• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because Taskmaster is just too useful to keep in your hand for a play that consumes an entire turn and can be easily thwarted by a lot of things. Use Taskmaster on Acolyte/Armorsmith to get more use out of them and to enable them to trade with better minions, use it on enemies to combo with Execute or BGH (in extreme situations), use it to just kill something at 1 health, etc. I don't want to hold it in my hand for the sole purpose of enraging Gromm. Besides, Leeroy + Faceless is the same 12 burst damage for 1 less Mana. You will be holding Faceless in your hand anyway, waiting for a big threat to be played and stay on the board, if no such thing is played, use it on Leeroy to burst your opponent down. Since the 12 damage is spread on two creatures, BGH won't do the trick for them and it's easier for me to get around taunts. Leeroy is also much more useful to me outside of this burst damage than Gromm. Use him as a neutral Fireball to clear big threats or just for 6 damage to the face, play him with Whirlwind to clear the Whelps and buff your Berserker, etc.

Leeroy best case scenario; Leeroy + Inner Rage + Faceless = 3 cards, 9 Mana, 8 damage + 8 damage
Grommash best case scenario; Gromm + Taskmaster + Inner Rage + Inner Rage = 4 cards, 10 Mana, 16 damage

I don't run Inner Rage, so that becomes;
Leeroy + Faceless = 2 cards, 9 Mana, 6 damage + 6 damage
Gromm + Taskmaster = 2 cards, 10 Mana, 12 damage

Worst case scenario:
Leeroy = 1 card, 4 Mana, 6 damage.
Gromm = 1 card, 9 Mana, 4 damage.

I just don't see a huge upside to Gromm, since he is actually more vulnerable in some ways. You can silence Gromm, you can't silence Leeroy + Faceless. Gromm is putting all eggs in one basket, Leeroy is spreading it out over two minions with the opponent only being able to kill one with the Whelps. Gromm is killed by Execute and Big Game Hunter, Leeroy isn't. Gromm is stopped by a single Taunt minion, Leeroy + Faceless can kill a Taunt and then deal 6 to the face.

And then there's the combos. Let's say you have a Berserker on the field and your opponent plays a Taunt minion. Leeroy + Whirlwind + Execute = kill their taunt, buff your Berserker with +5 attack, clear the Whelps, 13 burst damage to the opponent.

Gromm is pretty much restricted to being a finisher. Leeroy is just so much more versatile.

Same as with Taskmaster, I think Whirlwind is just too useful/versatile to keep specifically to buff Gromm. It can net you some extra use out of you Acolyte/Armorsmith, serves as a setup for Execute, can get you insane armor with Armorsmith and multiple minions on the field, can buff your Berserker to insane status and can just be used to clear damaged or pesky 1-health minions without needing to drive your own minions into them (Buzzard/Blood Imp/Young Priestess/Murlocs/Loot Hoarder/Leper Gnome/etc.). Sometimes, double Whirlwind can even be worth it.

I just don't want to hold it in my hand for just using it to enrage Gromm.

I think it is also important to note that warrior has many ways to enrage grom, plus if you use the buff on a minion and hit face, you're getting the 2 damage anyway. It is kinda like saving cold blood for leeroy... there is no point (almost). You get the 4 damage either way and if you use it earlier there is a chance you get to hit with it twice. Same with tinkmaster. The only reason you'd want to save tinkmaster is if it is your last tool to activate grommash and/or you are concerned about something like alexstrasza or lord jaraxxus.

Vio-Lence

Banned
So I'm playing Handlock and I seem to be stuck at about Rank 8 or so. Anyone got any tips/criticisms as far as my deck?

i0UlKJlxs8AHL.png

I have no other legendaries (not that I'm complaining). And as far as Warlock epics I have Twisting Nether, and with neutral epics I have Big Game Hunter and another Faceless.

Pretty standard list but missing your win condition of leeroy plus power overwhelming and faceless manipulator. Handlocks aren't running both Alex and jarraxus anymore.

Wow, antonidus is way better as a finisher in a mage deck than pyroblast, though I guess most people run both. If you run a deck with a bunch of 1-cost spells you can start hoarding them once you draw him, and usually they become dead cards anyways because they aren't that good past turn 4. If you have a coin, you can have him draw you two fireballs on turn 7, which is amazingly good. He'll almost certainly be removed next turn and you'll most likely have no other minions worth a hard removal in your deck, but it's still atleast 12 damage from 2 fireballs plus whatever other damage spells you have.

Also, ice lance is better than I expected, especially with water elemental synergy and with antonidus.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I think it is also important to note that warrior has many ways to enrage grom, plus if you use the buff on a minion and hit face, you're getting the 2 damage anyway. It is kinda like saving cold blood for leeroy... there is no point (almost). You get the 4 damage either way and if you use it earlier there is a chance you get to hit with it twice. Same with tinkmaster. The only reason you'd want to save tinkmaster is if it is your last tool to activate grommash and/or you are concerned about something like alexstrasza or lord jaraxxus.
Fair point. I just think that Grommash is far less essential than most people make him out to be.

Anyway, just faced this trash-talking Mage that was constantly taunting me. He rushed me down despite me doing my best to clear his board every turn. eventually, I cleared his board for a billionth time and got Cairne, Rag and Sylvanas on, my opponent still being at full health. He plays Fireball, Fireblast and then Kobold Geomancer, which got me to 1 health. He would have had lethal had he played them right, but I assume it was intentional just to troll me and kill me with his hero power as he kept spamming emotes. Bad move. I draw Shield Block. Shield Block draws me Shield Block. I kill his Kobold with Cairne. Next turn I smash his face in with Gorehowl. Felt good.

Sandwich

Neo Member
Bah, the "up" of having an attack-ready 10/10 on the field on turn 3 (double-hp buffed lightwell with inner fire), then the "down" when it gets deadly-shotted the next turn after only getting to attack the opponent once.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
but inner fire isn't text or enchantment.
It just changes the minion's attack.
Effects from spells are enchantments. The only thing Silence doesn't remove are active buffs given to the target by another minion on the field, like Stormwind Champion or Raid Leader.

Zeliard

Pretty standard list but missing your win condition of leeroy plus power overwhelming and faceless manipulator. Handlocks aren't running both Alex and jarraxus anymore.

I'll look to add Power Overwhelming in. Had it in for a bit but didn't play around with it too much in this particular deck.

Leeroy is the hole. Will try to dust for him eventually.

Play zoo 3 times...face ramp druid 3 times.
Play contrrol shaman twice...vs hunter twice.
Play otk warlock twice...miracle rogue twice

IM JUST TRYING TO DO THE SHAMAN/WARLOCK QUEST THROW ME A BONE

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I want more race decks. I want a dragon deck. An orc deck. A gnome deck.

CradleOfMan

Neo Member
Hello All

Long time lurker. Learnt a lot in this thread early on, thanks. Just got my account approved, so expect regular wonderful insights :) into this beast that has consumed all my gaming time recently. Real fan of Blizzard's presentation: "join or die! ... or both".

The "OP legends ruin this game" posts have definitely reduced recently. Always a laugh when 3 posts later someone complains the cheap Huntard/Zoo is rolling their full control Warrior.

If you want to place a value on my opinion, I play the ladder at around rank 5-8 on EU. Those win streaks that stop at rank 5 are when I feel the grind starts. Also a fair refection of my skills. Arena is where it's at. Longer games with more back and forth, plus picking/building skills ftw.

New cards coming - yes please!

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Hello All

Long time lurker. Learnt a lot in this thread early on, thanks. Just got my account approved, so expect regular wonderful insights :) into this beast that has consumed all my gaming time recently. Real fan of Blizzard's presentation: "join or die! ... or both".

The "OP legends ruin this game" posts have definitely reduced recently. Always a laugh when 3 posts later someone complains the cheap Huntard/Zoo is rolling their full control Warrior.

If you want to place a value on my opinion, I play the ladder at around rank 5-8 on EU. Those win streaks that stop at rank 5 are when I feel the grind starts. Also a fair refection of my skills. Arena is where it's at. Longer games with more back and forth, plus picking/building skills ftw.

New cards coming - yes please!
Welcome. ;-)

But to be honest, I don't think saying 'Arena is where it's at' is a 'fair reflection of skill', as Arena is highly dependent on getting good cards to pick/RNG/your opponent not having had better cards to pick from. I don't really think either mode is more 'skillful' than the other.

Welcome. ;-)

But to be honest, I don't think saying 'Arena is where it's at' is a 'fair reflection of skill', as Arena is highly dependent on getting good cards to pick/RNG/your opponent not having had better cards to pick from. I don't really think either mode is more 'skillful' than the other.

I think Cradle meant that his grinding around Rank 5-8 is a reflection of his skills, not that Arena is a fair reflection of his skills.

Volimar

So I'm playing Handlock and I seem to be stuck at about Rank 8 or so. Anyone got any tips/criticisms as far as my deck?

i0UlKJlxs8AHL.png

I have no other legendaries (not that I'm complaining). And as far as Warlock epics I have Twisting Nether, and with neutral epics I have Big Game Hunter and another Faceless.

I'm not pro so take my advice or leave it. I've found that 2 sunfury protector and 2 defender of argus are a bit much. I know you want to ensure you get your synergy with the watchers, but more often than not you'll end up with a useless sunfury protector. You might also consider removing one of your mortal coils unless you really think you need them.

Also, before I had Leeroy, I substituted Reckless Rocketeer and found some success, though you'd probably be better off with Argent Commander if you have it (I don't).

Just some meandering thoughts. YMMV

Just had a problem where I played unleashed the hounds twice on the same turn. The second time I played it the card disappeared, but the animation didn't play and it didn't give me any doggies. The side bar said I had played it though.

It turned me into a sad doggy.

Minsc

Gold Member
Just had a problem where I played unleashed the hounds twice on the same turn. The second time I played it the card disappeared, but the animation didn't play and it didn't give me any doggies. The side bar said I had played it though.

It turned me into a sad doggy.

You didn't have a full board when you played it a second time right?

Zeliard

I'm not pro so take my advice or leave it. I've found that 2 sunfury protector and 2 defender of argus are a bit much. I know you want to ensure you get your synergy with the watchers, but more often than not you'll end up with a useless sunfury protector. You might also consider removing one of your mortal coils unless you really think you need them.

Also, before I had Leeroy, I substituted Reckless Rocketeer and found some success, though you'd probably be better off with Argent Commander if you have it (I don't).

Just some meandering thoughts. YMMV

I've been thinking of ditching one of the mortal coils. Think I'll go ahead and do that.

I'll mess around with losing a Sunfury and see what happens. Having two has generally been quite effective for me, though, but we'll see.

I'll also add Arcane Golem as a relatively cheap late-game charge.

Damn how does the matchmaking work? Is it based on your overall profile or by deck?

I ask because I am playing Druid for the first time(daily quest) with a weak ass deck and am constantly running into players with multiple legendaries and just all around great decks.

Been playing all week and haven't seen any decks this strong. Just getting bodied by people throwing out Leeroys and Hoggers left and right. Already four matches in and every match has been like that.

:( Screw this damn druid daily. Guess I should re-roll.

You didn't have a full board when you played it a second time right?

Haha no I'm not that much of a noob :p

I used the first 3 doggies to kill some of his board so they all died. Then I played the second unleashed whilst he still had 2 minions on the board but none appeared.

Avinexus

I've been thinking of ditching one of the mortal coils. Think I'll go ahead and do that.

I'll mess around with losing a Sunfury and see what happens. Having two has generally been quite effective for me, though, but we'll see.

I'll also add Arcane Golem as a relatively cheap late-game charge.

I disagree completely with dropping a Sunfury. You need the taunts and Sunfury is far more useful than the Defender since it is cheaper. Hell, if they had more cards like Sunfury and Defender they would go into the deck.

Some things I will say about the list:

- I personally use two owls; they let you go turn 2 watcher, turn 3 owl if you are up against aggro, silence taunts so you can finish, silence all kinds of shit (Gadgetzan if they don't conceal, Ancient of War, Flame tongue/Mana tide totems, etc.). Too useful to only have one of, imo.

- Leeroy is definitely the core piece you are missing. He is vital to the deck. You can play without it, Giants will be enough a lot of the time, but he adds another dimension to the deck. Arcane Golem is definitely the best as a replacement until you get him.

- One mortal coil is enough. I replace it with either a BGH or Ooze, depending on what I am playing against that day. Usually a BGH right now.

- Try double Faceless, gives yourself another Giant/Drake while still retaining the ability to do the Leeroy/Power overwhelming/Faceless finisher.

- I find Alex is the better legendary to have than Jarraxxus. It has far more uses than Jarraxxus. Put them at 15 setting up various forms of lethal in one go, put you at 15 while putting an 8/8 on the board, you don't lose the ability to play Molten's when played, etc. Jarraxxus is more fun though :p

- I don't see the point of the Harvest Golem's.

Zeliard

I disagree completely with dropping a Sunfury. You need the taunts and Sunfury is far more useful than the Defender since it is cheaper. Hell, if they had more cards like Sunfury and Defender they would go into the deck.

Some things I will say about the list:

- I personally use two owls; they let you go turn 2 watcher, turn 3 owl if you are up against aggro, silence taunts so you can finish, etc. Too useful to only have one of, imo.

- Leeroy is definitely the core piece you are missing. He is vital to the deck. You definitely play without it, Giants will be enough a lot of the time, but he adds another dimension to the deck.

- One mortal coil is enough. I replace it with either a BGH or Ooze, depending on what I am playing against that day.

- Try double Faceless, gives yourself another Giant/Drake while still retaining the ability to do the Leeroy/Power overwhelming/Faceless finisher.

- I find Alex is the better legendary to have than Jarraxxus. It has far more uses than Jarraxxus. Put them at 15 setting up various forms of lethal in one go, put you at 15 while putting an 8/8 on the board, you don't lose the ability to play Molten's when played, etc. Jarraxxus is more fun though :p

- I don't see the point of the Harvest Golem's.

Yeah I removed the Harvest Golems completely a short while ago. Dropped Taz'dingo as well to make room for other things.

I don't have Alex sadly, nor Leeroy, or I'd use them instead. I'm taking Soka's advice and using Arcane Golem as a Leeroy sub. Also added a Power Overwhelming to buff the AG, another owl, and I'll add another Faceless as well.

As far as dropping the Sunfury, I felt like that was indeed pretty risky. I'm willing to experiment with different things but I do agree that 2x Sunfury should probably be a staple.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

frequency

Damn how does the matchmaking work? Is it based on your overall profile or by deck?

I ask because I am playing Druid for the first time(daily quest) with a weak ass deck and am constantly running into players with multiple legendaries and just all around great decks.

Been playing all week and haven't seen any decks this strong. Just getting bodied by people throwing out Leeroys and Hoggers left and right. Already four matches in and every match has been like that.

:( Screw this damn druid daily. Guess I should re-roll.

It's by your account. I run into that problem a lot trying to do dailies with classes I don't have cards for too.

I wish matchmaking also took into account deck cost (dust). It wouldn't be perfect but I feel it would be better than it is now. Zoo would be crazy though and Control Warriors will be sad forever.
Maybe it should be based on win rate by class or something.

It's by your account. I run into that problem a lot trying to do dailies with classes I don't have cards for too.

I wish matchmaking also took into account deck cost (dust). It wouldn't be perfect but I feel it would be better than it is now. Zoo would be crazy though and Control Warriors will be sad forever.
Maybe it should be based on win rate by class or something.

Yeah I figured that was the case. Just a really bad run of luck I guess. I haven't gotten a single legendary myself yet so it kinda pisses me off when the opponent is throwing out multiples >.> F2P woes heh...

Avinexus

Do we have a time frame yet on Naxx aside from just "summer" (which is June 21 to September 22)?

They have been releasing one class card per week on twitter. People seem to be expecting something after they finish releasing those. I think they've released four so far, so in five more weeks there might be something released/announced.

They have been releasing one class card per week on twitter. People seem to be expecting something after they finish releasing those. I think they've released four so far, so in five more weeks there might be something released/announced.

Interesting analysis. Thanks!

I consider disenchanting the following cards:
Big Game Hunter
Sword of justice
Snake Trap
Kidnapper
Preperation

Which ones should I keep and which ones I can wholeheartedly disenchant?
(I have only one of each)

Big Game Hunter
Sword of justice
Snake Trap
Kidnapper
Preperation

Big Game Hunter is honestly very useful depending on the meta at the time... I'd keep one minimum, maybe two at all times. Sword of Justice is great in Pally aggro decks, but if you don't ever play that then you could let it go. Snake Trap is probably disenchantable. Kidnapper is absolutely disenchantable. Preparation is great and necessary in Miracle Rogue decks, so if you plan to ever play that style of deck, I'd keep it. I think Prep can find use even in non-Miracle Rogues to be honest.

Preparation is great and necessary in Miracle Rogue decks, so if you plan to ever play that style of deck, I'd keep it. I think Prep can find use even in non-Miracle Rogues to be honest.
Really? From my experience, cards are a much more valuable resource than mana. Wasting a card just to save some mana doesn't sound like a very good deal to me. I tried it in my deck a few times and it always sits in my hand with no use.

I'm bringing it back baby!

Gbv5tAA.png

Playing around with it tonight in casual and doing surprisingly well. As in I haven't had any losses yet. Since no one runs shadow priest (and hasn't in months, I've yet to see it) I think it really throws people off. Every time I've used it tonight I've seen my opponent hover over my hero ability in what I can only guess is confusion.

Currently it's super strong against the aggro meta... though I fear for the first handlock I run into. I want to get the shadow word deaths in but I'm not sure how I want to do it yet. My first instinct is to get rid of Voodoo doctor... but it's been surprisingly powerful when comboed with Auchenai Soulpriest on turn 5. It's also a great backup heal once you go shadow form to keep lightspawns up.

Holy Fire and Mind Control would likely be good options to switch out... but I feel like Mind Control might actually be a very good choice against handlock so I don't want to get rid of it. Probably Ysera and Holy Fire. Ysera is great but may be a tad too slow. Might remove a shadow madness for Hogger since Hogger + PW:S is always fun.

Okay... so I've played around a bit more with this deck, as is (no modifications yet) and I'm amazed by how well it's playing. Again, haven't had a dreaded handlock encounter yet... but another 12 or so matches in casual and I'm starting to get convinced I may want to take this to ladder. Auchenai + voodoo/earthen ring are incredibly good mid-game combos... and failing that, they do wonders to prop up your healing once you've gone shadow form.

I've used the mind spike into shadow form #2 into hero power again a couple times for good measure and it's another "confusing" move I've seen players just blank out and check their cards a couple times before making a move, it's truly beautiful.

I'm not actually sure at this point if there is anything I even want to change. SW:D again come to mind, but there just isn't anything I'd be willing to sacrifice currently.

Really? From my experience, cards are a much more valuable resource than mana. Wasting a card just to save some mana doesn't sound like a very good deal to me. I tried it in my deck a few times and it always sits in my hand with no use.

In a regular deck this is probably true. In a miracle deck it's not a trade a card for mana, it's a "cycle this card, make your next spell free" since you'll (almost) always use it with gadgetzan. The only exception would be if you're going for lethal and you need to get out an additional spell (usually evis).

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Big Game Hunter
Sword of justice
Snake Trap
Kidnapper
Preperation

if you know a class doesn't gel with you just de every card, but if you know you're wishy washy and will eventually play it, just keep it

either way, out of those, snake trap is a maybe, kidnapper is a definitely. The rest, do not disenchant.

Anustart

I don't get why people with 8 legendaries, 13 epics, secrets that mop the floor and whatever other shit are doing at rank 19..... Seriously?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't get why people with 8 legendaries, 13 epics, secrets that mop the floor and whatever other shit are doing at rank 19..... Seriously?

Bad players.

Or people who don't really grind ladder.

PsionBolt

I was paired against a Handlock who was using the legendary card back earlier today. I've never made it higher than rank 15, and I'm currently 19. I guess they have to put them against someone until they rise in rank, but it sure does suck for players like us.

Bizazedo

They might not play Ranked / play Play Mode a lot. Could be Arena junkies or just people with not a lot of gametime under their belts.

I didn't even start ranked til like the 19th last month and I'd fit that category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom