• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Well then, he felt absolutely awful losing to you, wanted to drag the game out as long as possible, and hopes you enjoyed the BM to da face.

Sandwich

Neo Member
Priest is kinda silly if the opponent doesn't have silence ready. Turn 1 coin+lightwell. Turn 2 Inner fire for a 5/5 that heals 3 every turn.

Kinda hard to deal with. Just beat a druid on turn 5 because he didn't have silence to deal with it.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
what's with people thinking casual is some special mode where stuff doesn't happen or isn't allowed.. it's probably the most played mode

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, anybody got some tips for dealing with Handlock? You can't wait because it'll get them more cards and if you wait too long they get their taunts up. You can't rush them down because lol Molten Giants. You can't play low minions because Soulfire / Hellfire / Shadowbolt / Shadowflame. I'm just having a really hard time dealing with them and all I usually can do is pray for getting removal early (which is a pain when you just threw big removal out of your starting hand expecting Zoolock), rely on them not getting Molten Giants on time (unlikely, since if you don't burst, they'll have drawn through a third of their deck by the time you have lethal) or somehow getting insane burst damage combo.

Pls help. ;(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ugh, anybody got some tips for dealing with Handlock? You can't wait because it'll get them more cards and if you wait too long they get their taunts up. You can't rush them down because lol Molten Giants. You can't play low minions because Soulfire / Hellfire / Shadowbolt / Shadowflame. I'm just having a really hard time dealing with them and all I usually can do is pray for getting removal early (which is a pain when you just threw big removal out of your starting hand expecting Zoolock), rely on them not getting Molten Giants on time (unlikely, since if you don't burst, they'll have drawn through a third of their deck by the time you have lethal) or somehow getting insane burst damage combo.

Pls help. ;(

Faceless Manipulator and Big Game Hunter.

Priest is kinda silly if the opponent doesn't have silence ready. Turn 1 coin+lightwell. Turn 2 Inner fire for a 5/5 that heals 3 every turn.

Kinda hard to deal with. Just beat a druid on turn 5 because he didn't have silence to deal with it.

Yeah if a Priest can get that combo early, they've probably won. That's a hard combo to get though, as you need to go second and pull both Lightwell and Inner Fire into your starting hand. Not easy.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Faceless Manipulator and Big Game Hunter.
Which are already in my deck, but I mulligan them out of my hand because that's the safe play considering Zoolock and it takes too long to get it back out of my deck. And it just takes care of one Giant.

Sandwich

Neo Member
Which are already in my deck, but I mulligan them out of my hand because that's the safe play considering Zoolock and it takes too long to get it back out of my deck. And it just takes care of one Giant.

I mostly play paladin in ranked where all the zoolocks are and in addition to big game hunter, there's equality and attack-debuffs and such. I usually have enough such things to deal with all their giants. Then the rest of the deck is full of strong minions and swords and such to deal with their smaller minions. Works out ok.

What class do you play?

ZealousD

This is a Paladin deck I'm working on. It's kinda built around Divine Shield and Repetence. I'm pretty much annoying my opponents to death. It's a WIP as there are some cards that seem obvious that I don't have (Argent Commander, Cairne Bloodhoof) but otherwise I like playing with it.

LLyPHv9.jpg

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I only started playing a couple of weeks ago and I'm thoroughly addicted. So far, I prefer to play as a Priest or Rogue. I also got Gruul today, which I'm quite chuffed about. I hear a lot about the meta game. What is this? Can any of you kind experts please help me out?

I'm an expert

Looks similar to the pally deck I just built for my daily. I pretty much had the same deck goal, right down to the random secretkeeper I threw in in too. Though I do have the commanders and Cairne, but no justice or avenging.

Sandwich

Neo Member
I only started playing a couple of weeks ago and I'm thoroughly addicted. So far, I prefer to play as a Priest or Rogue. I also got Gruul today, which I'm quite chuffed about. I hear a lot about the meta game. What is this? Can any of you kind experts please help me out?

As I understand it, "the game" is just the rules of the gameplay. As in, how the game works in general. Then the "meta-game" is like.. the game within the game. So in the case of Hearthstone, it's the specific strategies and decks that players use in the really competitive aspects of the game (ranked mode). This is where the terms "miracle rogue" and "zoolock" come from.

Miracle Rogue and Zoolock are examples of the specific strategies that skilled competitive players use. So "understanding the meta" is understanding these strategies and coming up with your own strategies to counter theirs in order to beat them.

So "meta" is basically just "what you need to do to win versus the current popular strategies". And this meta changes a lot. Because people keep changing their strategies to stay one step ahead of other peoples strategies. And if you do well at this, then you do well at "the meta".

That's how I understand it at least.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
in Arena, someone Crazed Alchemisted my Venture Co Merc from 7/1 into 1/7. Painful.

Then they shadow worded it....

I just kept spamming the Thank You emote

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

As I understand it, "the game" is just the rules of the gameplay. As in, how the game works in general. Then the "meta-game" is like.. the game within the game. So in the case of Hearthstone, it's the specific strategies and decks that players use in the really competitive aspects of the game (ranked mode). This is where the terms "miracle rogue" and "zoolock" come from.

Miracle Rogue and Zoolock are examples of the specific strategies that skilled competitive players use. So "understanding the meta" is understanding these strategies and coming up with your own strategies to counter theirs in order to beat them.

So "meta" is basically just "what you need to do to win versus the current popular strategies". And this meta changes a lot. Because people keep changing their strategies to stay one step ahead of other peoples strategies. And if you do well at this, then you do well at "the meta".

That's how I understand it at least.

Thanks.

johnsmith

remember me
in Arena, someone Crazed Alchemisted my Venture Co Merc from 7/1 into 1/7. Painful.

Then they shadow worded it....

I just kept spamming the Thank You emote

Lol, I've done that. but I was smart enough to leave it alive.

And I just hit rank 5. Now the real grind begins.

ZealousD

Looks similar to the pally deck I just built for my daily. I pretty much had the same deck goal, right down to the random secretkeeper I threw in in too. Though I do have the commanders and Cairne, but no justice or avenging.

Yeah I'm debating the justice. It's pretty nice if you have it up while redemption procs on a Scarlet Crusader, though.

The Avenging Wrath has saved me a couple times. Depending on the circumstances it can be like a third Consecration or it could be something that knocks a giant into the kill range.

The nice thing about this deck is that you almost always have board presence. Players really have to work at it to throw any of your minions off the board.

I'm an expert

Yeah I'm debating the justice. It's pretty nice if you have it up while redemption procs on a Scarlet Crusader, though.

The Avenging Wrath has saved me a couple times. Depending on the circumstances it can be like a third Consecration or it could be something that knocks a giant into the kill range.

It's a fun deck. Just stomped a murlock. With this many shields I kinda just want to make it a Blood Knight deck..

Pls help. ;(

I usually save all direct damage spells that can hit face (or at least try very hard). Early aggression works. Make sure they don't have an ancient watcher up to shadowflame at 4 mana. If I have them down to around 15 on turn 6-7 I usually try to get them down to lethal via spells before turn 9. If it is later I just try to sorta slowly whittle them down and remove giants.

Really depends on the deck too. With druid I am able to play a longer game but with rogue it is usually getting that burst combo in when they are low on hp.

I generally use black knight, BGH, sap in rogue

And in druid I have keepers for silence, BGH, black knight

johnsmith

remember me
Are you still using that modified Zoolock? Or am I confused with someone else

Im stuck at rank 9 now, was 8 yesterday :(

Yeah, but I'm still fiddling with it a bit. Added in a faceless manipulator to be able to replicate kolento's 1TK. You can still win without it as a normal zoo deck, but just adds another win condition. But more often my board + power overwhelming + Leroy or a Doomguard are enough for a win.

Butane123

So, I only started playing a few weeks ago, and I've been going the free route, so I only have a handfull of good cards I really use.

I have Harrison Jones and have been trying to decide if I want to disenchant it or not. I never use it and it seems fairly niche. Any advice?

I'm an expert

So, I only started playing a few weeks ago, and I've been going the free route, so I only have a handfull of good cards I really use.

I have Harrison Jones and have been trying to decide if I want to disenchant it or not. I never use it and it seems fairly niche. Any advice?

It's niche but still a value card since rogues/wars/hunters/pallies/shams all use weapons heavily even at the top ranks. Keep it.

JesseZao

I'm a free player, too. I wouldn't dust any legendary for 400. If you get a golden version, feel free, but it takes long enough to get 1600 that I'd hold on to it.

johnsmith

remember me
Yay for people that don't know how to do math. Guy had lethal on the board, could have killed me, but decided to trade, giving me the 1 extra turn I needed to blast him in the face with Starfire and claw to the face. The fact that he had like 6 minions on the board and I had armor must have confused him.

And I just realized a faceless manipulator can't attack the turn it lands unless you copy something with charge. Probably not worth keeping in my deck bc of that. Though maybe it is, at least to copy a rag or something, hmm.

Ikkarus

Yay for people that don't know how to do math. Guy had lethal on the board, could have killed me, but decided to trade, giving me the 1 extra turn I needed to blast him in the face with Starfire and claw to the face. The fact that he had like 6 minions on the board and I had armor must have confused him.

And I just realized a faceless manipulator can't attack the turn it lands unless you copy something with charge. Probably not worth keeping in my deck bc of that. Though maybe it is, at least to copy a rag or something, hmm.
For the Wild!

It is great when someone misplays an opportunity for lethal, especially if you kill them in the following round.

Lyng

Faceless rag is super fun and super hard to deal with.

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
Jesus, is everyone playing zoolock now? I keep facing them one after another in ranked. Luckily, I've been able to out aggro them for the majority of matches but jeez it's getting stale.

Card Boy

Banned
Jesus, is everyone playing zoolock now? I keep facing them one after another in ranked. Luckily, I've been able to out aggro them for the majority of matches but jeez it's getting stale.

This is what happens when you don't introduce new cards or mechanics regulary into the game and keep changing the meta. You start seeing the same thing all the time.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Introducing new cards isn't going to change anything as long as they're expensive in terms of dust/gold.

People play Zoolock because it's cheap and effective. It's not even the best deck in the meta, but it's the best deck at its price range.

SteveWD40

Now creeping up the ranks with Trumps version of "Watcha Teachin?" seems pretty good so far, had to trade Ysera for Cairne as I don't have Cairne and I get so much value from that card.

Every time I have a winning streak in casual,I'm starting to see players with a lot of legendaries and epics.
I thought the matching in casual is completely random.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Irony being Hunter is still probably as strong as Warlock.

But people disenchanted their UTHs too fast to notice.

Water

Every time I have a winning streak in casual,I'm starting to see players with a lot of legendaries and epics.
I thought the matching in casual is completely random.

No, it has matchmaking that is separate from the ranked play, the rank is just hidden. Presumably many people will be going in casual with a loldeck one day and testing their serious decks the next day, so to accommodate that, the matchmaking is tuned differently - a win/lose streak is meant to change your rank fast. It's quite an elegant solution, although I think there should be an option to maintain several "accounts" that share the same card pool, so you could elect to have your Divine Spirit-Murloc deck and your Miracle Rogue deck ranked separate from each other permanently.

Casual would be a pretty terrible experience if it was completely random - newbies would get owned 9 times out of 10.

I need to learn to trust the cards when I have both a gadgetzan and a mana addict on the board. I don't need to do math, just start playing cards and you'll get lethal even if it takes every card you have in your deck before you get it.

Edit: Also, I've started to run a master of disguise in my mana addict miracle deck and it's actually not that bad. I've realized conceal is the most important card in that deck (even more than gadgetzan) and it's a good idea to have an one in there to stealth my gadgetzan or mana addict so I have a better chance of setting up a kill combo.

sohois

Really feels like I'm beginning to hit a card wall at rank 10 and it's not just legendaries - every player is packing epics I can't even match, on top of 3+ legendaries. I'm running a paladin deck without Equality, I'm short a Defender of Argus and an Azure Drake, no Faceless manipulator, no Blood Knight.

granted a big part of this is that I've basically stopped buying cards to save up for the single player stuff, but it's still really annoying to have player after player just being able to play things I can't match.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Really feels like I'm beginning to hit a card wall at rank 10 and it's not just legendaries - every player is packing epics I can't even match, on top of 3+ legendaries. I'm running a paladin deck without Equality, I'm short a Defender of Argus and an Azure Drake, no Faceless manipulator, no Blood Knight.

granted a big part of this is that I've basically stopped buying cards to save up for the single player stuff, but it's still really annoying to have player after player just being able to play things I can't match.

Can't you dust?

Kosma

Banned

If youre short on epics and rares thats a bigger problem then those one off Legs.

Also Pally is not really the cheap dust class to play. Try Zoolock!

If youre short on epics and rares thats a bigger problem then those one off Legs.

Also Pally is not really the cheap dust class to play. Try Zoolock!

Aggro Paladin is viable and pretty cheap, but since it shares 90% of its cards with Zoo it's not played much because Zoo is way better. Better resistance to AOE with divine shields and having sword of justice aren't really comparable to infinite card draw and amazing burst. Plus blessing of kings really serves the same purpose as power overwhelming in a rush deck but costs 3 more.

As someone that generally enjoys Arena more than Constructed, I have to say, I am more excited to see what cards I get to pick from in my Arena draft than I am when I am opening my Arena reward packs. I hardly use the cards from the packs, but man, a crazy Arena draft is so much fun to have.

Tash

How I feel while getting owned by Zoolocks and Aggro Hunters:

aM17je6_460sa.gif

I've been practicing game mechanics while playing Trump's free mage but while I was able to get to 14, I now keep losing to all the aggro decks that seem to have everything they need right in the starting hand :/ went all the way back to 17 -.-
Time to change class :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom