• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

troushers

haha, what are the odds of that?

Kinda interesting. A 30 card deck, 4 of them in hand and not part of the mulligan, so 26 to choose from. So to get the same draw in any pattern would be 4/26*3/25*2/24*1/23 = 0.00006689, or 1 in 14,950.

But they came out in the exact same pattern. He's got 1 of each of those cards within the 30, so the odds on the face of it for the same 4 in any combination is 1/26*1/25*1/24*1/23 = 0.000002787, or 1 in 358,800.

I think that math is right.

I beat a guy and he sent a friend request and he is being totally cool and we're talking about decks and he's not calling me names or anything.

Is this really the internet? I don't even know how to process this.

I had a guy add me and ask me if i was on food stamps, called me an americunt, porch monkey and asked me if my life was good enough. When I replied I was a white Canadian law student he unfriended me :(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Man. I've dusted 2 extra Bloodmage Thalnos, 2 Nozdormus, and a Milhouse Manastorm. My success rate with legendaries that I can actually use is only a third, lol.

Birdman02

Man. I've dusted 2 extra Bloodmage Thalnos, 2 Nozdormus, and a Milhouse Manastorm. My success rate with legendaries that I can actually use is only a third, lol.

I've had terrible luck pulling useful legendaries. i've only pulled millhouse, the beast, alexstrasza, deathwing, and nozdormu. Only one of those shows up in any legitimate deck.

Violet_0

Banned
my legendaries from pack so far: Archmage Antonidas, Prophet Velen, Bloodmage Thalos, Grommash, Ysera (duplicate), 2 King Mukla. Not that bad, I guess

haven't gotten a legendary in like the last 30 packs, and never a golden one

Anustart

I do not know how to play warrior lol. 0-3 in arena with him. Also, I play as mage in ranked, and out of 11 arena runs, I've never been given the option.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just saw a guy do this crazy move. Played Leeroy, attacked, and then took him back into hand and attacking again. You Rogues are all so clever and creative.

ViviOggi

YoKuKzp.png

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So I recently got into this, and well I'm still a total newb, haven't even finished getting all my classes to level 10 to unlock the skills.

The game's fun as heck, it's a bit too creature heavy, but that's what Blizzard wanted heh.

Also I found a new love, and it's called unleash the hounds. Bwhaha that shit's hilarious, the dogs even come with charge lol.

Warlock is hella lol too, those quick succubi can wreack havok.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Btw what's going with this game, are the servers crap or people like to plug when they're losing? It's happenning too often that the game lags out and stops working on the last turn of the game as I'm about to deliver the killing blow.

Minsc

Gold Member
Btw what's going with this game, are the servers crap or people like to plug when they're losing? It's happenning too often that the game lags out and stops working on the last turn of the game as I'm about to deliver the killing blow.

Most people do find it proper etiquette to concede if you have lethal showing, if that's what you're referring to.

New002

Most people do find it proper etiquette to concede if you have lethal showing, if that's what you're referring to.

Really now? So it is seen as proper etiquette for an opponent to concede if you are showing lethal damage? That's interesting. I find it incredibly annoying when people concede right before the match is over. Personally I always let the game play out even in a situation like the one you have described. They beat me and I think it's only fair that they get to play it out to the end.

Xater

Really now? So it is seen as proper etiquette for an opponent to concede if you are showing lethal damage? That's interesting. I find it incredibly annoying when people concede right before the match is over. Personally I always let the game play out even in a situation like the one you have described. They beat me and I think it's only fair that they get to play it out to the end.

The quicker things go the better. Quitting when it's over is totally normal.

giapel

I'm ok with quitting before the final blows. What irritates me is the "well played" before revealing the lethal hand. Also, playing more cards than you need while having lethal just to show off is lame.

scy

It's basically just the norm carried over from playing physical cards, really. I respect my opponent enough to assume they know when they're showing lethal on me and I respect their time enough to not make them waste 20-30 seconds to do something trivial.

frequency

What bothers me is when people stay and hope I make a mistake or something but concede when they see that I do see lethal and am in the middle of attacking.

Like they wait for me to attack and when I do and they realize I didn't miss it, they quickly press concede in the middle of my turn. Saving all of 2 seconds and taking away satisfaction of their face exploding.
But I imagine those people are usually pretty unhappy about losing so I don't lose too much satisfaction.

New002

The quicker things go the better. Quitting when it's over is totally normal.

Hmm, I guess I didn't really look at it from the other end. Do the people that are winning prefer it because the outcome is inevitable and thus it gets them to a new game quicker? I hadn't considered that! All I know is that I would appreciate being allowed to see the match through and so I do the same for others :)

scy

What bothers me is when people stay and hope I make a mistake or something but concede when they see that I do see lethal and am in the middle of attacking.

I'll insta-concede when they show lethal from hand (e.g., Force of Nature). The exception is like vs Miracle Rogue where you never know when they're bluffing the 2x Shadowstep or Cold Bloods necessary. If I overlook lethal on board, I'll usually let it through though.

I've stopped "hoping" my opponent missed lethal. Just seems too disrespectful at that point. Plus, I don't quite like winning because my opponent didn't know that 3 + 3 + 4 > 7.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I say 'well played' before killing someone. What's the problem with that?

And I will BM you if you say 'well played' before actually having lethal, because you're being a smug asshole and you deserve it.

What never fails to amuse me is the 'lol WELLPLAYED SORRY LOLOL' by players that cast Hex or Polymorph on something I specifically put out to draw out a Hex or Polymorph. I always make sure to thank them before crushing their face.

You know, at first I was polite to everyone in this game, but I've stopped doing that now. I learned that the vast majority of the players are either assholes, spiting you, or being sarcastic, so why should I even bother being polite?

frequency

I don't think there is a problem with "Well Played" before ending a match.

I squelch basically everyone though so I never see it and don't use emotes myself. I wonder if people see that as me being rude or mad when I don't return "Well Played" emotes at the end of matches.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

And I will BM you if you say 'well played' before actually having lethal, because you're being a smug asshole and you deserve it.

What never fails to amuse me is the 'lol WELLPLAYED SORRY LOLOL' by players that cast Hex or Polymorph on something I specifically put out to draw out a Hex or Polymorph. I always make sure to thank them before crushing their face.

You know, at first I was polite to everyone in this game, but I've stopped doing that now. I learned that the vast majority of the players are either assholes, spiting you, or being sarcastic, so why should I even bother being polite?
Interesting...I've found vast majority to be either polite or silent. I vacillate between the two depending. I'll respond to a greeting and sometimes a Well Played (I'm usually doing other stuff while playing so half the time don't even watch others' turns, especially when it seems to be game over). I give my Well Played after the kill just because I don't want to give the impression I'm saying haha check out this badass kill I'm about to pull off. I always respond to a defensive Well Played. That's pretty class right there. I think I'm overthinking it though. :p

Edit: This is in the middle ranges btw. 8 (end of season)-15 (early season). We're all kind of good but not great so I don't think there is probably as much of the trolling you see at the lower levels or the smugness at the higher levels maybe?

It's basically just the norm carried over from playing physical cards, really. I respect my opponent enough to assume they know when they're showing lethal on me and I respect their time enough to not make them waste 20-30 seconds to do something trivial.

I can see that way of thinking, but I look at it like this: I want the chance to actually use the cards that I put on the table. By conceding, you're denying me the fun of actually smashing your face with that big ass minion. I'll gladly use those 10 seconds of my life to actually play the game. I don't consider it an insult for someone to concede during my turn, a win is still a win, but it's kind of disappointing.

scy

I don't think there is a problem with "Well Played" before ending a match.

I squelch basically everyone though so I never see it and don't use emotes myself. I wonder if people see that as me being rude or mad when I don't return "Well Played" emotes at the end of matches.

I think it's more just the whole "well played before actually winning" is rude sort of thing. Just hard to say that seriously for a game like Hearthstone where the player can't actually stop lethal anyway.

I can see that way of thinking, but I look at it like this: I want the chance to actually use the cards that I put on the table. By conceding, you're denying me the fun of actually smashing your face with that big ass minion. I'll gladly use those 10 seconds of my life to actually play the game. I don't consider it an insult for someone to concede during my turn, a win is still a win, but it's kind of disappointing.

Like I said, it comes from playing physical cards where it's more of the player conceding instead of being asked if they can prevent lethal. Just cuts out the added step of an attack being declared. There's no real interaction lost here.

I'm not really surprised that Hearthstone has people who want to play it out. You're actually doing things, there's a visual to go with it, etc. etc. compared to physical cards where it's your opponent just going "You win" a turn earlier with no other changes :x

de1irium

In many games, it's on the loser to say gg and concede ... so a lot of people see a pre-win WP akin to a winner saying "GG," which is considered bad mannered.

In any case, I find people get waaaaay too worked up by emote usage. I typically greet then squelch.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
In many games, it's on the loser to say gg and concede ... so a lot of people see a pre-win WP akin to a winner saying "GG," which is considered bad mannered.
I guess I never thought about it like that.

I can't wait to get to lvl 49 on my Warrior btw;
CS2_106_premium.gif

Almost there...

Special C

I was getting BM'd by a guy who had a pretty obvious win, he had a full board with Taunts and 9 health. Topdecked a Starfire into a Swipe. It was an arena draft and those were literally the only two cards in my deck that could have gotten me the win. Felt so good.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

In any case, I find people get waaaaay too worked up by emote usage. I typically greet then squelch.

If someone threatens me, I tend to apologise. It's all lighthearted. But if it's been a good game, and I know its over for me, I usually say well played and then concede.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Hearthstone is different, though. I think saying WP just before killing somebody is typically fine, but only when you are 100% positive you have lethal. If your opponent still has plays they can make, then don't. Hearthstone isn't StarCraft.

Minsc

Gold Member
I still just "well played" before winning as soon as they pass their turn to me to let them know they can concede instead of watching 7 animations play through. So "well played" > spell > spell > spell > attack to face > attack to face > attack to face > attack to face. Saves them a lot of time if they just want to quit early and know it's coming.

Plus I find if they're at like 28 health when I do it they will actually be surprised to see so much damage and usually just sit and watch it all (I guess hoping I miscounted or something).

I've seen people who will spam well played over and over on your turn if for example you're under 6 health and they're a mage and holding a fireball (which you don't know), they'll spam well-played over and over, I guess to signal that they have lethal and are going to win, so don't waste their time playing out your turn if you can't kill them... though you never know, so I just ignore it.

JesseZao

I still just "well played" before winning as soon as they pass their turn to me to let them know they can concede instead of watching 7 animations play through. So "well played" > spell > spell > spell > attack to face > attack to face > attack to face > attack to face. Saves them a lot of time if they just want to quit early and know it's coming.

Plus I find if they're at like 28 health when I do it they will actually be surprised to see so much damage and usually just sit and watch it all (I guess hoping I miscounted or something).

I've seen people who will spam well played over and over on your turn if for example you're under 6 health and they're a mage and holding a fireball (which you don't know), they'll spam well-played over and over, I guess to signal that they have lethal and are going to win, so don't waste their time playing out your turn if you can't kill them... though you never know, so I just ignore it.

That's the thing. You can't know they have lethal for sure; so until it's on board you should hold. Even then, they could make a mistake in targeting.

Heel

LHS1R7P.gif

At least as a lower ranked beginner, I'm not going to give up early and assume my opponent sees lethal. I'm not going to hint at it, either. I've won games by my opponent quitting or giving me a "well played" before I even recognize that I've got them dead. I'm sure others have had similar experiences.

Also, I consider "well played" before a final flurry of awesomeness to be somewhat annoying. I'd prefer people just play it out if you're going to kill me seemingly out of no where. Maybe that's just me.

djm

Decided to enter the arena again after a 2-3 month hiatus as I learned the game playing constructed and watching streams.

First draft: mage with 2 sheeps, 3 fireballs, and 2 flamestrikes. Yeah, so let's see how I screw this one up somehow.

edit: also, near perfect middle finger mana curve.

ZZMitch

Does anyone here use the Heathstats auto uploader?

Since I started using it Hearthstone has begin to freeze and slow down all the time to the point of being unplayable.

Anyone else have this issue?

I love having Ice Block up as a Mage with lethal in my hand. End my turn, "Well played" to give them false hope that I'm about to lose, then Pyroblast them in the face for the win on my turn.

Sadness is when it is a Hunter and he Flares and fucks me up.

Been trying my own Priest deck for the last couple of days, I'm about 50/50 which I guess isn't too bad but I can't really overcome early rush decks too easily.

So I decided to scum it up and modify a zoo deck and so far I'm 4-0. Works.

ZZMitch

I am having the strangest issue with Hearthstone right now.

I just downloaded it onto my desktop (usually play on my laptop). Whenever I open it the game starts (the logo shows up in the task bar, the music plays, my cursor becomes a hand etc.), but it never shows up on the screen. I can tell its open because when I move the cursor around it makes little noises when it goes over buttons and stuff...

anyone know what the issue is?

Edit: looks like an issue with D3Doverrider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom