• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Oh man, I am playing my US account to try get cards before my tournament match and I was going for win number 7. It was really tense. Dude kept spamming WP at the end. He added me after.

iSKbVONL4CinZ.png

I simply pray to the Arena gods daily. They smile on me some days.

Also, Can't seem to remove him from my friends anymore haha. How he took up 6 slots, I have no idea.

I think my sodium levels just went up

TomServo

I think my sodium levels just went up

I just don't understand what he's salty about. When I play a Mage I expect poly on big minions, flame strike anytime I have 3+ minions out after turn six, and fireballs any time my opponent has the mana.

Were you not supposed to use basic Mage cards?

scy

I think this one will be popular soon. It has the same appeal as miracle rogue. The best finisher uses arcane golem instead of leeroy.

It's just a well built deck for the meta. I was just noting that the Charge + Power Overwhelming + Faceless is a pretty common Warlock one in general, not necessarily specific to that deck.

blackflag

I haven't played much ranked this "season" until now. I'm just rank 18 but I keep fighting this slow hunter deck that's terrible against warrior control. It seems auto win.

Don't really keep up with the meta or anything, I could see how it would be good against some other decks though.

Played against a miracle rogue, that shit is so easy to counter. Used keeper of the grove to silence n 8/8 van cleef, swipe to take down gadgetzan auctioneer. He started bursting leeroy with shadow steps and I had maybe 3 health left but i had 4 whelps on the board, threw down a roar, MOTW and druid of the claw in charge mode. Ended up with a 5/3, 3 3/1's, 6/4 druid and malfurion with 2 - total of 22 burst damage. Dat Miracle Druid.

Anustart

Is it possible to just stall indefinitely? I'm in a match with a guy, and on my next turn he's dead, but he just has a card floating waiting to choose a target, been like this for about 5 minutes now....

FStop7

Banned
Is it possible to just stall indefinitely? I'm in a match with a guy, and on my next turn he's dead, but he just has a card floating waiting to choose a target, been like this for about 5 minutes now....

I've had this happen it means the game/session died. Ended up counting as a loss against me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Probably new to the game so they don't have those sweet value creatures and need to substitute with Yetis.

The worst feeling is when you lose to these Yetis because no one expects the vanilla fatty.

johnsmith

remember me
Probably new to the game so they don't have those sweet value creatures and need to substitute with Yetis.

The worst feeling is when you lose to these Yetis because no one expects the vanilla fatty.

At rank 12 I lost to a shaman who coined a totem and was playing Raid Leader. Felt bad, man. I was playing hunter.

Haly

At rank 12 I lost to a shaman who coined a totem and was playing Raid Leader. Felt bad, man. I was playing hunter.
That feel so bad.

Losing to a scrub Shaman as Hunter, might as well uninstall.

In line with this discussion, I notice my Miracle decklists having a rough time with ~Rank 15 decks that eschew any sort of niche strategy and just focus on curving out. These vanilla decks tend to put a lot of pressure on Miracle Rogues because the popular Miracle decklists are really fine tuned for other high level decks. Original tries to play semi tempo. Mana Addict is for punching through Control Warriors and Control Druids. Malygos is for bypassing Lifecoach/Sunshine Hunter. But when you pit these variants against a deck that plays Yetis and Boulderfist Ogres, it's at a loss as to handling that kind of resilience. It's not running that many Saps. It's not running Assassinate. And it trades too much life early on, or relies too much on combo sweepers (Blade Flurry + Poison, Thalnos + FoK), to handle the parade of value threats.

Haly

Depends on how many Legendaries you have, and what kind of decks you like to play. Disenchanting that gets you any normal Legendary you want, but a Gold Legendary is nice and Black Knight isn't bad. It's a utility/niche card though, and not really a staple anywhere.

FStop7

Banned
I've been saving up dust, DE'd a bunch of cards I never play, got together just enough to craft golden Jaraxxus. It looks so awesome.

multivac

I want to build a solid deck that's at least partially proven in the current metagame. I have most of the rares, but the only legendary I have is Bloodmage Thalnos (actually pulled two, my only two legendaries unfortunately).

I'm a new player, but I've played many TCGs over the years, mostly MTG, so I know my way around and I most highly value competiveness when playing any TCG.

What deck would you guys suggest considering I only have 2295 dust before I start disenchanting stuff I don't have extras of (but likely won't use)?

johnsmith

remember me
Trying out kolento's new warlock deck in casual. I suck at it. I've got some wins, but its too easy to get overwhelmed waiting for turn 10.

Water

I want to build a solid deck that's at least partially proven in the current metagame. I have most of the rares, but the only legendary I have is Bloodmage Thalnos (actually pulled two, my only two legendaries unfortunately).

I'm a new player, but I've played many TCGs over the years, mostly MTG, so I know my way around and I most highly value competiveness when playing any TCG.

What deck would you guys suggest considering I only have 2295 dust before I start disenchanting stuff I don't have extras of (but likely won't use)?
Earlier in the thread I asked about cheap decks being viable at the absolute top level, and Inky pointed out two tournament-caliber deck lists (shaman and warlock). They aren't so cheap that I could afford even the cheaper shaman deck yet, at least without dusting useful cards, but you can probably afford both decks immediately. If you happened to have all the rares and the commons, it's just 400 dust for the single epic in the shaman deck, 1600 dust for the single legendary in the lock deck.

Kosma

Banned
ARGH rngod decided this is the arena game I don't draw either the Flamestrike or Blizzard from my deck. 12 cards left btw, what are the odds on that?!

6-3 run

CMSILf5.jpg

arimanius

I'm loving kolento's new deck. Don't have half the cards but still doing well with it. Best thing about it is killing someone out of nowhere after they have been spamming emotes the last few turns.

inky

Earlier in the thread I asked about cheap decks being viable at the absolute top level, and Inky pointed out two tournament-caliber deck lists (shaman and warlock). They aren't so cheap that I could afford even the cheaper shaman deck yet, at least without dusting useful cards, but you can probably afford both decks immediately. If you happened to have all the rares and the commons, it's just 400 dust for the single epic in the shaman deck, 1600 dust for the single legendary in the lock deck.

You can do the Warlock deck (Zoo) without Black Knight even. That's more of a personal preference pick, but even pros do great without it.

Also, that Shaman deck might be the most underrated deck in the whole game. I've seen some people run without the Lava Bursts and just have annoying creatures like Yetis or Golems. Shaman doesn't have much variety, but it is very consistent for gaining ranks and the deck is super easy to make.

Zeroth

4 Fireballs/Pyro = ez 12

Sometimes the drafts are just too good.

TlMlW47.jpg

Went 12-0 with a mage draft this week. I don't have a pic of the full deck, but here's some of it. Despite my curve being heavily into the 4s, I had enough tools to never feel pressured by the opponent, and the Fireballs gave me enough raw damage to destroy any threat and end the match before my opponent could realize what I was doing. Iceblock in particular was extremely important to give me breathing space, though I have to admit it only really saved me in one game, and only because I intentionally let it happen to see my opponent rage :p

Also, tigers are amazing in Arena. Since there usual combos that kill em before they attack are gone, you have a lot of opportunities to use them in order to keep board control.

Sandwich

Neo Member
I play EU. Name ingame is "Iffe".

I'm a bit tired of ranked mode after messing around at rank 6ish for a while. Got bored playing against the same decks over and over. Also got bored of playing WITH the same decks over and over.

So now I'm in casual mode having a blast. I'm trying out this really interesting priest deck. I need to do changes to it because it's either super powerful or lacks punch to the point where 3 games in a row ends up with fatigue race.

It's centered around having 2/7 minions and such that have a lot of health for their mana cost. Then stocking up on spells that double the minions HP and then equals their attack to their HP. So at turn 6 I often have 2 minions that are 14/14 and the opponent just quits the game. It's not a pure gimmick deck though. I try to balance it out with basic strong stuff that doesn't depend on buffs. I have minions that have good synergy with heals and such. It's a very "I'm a priest and this is what priest do!"-deck.

I could use some input and suggestions for it though. Keep in mind that this is VERY work in progress. It's open for some big changes so if you have any thoughts, please let me know:

2x Inner Fire (important)
1x Mind Vision (Ok to have at beginning of match for random helpful stuff. I mostly think it's fun)
1x Lightwarden (Good synergy with heals)
2x Northshire Cleric (Good synergy with heals)
2x Divine Spirit (Important)
1x Shadow Word: Pain (I find 1 to be enough for removing strong early minions)
1x Acidic Swamp Ooze (Weapon destruction whenever needed)
1x Crazed Alchemist (Great synergy and utility in this deck)
1x Lightwell (Can be turned into a 5/5 by using inner fire. 10/10 if HP-buffed)
1x Shadow Word: Death (For those annoying giant minions)
1x Earthen Ring Farseer (For healing up lightspawns and such)
1x Harvest Golem (Just strong early game support-minion)
1x Shattered Sun Cleric (For buffing whatever 1-2 cost minions I played)
1x Auchenai Soulpriest (Relatively strong minion and surprise 2 damage)
1x Chillwind Yeti (Fatty midgame support-minion)
2x Defender of Argus (Buffs and protection)
2x Lightspawn (Great synergy with health buffs and heals)
1x Oasis Snapjaw (Good to buff with Inner Fire for turn 5 7/7. Turn 4 if you have coin still)
2x Holy Nova (obvious)
1x Faceless Manipulator (Copy buffed minions or opponents endgame legendary)
1x Gurubashi Berserker (Same as Snapjaw, but better)
1x Cabal Shadow Priest (Great for taking those strong smaller minions played late game)
1x Prophet Velen (Not sure about this one. May replace it as I rarely get good use out of it)
1x Mind Control (endgame nonsense if needed)

I have played 6 games so far in casual and won all of them with this deck. The reason I have 1 snapjaw and 1 Gurubashi, is because I'd rather have a turn 4 and 5 minion for buffing than to have 2 turn 5's or 2 turn 4's. The reason I don't have more of them is because there's no point having more minions than I have buffs. Between those 2 and the 2 Lightspawns I have just enough buffs.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Gonna change my battleid cause I've had the same one for like 15 years.. then I'll put it up if people on US ever want to play. Not sure why I haven't thought of playing gafers yet.

Kolento's shaman.. damn.. what a solid deck. I usually run a more aggressive one with lava bursts but I built his pretty much card for card (minus one argent for a facelss) and just rekt a kitkat war whose last 4 cards were ysera->rag->bgh (my faceless of rag)>alex.

Doomshine

Man, I'm so pissed. I'm usually not one to call bullshit, but I just had a reeaaally critical turn where I suddenly couldn't do anything. So the turn times out with me unable to play anything of worth and of course my opponent can play just fine and everything is back to normal after that.

...long story short, that lost turn would've won me the game... because the mage I was fighting had ice block. He was of course very happy to rub that in with emotes on the last turn.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Run it in Warrior with Armorsmiths and Frothing Berserkers for the lulz. Get them on the board, then Onyxia + Whirlwind for profit. Or drop down double Jugglers and then drop Onyxia for maximum fun.

Nah, just dust it.

No joke I just threw it in my control war and queued up just to see if this can happen lol. Will report back in 10 mins..

update: (drew it in my first 2 turns so we'll def play it)

I'm an expert

Nevermind.. made him concede by turn 7.. the power of hogger against miracle rogue.

I went 5-3 in the end. I struggled getting enough draw power to really put up much of a fight. Still, I'm kinda pleased with it.

Yeah, it's a good run. War is a tough draft usually.

I'm an expert

Do you play Hogger in your Warrior Control deck? Sounds kind of interesting, I haven't tried him myself in mine.

I wish I saw this 10 seconds ago. Just beat a zoo lock thanks to hogger and could have taken a screenshot. I put him in essentially for that reason right now - too many zoos. If I stalled well enough, by the time I drop him, it's essentially gonna buy me one more turn if I'm fishing for a brawl or other removal. Also put in a frost elemental which actually just saved me in this game by freezing a sun cleric that could have killed my first hogger taunt. All praise to Reynad for frost elemental value.

However, I'm still missing Rag and Alex from my control deck so that's essentially why I can fill the spots with whatever I want right now. Right now I'm trying to see if Onyxia ever works for anything but looking cool.

Ikkarus

I wish I saw this 10 seconds ago. Just beat a zoo lock thanks to hogger and could have taken a screenshot. I put him in essentially for that reason right now - too many zoos.

However, I'm still missing Rag and Alex from my control deck so that's essentially why I can fill the spots with whatever I want right now. Right now I'm trying to see if Onyxia ever works for anything but looking cool.

Hmm, I might give him a go, swap him out for Cairne as he's proven a bit slow for me lately. Zoo is everywhere at the mo (I'm at rank 12) so anything which slows them down is good in my books, I always enjoy dropping Baron Geddon on them if I reach round 7. :)

I have both Alex and Rag, whilst Rag is great dropping Alex really is a great feeling, especially if you have Grommash in your hand.

I'm an expert

Run it in Warrior with Armorsmiths and Frothing Berserkers for the lulz. Get them on the board, then Onyxia + Whirlwind for profit. Or drop down double Jugglers and then drop Onyxia for maximum fun.

Nah, just dust it.

Update, just ran him in a bloodlust deck that I made basically for him. First game against a control war, I pull off turn 9 Onyxia, turn 10 double bloodlust. I feel like I should just retire the deck right here with its legendary status..

Hmm, I might give him a go, swap him out for Cairne as he's proven a bit slow for me lately. Zoo is everywhere at the mo (I'm at rank 12) so anything which slows them down is good in my books, I always enjoy dropping Baron Geddon on them if I reach round 7. :)

I have both Alex and Rag, whilst Rag is great dropping Alex really is a great feeling, especially if you have Grommash in your hand.

It really is just for a turn stall usually. Most of the time they have the soul fire answer and just bump the taunt off. If you can have it survive one turn, you pretty much won. I got lucky that game that I had brawl->hogger->frost. Other games it's not that lucky. Cairne is a great card but I think in this meta he's kinda getting bumped out. He's good, just a bit boring.

I've had a very strange battle just now.
I played a warrior and was playing against a druid.
Eventually, he ran out of cards while I still had 3.
His last card was hogger.
3 turns later, I managed to get rid of his hogger and everything else on his board, but my side remained empty as well.
At that point, my HP was 23 and his 13.
Maybe he didn't know the rules of the game, or maybe he wasn't very strong in math, but instead of conceding, he kept using his hero power and attacking me, even though my HP was higher and I took less damage than he did each turn.
So for 3-4 we just kept activating our hero powers (it was unnecessary , but I did it just to be safe) until his inevitable end.
Sometimes I can't understand people. There can't be a more obvious losing position than that, but for some reason he wished to waste his time.

I'm an expert

Shrug, sometimes I don't do the math in my head in those situations and just play it out. They're quick turns, ya never know, sometimes people make mistakes or miscount.

random thought: shaman's 1/1 totem should have haste

Shrug, sometimes I don't do the math in my head in those situations and just play it out. They're quick turns, ya never know, sometimes people make mistakes or miscount.

random thought: shaman's 1/1 totem should have haste
You really don't have to do much thinking to figure that if you have less HP and take more damage each turn you are gonna lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom