• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
80% of my games right now are against mages.
mages are the new rogue :/

Play the coldlight or cancer rogue decks and get a good matchup vs. the freeze mages, the miracle rogues, and the ramp druids.

I went up four ranks today on Freeze Mage in my first day of serious laddering in a week (went from 9 to 5). Zoo has basically disappeared-I played 2 matches vs. it in about 45 games today. Handlock , Miracle Rogue, and Ramp Druid seem to be the most popular decks at this tier. It's going to be a slog getting to Legend but Freeze Mage seems a good way to do it until the Control Warriors and/or Face Hunters w/ Flare come back in bigger force.

Honestly, if this is true then that's sort of a good thing ... assuming it's not just a flavor of the week, it means top strats shifted naturally without balance adjustments.

A lot of people swapped to aggro decks for fast streak laddering when the reset happened. Otter Pop Freeze Mage has good matchup vs. most aggro decks. Once it becomes a known entity and if the meta shifts against it, it will be very, very bad.

manhack

Just went 11 wins in the arena as a Mage (don't hate). My last game for the 12th win was against the most annoying priest on the planet (is that redundant?). Heal, shadow word, cabal priest, blegh.

Got to admit it was a pretty big rush and considering I was 7-2 at some point I can't believe I made it that far. I've been playing for months and my previous win record was 7, so this was a big deal. So close to 12 I can taste it.

Ikkarus

Just went 11 wins in the arena as a Mage (don't hate). My last game for the 12th win was against the most annoying priest on the planet (is that redundant?). Heal, shadow word, cabal priest, blegh.

Got to admit it was a pretty big rush and considering I was 7-2 at some point I can't believe I made it that far. I've been playing for months and my previous win record was 7, so this was a big deal. So close to 12 I can taste it.
Congrats!

Reaching 12 wins in arena isn't a walk in the park.

My current record stands at 7 wins, one day I hope to reach 12!

scy

Has it ever been big? It's the most expensive deck in the game after all and is still seen on the higher ranks from time to time.

It was a dominating part of the meta for awhile (around the last two test seasons). The "cost" of the deck isn't that big for those who played a ton back then / paid money either. It fell off a bit during the anti-Control Warrior Hunter decks and then it has a bad Miracle and Zoo match-up so it hasn't been around nearly as much.

Violet_0

Banned
decided to play my first arena in months, ended up 1-3. The deck was decent too, aside from the complete lack of removals (lol paladin). At least I got 30 gold back so I don't mind. Got a Twisting Nether in the pack :(

Ashodin

My Paladin rush ramp deck really screwed people over yesterday. They thought I wad playing regular Shockadin, and underestimated my other minions. Blasting though druid taunts is fun too.

SteveWD40

Congrats!

Reaching 12 wins in arena isn't a walk in the park.

My current record stands at 7 wins, one day I hope to reach 12!

Yeah, I got to 9 twice, both times with Mages with 3-4 Flamestrikes. Cheesing those late turns by just wiping their board over and over felt dirty...

Until the Imp Master dies, anyway. At least with priest you can use inner fire to give him some board presence.

I couldn't kill it, though. All the Shaman's lightning spells were clearing my board (Zoolock) and none of my taunts came out. And the healing always procs before the Imp Master's ability, so it'll always reset to 1/1

I've seen a Shaman deck like that, did they also run a Hogger by any chance?

If they had one, they didn't play it. I conceded once the Shaman played Bloodlust x 2 on a Shieldbearer, 2 Imps and Master, and Healing Totem. I was at 5 health and only had a Damaged Golem out D:

so hearthstone gaf i need your help:

I'm playing this deck at the moment for ranked matches, but i'm kinda stuck at rank 18/19.

Ve0HOwX.png

I'll try to get the card advantage with clerics at the beginning or I try to play my ancient watchers early so i can buff them later with taunt or silence them. Or I try to play pint sized early to get minions out.
This works.. sometimes, but not often enough.

Any help would be great!

I'm playing this deck at the moment for ranked matches, but i'm kinda stuck at rank 18/19.

I'll try to get the card advantage with clerics at the beginning or I try to play my ancient watchers early so i can buff them later with taunt or silence them. Or I try to play pint sized early to get minions out.

Any help would be great!

I'm not the greatest deck builder, but a few suggestions:
-Don't think you need Lord of the Arena. 5 health creature for 6 mana isn't very good. If you want the taunt swap it for a Sen'jin, if you want the attack choose a second Boulderfist Ogre. I'd recommend Sen'jin.

-Twilight Drake seems a bit greedy if you aren't purely playing for big card advantage in the early game. Plus you already have Injured Blademaster which combined with Circle of Healing offers pretty much the same thing. A second Blademaster or Chillwind Yeti is probably more consistent.

-You plan on using silence for the Ancient Watchers, and I think Spellbreaker might be too heavy for that combo. I'd use a second Owl, or maybe even the Silence spell card since it's 0 mana cost. Neither the Owl nor Spellbreaker will stick to the board that long anyway.

-Pint-Sized Summoner, Flesheating Ghoul, Divine Spirit, not really sure what purpose they serve in this deck. You don't run enough mid-range minions to make Summoner worth it. Ghoul can grow after a Holy Nova board clear but that's a very unlikely situation, and you don't have a way to make it grow from your end with minion trades. Divine Spirit isn't terrible but could be replaced by something else to make the deck more consistent. If you can afford them, Wild Pyromancer works great in this type of Priest build.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Any help would be great!

It's hard to build a deck with ancient watchers in them. You generally need a lot of ways to activate them so they end up defining your deck. I think 6 cards usually gets you the results you need, you only seem to have 4, one of which is spellbreaker which is a little too high on the mana cost. If you really want to use them, then swap the spellbreaker for another owl, and then add 2x Defender of Argus. Personally I'm not much of a fan of ancient watchers unless we're talking handlock. In all reality they're basically chillwind yetis who can rarely attack for 2 less mana. Unless you can activate them very early in the game they can be dead weight.

2x Circle of Healing can probably be taken out. You don't have Auchenai Soulpriest and you have 2x Holy Novas so they probably won't get used so much. Circle of Healing with Blademaster can be nice but you only have 1 of those.

Pint-sized Summoner is not a good card. Take it out. It gets killed by all sorts of 1/2/3 drops and because it's a 2/2 sometimes the opponent can take it for free.

Flesheating Ghoul isn't great either. As a priest you want a lot of cards that favor health over damage and ghoul isn't one of them.

Divine Spirit isn't a great card unless you have Lightspawns or Inner Fire in your deck. You have neither, so I'd recommend taking it out.

Lord of the Arena isn't great either. Again, as priest you want to favor health over damage. I see you also have Boulderfist Ogre. Generally as a priest I prefer Temple Enforcer in this slot.

Cards to consider: Wild Pyromancer, Thoughtsteal, Earthen Ring Farseer, Chillwind Yeti, Lightspawn, Darkscale Healer, Temple Enforcer.

Special C

I may have had the worst arena draft in history.

To put it in context I lost to a Warlock who drafted 3 corruptions, killed his own blood imp with a dread infernal when he had clear board control, traded a 4/3 to kill a 3/1, and missed lethal twice.

old

I've got 1600 dust and looking to craft a legendary. These are my choices:

Cenarius
Tirion Fordring
Al'Akir
Harrison Jones
Baron Geddon
Malygos

My thoughts are:

I think Tirion is the best but the Paladin class is one of the weakest. Baron is good but only in Control Warrior (he's the only card I'm missing from my CW deck). Harrison can win a game but only in very specific circumstances and only against certain classes which are beyond my control. Malygos is good for Rogue but I already have Leeroy for Miracle Rogue so it would be kinda redundant. Cenarius and Al'Akir are good and in good classes, but I already win well with those classes. I'm not sure how much improvement I would get from crafting one of those two.

ZealousD

Are those your only choices? Do you actually have every other good legendary? Alexstraza, Rag, Cairne, Sylvanas, Leeroy, Grommash, Jaraxxsus?

I mean it sounds like you might as well get Geddon to finish up CW.

old

Of the one's I'm missing those are the ones I'm thinking are the most useful. The only ones I'm missing are those listed and Cho, Millhouse, Gruul, ETC, Krush, Mukla, and Tink.

I guess I'm leaning towards Baron Geddon, Al'Akir, and Cenarius. BG completes my CW deck, but since it's already great its really just a marginal improvement. If the pros are running Al'Akir in their Shamman decks then that's probably where I'd go. My Druid class is complete except for Cenarius, but I just not sure how much he adds. I don't watch a lot of twitch so I'm not up to date on what the top players are running and those sites for netdecking can be weeks or months obsolete.

Ikkarus

Of the one's I'm missing those are the ones I'm thinking are the most useful. The only ones I'm missing are those listed and Cho, Millhouse, Gruul, ETC, Krush, Mukla, and Tink.

I guess I'm leaning towards Baron Geddon, Al'Akir, and Cenarius. BG completes my CW deck, but since it's already great its really just a marginal improvement. If the pros are running Al'Akir in their Shamman decks then that's probably where I'd go. My Druid class is complete except for Cenarius, but I just not sure how much he adds. I don't watch a lot of twitch so I'm not up to date on what the top players are running and those sites for netdecking can be weeks or months obsolete.

Baron Geddon is a must-have for a CW, it's great against Zoo and Shaman decks and is also a great lure for your opponent to use thier mass removal on it to make way for Alextrasa and Rag.

Harrison Jones is also a great pick, I've been using him in my CW and granted he doesn't get his effect off against Druid, Mage, Warlock (unless they play Jaraxxus) or Priest it is still a 5/4 on the field and those times you face a Shaman with Doomhammer or a Rogue with Assassin's Blade you'll be glad he's in your deck.

Raxus

I'd like to add that Harrison Jones is an excellent pick. He is in my control Warrior and I find him much stronger than Geddon. He is a 5/4 body, helps a ton against miracles and mirrors, less vulnerable, and won't blow up in your face as often.

I just got out of a match with a paladin where I drew 5 cards and it secured me the victory. So satisfying.

I can get behind Baron Geddon vs. Shaman but not really against zoo. The two times my Freeze Mage has beat Warrior, they both involved the warrior nullifying his hero power and me freezing Baron Geddon for multiple turns.

You beat zoo with cleave, brawl and war axe, not Baron Geddon. Harrison is a great "general" pick but there is SO much ramp druid around now.

ZealousD

Had a great run in the arena today. 8 and 9, with priest and rogue, respectively. Pretty much broke my last record of 6 wins. It's really nice to get so many rewards up at this stage.

Frenden

Banned
I know aggro is the fastest way to ladder, but I didn't want to play zoo. I didn't want to play Warlock murloc.

So, I made a Rogue Murloc/Pirate deck and have been having a blast. Just the locs and pirates that make sense plus Leeroy and a few Rogue spells.

The whole pirate+sea creatures has a swarthy kind of synergy to the theme of the thing too.

Ashodin

I know aggro is the fastest way to ladder, but I didn't want to play zoo. I didn't want to play Warlock murloc.

So, I made a Rogue Murloc/Pirate deck and have been having a blast. Just the locs and pirates that make sense plus Leeroy and a few Rogue spells.

The whole pirate+sea creatures has a swarthy kind of synergy to the theme of the thing too.

Post your decklist, I wanna try this!

Frenden

Banned
You could replace the parrot with any of the direct damage Rogue spells or a weapon, but I find it's fine for card draw and to cycle the deck. I'll get rid of it if I start losing a heap and go from there.

Dropping a near-free Dread Corsair followed up by a few combo-ing-murlocs feels diiiirty.

Violet_0

Banned
so after a disastrous paladin run my last four arena runs payed for themselves, yay

really loving Priest currently, I kinda wanna build a constructed deck now

I wanted to share this "budget" list that is going around. I got *completely* wrecked by it on my Freeze Mage twice earlier and have had some good success goofing around with it tonight.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/59054-aggro-ice-queen-legend

Arcane Missiles × 2
Ice Lance × 2
Mana Wyrm × 2
Mirror Image × 2
Frostbolt × 2
Sorcerer's Apprentice × 2
Arcane Intellect × 2
Fireball × 2
Water Elemental × 2

Neutral Cards

Leper Gnome × 2
Amani Berserker × 1
Bloodmage Thalnos × 1
Faerie Dragon × 1
Knife Juggler × 2
Coldlight Oracle × 1
Wolfrider × 2
Azure Drake × 2

The Thalnos is compeltely optional and a Loot Hoarder is actually very competitive with Thalnos in the deck. I think there's room for optimization of this list as well ( Mukla, a 2nd Coldlight). The huge bonus to a list like this is over Zoo is that you don't get worked over by Freeze Mage and Handlock, and people make disastrous mulligans against you.

aborath

Neo Member
I wanted to share this "budget" list that is going around. I got *completely* wrecked by it on my Freeze Mage twice earlier and have had some good success goofing around with it tonight.

Arcane Missiles × 2
Ice Lance × 2
Mana Wyrm × 2
Mirror Image × 2
Frostbolt × 2
Arcane Intellect × 2
Fireball × 2
Water Elemental × 2

Neutral Cards

Leper Gnome × 2
Amani Berserker × 1
Bloodmage Thalnos × 1
Faerie Dragon × 1
Knife Juggler × 2
Coldlight Oracle × 1
Wolfrider × 2
Azure Drake × 2

The Thalnos is compeltely optional and a Loot Hoarder is actually very competitive with Thalnos in the deck. I think there's room for optimization of this list as well ( Mukla, a 2nd Coldlight). The huge bonus to a list like this is over Zoo is that you don't get worked over by Freeze Mage and Handlock, and people make disastrous mulligans against you.

Have any suggestions for a good budget warrior deck?

Kosma

Banned
My Druid class is complete except for Cenarius, but I just not sure how much he adds. I don't watch a lot of twitch so I'm not up to date on what the top players are running and those sites for netdecking can be weeks or months obsolete.

Cenarius is pretty cool imho and he can def win some games.

When you on the defence the extra minions can really swing the game, and the buff can be amazing too.

Cenarius is pretty cool imho and he can def win some games.

When you on the defence the extra minions can really swing the game, and the buff can be amazing too.

I have Cenarius and having played with him a lot it feels like he could be replaced with someone like baron geddon or ragnaros and probably serve the same purpose of slowing the game down or giving you the win. His taunts will probably only save you for one turn so you better top deck something useful if you're hanging on for dear life. You can't really say he is more mana efficient for a kill than savage roar considering he gives the exact same +2 attack buff, but if there are two minions on deck that have decent health he can make them escape fireballs and flamestrikes easily. It's almost like he serves a mid range pupose but he will almost never come out during that time.

All that being said, I had 5 minions on the board today and slapped Cenarius down with the buff and got the insta quit, which was worth the price of admission.

Kosma

Banned
I have Cenarius and having played with him a lot it feels like he could be replaced with someone like baron geddon or ragnaros and probably serve the same purpose of slowing the game down or giving you the win. His taunts will probably only save you for one turn so you better top deck something useful if you're hanging on for dear life. You can't really say he is more mana efficient for a kill than savage roar considering he gives the exact same +2 attack buff, but if there are two minions on deck that have decent health he can make them escape fireballs and flamestrikes easily. It's almost like he serves a mid range pupose but he will almost never come out during that time.

All that being said, I had 5 minions on the board today and slapped Cenarius down with the buff and got the insta quit, which was worth the price of admission.

True he isn't the best card ever but he does feel good and right, plus I don't feel Geddon works so well for me with a druid because you might be low health already and he really isn't that meaty.

I run Rag already in Ramp together with Cenarius :)

Maybe Cenarius could be better if he just had 1/2 more attack as well.

Have any suggestions for a good budget warrior deck?

If you don't mind a beatdown/face aggro deck the "Worgen Freeman" is pretty decent and is two rares (Frothing Berserkers) and the rest class cards+commons.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/59805-worgen-freeman-easy-laddering-on-a-budget

The issue with budget control warrior is that really wants shield slams and a Gorehowl. I think you could honest replace a lot of the parts of the control deck's Legendary parade with Boulderfist Ogres and Sunwalkers and have a decent deck.

edit: Innervate is such a pernicious card. They should have given that effect to Shaman with a different name and made it have an overload cost.

Kosma

Banned
Frag, what do you think of Rag in Ramp druid?

I feel like he doesn't really work well for me, he doesn't have taunt and he can't attack on his own.

Edit: Cant beat Handlock with my druid arghrgh

ViviOggi

Arcane Missiles × 2
Ice Lance × 2
Mana Wyrm × 2
Mirror Image × 2
Frostbolt × 2
Arcane Intellect × 2
Fireball × 2
Water Elemental × 2

Neutral Cards

Leper Gnome × 2
Amani Berserker × 1
Bloodmage Thalnos × 1
Faerie Dragon × 1
Knife Juggler × 2
Coldlight Oracle × 1
Wolfrider × 2
Azure Drake × 2

I played this deck more since I mentioned it the other day and as far as I'm concerned it is the deck to grind Ranked with right now. Currently sitting at 72% win rate over ~40 games.

Frag, what do you think of Rag in Ramp druid?

If you have enough board control to make Ragnaros reliably useful, he's a good card because he ends games quick. BGH is everywhere right now and IMO the only "finisher" you need in ramp is Cenarius.

I played this deck more since I mentioned it the other day and as far as I'm concerned it is the deck to grind Ranked with right now. Currently sitting at 72% win rate over ~40 games.

It's really good. People mull for freeze mage and get run over.

ZealousD

rofl. Expert AI needs some work. It used Aldor Peacekeeper on my Flametongue Totem.

Kobold Geomancer is actually preferable to thalnos in tons of situations because it doesn't die to 1-damage hero powers and mortal coil and would possibly require a removal/minion trade for the opponent. If your deck already has a lot of card draw it might be better to run the kobold instead.

Frenden

Banned
The pirate murloc deck was definitely less reliable than zoo, but it was fun.

Now I'm running a control priest that started by taking all the cards that work in control warrior and putting them in first. Then filling out the ranks with some priest ass priest cards. Jumped four ranks without a loss this morning after.

I've been mopping up all these scummy leper gnome bullshit decks with priest.

There were even a few shaman decks running leper gnome. What is even happening.

TP17

I've been using arenamastery.com to track my arenas and after 25 runs I average 5.12 wins, not too bad. Hunter is my best class apparently but that's only after 3 arenas as them.

Funnily I have only come up against Warlocks 7 times and am yet to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom