• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CradleOfMan

Neo Member
I'm LOVING this new meta... My previous "mage buster" Pally is now stomping through just about everyone because the name of the game seems to be "blow your load fast and to the face!" so I let people wail on me, and I heal up and keep their minions down and by turn 7 or 8 most of my opponents seem played out.

Not even mad that you guys destroyed my miracle Rogue that I loved playing so much now :)

(edit)

I really need to come up with a new name for it... The original design came about many patches ago (pre massive mage nerfs) where mages would just freeze you all game then fireball/pyroblast you to death.

It's very much a "mid" game Pally, with the cards more or less being designed to combo either with themselves against a late game deck (druids, hand locks) or to keep you out of "insta death" range (miracle rogue in particular, but works well against most rush decks). Plenty of spot removal and AoE and card draw so you're never starved, and you never have to worry about things like divine favor procing favorably which makes it a lot more consistent than shockadin (IMO).

For being the second day of a new season, I'm rising through ranks fast (just got past 10) and have been on a constant win streak... usually at the start of the season I get a lot more yoyoing. Just feels realll good right now.

(for those without the legendaries, those are very much "win more" cards and can be replaced with argent crusaders and/or Sunwalkers depending on if you're facing people with black knights/aggro/etc)

Nice deck. Hardly surprising in the meta cycle that after a aggro deck "found out" a combo one (Shock vs Miracle) something mid-range is working. Next step: Legendary rank!

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
And again.

Opponent runs out of cards. I have still three cards in my deck; one of them Grommash. I already survived him playing Mind Control on both my Cairne and Alexstrasza. I have a massive health and armor lead. His final card is Thoughtsteal. Thoughtsteal > Grommash > Divine Spirit. GG.

That kind of stuff is just bullshit and it really grinds my gears. I don't see how that is fun to play against or fair to lose against. Divine Spirit and Inner Fire are exactly the reasons that Priest doesn't have access to Gromm. No class should be able to access high level class-cards of other classes, because there is a reason those cards are not available to that class.

Ugh, please stop this Priest BS.

Cabal Shadow Priest fucks me over every time (Armorsmith / unbuffed Berserker / Acolyte / Taskmaster), Thoughtsteal takes only good cards / combos without fail (LOL Taskmaster + Execute / Ragnaros + Fiery War Axe / Cairne + Armorsmith / Kor'kron Elite + Kor'kron Elite), etc.

There is a reason Priest can't pick those cards by default you know.

I had this Priest down to 12 health, with me at 30 health and 15 armor. Due to him stealing counters to my plays, getting bs-RNG with a stolen Ragnaros (killed my enraged Gromm that would have killed him next turn) and having a ton of healing (Holy Nova x2 / Earthern Ring Farseer x2 / Holy Fire x2 / using his hero power every turn), I eventually lost. I died solely from fatigue while having 30 health + 5 armor.

What a load of bs.

That's why I love playing as the Priest. It's one of the weaker classes but Priests have fantastic comeback potential. Had a guy have me down to six health with him at full. A couple of Thoughtsteals and Holy Fires later and I ended up winning the match.

Cabal Shadow Priest is an amazing card. So many good targets.

inky

What's the consensus on Lord Jaraxxus? It seems mightily OP to me. How do you deal with him?

The consensus is the forum pros are going to tell you it's so easy to deal with him or you were already dead before he appeared. No middle ground.

Aylinato

So. Game last night. He did Leroy, I kill it with holy nova. Now let me share my board. 1 rag, 2 whelps, and 2 other minions. He another creature with lerroy. So what happens next is I'm at 7 health and I play a faceless. I had 3 faceless in my hand and ended up with 3 ragnaros on my side of the field, I had thought stole two faceless and a rag. My own deck had another faceless and another rag, so I could have gotten 5 rags. LOL

frequency

What's the consensus on Lord Jaraxxus? It seems mightily OP to me. How do you deal with him?

It's good but generally too slow. And with only 30 cards in a deck, Jaraxxus often just doesn't have a place to fit in.

I would hold onto it though for if the meta swings back to being slower. With all the rush and combos in the current meta, it's hard to justify having Jaraxxus in your deck.

Raxus

Stealing a miracle rouges Auctioneer?

Priceless.

Hearthstone_Screenshot_622014092542_zps121f21d7.png

THE DREAM IS DEAAAAAAD.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If this keeps up, Blizzard might leave Miracle alone.

Go forth, Priests and Paladins, and save my favorite deck.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

You kill him. The warlock is sacrificing the option to establish board control for a full turn. That's huge.

Quixzlizx

I just started playing HS last weekend. Is there an up-to-date list of the general mechanics of popular deck types? "Miracle rogue" doesn't explain anything without looking up a decklist.

Also, is there a good guide to what the current meta is in Arena, as in what the best classes are and what the must-draft cards are?

CoolOff

I just started playing HS last weekend. Is there an up-to-date list of the general mechanics of popular deck types? "Miracle rogue" doesn't explain anything without looking up a decklist.

Also, is there a good guide to what the current meta is in Arena, as in what the best classes are and what the must-draft cards are?

Arenaclasses are roughly ranked: Mage >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Paladin=Rogue=Druid>Shaman>Priest=Warlock=Warrior

As for cards, this is a pretty good list:

http://www.liquidhearth.com/guides/arena-tier-list

That spot in Handlock waffles between Alexstrasza and Jaraxxus. Both offer you a heal to 15 if that's what you are looking for. The difference is that Alexstrasza offers you a burn option and a giant body on the board while Jaraxxus offers you crushing inevitability through the static attack damage and 6/6 infernal hero power.

As it turns out, the option for burst+board presence is more relevant in the current combo kill metagame.It might swing back to being more friendly to Jaraxxus later on.

CoolOff

I'm having some serious success with a Hunter without Buzzard + UTH at the moment. It's really interesting to see people play around it when you don't actually have the threat.

Also, Snipe on Miracle Rogues playing Gadgetzan is hilarious. Insta-conceed.

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
Speaking of Jarraxus...

I had a Mage mirror entity mine. I was afraid she would get the hero replacement but he just ended up on the board as a 3/15 creature. Weird. Not what I was expecting.

Question for those who use Alexstraza: When she targets a Warrior with armor, does it get rid of the armor too and just leave their health at 15? Or does she take the health down to 15 and leave the armor? Thanks.

Avinexus

Speaking of Jarraxus...

I had a Mage mirror entity mine. I was afraid she would get the hero replacement but he just ended up on the board as a 3/15 creature. Weird. Not what I was expecting.

Question for those who use Alexstraza: When she targets a Warrior with armor, does it get rid of the armor too and just leave their health at 15? Or does she take the health down to 15 and leave the armor? Thanks.

No Alex doesn't get rid of armor, it used to but Blizz decided that was OP.

Aylinato

Finally got my golden Paladin. My opponent in my first game just stared at my portrait and then conceded after I played my golden recruit.

SKAqh6p.jpg

Tell me when you've got three rags on the field. (And another faceless, and another rag in your deck.)

:$

FStop7

Banned
The ladder's a tough place to play in right now.

I started rank 18 after the reset. I promptly got pushed back to 20. Then pushed back to 3 stars rank 17. Then back and forth within 17, unable to break into 16. Then all the way back to 19. Now I'm back to 17. I will not be denied goddammit.

ShinNL

I felt bad for this Shaman who was forced to use Lightning Storm, Lighting Bolt and Rockbiter to take out my Ragnaros, but not before playing Unbound Elemental.

Unbound Elemental (4/6) was taking out with Hammer of Wrath + Truesilver Champion.

After he cleared my Ysera with a Frog and and cleared my board that had Guardian of Light, he developed some presence with a Doomhammer, 1 Spirit Wolf, 2 totems and a Flametongue Totem and brought me to 22 HP.

Then the whole plan I setup (damn that Guardian of Light is perfect for this) was executed..

Equality, Consecration, Acidic Swamp Ooze, Holy Light.

He was down to 1 card.

Poor guy.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

I started rank 18 after the reset. I promptly got pushed back to 20. Then pushed back to 3 stars rank 17. Then back and forth within 17, unable to break into 16. Then all the way back to 19. Now I'm back to 17. I will not be denied goddammit.

Isn't it always like this? If you just waited two weeks you'd probably go up no problem. But of course everyone wants to play. :p I was 8 and now around 16-17 as well.

Slogging through from 17 to 13 yesterday was rough stuff. Even going 57% win rate over a large (50+) number of games was only good for that.

Vio-Lence

Banned
And again.

Opponent runs out of cards. I have still three cards in my deck; one of them Grommash. I already survived him playing Mind Control on both my Cairne and Alexstrasza. I have a massive health and armor lead. His final card is Thoughtsteal. Thoughtsteal > Grommash > Divine Spirit. GG.

That kind of stuff is just bullshit and it really grinds my gears. I don't see how that is fun to play against or fair to lose against. Divine Spirit and Inner Fire are exactly the reasons that Priest doesn't have access to Gromm. No class should be able to access high level class-cards of other classes, because there is a reason those cards are not available to that class.

The lesson should be play Grom as a finisher 90% of the time.

And you need to start considering what cards your opponent may have before making plays etc.

FStop7

Banned
Isn't it always like this? If you just waited two weeks you'd probably go up no problem. But of course everyone wants to play. :p I was 8 and now around 16-17 as well.

It's frustrating but it's also an opportunity to play against some legitimately good players.

Violet_0

Banned
had a interesting game paladin against druid with 3 molten giants (he copied one of mine), 2 Ragnaros, 2 Yseras, 2 Cairne, Bloodmage, Sylvanas, Black Knight between the two us, heh. P2W indeed

I somehow won despite losing Rag to a BGH and taunted Cairne to Black Knight

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
The lesson should be play Grom as a finisher 90% of the time.

And you need to start considering what cards your opponent may have before making plays etc.
Lolwat?
Gromm was still in my deck. I hadn't drawn him yet. What 'lesson' are you talking about?
And how can I possibly prepare for him using Thoughtsteal to steal great cards still in my deck other than praying to RNGesus that I draw them out of it before he uses Thoughtsteal?

EDIT: Are you perhaps confusing Thoughtsteal with Mind Control?

johnsmith

remember me
Hmm I have enough dust for another legendary but there's nothing I really need. I'm missing more class epics than anything, but spending dust on those seems like a waste.

Also opened up a Tirion. Tempted to stick into a shockadin deck since he seems so op.

FStop7

Banned
And again.

This is true but the bottom line is that priest is nowhere in the meta, it takes a beast like Amaz to play Priest to legend and even he had to bust his ass doing it. Priest is cannon fodder to rogue and aggro decks because there are no big minions to steal. That said if you do run into a high level priest you can pretty much expect them to be dangerous.

To respond to your other post (2nd attempt, my iPhone at the first one) - If you go past turn 30 with control warrior you're almost guaranteed dead, especially vs. Priest. Using Hearthtracker over around 100 games w/ warrior I found that almost all of my wins came between turns 24 - 26. That's the sweet spot for the Geddon, Rag/Alex, Gromm ramp. My longest game was 38 turns, a loss vs. a Priest. Almost all of my 30+ turn games were vs. Priest and almost all were losses. All of my wins have been when I can consistently neutralize the other player's minions or force him to spend all of his hard removals against my soft taunts. Geddon and Rag are awesome soft taunts because they do guaranteed damage and they demand immediate removal. Even if they get Facelessed it's often too late to be of any help.

JesseZao

Hmm I have enough dust for another legendary but there's nothing I really need. I'm missing more class epics than anything, but spending dust on those seems like a waste.

Also opened up a Tirion. Tempted to stick into a shockadin deck since he seems so op.

Way too late of a card for Divine Aggro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom