• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

On the plus side for Duplicate, you can finally live the dream of Kirin Tor Mage and secrets.

Well, sort of.

Alur

sy7JCp8.jpg

That frost giant taunt deck would be fairly annoying with this. I, for one, am looking forward to our deathrattle overlords. Time for some new ideas.

Speaking of newish ideas...has anyone seen folks playing the zoo deck but with different classes? And I mean the exact zoo, but with class cards replacing warlock cards. I went up against a mage playing the Zoo with a few replacements for the warlock pieces (Doomguard, etc.) plus 2 frostbolts and 2 fireballs. It was weird.

Bizazedo

Speaking of newish ideas...has anyone seen folks playing the zoo deck but with different classes? And I mean the exact zoo, but with class cards replacing warlock cards. I went up against a mage playing the Zoo with a few replacements for the warlock pieces (Doomguard, etc.) plus 2 frostbolts and 2 fireballs. It was weird.

Yeah, I've faced more than one Rogue doing the same thing.

As for that card, finally, Deathwing! lol.

Alrus

I don't really see the point, the warlock cards are pretty important to that deck. Might as well build an aggro deck that fits your class better.

As for that card, finally, Deathwing! lol.

One of your Deathwing would just be wasted anyway.

Yeah, I've faced more than one Rogue doing the same thing.

The tempo rogue lists don't share very many cards in common with the zoo list-argent squire, harvest golem, and defender of argus are generally the extent of the overlap. That deck plays very differently as well-it keeps the board clear via weapons/spells and efficient trades instead of the zoo style of "trade up one minion by using battlecry effects, play two each turn".

It's actually a very good deck, especially for general laddering. You have good matchups and bad matchups, but people mulligan poorly against you (thinking you are miracle) and your warlock matchup is obscene.

I think the new mage secret is good. It will net 2 minions so that'll be great for fitting more spells in your deck without feeling like you can't get any board presence. My mage secret deck would probably put this in alongside mirror entity. This way my opponent is wary about playing or killing minions. Definitely a midrange deck probably topped off with argent commanders, maybe ragnaros being 1 bomb in the deck.

Alur

I have somehow done the somewhat unfeasible. Through twenty games I went 10-10 and stayed exactly in the same spot on the ladder.

Minsc

Gold Member
I thought is was said that each class gets one new card and all the rest are neutrals?

Correct, only a single class card per class in this PVE adventure. Unlikely we'll see anything else until the expansion which is probably not until after Blizzcon (so either late, late 2014, or next year for the expansion, which also means it's possible the second expansion may not be until 2016 or so).

Alrus

Correct, only a single class card per class in this PVE adventure. Unlikely we'll see anything else until the expansion which is probably not until after Blizzcon (so either late, late 2014, or next year for the expansion, which also means it's possible the second expansion may not be until 2016 or so).

I assume a lot of people will get bored of the meta by then. By that time ladder will be 90% Handlocks and Miracle Rogue.

One expansion a year doesn't seem like a good plan to keep players and make them spend money on your game...

Raxus

I assume a lot of people will get bored of the meta by then. By that time ladder will be 90% Handlocks and Miracle Rogue.

One expansion a year doesn't seem like a good plan to keep players and make them spend money on your game...

They are planning more but Blizzard gonna Blizzard.

Also, Handlocks and Miracle Rogues will be nerfed waaaaay before we need another set to throw things out of whack.

Oh, my mistake, sorry.

So;
Turn 4 - Duplicate, Leper Gnome.
Turn 5 - Duplicate, Leper Gnome x2
Turn 6 - Leper Gnome x2

4 cards, ten damage to health and ten damage to minions. Doesn't seem broken, maybe it'll be good if you can fill the first three turns with face damage and then finish with direct damage spells.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So;
Turn 4 - Duplicate, Leper Gnome.
Turn 5 - Duplicate, Leper Gnome x2
Turn 6 - Leper Gnome x2

4 cards, ten damage to health and ten damage to minions. Doesn't seem broken, maybe it'll be good if you can fill the first three turns with face damage and then finish with direct damage spells.

In MTG, we call this "Magic Christmasland".

It's not even that good!

Alur

Also, Handlocks and Miracle Rogues will be nerfed waaaaay before we need another set to throw things out of whack.

I'm not certain Blizzard is concerned with keeping us playing for long periods, just that we come back when we leave.

In regards to the meta being destroyed, it's Blizzard. I'm confident they'll sort out Miracle Rogues in some form or fashion. If they do that, I'm sure we'll see some variation again for a bit til the next "best thing" is found.

Minsc

Gold Member
Playing Leeroy on a board where they purposely have only 3 minions followed by Mind Control Tech to steal their 9/9 Rag is pretty trollish, lol. Doubly so since it's the second MCT and the first one stole their 5/10 Ancient after they carelessly put a fourth minion on the board. RNGCraft indeed!

Only the worst kind of decks run 2 MCTs I know, but they're just so fun when they pull the good ones over.

daemissary

I think that Blizzard will pick up the pace with expansions if the game continues to do well.

Once people get all of the cards in the base set...there really isn't any motivation to spend money unless you introduce new ones. They'll either have to release expansions on a regular basis or they'll just need to kill the game because it wouldn't be financially viable.

Out of all the cards announced so far I still think Shaman's is the most powerful at the moment.

I think the warrior's 4/2 for 4cc weapon is stronger. I mean, truesilver champion for warrior basically except trade the healing for giving synergy for enrage minions and clearing board of small drops. The second hit is like a free swipe.

Shaman's has a lot of utility, but in pure numbers of strength, I'm not convinced it is the strongest. For finishing combos, they already have whirlwind if they want that double charge.

Minsc

Gold Member
Shaman's has a lot of utility, but in pure numbers of strength, I'm not convinced it is the strongest. For finishing combos, they already have whirlwind if they want that double charge.

Shaman already has Faceless + Hex/BGH to take control / turn any threat the other player uses against themselves, Rebirth means they get another way to do that, a Mindcontrol + 5/5 on the board w/ another mindcontrol in waiting for 8 mana as well. And Rebirth can also go right in to Leeroy for 6 more damage @ 2 mana... I think they win, but Warrior's is not a bad second.

Shaman already has Faceless + Hex/BGH to take control / turn any threat the other player uses against themselves, Rebirth means they get another way to do that, a Mindcontrol + 5/5 on the board w/ another mindcontrol in waiting for 8 mana as well. And Rebirth can also go right in to Leeroy for 6 more damage @ 2 mana... I think they win, but Warrior's is not a bad second.

Windfury is 2 mana as well which is why I am not too worried about it being combo'd on leeroy. Windfury also stacks with rockbiter which rebirth will not. I guess rebirth could be used as a cheap extra 6 damage, which is 1 damage more than lava burst.

I think rebirth is good. I predict the best combos will be with sylvanas or cairne. But also people will already be taking those guys out fairly quickly come naxx, as they are already dealt with pretty fast right now tbh. The threat of faceless on cairne/sylvanas right now is enough to have you deal with them pretty quickly. It will be double once the threat of baron rivendare comes into play. Shaman will have some crazy combos with rivendare + rebirth to say the least. Which is why it'll be a minion you deal with on the turn it is played.

But I think the warrior weapon is going to make a slow deck like cycle warrior even more formidable and aggro warrior will have another tool to help them hold board while smashing into face.

FStop7

Banned
That frost giant taunt deck would be fairly annoying with this. I, for one, am looking forward to our deathrattle overlords. Time for some new ideas.

Yes, there are a ton of aggro decks now. There's a paladin one that runs dual Avenging Wraths, a Mage one, etc.

Unless they get lucky in the early draws they all fall to the Geddon, Alex, Grommash chain of death.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Rivendale is on the board. Cairne, ancestral spirit, rebirth. You have two cairnes and two Baines. That's 6 yetis for 10 mana.

Rivendale is on the board. Sylvanas, ancestral spirit, steal two minions with her deathrattle, you have 2 sylvanas still on the board and two minions for 9 mana.

Ancestral Spirit + Rebirth is very close to faceless manipulator, but triggers deathrattles and could heal for 1 less mana.

scy

M3WPbK3.png

But I think the warrior weapon is going to make a slow deck like cycle warrior even more formidable and aggro warrior will have another tool to help them hold board while smashing into face.

Put another way, the Warrior card stands alone the best. It doesn't have any real board state requirements to utilize it nor does it actually have much trouble just slotting into decks without seeing other Naxx cards to go alongside it.

Alur

Unless they get lucky in the early draws they all fall to the Geddon, Alex, Grommash chain of death.

How does the control warrior perform against Handlock and the smorgasbord of druids (watcher/ramp/token)?

I'd really like to give it a go as my second deck when Zoo hits the taunt walls, but I need a good list and I still haven't gotten to see anyone play it outside of Admirable for about 4 games one night.

Alrus

I don't understand why most Zoo don't use at least one Ooze in their deck, it saved my ass so many time against Warriors and Shamans. I guess in the higher ranks there's less weapon users so it's not nearly as valuable.

I think the warrior's 4/2 for 4cc weapon is stronger. I mean, truesilver champion for warrior basically except trade the healing for giving synergy for enrage minions and clearing board of small drops. The second hit is like a free swipe..

I think this weapon is super powerful-it's "on curve" with Fiery Win Axe, hits hard, and has a great death rattle effect that is synergistic with basically everything a warrior deck wants to do regardless of aggro or control. Arcanite Reaper was a pain because of the high cost, and yet still played in the warrior beatdown decks. This is way better.

The rogue one looks vanilla but it is also very good in the tempo rogue deck. It's a great beater that works well with a lot of the other cards that deck plays (hello SI:7 Agent).

I don't understand why most Zoo don't use at least one Ooze in their deck, it saved my ass so many time against Warriors and Shamans. I guess in the higher ranks there's less weapon users so it's not nearly as valuable.

Shieldbearer handles most of this work for me. Shaman's hitting with stormforged isn't that scary , they still need fast wolves and at least one lightning storm to stay in the game. I just ran over a control warrior with double fiery win axe without a sweat thanks to turn 1 shieldbearer. It messed up his mulligan completely.

Just ran into a rogue deck playing alarm-o-bot+conceal. He lived the dream and put Deathwing into play, but I still killed him the next turn.

Strider

Got home from work "hmmmm.... Think I'll play some Hearthstone. I'll play until I lose." Well I started playing an hour and a half ago and I'm still going. Feels good man.

I'll lose next game

Paladins chewing up the handlocks on the ladder is so great. The golden version of equality should have a wrecking ball going through a molten giant.

FStop7

Banned
How does the control warrior perform against Handlock and the smorgasbord of druids (watcher/ramp/token)?

I'd really like to give it a go as my second deck when Zoo hits the taunt walls, but I need a good list and I still haven't gotten to see anyone play it outside of Admirable for about 4 games one night.

I do okay against handlock since they hold cards until they can play their giants. Hopefully by then I've managed to draw my Executes, Shield Slams, and Whirlwinds. The biggest danger is that I've sometimes been forced to spend all of the cards I would use to activate Grommash before I can play him. I do wish I could attack my own minions directly with weapons, then as a last resort I could always activate him with a Fiery War Axe.

Shock Paladin is the toughest zoo-like class I've played against because they can (and often do) spam divine shields and buff their minions with Sword of Justice. So suddenly Whirlwind is less effective and I run the risk of bleeding out before I can play Baron Geddon. And even if I can play him it often won't help enough. Hence, it's super important to kill every minion as soon as it's played.

My Warrior deck's 30th card is kind of a pivot. I normally play 2x Kor'kron Elites, but I will sometimes replace one with Black Knight, Harrison Jones, Azure Drake, Cairne, Hogger, Wild Pyromancer, or Bloodmage Thalnos. I've tried all sorts of different variations. Black Knight has worked well the few times I've come up against big taunts like Tirion or the misc. Druid cards. Harrison hasn't been that effective. Cairne usually gets silenced or removed - which is actually beneficial because opponents will spend a lot to get rid of him. If I keep running into shock paladians I'll probably try out Blood Knight.

Strider

The streak finally ended. I played the last one really poorly. Moved up 5 ranks though which is pretty damn cool. I'm done with ladder until the next season starts now...

So my first season I finished rank 12. In the 2nd I finished rank 8. Improvement Gaf, improvement. Next month I aim for 6. Baby steps towards legend (hopefully).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom