• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeD.nL

I don't think the function Leeroy plays is necessarily bad, or that he's imbalanced in a vacuum, but the leeroy + power overwhelming + faceless combo, or leeroy + shadowstep (x2) combo, or the leeroy + UTH combo are all a bit too strong, I think. All of those are class-specific (unlike previous "too good" cards like novice engineer or argent commander) and can be adjusted without actually changing Leeroy himself, though.

Leeroy should have a spell shield like Faerie Dragon, there are just too many spells like you said that make him go out of control. That way you can play him a that neutral fireball or behind a taunt but not do that near OTK's that are going on right now.

I'd like them to survive a turn :(
and Malygos is so difficult to combo with for non-rouges

I forget who, but I think someone on here runs a Malygos/Moonfire deck as Druid. Not sure how successful it is, but it sounds fun. I've got a Malygos and 3x Moonfire arena going right now for the lulz.

Violet_0

Banned
I forget who, but I think someone on here runs a Malygos/Moonfire deck as Druid. Not sure how successful it is, but it sounds fun. I've got a Malygos and 3x Moonfire arena going right now for the lulz.

I was thinking about making a token druid deck with Mal, but you need 3 cards to achieve what Velen priest can do with 2, you have to run two otherwise completely useless cards and he's probably just way too slow for that deck and Cenarius has a better synergy for the same mana cost. Also, I doubt that he's ever going to live until the next turn, at the very least he'll get silenced. Is token druid still running moonfire?

ViviOggi

Anyone else feel like Handlock is really strong right now? I pulled a second Mountain Giant from my arena pack just now so I can finally put together a decent deck, always found the play style appealing.

Blame Blizz. It's just not worth it to pick any other hero.
Yeah, it's mostly on them. The majority will always go for the most hassle-free option.

TomServo

I've won and lost too many games with the survivor at 1 health to count my chickens, but apparently not everyone has.

Another warrior is at 11 health with a 6/x on the board. I've got Grom and Inner Rage in hand. He plays Gorehowl to my face, plus the minion to get me to one health without a minion on the board to clear his 6/x. His "well played" came out a spilt second before I dropped Grom, enraged, and won.

I would have loved to have seen his face after that one.

inky

I do. It is a lot of fun, but with the amount of removal and faceless manipulators in the game, Malygos is definetely a liability.

I got to rank 6 with it, so it isn't useless, but it is not as fast or reliable as other popular decks because its kill condition is a bit shakey.

Kosma

Banned
I'd like them to survive a turn :(
and Malygos is so difficult to combo with for non-rouges

Yeah but so are most legends that are high cost, cept those that are insant value.

Think most classes would have at least one card that could work with Malygod at 10 mana.

Mage, shaman, rogue, druid, warrior, warlock, hunter, priest.

Only paladin doesnt have anything

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I really enjoy playing decks with lots of cheap mana minions and trying to get early control of a game. I've tried a Warlock deck like this (which is apparently similar in principle to Zoolock?), a Rogue one (although I just don't enjoy playing as Rogue) and now trying with Paladin. Paladin seems like quite a good fit because of his Hero Power. What other classes are good at this kind of play-style, do you think?

FStop7

Banned
I just played some kind of aggro Warrior. All he did was throw 2 to 4 cost minions at me. Is this a new thing? I managed to hold him off but I got near perfect draws to counter him the whole game. One bad draw and I would have lost.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I'm starving for new cards. Let's hope Naxx brings us some good non-gimmick ones outside of the class-cards. Beginning to get a bit tired of the current meta; either you flood the board with cheap stuff and tokens as fast as possible and just play everything to the face, or you wait for a while and then play some sick-ass combo your opponent can't recover from. Best counter to rush decks is playing a rush deck and rushing them down faster than they can rush you down. Best counter to miracle decks is to rush them down before they can pull their combo. Best counter to control decks is to rush them down before they get to late-game.

Any guesses on when the first full card expansion is going to hit?

Only the casting is live, the tournament is pre-recorded. Even if it was live, it would probably have like 10 minutes delay. Also, streamers probably wouldn't want to be caught cheating.

Also,how can they choose their rivals in the arena?
I thought you can only play against friends in casual mode.

FStop7

Banned
Is there some kind of hidden system of ranking behind your visible ranking on the ladder? Like a form of "true skill"?

I keep having the strangest stuff happen. I'll win 6 games in a row on the ladder and then suddenly I'll start going up against opponents using absolutely bizarre card combos or who top deck exactly the cards they need to counter me every single turn. I just ran into a hunter who was playing Venture Co. Mercenary. What? Or a rogue playing Sunwalker. What? These are just two examples - they often play cards nearly unheard of in their class because they're usually of no benefit (or even detrimental), and yet they happen to be perfect for the exact situation they happen to be in at that particular moment. Anyway, like I said I'll go on a 5+ game winning streak and then suddenly the type of opponent I run into dramatically changes and I end up losing all the ground I gained plus more. It's just... it's strange, the way it happens so consistently.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Is there some kind of hidden system of ranking behind your visible ranking on the ladder? Like a form of "true skill"?

I keep having the strangest stuff happen. I'll win 6 games in a row on the ladder and then suddenly I'll start going up against opponents using absolutely bizarre card combos or who top deck exactly the cards they need to counter me every single turn. I just ran into a hunter who was playing Venture Co. Mercenary. What? Or a rogue playing Sunwalker. What? Anyway, like I said I'll go on a 5+ game winning streak and then suddenly the type of opponent I run into dramatically changes and I end up losing all the ground I gained plus more. It's just... it's strange, the way it happens so consistently.
This is the reason why I'm stuck at 12 constantly. I'll get on a really good streak, then I get smashed down by a string of perfect on-curve combos and counters and decks with weird card additions or playstyles that just completely throw me off.

ShinNL

I'm starving for new cards. Let's hope Naxx brings us some good non-gimmick ones outside of the class-cards. Beginning to get a bit tired of the current meta; either you flood the board with cheap stuff and tokens as fast as possible and just playing everything to the face, or you wait for a while and then play some sick-ass combo your opponent can't recover from. Best counter to rush decks is playing a rush deck and rushing them down faster than they can rush you down. Best counter to miracle decks is to rush them down before they can pull their combo. Best counter to control decks is to rush them down before they get to late-game.

Any guesses on when the first full card expansion is going to hit?
My Paladin deck of heals is pretty good to stay out of those 2 categories yet defeat those kind of decks. The secret third option: become a healing god because most of those decks have limited damage output.

I agree on the stale deck variations though.

CoolOff

those are the boss battles

e: the arena tournament is pretty boring. Kripp should be participating

I think they should've drafted like 3 decks and have them to choose from, and then play best of 3 with losers switching decks. This just becomes so dependent on the draft, can't see Reynad losing.

Alur

It's just... it's strange, the way it happens so consistently.

This is the reason why I'm stuck at 12 constantly. I'll get on a really good streak, then I get smashed down by a string of perfect on-curve combos and counters and decks with weird card additions or playstyles that just completely throw me off.

This is exactly what I was saying last page. I've wore a path on the ladder from 14 to 12 the last three days. I run a few and reel off like 5 or 6 straight, then I'll run into hard counters relentlessly for several games straight. The 14-12 range has very few of the "normal" meta decks, lots of strangeness.

I'm actually glad to see someone else is hovering in the same area and I'm not completely crazy.

Violet_0

Banned
I think they should've drafted like 3 decks and have them to choose from, and then play best of 3 with losers switching decks. This just becomes so dependent on the draft, can't see Reynad losing.

agreed, Reynad's deck is a 12-0 compared to what everyone else is playing

I suppose the mage vs mage final is representative for the typical arena experience

FStop7

Banned
This is exactly what I was saying last page. I've wore a path on the ladder from 14 to 12 the last three days. I run a few and reel off like 5 or 6 straight, then I'll run into hard counters relentlessly for several games straight. The 14-12 range has very few of the "normal" meta decks, lots of strangeness.

I'm actually glad to see someone else is hovering in the same area and I'm not completely crazy.

It's not just that they're strange, it's like they're specifically tailored to counter my deck, and they get immaculate draws. Right now I'm running a Druid deck that I made myself. It's not standard to the meta at all. I have some unusual cards in it, and yet my opponents have counters like they were expecting it.

Example - Turn 2 I double Innervate + Coin into Ancient of War and go face expecting Ice Armor and my opponent has Vaporize. WHO PLAYS VAPORIZE. I have a real hard time believing that.

It makes me wonder if there's more to the matchmaking system. Like if there's some kind of deck evaluation happening in the background, trying to match people up against decks that can counter each other.

Alrus

Example - Turn 2 I double Innervate + Coin into Ancient of War and go face expecting Ice Armor and my opponent has Vaporize. WHO PLAYS VAPORIZE. I have a real hard time believing that.

I've faced tons of mage who play Vaporize... Whenever a mage put up a secret early on I always assume it's either vaporize or mirror entity (or whatever that one is called), then try to react accordingly (use a shitty minion to die on vaporize, summon something I know I can easily deal with if it's mirror entity).

Spellbind is almost never used against me, neither is counter spell. Ice Barrier and Ice block I see a lot though, especially with the new wave of nearly pure spell mage that is going on right now.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
And again, I go on a winstreak and then hit a solid brick wall. Vs. Ramp Druid. T2 > Wild Growth, T3 > Wrath + Hero Power to clear Armorsmith, T4 > Druid of the Claw Cat to clear my Berserker, T5 > Innervate + Ragnaros. I had Whirlwind, Whirlwind, Brawl, Coin, Slam and Blood Knight in hand and couldn't do shit. T6 > Violet Teacher + Power of the Wild Panther. I play Brawl on this board of 4, and of course Raganaros survives. I did not draw Big Game Hunter and only got my first Execute three turns later, when Ragnaros had already done too much damage.

How fun.

Kansoku

I am cry.
Hunter, with Buzzard, Hyena, Timber Wolf and 2 hounds form UTH (One died, making Hyena 4/3)
I draw Lightning Storm. It dealt 2 dmg to hyena, everyone else died, buffing it to 12/5
I almost flipped my desk.

Violet_0

Banned
And again, I go on a winstreak and then hit a solid brick wall. Vs. Ramp Druid. T2 > Wild Growth, T3 > Wrath + Hero Power to clear Armorsmith, T4 > Druid of the Claw Cat to clear my Berserker, T5 > Innervate + Ragnaros. I had Whirlwind, Whirlwind, Brawl, Coin, Slam and Blood Knight in hand and couldn't do shit. T6 > Violet Teacher + Power of the Wild Panther. I play Brawl on this board of 4, and of course Raganaros survives. I did not draw Big Game Hunter and only got my first Execute three turns later, when Ragnaros had already done too much damage.

How fun.

eh, what's so unusual about losing a game after a win streak? Seems like the druid abused your weak early game to ramp up quickly and risk-free and got lucky with the Brawl. You had had a hand full of anti-aggro cards and didn't draw one of your three answers for Rag in time, it happens

Kosma

Banned

I swear this happens to me too.

Like who the f runs THAT card? And they do, exactly at the right time.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
eh, what's so unusual about losing a game after a win streak? Seems like the druid abused your weak early game to ramp up quickly and risk-free and got lucky with the Brawl. You had had a hand full of anti-aggro cards and didn't draw one of your three answers for Rag in time, it happens
Only it isn't just 'it happens', it happens in a very consistent pattern. It goes from this:
5HnE7ct.png
... to this ...
... back to this...
Etc.

Now I'm in another losing streak again. It started with a Priest who Thoughtstole my Ragnaros, Taskmaster + Execute combo and Armorsmith and won the game solely because of those cards. Such skill. Such fun.

Kosma

Banned
What program are you using for tracking? I need something too.

Im still mad my game crashed when I had lethal. Rank 6 was so close.

scy

I mean, if you're trying to insist that there's some funny match fixing in the background then, no, that certainly does not happen. Seems more to me a string of bad luck and/or inconsistencies in the deck or lines of play. Of course, I guess I have no real concrete proof for either side of things but eh, it's hard to believe the game is intentionally fixed against you somehow.

It is worth noting that there is an MMR in the background besides just the Rank number if that helps the whole "suddenly different opponents after I win a lot" bit.

CoolOff

So, when Mage is one out of the three offered, how often do you guys think it's picked in arena? Above 70% of the time? Are they aware of how fucked up the situation is, and just don't care?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Blizzard doesn't give two shits about arena.

When I can win more than three matches in Arena with Mage I will take the complaints seriously. Until then you can all suck lemons. Even Priest has gotten me past 3 wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom