• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 Miracle Rogues in a row, I'm starting to really hate that deck. Their turn take so fucking long.

I just beat a miracle rogue who obviously had the whole wombo combo in his hand the entire time, but i just kept throwing up taunts and killing his gadgetzans and other assorted minions. I top decked an acidic ooze and trashed his dagger then had 4 minions out including one ancient of war in taunt mode. He let his entire hand rip and summoned leeroy and vancleef with all of their cold bloods and fancy buffs, but with the one taunt up he couldnt go for face. I was sitting with 30 health and he had 11. As soon as his turn was over he conceded. Felt pretty good

Special C

Man Shockadin is so much fun! Depends on Divine Favor and Equality/Concentration a little too much but I love it none the less. Don't have Leeroy or an Avenging Wrath so I threw Mukla and an Argent Commander in there. Mukla is really only good if you can get him on Turn 2/3 or combo him with Divine Favor, kind of a dead card otherwise.

Switch back to zoo, immediately go 7-0 on the ladder. God I hate the deck so much but it's what works.

I went over to Trump's value zoo (focus on tradeups and board control) and went from rank 12 to 7 today in 35 games (24 wins, 11 losses). Druids really work me over but I like the edge I get in the mirror and the mage deck that is floating around gets completely worked over by it.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Man Shockadin is so much fun! Depends on Divine Favor and Equality/Concentration a little too much but I love it none the less. Don't have Leeroy or an Avenging Wrath so I threw Mukla and an Argent Commander in there. Mukla is really only good if you can get him on Turn 2/3 or combo him with Divine Favor, kind of a dead card otherwise.

I'm playing a more midrange deck because I feel dirty playing face aggro but it's still kind of disgusting how it runs over handlock and warrior like it's a free win. The miracle matchup is worse though compared to the faster aggro lists. I think if other people were playing something similar the win rate would go down a lot because people assume I'm aggro and waste all their removal early,

zoukka

So, when Mage is one out of the three offered, how often do you guys think it's picked in arena? Above 70% of the time? Are they aware of how fucked up the situation is, and just don't care?

Of course Blizz is aware. We need a bigger pool of cards to balance things out and maybe some sort of adjustment to the basic card distribution. I mean the biggest problem is that Fireball and Flamestrike are basics just like Corruption and Humility :D

nautical_j

Neo Member
Switch back to zoo, immediately go 7-0 on the ladder. God I hate the deck so much but it's what works.

I hate zoo deck... But as you it is the deck that works.. However I do feel that Mage is quite well equipped to challenge a zoo deck... I have had quite a bit success off late against zoo deck, murloc deck... Still struggling with control warrior though..

CradleOfMan

Neo Member
So, when Mage is one out of the three offered, how often do you guys think it's picked in arena? Above 70% of the time? Are they aware of how fucked up the situation is, and just don't care?
At least 70% imo. Read just one article or watch one stream about arena and then you will be told this. Any card game in a limited environment will soon find the "best" colour, hero, etc. Hearthstone just has a huge player base and a cheap arena entry fee, so this kind of problem is magnified. I'm know they care, they want people playing and paying, but I imagine it is hard to balance without simply shifting the same problem. Hang in there till the new cards come out, but expect that to mix things up for a short time only.

You can always go anti-mainstream. I find that mages are never frightening, just consistent. Have her at 10 life by turn 7 and flamestrike doesn't mean nearly as much. Still lose to a good mage regularly, of course. My best results and most feared opponents come with tempo decks. I pick rogue above anything else.

Canon

Banned
That feel when you complete 3 quests in one day (in like an hour) and net 240 gold.

Oh, and Mage is the only class I will play if I want to win. I'm only rank 16 though.

NBtoaster

I refuse to play Zoo, but I will play Murlocks. Spend all day trying to make a fun Priest, Paladin or Mage control deck, losing every game, switch to murlocks, endless winstreak.

ViviOggi

I don't play the Arena much, but in constructed mages are pretty rare.

This is known. Aggro Mages are somewhat common for me around rank 5 and occasionally you'll see a stall dipshit but they're not a particularly strong constructed class. Since Arena is largely about trading a handful of minions back and forth though Mages get value all over the place with their versatile hero power and incredibly strong removal kit which is all basic+common, so your average Mage deck has much higher card quality than any other class's

FStop7

Banned
Just won my first game w/ control warrior. I've played vs. the deck many times but never as it. Took a few attempts to get the rhythm but my third game was pretty much by the numbers: early armor building and board control w/ armorsmith and frothing. Play Geddon to clear the board and force the opponent to spend a hard remove (Hex, in this case.) Then drop Alex to cut the opponent's health and force the second Hex. Then drop Faceless to clone opponent's late game damage card (8/8 Frostwolf Warlord) and kill it w/ BGH or Slam+Execute. Then clear the board and drop Ragnaros. Then drop Grommash for the finisher. And constantly hero power. Every turn if you can.

I think Zoo will mostly chew it up, though. It's too slow to develop. But it is fun to play, if not predictable in the late game.

Violet_0

Banned

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Playing Faceless Manipulator on a Murlock's Murkeye to secure the win is so satisfying. I really don't get why people take risks like that. Why play your finisher early when you already have board control and could've just waited for the next turn and guaranteed lethal?

Also, Jaraxxus is no fun to play against. Give them a 3 attack weapon with insane durability, heal them up from certain death and turn their Hero Power into 'summon a 6/6 for 2 Mana' is just insane.

Minsc

Gold Member
Also, Jaraxxus is no fun to play against. Give them a 3 attack weapon with insane durability, heal them up from certain death and turn their Hero Power into 'summon a 6/6 for 2 Mana' is just insane.

Compare him to Alexstrasza. Alexstrasza will also heal up from certain death, but more importantly can be instead used to instantly do 15 damage if you've been focusing on their board the whole game and not their health. And you get an 8/8 on board, so if they can't kill the 8/8 because they've used their hard removal on other things, you've just won with a single card.

Jaraxxus is super slow, slower than Alexstrasza. You get a 3/8 weapon yes, but it is extremely vulnerable to Harrison or Ooze. The 6/6 for 2 mana takes 3 rounds to do anything useful (first round you can't use it because you only have 1 mana left, 2nd round it just sits there looking pretty, and 3 round you finally can attack with one).

I don't know, I find Jaraxxus to be good, but not incredible. Will hardly save you from death because death will still be on the board when you cast him, he doesn't do anything for the board. Being able to do 15 damage with Alexstrasza and get an 8/8 is a lot worse to have happen to you imo.

Sandwich

Neo Member
Bah, did arena as mage and only got 3 spells total. 1 frostlance and 2 frostbolts. Nothing else at all. Only minions. And the minions weren't much to write home about either. Only managed to squeeze out a 4/3 that run :(

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Compare him to Alexstrasza. Alexstrasza will also heal up from certain death, but more importantly can be instead used to instantly do 15 damage if you've been focusing on their board the whole game and not their health. And you get an 8/8 on board, so if they can't kill the 8/8 because they've used their hard removal on other things, you've just won with a single card.

Jaraxxus is super slow, slower than Alexstrasza. You get a 3/8 weapon yes, but it is extremely vulnerable to Harrison or Ooze. The 6/6 for 2 mana takes 3 rounds to do anything useful (first round you can't use it because you only have 1 mana left, 2nd round it just sits there looking pretty, and 3 round you finally can attack with one).

I don't know, I find Jaraxxus to be good, but not incredible. Will hardly save you from death because death will still be on the board when you cast him, he doesn't do anything for the board. Being able to do 15 damage with Alexstrasza and get an 8/8 is a lot worse to have happen to you imo.
Oh sure, I agree, but I just find him very annoying to play against when I have board control and would have had lethal next turn, and that situation is completely turned on its head by them healing back up and being able to put 6/6 on the board the next turn for next to no Mana. Sometimes it just works out and then they play Defender of Argus on it or just Soulfire your biggest threat when they play Jaraxxus, pretty much closing you out of the game if you don't have removal, and it can be very frustrating.

EDIT: To just illustrate what I mean, I was just playing against a Handlock; I got him down to 6 health, had two Leeroy on the board, 4 dmg Gorehowl equipped and he had nothing. Then he plays Jaraxxus and Soulfire to kill one of my Leeroys. Next turn I play Kor'kron Elite and attack him with Gorehowl, Leeroy and Elite to get him down to 1 health and played Cairne (Knowing he had no Molten Giants / Defender of Argus / Twilight Drakes / Soul Siphon / Leeroy / Soulfire left and only one Mountain Giant, Sunfury and Shadowflame. Then he plays Mountain Giant, INFERNO! and Sunfury Protector. GG, you lose. That's just frustrating to me.

Luckily, in this specific example, the opponent was a moronic timer-abusing troll and misplayed by playing Sunfury before Mountain Giant and INFERNO!, still handing me the win.

EDIT2: Got to Rank 10 with 5 stars, and now we're in the losing streak again;

Run into Shockadin. He runs out of cards. I get 6/6 Blood Knight, Ysera, Taskmaster and 3/2 Armorsmith on the board. He topdecks Lay on Hands. He topdecks Equality + Consecration through Lay on Hands. GG.

Run into Aggro Warrior. He plays Gorehowl + Upgrade, then Leeroy + Faceless to burst me for 28 over two turns, winning despite never having board control.

Run into Stall Mage. Has perfect counter for everything. Pyroblast + Fireball + Fireball + Leeroy to burst me for 28 over three turns, winning despite never having board presence.

Etc.

I'm sorry, but there's just nothing I can do against stuff like that.

sibarraz

Banned
For some odd reason, today I wake up at 4:%0 am, so for the first time I tried to reroll the quests to get a 100 gold one.

After 6 minutes I got so fucking bored that I decided to get the 60 gold one

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think there's some sort of limit on how many times you can get Total Dominance in one week. This is just talking out of my ass but I noticed all the quests I flipped through were ones I hadn't done recently.

Ikkarus

I just have a quick question, does anyone know if Tinkmaster affects stealthed minions?

I'm thinking yes as it doesn't specifically target a minion but not 100% sure, I just reached rank 9 and I'm hitting more and more miracle rogues and thought of Tinkmaster as a way around it.

JesseZao

I just have a quick question, does anyone know if Tinkmaster affects stealthed minions?

I'm thinking yes as it doesn't specifically target a minion but not 100% sure, I just reached rank 9 and I'm hitting more and more miracle rogues and thought of Tinkmaster as a way around it.

It certaiy does. Probably the best neutral counter to miracle rogue, but not that great otherwise.

Neki

I got the Harrison Jones dream two games in a row lol, once against jaraxxus and another against a doom hammer, both immediately conceded after I did it. He's really good in the meta right nite because of all the shamans and miracle rogues

Alrus

So, apparently zoo warlock loses to only spells if your a Mage. Lol. Holy shit man

(I beat zoo with only spells)

I've faced a good amount of Ice mage (or stall mage? not sure how that deck is called). And if you play decently a Zoo will just wreck their shit before they can do anything.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Something that everybody forgets is that when Jaraxxus is played, they spend 9 mana and no minion is played on that turn. Then, it takes two full turns before the infernals can ever attack. So they're a complete non-issue for a couple turns. You have two full turns on which you can establish board control, and the only thing the warlock can do to stop you is attack with Blood Fury, which means taking damage to the face.

If Jaraxxus kills you with infernals, you probably lost even before he was played.

inky

Something that everybody forgets is that when Jaraxxus is played, they spend 9 mana and no minion is played on that turn. Then, it takes two full turns before the infernals can ever attack. So they're a complete non-issue for a couple turns. You have two full turns on which you can establish board control, and the only thing the warlock can do to stop you is attack with Blood Fury, which means taking damage to the face.

If Jaraxxus kills you with infernals, you probably lost even before he was played.

Eh, next turn Infernal + Taunt can be quite strong. "Dead turns" is super relative as he can still establish a good defense in that time. Plus being able to immediately do samage or remove a 3 toughness creature is hardly irrelevant.

I've experienced all 3 scenarios: he just gets more ahead, he changes the game, he just prevents death for 1 turn. You people act as if all circumnstances were the same when playing him.

Minsc

Gold Member
Eh, next turn Infernal + Taunt can be quite strong. "Dead turns" is super relative as he can still establish a good defense in that time. Plus being able to immediately do samage or remove a 3 toughness creature is hardly irrelevant.

I've experienced all 3 scenarios: he just gets more ahead, he changes the game, he just prevents death for 1 turn. You people act as if all circumnstances were the same when playing him.

Play Jaraxxus on a board where you have no board control and they have 3-4 ~4 power minions on the board (and spell damage cards in their hand)...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Eh, next turn Infernal + Taunt can be quite strong.

Eh if you're playing handlock and you have no giants in your hand, I guess?

I'm not saying he's a bad card but people who complain he's overpowered don't actually own the card, I'm guessing. Personally I rarely get the chance to use the infernals.

frequency

Jaraxxus is strong but I feel it is far too slow to turn around a losing game in most cases. It's just a fun card for when you're already in a good position and likely on the way to a win anyway.

I totally agree with you, but I did one time play Jaraxxus while I had two Summoning Portals out. Having 5 more mana after summoning Jaraxxus was so awesome lol.

inky

Play Jaraxxus on a board where you have no board control and they have 3-4 ~4 power minions on the board (and spell damage cards in their hand)...

Well, he's not going to save you every time, but he can indeed turn things around.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway, I think I need a break from Hearthstone. I just don't really like the way the meta works at the moment.

It's either rush your enemy down...

Aggro Mage
Aggro Hunter
Aggro Warrior
Shockadin
Zoolock
Murlock​

... or stall for as long as you can while wearing the opponent down, then play some combo wombo finisher ...

Miracle Rogue
Malygos Rogue
Secret Hunter
Handlock
Stall Mage​

... with almost all of the more middle-ground deck either rushed down or out-stalled by these decks. I think I've just been playing a bit too much.

Oscar

Unpacked a Golden Abomination today. Quite possibly my favorite Golden so far. I'm using him in my Control Warrior deck (Rank 8 atm).

hearthstone-abomination-golden.gif

Kosma

Banned
Well Tiemen you do play a lot :p

(Me too)

I agree on the meta being boring but today I was playinh with a friend who doesnt have many cards yet, I made some super gimpy warrior deck and it took us from rank 19>16.

Decks we faced in those low ranks were no netdecks for sure. At least till rank 15 where we ran into a perfect zoolock and then a perfect murlock deck.

Casual too has some fun decks.

Kenaras

I think there's some sort of limit on how many times you can get Total Dominance in one week. This is just talking out of my ass but I noticed all the quests I flipped through were ones I hadn't done recently.

After completing a quest, there does appear to be a cooldown before you can be offered that quest again. From my experience, I'd guess the cooldown lasts three to four days.

Woo, got King Mukla and Tirion Fordring in packs over the holiday weekend. And I just got enough dust to craft an additional legendary. I really want Cairne but it seems like you can't win without Leeroy these days....

Anyway, I think I need a break from Hearthstone. I just don't really like the way the meta works at the moment.

It's either rush your enemy down...

... or stall for as long as you can while wearing the opponent down, then play some combo wombo finisher ...

... with almost all of the more middle-ground deck either rushed down or out-stalled by these decks. I think I've just been playing a bit too much.

The Druid deck that is going around and doing well is full of midrangey super value cards, as is the Shaman midrange deck. I know there are a lot of complaints about OTK combo kills out of control decks but they are a necessity. Hearthstone lets you draw and play a lot of cards with the current cardpool, in that kind of environment without big bursty damage ,midrange value decks would just poop on everything without the combo turn kills int he format.

Violet_0

Banned
ramp druid has the most late-game cards of all decks though, it just doesn't rely on Alex to close the game like the rest of the control decks. Shaman has a very popular combo finisher and so does druid

Zeliard

Just opened up six packs hoping beyond hope to get a Leeroy. First 5 packs - garbage. First 4 cards of the 6th pack - garbage. Literally the very last card I open up - Leeroy!

Raxus

Just opened up six packs hoping beyond hope to get a Leeroy. First 5 packs - garbage. First 4 cards of the 6th pack - garbage. Literally the very last card I open up - Leeroy!

Now you've got chicken!

I have saved up 2k gold waiting for the expansion. I really want to get all the wings and get back to opening packs again.

Zeliard

Now you've got chicken!

I have saved up 2k gold waiting for the expansion. I really want to get all the wings and get back to opening packs again.

I was saving some gold up for the expansion but I've been getting slowly aggravated with the limbolike state of my Handlock, so I just figured what the hell, may as well see what happens.

I would have been somewhat happy with a middling legendary I could have dusted, but to actually get Leeroy (and with the final card, no less) is quite neat. Nice when RNG actually goes your way.

And depending on the real-money cost of the expansion stuff, I may not necessarily have any trouble putting money down. It's a good game, the F2P model isn't insulting, and I have no real issues with supporting it.

ramp druid has the most late-game cards of all decks though, it just doesn't rely on Alex to close the game like the rest of the control decks. Shaman has a very popular combo finisher and so does druid

Doomhammer+Rockbiter is really more of an accidental combo of two very good board control cards combining well to have an game-closing effect even when the opponent isn't playing minions. It's very different than Shadowstep+Leeroy, Faceless+Power Overwhelming +Leeroy, and the even druid token combo.

Running into handlocks all day w/ zoo, ugly stuff. Still 22-17 on the day but getting past rank 5 is hard.

Alrus

Are there really people who play murloc decks and manage to do good with them? Every time I face a murloc deck I'm like "aww cute" and utterly destroy them. It's like the least threatening "popular" deck I've seen. (I like the mechanics but murlocs are so frail...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom