• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ha. I got several "Well Playeds" in my last arena run each time I did a Crazed Alchemist / Stampeding Kodo combo. They don't exactly see that one coming.

johnsmith

remember me
I am so damn bad at this game. I'm stuck below rank 10 no matter what deck I play. I guess getting to rank 3 last season was a damn fluke.

And apparently the low teens are devoid of miracle rogues. It's all priests, mages, and druids. Time to go back to midrange hunter.

Virdix

Just drafted a Rogue deck, the best thing happened.

2014-05-15

Oh No!

2014-05-15

Excuse the blurriness I used my S4 cause I'm stupid.

Takuhi

Can someone explain to me how "the stack" works in this game (to use MTG terminology).

Like, I had a bunch of guys including a Cult Master, who lets you draw a card when one of your other minions dies. My opponent plays the Abomination (taunt, Deathrattle: 2 damage to everything). I send a guy at it, my guy dies, I draw a card. I send a second guy at it, killing the Abomination and triggering the 2 damage ability, which kills everything, including my Cult Master. I draw... 0 cards. No cards from the guy who died killing the abomination, no cards from all the guys who died at the same time as the Cult Master.

If this were MtG, I'd have drawn cards for both situations. What's different in Hearthstone?

Volimar

Can someone explain to me how "the stack" works in this game (to use MTG terminology).

Like, I had a bunch of guys including a Cult Master, who lets you draw a card when one of your other minions dies. My opponent plays the Abomination (taunt, Deathrattle: 2 damage to everything). I send a guy at it, my guy dies, I draw a card. I send a second guy at it, killing the Abomination and triggering the 2 damage ability, which kills everything, including my Cult Master. I draw... 0 cards. No cards from the guy who died killing the abomination, no cards from all the guys who died at the same time as the Cult Master.

If this were MtG, I'd have drawn cards for both situations. What's different in Hearthstone?

It's not last in, first out like MtG. All the triggers happen at once, then it checks to see if your creature is alive for the trigger to finish resolving. That's why you see creatures with enrage buff up even when they get lethal damage. The Cult Master's effect triggered, but when the game checked to see if he was still alive for it to resolve, it found he wasn't so it got cancelled.

If that makes any sense for you.

Card Boy

Banned
I saw the funisest thing i have ever seen in Hearthstone. I was loosing after some Priest used Auchenai Soulpriest and Circle of Healing wiped my whole board. I was just putting whatever minions i had left out and on the Priests go he drops Northshire Cleric and tries to heal is Auchenai Soulpriest lol.

I won the game after that.

I saw the funisest thing i have ever seen in Hearthstone. I was loosing after some Priest used Auchenai Soulpriest and Circle of Healing wiped my whole board. I was just putting whatever minions i had left out and on the Priests go he drops Northshire Cleric and tries to heal is Auchenai Soulpriest lol.

I won the game after that.

Just now a priest played soulpriest circle to clear my board, except he only had 9 HP left. I figured there must be some way to punish him for it, but I had no charge minions or direct damage spells in my hand. Then I realized I was holding healing touch and faceless manipulator.

I could practically taste the salt.

Just now a priest played soulpriest circle to clear my board, except he only had 9 HP left. I figured there must be some way to punish him for it, but I had no charge minions or direct damage spells in my hand. Then I realized I was holding healing touch and faceless manipulator.

I could practically taste the salt.

Ok, healing touch is going into my druid deck.

Speaking of tasting salt, I beat a shaman with mage today and he had some words about how I am a dumbass loser. I told him thanks, you just lost to a bottom 3 class while playing a top 4 class. lol

Is there any good guide for the arena?
I stopped playing it since I could never get more than 2 wins, but getting packs using only dailies is way too slow.

BTW, the list of cards that are good for the Arena is bullshit. I tried to stick to it, and i got beaten countless times by people who obviously didn't.

Speaking of tasting salt, I beat a shaman with mage today and he had some words about how I am a dumbass loser. I told him thanks, you just lost to a bottom 3 class while playing a top 4 class. lol

Meh, any class can lose to any other class at pretty much any given time. Sure, there are favoured match-ups. But winning or losing isn't always 100% based on skill/class, as RNG can and will lose people matches.

That being said, his attitude fucking sucks.

Volimar

Changing quests:

40gp
click
40gp
click
60gp
click
40gp
click
60gp
click
40gp
click
100gp
click
FUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!
<sigh>
40gp
click
40gp
click
60gp
click
40gp
click
60gp
click
40gp
click

I use http://www.arenavalue.com/ to help draft my cards, but I still kinda suck.

I honestly think people put waaaaaay too much stock in that site. It's good to get a very general view of how good a card is, but it's not going to make you a good arena player by itself. You really need a good understanding of what classes work with what cards; when to go for card synergies, overall card value, or for what best fills out your curve; how to properly mulligan for what class you're facing; and how to best utilize each card.

Assigning a general value to each card will not make you a good arena player alone. I'd honestly recommend watching streamers or YouTubers to get a good understanding of the game in action, in addition to reading basic guides.

One little-known YouTuber I enjoy in addition to the obvious ones like Trump and Kripparian is PapaBoris. He has a tiny sub count, comparatively, but he's very adept at arena and makes watching Hearthstone fun.

My 2c, at least.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
so to go with the golden black knight from earlier today, I just got a golden prophet velen.

opened hundreds of packs before today and just gotten one gold legendary, and today I nab two!

Takuhi

It's not last in, first out like MtG. All the triggers happen at once, then it checks to see if your creature is alive for the trigger to finish resolving. That's why you see creatures with enrage buff up even when they get lethal damage. The Cult Master's effect triggered, but when the game checked to see if he was still alive for it to resolve, it found he wasn't so it got cancelled.

If that makes any sense for you.

That does make sense, thanks!

5 wins and 1 loss so far on my current Arena run, thanks to the ludicrous Unleash the Hounds/Cult Master combo. Goddamn do I love that Cult Master, even if the timing rules make him not quite as broken as I thought.

Tricked a Paladin into playing Tirion after using black knight on a sunwalker, and I dispatched him with Faceless -> mark of the wild -> BGH. Consecrate -> pyromancer -> equality kills my tirion next turn, and I use the Druid hero power out of habit, and panic the fuck out because I think I just destroyed my ashbringer.

Turns out the druid power only adds an extra attack value and doesn't count as a weapon! The more you know!

Healing touch seems pretty necessary in a bunch of matchups, I've found. I thought about running farseers instead but I feel like I usually need the healing more than the body. Plus I feel more comfortable using my ancient of lore for card draw instead of saving it for healing in a lot of situations.

So this Hunterstone game is getting a bit annoying. on the plus side they all have the same strategy, now i just need to figure out the best way to stomp them,

Sickbean

I know people think Priests who run Faceless and MC are scrubs, but for me it's the only way to keep up higher on the ladder where everyone else has a deck full of legendaries, and I've just got Rag.

I know people think Priests who run Faceless and MC are scrubs, but for me it's the only way to keep up higher on the ladder where everyone else has a deck full of legendaries, and I've just got Rag.

Faceless and MC are necessary in any decent Priest deck, and faceless + shadow word is an amazing combo, but running 2 MCs is not really that good, especially in a meta dominated by aggro warlock/hunter and miracle rogues. I suppose if you know exactly what kind of deck you're facing you can run two mind controls, and priest can load a deck with enough answers for the strongest control decks like handlock, ramp, or control warrior.

I'm sort of having second thoughts about having cabal shadow priest in my deck, because it seems like it's only very good value if your opponent plays a harvest golem, which is increasingly rare in most top-tier decks and not really that helpful against zoo decks that run it.

Sickbean

Faceless and MC are necessary in any decent Priest deck, and faceless + shadow word is an amazing combo, but running 2 MCs is not really that good, especially in a meta dominated by aggro warlock/hunter and miracle rogues. I suppose if you know exactly what kind of deck you're facing you can run two mind controls, and priest can load a deck with enough answers for the strongest control decks like handlock, ramp, or control warrior.

I'm sort of having second thoughts about having cabal shadow priest in my deck, because it seems like it's only very good value if your opponent plays a harvest golem, which is increasingly rare in most top-tier decks and not really that helpful against zoo decks that run it.

Yeah, I think 2 x Faceless and 1 x mind control is probably the sweet spot, especially as you say Faceless + shadow word effectively grants you another MC for either 7 or 8 mana, depending on which you use.

Meh, any class can lose to any other class at pretty much any given time. Sure, there are favoured match-ups. But winning or losing isn't always 100% based on skill/class, as RNG can and will lose people matches.

That being said, his attitude fucking sucks.

Not sure why you're bringing up facts about the game that we are all aware of. Still I'm gonna talk back to some guy who needs to friend me and talk smack.

Besides, the win wasn't RNG... he was just mad that I won with a pyroblast while he had a wall of taunts.

Healing touch seems pretty necessary in a bunch of matchups, I've found. I thought about running farseers instead but I feel like I usually need the healing more than the body. Plus I feel more comfortable using my ancient of lore for card draw instead of saving it for healing in a lot of situations.

I've been running farseers. Mainly cause I like the 3 drop. Maybe I'll just stick to that.

Sickbean

I've been playing the game for over a month, and I've only just this second won my first game in arena!

(as in, the very first game to go 1-0, not the first game ever)

12-0 incoming

Newline

Just played against Ekop (former #1 Legend EU) and won :D He was playing the usual handlock which seems to be 50/50 vs my Control Warrior. Facelessing his Molten giant then following up with a cruel taskmaster / execute combo won me the game.

Kosma

Banned
Rogue used two shadowsteps in turn two on his Murloc with charge to try to kill my shieldbearer ?

Dont mind if you do rogue

Just played against Ekop (former #1 Legend EU) and won :D He was playing the usual handlock which seems to be 50/50 vs my Control Warrior. Facelessing his Molten giant then following up with a cruel taskmaster / execute combo won me the game.

Props!

ViviOggi

I hope you bm'd him

Ekop_Image.jpg

Zakalwe

Banned
Also, unlike secrets, weapons can be used the round they are played reducing the impact of ooze to some degree.

A single minion with a "destroy last secret played" battelcry would be fine. Secrets could be stacked, one secret could be destroyed.

Also risk of lack of efficiency versus most decks not running secrets would mean not everyoen would run it. Make it a 2cc and it would be far from an auto include unless the meta dictated.

Sandwich

Neo Member
Is this a bug or an exploit? I'm currently playing this guy that made the game freak out somehow. I'm obviously not sure he is the cause but I worry about it. He wasn't doing so well in rank 7 match with me and he has 2 cards left in his hand. He picks up 1 card and holds it out over the board. Then the card stays there for a few seconds. Then, while the card stays out floating on the board, he picks up the other card and holds it directly ontop of the first card. Then he holds it there for like 2 minutes. Then the red targeting arrow starts freaking out and now it points at my hero from way off the right side of the screen somewhere. And the game stays like this forever. Neither he nor I am getting disconnected and the round wont end. So I am forced to wait forever or concede the match. I can do emotes but nothing else.

I've been waiting 20 minutes so far. (I am playing solitare on my ipad, which is why I don't mind waiting for as long as I have)

Is this a bug or an exploit? I'm currently playing this guy that made the game freak out somehow. I'm obviously not sure he is the cause but I worry about it. He wasn't doing so well in rank 7 match with me and he has 2 cards left in his hand. He picks up 1 card and holds it out over the board. Then the card stays there for a few seconds. Then, while the card stays out floating on the board, he picks up the other card and holds it directly ontop of the first card. Then he holds it there for like 2 minutes. Then the red targeting arrow starts freaking out and now it points at my hero from way off the right side of the screen somewhere. And the game stays like this forever. Neither he nor I am getting disconnected and the round wont end. So I am forced to wait forever or concede the match. I can do emotes but nothing else.

I've been waiting 20 minutes so far. (I am playing solitare on my ipad, which is why I don't mind waiting for as long as I have)

It seems to me that every single time this sort of bug occurs, it is a glitch/disconnect (without actually appearing like a disconnect). There's nothing you can do in my experience besides Concede, and in many cases that won't even work, you have to Quit the game or Alt + F4 to close the entire program. I'm fairly confident this isn't an exploit, just some sort of server-side bug.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Saw it happen to Trump on stream. Seemed to be a sync issue. It actually fixed itself one time but the other time he just had to quit.

Grio

Neo Member
So this Hunterstone game is getting a bit annoying. on the plus side they all have the same strategy, now i just need to figure out the best way to stomp them,

Easy to stomp on huntards now.

Obviously, they'll still be running the UTH with buzzard or hyena, so just be aware of your minion count at all times. Turtle and board clear is the name of the game with their current meta.

If they run mid-range (you'll likely see them with a slow start, maybe hero power turn 2?), I personally like to pressure early (dependent on class obviously) so that when the bulk of their damage shows up turn 4 you're on even grounds by late game (turn 6 or so).

Best classes to ruin a hunters day right now would be Mage / Lock IMO.

Don't rage, play a mage!

Sandwich

Neo Member
Miracle rogues are getting on my nerves a bit. I can't find a way to stop their nonsense at endgame. I have over 20 health and they have 4-5 cards in the hand. I have 3 minions on the field and a card advantage and a health advantage. They have no minions on the field.

Yet they kill me in 1 turn. All my 20+ health gone. If I make sure I have a taunt up to protect myself, they just bump it back into my hand at the start of the round. And they do this even though I forced them to waste various damage-spells earlier in the match. They have plenty left to use.

Grio

Neo Member
Miracle rogues are getting on my nerves a bit. I can't find a way to stop their nonsense at endgame. I have over 20 health and they have 4-5 cards in the hand. I have 3 minions on the field and a card advantage and a health advantage. They have no minions on the field.

Yet they kill me in 1 turn. All my 20+ health gone. If I make sure I have a taunt up to protect myself, they just bump it back into my hand at the start of the round. And they do this even though I forced them to waste various damage-spells earlier in the match. They have plenty left to use.

Preaching to the choir, man. Some of those decks have insane damage output even after playing something like sunfury prot with multiple minions on the board.

Any ideas to stop the end game combos?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think its kind of ridiculous that Leeroy is so strong that he's the lynchpin in so many different decks. One card should not be that strong. The whelps never come into play so he's all plus. There's no minus. And he's so cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom