• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question. I just started playing yesterday. I unlocked all the heroes and levelled up a few times on Mage and unlocked some new cards. But out of like 6 matches, the new cards I've gotten from levelling up have never been in my deck. How come?

Quick question. I just started playing yesterday. I unlocked all the heroes and levelled up a few times on Mage and unlocked some new cards. But out of like 6 matches, the new cards I've gotten from levelling up have never been in my deck. How come?

You need to create a new custom deck and add the new cards in if you want to use them.

Rockyrock

did you put them in your current deck or are you still using the default ones?

RealMeat

Banned

You need to create a custom deck under the collection menu. May want to get all the basic cards first.

Thanks I assumed they would be added to the default deck.

Edit: How rare are legendaries? I just got one on my first expert pack I ever opened, lol.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks I assumed they would be added to the default deck.

Edit: How rare are legendaries? I just got one on my first expert pack I ever opened, lol.
Some people get 1 in 10 packs, others haven't seen one in over 100 packs. The average seems to be 1 in 20 packs.

Minsc

Gold Member
Some people get 1 in 10 packs, others haven't seen one in over 100 packs. The average seems to be 1 in 20 packs.

kupviUp.png

And some people get 3 per pack. :)

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Wow.

I just had a Mage play Arcane Missiles while I had two Frothing Berserkers on my side.

The stupid plays just keep coming right at me.

I would like to know what blizzard thought for themselves when they added the "sorry" option to the chat. Why would someone apologize for destroying his opponent when it's the purpose of the game?

Minsc

Gold Member
I would like to know what blizzard thought for themselves when they added the "sorry" option to the chat. Why would someone apologize for destroying his opponent when it's the purpose of the game?

People commonly use it for RNG gone bad by their opponents.

Like if you're shaman and they have four 3-health creatures on their board and your lightning storm hits for 2 to everything, you'll probably get a sorry emote. Same if you play Mad Bomber and he hits you three times in the face instead of either of your opponents minions or your opponent.

Q8D3vil

People commonly use it for RNG gone bad by their opponents.

Like if you're shaman and they have four 3-health creatures on their board and your lightning storm hits for 2 to everything, you'll probably get a sorry emote. Same if you play Mad Bomber and he hits you three times in the face instead of either of your opponents minions or your opponent.
You just explained why my opponents say it everytime i play mad bomber :(

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
So what're some of the opinions on Grommash here? I ran him in my Warrior for a while, but I've now thrown him out for Jenkins. I just don't like sitting on Whirlwind (which is so useful in a lot of situations) just so I can later enrage Gromm with it, or having to wait for any other specific card in my deck that I put in specifically to enrage Gromm before being able to play him. And without the instant enrage, Gromm just isn't worth that much to me since he'll just be a 4 ATK battering ram that will be killed the next turn by SW:D, BGH, Execute, any minion that can take it out or just general removal like Hex or Polymorph. Leeroy does 2 more damage, costs half the Mana, and when you have a Berserker on your board, you will benefit massively from Leeroy + Whirlwind, giving Leeroy a secondary use. Sure, if you're winning the game, Grommash will make you win it more, but Leeroy is just so much more useful in more situations IMO.

Thoughts?

I've only played 3 matches against other people, and in 1 of them I crushed the other person and in the other I died without doing a single point of damage to the enemy. Does it take a while for the matchmaking system to figure out a good place for you, or do I just really suck?

Dreavus

Does anyone know if there a competitive deck out there that kills based on causing opponent card draws?

Kind of mulling over what it would involve, but not sure what to look for. Anyone seen anything like it?

Right now it's not really possible. For it to be somewhat viable, they would need to release dedicated cards/effects that burn cards off of the other player's deck. If those existed then they could be used alongside coldlight oracles and druid's naturalize.

However, I'm not sure if it's a design space they'll pursue. Blizzard is constantly talking about how "fun" different mechanics are, and likes to tone down effects that are un-fun. I think watching your cards get burned up is distressing for most casual players. I know when I used to play MTG casually, my friends would HATE to get "milled" (lose cards from the top of their deck), even though it has little to no impact on the game until they are completely empty (which makes you lose the game in MTG, and thus the point of "milling" your opponent). Something about watching your potentially good cards go into the discard sucks, even though what you're going to draw on any given turn is random anyways.

JesseZao

So what're some of the opinions on Grommash here? I ran him in my Warrior for a while, but I've now thrown him out for Jenkins. I just don't like sitting on Whirlwind (which is so useful in a lot of situations) just so I can later enrage Gromm with it, or having to wait for any other specific card in my deck that I put in specifically to enrage Gromm before being able to play him. And without the instant enrage, Gromm just isn't worth that much to me since he'll just be a 4 ATK battering ram that will be killed the next turn by SW:D, BGH, Execute, any minion that can take it out or just general removal like Hex or Polymorph. Leeroy does 2 more damage, costs half the Mana, and when you have a Berserker on your board, you will benefit massively from Leeroy + Whirlwind, giving Leeroy a secondary use. Sure, if you're winning the game, Grommash will make you win it more, but Leeroy is just so much more useful in more situations IMO.

Thoughts?

The deck style you play would dictate which to use. A heavy control deck would favor grommash. You fraw your final two hand while armoring up throughout the first 8 turn. The you play alex. Then grommash.

A mid or aggro deck would prefer Leeroy as you aren't using the majority of the game ignoring the enemy hero's hp.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I've only played 3 matches against other people, and in 1 of them I crushed the other person and in the other I died without doing a single point of damage to the enemy. Does it take a while for the matchmaking system to figure out a good place for you, or do I just really suck?

You're a brand new player and won 1/3. Sounds like it's working.

Violet_0

Banned

Thoughts?

he's in every control warrior deck as a way to close the game

johnsmith

remember me
Right now it's not really possible. For it to be somewhat viable, they would need to release dedicated cards/effects that burn cards off of the other player's deck. If those existed then they could be used alongside coldlight oracles and druid's naturalize.

However, I'm not sure if it's a design space they'll pursue. Blizzard is constantly talking about how "fun" different mechanics are, and likes to tone down effects that are un-fun. I think watching your cards get burned up is distressing for most casual players. I know when I used to play MTG casually, my friends would HATE to get "milled" (lose cards from the top of their deck), even though it has little to no impact on the game until they are completely empty (which makes you lose the game in MTG, and thus the point of "milling" your opponent). Something about watching your potentially good cards go into the discard sucks, even though what you're going to draw on any given turn is random anyways.

That's such a stupid argument against milling though. I don't think AOE is fun. Why don't they remove that? Losing isn't fun, every game should end in a draw. Hexes and polymorphs aren't fun. Freeze isn't fun. Free backstabs and hunters marks aren't fun. No action is fun when it's performed against you, so I don't see how milling is any different.

Minsc

Gold Member
That's such a stupid argument against milling though. I don't think AOE is fun. Why don't they remove that? Losing isn't fun, every game should end in a draw. Hexes and polymorphs aren't fun. Freeze isn't fun. Free backstabs and hunters marks aren't fun. No action is fun when it's performed against you, so I don't see how milling is any different.

The argument against milling is you can't have more than 30 cards in your deck, card draw is generally the same as MtG (as in quite abundant, miracle rogue can draw out their deck around turn 8, enough cantrips exist in the game to trim your deck to around 10-15 cards if you want).

So starting the game at around 25 cards in your reserves, is a lot different than MtG where you can start the game with a 200 card library.

There is essentially 0-counterplay in Hearthstone to milling, while MtG, iirc, has quite a few ways to shuffle graveyards back in to one's library, etc. That's another thing, milling is quite handicapped without a graveyard, half the point of milling (getting strong minions in a graveyard to put on a field) is completely missing.

FStop7

Banned
I spent about 20 minutes watching Kolento play M. Rogue this morning. I wish I could think like he does. He put out an Earthen Ring Farseer on turn 3, even though he was at full health. It made no sense to me. But then he later shadowstepped it twice - once to heal himself and again to heal one of his auctioneers, which he'd used to take out another minion.

I'm always so focused on saving my shadowsteps for leeroy or not using the farseers until later in the game. I need to realign my thinking.

Wow.

I just had a Mage play Arcane Missiles while I had two Frothing Berserkers on my side.

The stupid plays just keep coming right at me.

Me blade be THIRSTAAAY

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I spent about 20 minutes watching Kolento play M. Rogue this morning. I wish I could think like he does. He put out an Earthen Ring Farseer on turn 3, even though he was at full health. It made no sense to me. But then he later shadowstepped it twice - once to heal himself and again to heal one of his auctioneers, which he'd used to take out another minion.

I'm always so focused on saving my shadowsteps for leeroy or not using the farseers until later in the game. I need to realign my thinking.

Me blade be THIRSTAAAY

Not holding cards for the perfect opportunity or DAT COMBO is definitely an important part of any card game. Watch any good zoo player, they'll throw out a cleric or abusive without anything to buff because they have to and are reading the situation as board presence > buffing or trading up. But then, sometimes you need to hold for the trade up because you know what card your opponent is going to play.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
The deck style you play would dictate which to use. A heavy control deck would favor grommash. You fraw your final two hand while armoring up throughout the first 8 turn. The you play alex. Then grommash.

A mid or aggro deck would prefer Leeroy as you aren't using the majority of the game ignoring the enemy hero's hp.
This is what I run right now;
It actually started out as a standard Kitkatz Warrior (Only without Strasza and Geddon, since I didn't have them). I prefer not to rely on very late-game multi-turn combo's for wins, so I chucked out Alex when I finally got her (She was not of much use to me since the situations in which I got under 15 health would not have been turned around by Alex, and the impact it had on enemy health just wasn't that great due to me damaging him/her throughout the game.) and after some more tweaking (2x Blood Knight for the Argent Squire / Divine Shield menace, remove Brawl due to it backfiring too much and removed Cleave for its limited use), I chucked out Gromm for Leeroy.
he's in every control warrior deck as a way to close the game
Yeah, I know that. My deck started out like that too. I guess I just moved away too much from Heavy Control for him to be truly great.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Ysera seems a bit slow for how you've tuned your deck. I'd swap for an agent commander or another kir'kron maybe.
Hmmm, don't know about that. I pretty much ride this deck to turn 9 anyways in most match-ups, and then Ysera can be a massive boost for me simply for playing it. She'll give me at least one great card, then force the opponent to play several cards, removal (if they have left after the buffed Berserkers/Rag/Cairne/Sylvanas) or trade a lot of minions. If she lives, I get more great cards! She's won me several games now, so I'm reluctant to throw her out.

I'm an expert

2 blood knights and no brawl.. I couldn't... I just couldn't..

But, yes, leave Ysera. Ysera should be in every control deck.

Ikkarus

I would try and get Baron Geddon for your Warrior Control, it's great against Zoo and Shaman.

As for Grommash Hellscream, he's a massive threat when you chuck him down, plus you have Cruel Task Master, Slam, Shield Break and Whirlwind to trigger off his effect, or simply play him and ram him against an enemy minion and then your opponent HAS to deal with him next round, if they don't or can't then more advantage to you.

Jrmint

1 thing to be careful of with Rag. Since he's your only 7+ attack minion he's a prime suspect to be Faceless and BGH'd. Can hurt you more than it helps. I've stopped running Rag in my control decks as a result.

Dreavus

I don't think it's a particularly good argument either, I'm just going off of what I perceive to be blizzards MO for Hearthstone. I think it's one of the reasons there are a bunch of "RNG" effects, because they're unexpected and add tension to a play. They've talked about designing for fun factor before and I think this might be a reason for them not to pursue milling further, that's all.

EDIT: I just realized "pursuing milling further" isn't really accurate because it has actually has 0 support right now. :p Making your opponent draw cards is similar, but also a lot more dangerous.

The argument against milling is you can't have more than 30 cards in your deck, card draw is generally the same as MtG (as in quite abundant, miracle rogue can draw out their deck around turn 8, enough cantrips exist in the game to trim your deck to around 10-15 cards if you want).

So starting the game at around 25 cards in your reserves, is a lot different than MtG where you can start the game with a 200 card library.

There is essentially 0-counterplay in Hearthstone to milling, while MtG, iirc, has quite a few ways to shuffle graveyards back in to one's library, etc. That's another thing, milling is quite handicapped without a graveyard, half the point of milling (getting strong minions in a graveyard to put on a field) is completely missing.

This is also a very good point, although there would have to be some very powerful mill support for this to be a problem. Two or Three mill cards probably wouldn't push the archetype into the "uncounterable deck-type" position, but if the next PvE release is based around this mechanic (or something), then we could be in trouble.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
2 blood knights and no brawl.. I couldn't... I just couldn't..

But, yes, leave Ysera. Ysera should be in every control deck.
Chuck one of the Knights for a Brawl?

I would try and get Baron Geddon for your Warrior Control, it's great against Zoo and Shaman.

As for Grommash Hellscream, he's a massive threat when you chuck him down, plus you have Cruel Task Master, Slam, Shield Break and Whirlwind to trigger off his effect, or simply play him and ram him against an enemy minion and then your opponent HAS to deal with him next round, if they don't or can't then more advantage to you.
Or they have minions with more than 4 health and they can just kill Gromm with minions next turn. Or they Faceless Manipulator your buffed Gromm and you lose the game. Or they play a Taunt minion. Or you have too much Armor to use Shield Slam. Or you wish you would've saved that Taskmaster or Whirlwind just one more turn to combo with Execute to counter the Rag they sent out. Or they kept Big Game Hunter in hand specifically for Gromm. Or Shadow Word: Death. Or they heal your Gromm. Or use any Silence card to neuter it. Etc. Grommash is only truly amazing as finisher paired with another card. I don't like holding two cards in my hand for the sole purpose of finisher (especially when one of those cards is great by itself in other situations), and find that with how I play, I never need something as huge as enraged Gromm to finish it off.

I just think Ragnaros (Resilient to Silence, don't give fucks about Taunt) and Ysera (12 health and Ysera Awakens / Nightmare / Emerald Drake / Laughing Sister, avoids BGH and both Shadow Word cards) are bigger threats that don't need another card to support them the way I play the deck.

Geddon is worth a look, but I don't have him yet and can't craft him ATM.

I'm an expert

In my opinion, yes. I definitely support one knight, I'm pretty much throwing it in everything I play now like it was an ooze. Too many turn 1 squires. But brawl.. there's gotta be an oh shit reset button in there. I know it's rng, but I almost always end up with a favorable board position after. Sometimes not, though.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
In my opinion, yes. I definitely support one knight, I'm pretty much throwing it in everything I play now like it was an ooze. Too many turn 1 squires. But brawl.. there's gotta be an oh shit reset button in there. I know it's rng, but I almost always end up with a favorable board position after. Sometimes not, though.
It mostly screws me over (They have just Sunwalker/Rag/Something I need to get rid of, I have multiple minions; opponent wins, lol GG. 'Sorry' 'Mistakes were made' 'Thank You'), but I guess its worth to try again. Two Blood Knights can be fun though. Most people just throw down a Sunwalker after you play the first knight, just to troll. Then you play the second one and taste their salt. But I agree that running two might be overkill.

I'm an expert

I mean, it's rng. So many times they have 6 creatures, I throw out an armorsmith, my armorsmith lives. But I can hopefully play something to even the board.

But, yeah, it's a 3/3 for 3.. not bad but kind of dead by late game in a control deck if no one is dropping shields.

troushers

I meant to say thanks for the replies. I tried Hearthpwn's deck builder with my ideas, and I think it might be doable, though not optimal. When I have enough dust, I might try it out, but it needs more than I have at present so... The big issue is definitely survivability until the late stages when it might shine.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Just ran into the weirdest deck I've seen in a while. Rogue > Turn 1 Patient Assassin. Uses it on Armorsmith (lolwat?). Turn 3 Alarmabot (killed). Turn 4 Master of Disguise on nothing. Turn 6 Illidan Stormrage (Faceless Manipulator + Execute). Turn 8 Leeroy + Master of Diguise (Leeroy sniped by Rag). Weird deck. I guess he planned to Alarmabot Illidan, then conceal it with Master of Disguise and play all the cheap spells. Didn't work.

Ikkarus

Or they have minions with more than 4 health and they can just kill Gromm with minions next turn. Or they Faceless Manipulator your buffed Gromm and you lose the game. Or they play a Taunt minion. Or you have too much Armor to use Shield Slam. Or you wish you would've saved that Taskmaster or Whirlwind just one more turn to combo with Execute to counter the Rag they sent out. Or they kept Big Game Hunter in hand specifically for Gromm. Or Shadow Word: Death. Or they heal your Gromm. Or use any Silence card to neuter it. Etc. Grommash is only truly amazing as finisher paired with another card. I don't like holding two cards in my hand for the sole purpose of finisher (especially when one of those cards is great by itself in other situations), and find that with how I play, I never need something as huge as enraged Gromm to finish it off.

I just think Ragnaros (Resilient to Silence, don't give fucks about Taunt) and Ysera (12 health and Ysera Awakens / Nightmare / Emerald Drake / Laughing Sister, avoids BGH and both Shadow Word cards) are bigger threats that don't need another card to support them the way I play the deck.

Geddon is worth a look, but I don't have him yet and can't craft him ATM.

True Grommash should be used as a finisher more than anything but the list of risks you listed for Grom the same can be said for Rag, bar needing a card to combo it from and silence. If you wanted to go full burst crazy why not try both Leeroy and Grommash? I agree Leeroy is arguably the best Legendary in the game and if you Faceless him you're looking at a 12 burst damage from it and then you have another 10-12 burst damage from Grommash to follow up with if needs be.

I think the Alextrasa and then following up with Grommash the next round is around 25-28 damage which for me is something to build towards, granted it might be predictable to many playing against it but the other cards are just stepping stones to get to it and for opponent to waste their Hexes, Polymorphs etc on them.

As for Ysera, she's one heck of a card, no question, it's just I build more towards Alextrasa than Ysera and having both makes the deck too mana heavy and slow for my liking, and pulling a Laughing Sister irks me! Still, each to their own with deck building and play styles, it's why it's good to debate these things. :)

El-Suave

Just made it to rank 12 with a 22/10 Scavenging Hyena finish killing the 22 health my druid opponent had left in round six. I was able to unleash my hounds on two full boards thanks to his Violet Teachers and their summoned students and got past his Druid of the Claw taunt bear with Kill Command.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Just had my most enjoyable game yet - was playing a Priest control deck against a Druid. I don't have enough experience to speak about it as knowledgeably as folks in this thread, but it was a rank 20 game and despite everything he/she threw at me, I made it to my opponent running out of cards while I had 2 health left. He had no minions left and I stuck on Gruul and about 3 other minions. I had 3 left. They conceded. I am happy! 4 win streak!

JesseZao

Hmmm, don't know about that. I pretty much ride this deck to turn 9 anyways in most match-ups, and then Ysera can be a massive boost for me simply for playing it. She'll give me at least one great card, then force the opponent to play several cards, removal (if they have left after the buffed Berserkers/Rag/Cairne/Sylvanas) or trade a lot of minions. If she lives, I get more great cards! She's won me several games now, so I'm reluctant to throw her out.

I guess if you have no issue with board control without brawl it's a good final minion before lethal, but you have lot of mid-range cards that I figure would be better complimented by a faster card. Something like a midrange warrior zoo control. Anyway, if it's working out, no reason to swap, was just thinking out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom