• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anustart

Getting better and better. Realizing the value of taking damage and not playing cards until more opportune times.

Such as my last game, was holding onto a polymorph among other things til late. Guy played Yesera and I decided it would look better as a 1/1 sheep, which I might add looks sweet in golden form.

Edit: Tweaked my deck a bit after opponents started swarming me with low cost cards. I assume this is zoo? I have enough cards most of the time to stall out the turns until I can clear the board.

Its not much, but I've been playing for 3 days, up to rank 19.

Sandwich

Neo Member
I'm a bit confused. People keep saying they can re-draw daily challenges over and over during the first hour after the challenges are given each day. I can't do this.

For example, I log on and I have no challenges at all. Then I play for 20 minutes and then I get a popup saying I got a daily challenge. This happens at about 2 o'clock at night here in Norway. But when I click the red "X" on the challenge to re-draw it, that X changes to a gray icon and I can no longer change it. So I never get the chance to do it more than once.

Am I missing something?

Twrs

Neo Member
I'm a bit confused. People keep saying they can re-draw daily challenges over and over during the first hour after the challenges are given each day. I can't do this.

For example, I log on and I have no challenges at all. Then I play for 20 minutes and then I get a popup saying I got a daily challenge. This happens at about 2 o'clock at night here in Norway. But when I click the red "X" on the challenge to re-draw it, that X changes to a gray icon and I can no longer change it. So I never get the chance to do it more than once.

Am I missing something?

You can do it before you get the quest for the day. So if you get your quest at 2, try leaving a quest, then getting on between 1 and 2 and see if you can change it.

Masaki_

Got enough dust to craft a legendary. Right now I play shaman, handlock and miracle (both Malygos and regular) rogue. Strongly considering getting Thalnos since it would go in every one of those decks, but he seems like a "boring" use of this much dust. At the same time, I don't wanna craft big legendaries like Rag or even slightly smaller ones like Cairne cause I don't think they would immediately fit in my current decks and they seem to be ineffective in decks that don't already countain a good amount of legendaries.

tl;dr craft thalnos?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Got enough dust to craft a legendary. Right now I play shaman, handlock and miracle (both Malygos and regular) rogue. Strongly considering getting Thalnos since it would go in every one of those decks, but he seems like a "boring" use of this much dust. At the same time, I don't wanna craft big legendaries like Rag or even slightly smaller ones like Cairne cause I don't think they would immediately fit in my current decks and they seem to be ineffective in decks that don't already countain a good amount of legendaries.

tl;dr craft thalnos?

It doesn't feel like it affects the game much, but I'm sure you have enough experience with those decks to know how much a 3 damage backstab or a 5 damage soul fire or drawing just one more card for lethal can swing the game. I hear ya, it's not flashy, but the point is to win, right?

Vio-Lence

Banned
So what're some of the opinions on Grommash here? I ran him in my Warrior for a while, but I've now thrown him out for Jenkins. I just don't like sitting on Whirlwind (which is so useful in a lot of situations) just so I can later enrage Gromm with it, or having to wait for any other specific card in my deck that I put in specifically to enrage Gromm before being able to play him. And without the instant enrage, Gromm just isn't worth that much to me since he'll just be a 4 ATK battering ram that will be killed the next turn by SW:D, BGH, Execute, any minion that can take it out or just general removal like Hex or Polymorph. Leeroy does 2 more damage, costs half the Mana, and when you have a Berserker on your board, you will benefit massively from Leeroy + Whirlwind, giving Leeroy a secondary use. Sure, if you're winning the game, Grommash will make you win it more, but Leeroy is just so much more useful in more situations IMO.

Thoughts?

why not activate Gromm with cruel taskmasters for 12 damage bursts? he's a great finisher for warrior control. and he can be used as board clear, and stick to the board for next turn.

Masaki_

It doesn't feel like it affects the game much, but I'm sure you have enough experience with those decks to know how much a 3 damage backstab or a 5 damage soul fire or drawing just one more card for lethal can swing the game. I hear ya, it's not flashy, but the point is to win, right?

Yep, yet I think Cairne or Rag would be more "fun" and I also run a tempo rogue.

Zeliard

So I'm playing Handlock and I seem to be stuck at about Rank 8 or so. Anyone got any tips/criticisms as far as my deck?

i0UlKJlxs8AHL.png

I have no other legendaries (not that I'm complaining). And as far as Warlock epics I have Twisting Nether, and with neutral epics I have Big Game Hunter and another Faceless.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Do people usually put Harvest Golems or Tazdingos into handlock decks? I don't think I've ever seen them against the ones I'm usually playing against.

Masaki_

Do people usually put Harvest Golems or Tazdingos into handlock decks? I don't think I've ever seen them against the ones I'm usually playing against.

Tazdingo is really good against aggro. Zeliard, your deck probably needs Leeroy, but that's my scrubby opinion.

Zeliard

Tazdingo and the Harvest Golems was a relatively recent tweak I made to try to offset the rush decks, and get something out a bit earlier.

I'm totally open to criticisms that it's a dumb idea, though.

Tazdingo is really good against aggro. Zeliard, your deck probably needs Leeroy, but that's my scrubby opinion.

I do want Leeroy but don't quite have the dust for it right now. :(

Masaki_

I do want Leeroy but don't quite have the dust for it right now. :(

I think that deck can make legend, but you really have to identify what you're losing to in order to make adjustments. Assuming your big objective is to get to Jaraxxus, maybe the issue is you're just not surviving long enough to get to the point where you can use him and win. Also, most finishing combos can kill you from 15 health, so it's doesn't matter if you play Jaraxxus without taunts up.

In short, it's hard to know what can be changed without knowing what decks you're facing.

blackflag

So what're some of the opinions on Grommash here? I ran him in my Warrior for a while, but I've now thrown him out for Jenkins. I just don't like sitting on Whirlwind (which is so useful in a lot of situations) just so I can later enrage Gromm with it, or having to wait for any other specific card in my deck that I put in specifically to enrage Gromm before being able to play him. And without the instant enrage, Gromm just isn't worth that much to me since he'll just be a 4 ATK battering ram that will be killed the next turn by SW:D, BGH, Execute, any minion that can take it out or just general removal like Hex or Polymorph. Leeroy does 2 more damage, costs half the Mana, and when you have a Berserker on your board, you will benefit massively from Leeroy + Whirlwind, giving Leeroy a secondary use. Sure, if you're winning the game, Grommash will make you win it more, but Leeroy is just so much more useful in more situations IMO.

Thoughts?

Whirlwind + grommash has been MVP for me the last few days, I love it.

Ashodin

Oh man, Shockadin just fucked UP Control Warrior :)

Edit: WOO, now I just basted and fried this Priest turkey. LOVE this deck.

Zeliard

I think that deck can make legend, but you really have to identify what you're losing to in order to make adjustments. Assuming your big objective is to get to Jaraxxus, maybe the issue is you're just not surviving long enough to get to the point where you can use him and win. Also, most finishing combos can kill you from 15 health, so it's doesn't matter if you play Jaraxxus without taunts up.

In short, it's hard to know what can be changed without knowing what decks you're facing.

Decks I tend to have trouble with are various rush decks, Hunter especially, as well as Mages with their ability to hit face for big damage while bypassing taunts. Priests can also be an annoyance with Shadow Word: Death and their hand/deck thievery.

Why aren't more priests using Baron Geddon? Seems to be a warrior thing only, but heal or armor for plus 2 are really the same thing.

I use him and it's a lot of fun..One free AOE for 2 dmg guaranteed, plus more if you're lucky, plus does 7 dmg..Could buff him w/PWS if you choose...Great late game play, or when you don't have a nova.

Anustart

Just played against an interesting rogue. He kept almost no cards on the table and focused on calling them back each turn, which he did 3 times? Thought you could only have 2 of one card?

He almost beat me as my deck is focused on board control mostly, and since he had nothing on the table, my former strats were null and void. Luckily I had enough spells and a couple minions to finish him before he did me. At the end he had a 12/8 card out that would have killed me but I got a 6 damage spell as my draw for the final round.

Is there some sort of new meta or something? Went to play my mage daily quest in casual and got matched with 6 murloc decks in a row just now

johnsmith

remember me
Stalled out a bit with warlock, but doing better with aggro hunter. Just hit rank 5. Weird night tonight. At this rank it doesn't seem like there's a dominant deck being played. Last night was nothing but handlocks, but I only played 1 tonight. At rank 5 the meta is all over the place, maybe because weirder decks can reach rank 5 due to the bonus win stars? The reports of hunter's death were greatly exaggerated, it's still a viable class imo. They'll be back in full force by next season.

This is the deck I'm playing at the moment. Thinking of dropping the freezing trap. With so many creatures with battlecries it's seeming like more of a hindrance than a help.
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/53935-darklumiyas-season-2-legend-post-uth-nerf
qb5WWJE.png

What's up with the AI sometimes taking FOREVER to decide on a move, even when there's almost no choices?

Edit: It may actually even be hung (on my PC), although earlier on my iPad it actually did make a move after about 30 seconds.

Anustart

So does expert practice Ai cheat or what? I find it hard to believe this druid always has two 8/8 taunts in his hand every match, and always has a card that will one shot what I lay down.

Is the 1 attack and 2 mana advantage Leeroy have on Reckless Rocketeer enough to justify its legendary status and the gifts you give to your oponnent?

From my understanding, people use Leeroy late in the game,so mana isn't a problem anyway.

Sandwich

Neo Member
Is the 1 attack and 2 mana advantage Leeroy have on Reckless Rocketeer enough to justify its legendary status and the gifts you give to your oponnent?

From my understanding, people use Leeroy late in the game,so mana isn't a problem anyway.

Leeroy is used as a finisher, which makes the whelps meaningless for the most part. It's his low cost and high damage that makes him great because he can be combo'd with other powerful things on the same turn. As a result, he is the best charge minion in the game. At least for finishing blows.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

It's the 2 mana difference that gives Leeroy Legendary status.

Mana to Shadowstep + Shadowstep + Leeroy for 18 damage: 8
Mana to Shadowstep + Rocketeer for 10 damage: 10

Mana to Windfury + Rockbiter + Leeroy for 18 damage: 7
Mana to Windfury + Rockbiter + Rocketeer for 16 damage: 9

He could be 5/2 and he would still get played.

Sandwich

Neo Member
I use the sorry-emote for 3 things.

1. If I had to go afk for a while and wanting to apologize for making them wait. Rarely happens though.

2. If he made a mistake and gave me the "I did a poopy" emote. I respond with the "sorry that happened" emote.

3. If I'm about to lose but then top-deck the exact card I needed to suddenly win the match. I say sorry before using the card, because I know it's annoying when that happens.

My last 2 practice games in a row have frozen on me while the AI is choosing his move. Very frustrating bug, the only way to continue is to completely exit the game and start a new match.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
why not activate Gromm with cruel taskmasters for 12 damage bursts? he's a great finisher for warrior control. and he can be used as board clear, and stick to the board for next turn.
Because Taskmaster is just too useful to keep in your hand for a play that consumes an entire turn and can be easily thwarted by a lot of things. Use Taskmaster on Acolyte/Armorsmith to get more use out of them and to enable them to trade with better minions, use it on enemies to combo with Execute or BGH (in extreme situations), use it to just kill something at 1 health, etc. I don't want to hold it in my hand for the sole purpose of enraging Gromm. Besides, Leeroy + Faceless is the same 12 burst damage for 1 less Mana. You will be holding Faceless in your hand anyway, waiting for a big threat to be played and stay on the board, if no such thing is played, use it on Leeroy to burst your opponent down. Since the 12 damage is spread on two creatures, BGH won't do the trick for them and it's easier for me to get around taunts. Leeroy is also much more useful to me outside of this burst damage than Gromm. Use him as a neutral Fireball to clear big threats or just for 6 damage to the face, play him with Whirlwind to clear the Whelps and buff your Berserker, etc.

Leeroy best case scenario; Leeroy + Inner Rage + Faceless = 3 cards, 9 Mana, 8 damage + 8 damage
Grommash best case scenario; Gromm + Taskmaster + Inner Rage + Inner Rage = 4 cards, 10 Mana, 16 damage

I don't run Inner Rage, so that becomes;
Leeroy + Faceless = 2 cards, 9 Mana, 6 damage + 6 damage
Gromm + Taskmaster = 2 cards, 10 Mana, 12 damage

Worst case scenario:
Leeroy = 1 card, 4 Mana, 6 damage.
Gromm = 1 card, 9 Mana, 4 damage.

I just don't see a huge upside to Gromm, since he is actually more vulnerable in some ways. You can silence Gromm, you can't silence Leeroy + Faceless. Gromm is putting all eggs in one basket, Leeroy is spreading it out over two minions with the opponent only being able to kill one with the Whelps. Gromm is killed by Execute and Big Game Hunter, Leeroy isn't. Gromm is stopped by a single Taunt minion, Leeroy + Faceless can kill a Taunt and then deal 6 to the face.

And then there's the combos. Let's say you have a Berserker on the field and your opponent plays a Taunt minion. Leeroy + Whirlwind + Execute = kill their taunt, buff your Berserker with +5 attack, clear the Whelps, 13 burst damage to the opponent.

Gromm is pretty much restricted to being a finisher. Leeroy is just so much more versatile.

Whirlwind + grommash has been MVP for me the last few days, I love it.
Same as with Taskmaster, I think Whirlwind is just too useful/versatile to keep specifically to buff Gromm. It can net you some extra use out of you Acolyte/Armorsmith, serves as a setup for Execute, can get you insane armor with Armorsmith and multiple minions on the field, can buff your Berserker to insane status and can just be used to clear damaged or pesky 1-health minions without needing to drive your own minions into them (Buzzard/Blood Imp/Young Priestess/Murlocs/Loot Hoarder/Leper Gnome/etc.). Sometimes, double Whirlwind can even be worth it.

I just don't want to hold it in my hand for just using it to enrage Gromm.

Darkone

Loving this game so much, its knowing when to play your cards and have a good shuffle, i had a few times that i was thinking that i was dead and the next draw i got a card that won me the game.
Liking the fact that i still haven't wasted money on this and still having great fun, i did not tried Rank yet because i only started 2 weeks ago and don`t have that many card options.
Playing my 3rd arena and i am at 4/2 with a Priest.

Starting to get a hang of token druid. My brain is so wired to rogue gameplay that I had to forget a bunch of things, but then I had to remember them because I was losing often due to the naturally slow pacing of druid. But I just beat a rogue and zoolock back to back.

Worst match up appears to be handlock though, so that sucks. I guess if they don't drop a turn 4 giant I have a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom