this is the case anymore, multiple times I've carried over 3 dailies to a 4th day, and then didn't get a new quest upon completing one of those dailies on the 4th day.

They can only be found in Arena drafts, never in normal expert packs. You also can't craft them afaik, the only way to get them is via the PVE content. Maybe that's how they deal with the gold versions, make them craftable after you obtain a regular version from PVE, so once you have that 2/7 legendary guy that doubles deathrattles, you can get the golden version only by crafting him for 3200 dust. Would be a nice dust sink for those with 10,000s of dust anyway, the five legendaries alone would be ~15,000 dust to get golden copies of.

Five legendaries? There are going to be 5 new legendaries?
In that case, I don't understand the complaints about the PVE's price being high, getting 5 legendaries for 5000 gold is a much better deal than what we've gotten so far.

Ikkarus

I just wanted to pose a scenario:

If I have Slyvanas on the field had my opponent has a Cairne and some other minions, after I play brawl would there be a chance that my Slyvanas could take his Cairne after his resurrection ability activates?

Just not sure how death rattles are prioritised.

inky

I don't think this is the case anymore, multiple times I've carried over 3 dailies to a 4th day, and then didn't get a new quest upon completing one of those dailies on the 4th day.

I asked this in the thread a few weeks ago and no one answered, but I definitely noticed that quests didn't pile up anymore. I didn't see any patch notes or info about it either,.
I understand they don't "owe" us free gold, but at least let people know. They probably didn't to avoid complaints which kinda sucks.

If I have Slyvanas on the field had my opponent has a Cairne and some other minions, after I play brawl would there be a chance that my Slyvanas could take his Cairne after his resurrection ability activates?

Not sure how it works with Brawl specifically, but I know that Cairne's Deathrattle procs after Sylvanis' normally, so you don't steal the Baine.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

99% sure it doesn't, but I know my Sylvanas has grabbed an ancestral spirit spawn after suiciding into Syl. Pretty sure deathrattle spawns are no good but the pally secret respawn would..

4 mana vs 7 mana tho. And you still get a creature on board.

Yeah,but you damage all your other creatures as well.
Besides you need to draw 2 specific cards, while with flamestrike you only need one.
What are the chances of drawing both CoH and Auchenai by turn 4?

johnsmith

remember me
Yeah,but you damage all your other creatures as well.
Besides you need to draw 2 specific cards, while with flamestrike you only need one.
What are the chances of drawing both CoH and Auchenai by turn 4?
A priest will not have another creature on the board vs a zoo deck in turn 4. I don't know the odds but any priest will mulligan for this combo vs a warlock.

FStop7

Banned
Zilea's been hammering out his own version of control Paladin as he struggles to make it past rank 4 on the ladder. Last time I checked he had Alexstrasza in his deck, too.

Holy shit, guys:

CWauMa1.png

What do I do?
Go for a second black knight or go for teh cairne bloodhoof?

Go for Cairne. He's going to be useful in more situations than Black Knight... that said, I've never seen a draft that had multiple of the same legendary, so there is something amazing about just that thought.

I'm an expert

Yeah it probably won't win you the game but get the knight, drop both in a game, then spam thank you and let the timer run out. Opponent will appreciate the novelty.

I almost never see Paladin on the ladder. Yesterday I saw about six of them. Figured out why, this was on the front page of Hearthpwn.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/53343-new-meta-control

I've been playing control pally for months and then a strat like this becomes popular and people will learn to start hard countering it -_- Sad face!

This is why I like having off-beat decks compared to the current meta because you can actually do really well just because people don't know how to react... now I have to switch it up again... hmm... maybe I'll give priest another try, no one will expect a priest deck!

I went to play Hearthstone after not playing it(or any battlenet game) for a couple months or so, it needed an update then asked for my login. It then asked for my authenticator code so I grabbed my phone and put in the code but it wouldn't accept it. Any ideas? I sync'd it and tried a few times and nada, can't log in.

Jhriad

I went to play Hearthstone after not playing it(or any battlenet game) for a couple months or so, it needed an update then asked for my login. It then asked for my authenticator code so I grabbed my phone and put in the code but it wouldn't accept it. Any ideas? I sync'd it and tried a few times and nada, can't log in.

Did you get a new phone since the last time you used the authenticator? It is linked to the device.

Try exiting the BNet client and opening it again. I've had similar issues, and this fixed the problem. I think it might just get confused sometimes.

Did you get a new phone since the last time you used the authenticator? It is linked to the device.
Ah, that's what happened, thanks. I did get a new phone not that long ago. I'm guessing I need the serial number/restore code thing to fix it? I probably wrote it down somewhere, but that was years ago, not sure if I can find it.

2-3 with that deck :(

I really screwed up in one game, but in the others I played fine.
At least I got a legendary in the solitary card pack I got (The Beast)

Ah, that's what happened, thanks. I did get a new phone not that long ago. I'm guessing I need the serial number/restore code thing to fix it? I probably wrote it down somewhere, but that was years ago, not sure if I can find it.

You should be able to remove it from your account on battle.net. I've had to do that when formatting a phone before.

chris-013

I just win a ranked game with 1 hp left against a mage with 24hp that was so crazy !

2 hp left, he said "Well played", used Arcane missiles, one on my hero, two on Gurubashi Berserker ! And the last one on another minion then he drop a legendary card who give him fireball but he didn't have enough mana to use it. Too bad for him I had 6 minions on the board and 2 bloodlust + rockbiter weapon to counter.

Blizzard need to implement a replay mode... It's very easy to do for a card game and they already have the experience on their rts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom