• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Decided to invent another card!

bookRgo.png

W9xrKpI.png

ZZMitch

First time playing Priest in Arena here. I had a massive brainfart and played Darkscale Healer while I had Auchenai Soulpriest on the field. Pretty much mini Flamestriked myself against a Mage. Thankfully I had mostly big minions on the field but it was the worst play i have ever made in Hearthstone heh. Still won the match because I was pretty far ahead by that point though.

Currently up to 6 wins with the Priest run. I play priest a fair amount in constructed (not enough with Auchenai Soulpriest I guess though :p) and do pretty well with it. I was hesitant to use it in Arena though. It actually works pretty well with the trading/board control style of Arena I find, however. Definitely not the worst class to play like Hearthstats numbers suggest.

johnsmith

remember me
So it seems like everybody in arena has just given up on any type of board control and just goes for the face no matter what these days. I'm going to have to change my drafting style and start playing hunter if this continues.

Anustart

Well my previous best in arena was 3 wins. I'm 5-2 right now with a hunter. I ain't gonna lie, hunter has some good secrets.

Last win was against a shaman. Forget what card he had out, but it was 6-5, I played a sea giant that cost 1 mana, and the secret that puts attacker back in hand and increases cost by 2. He managed to stave off death for two more turns by getting out taunt totems both times.

zoukka

I've always liked hunter in arena. The only real way to ruin your draft is to pick beast synergy cards before you have enough beasts.

Switch to tempo rogue, and I stop playing zoos. Damn this game.

Tempo rogue just runs out of gas too fast vs. anything resilient. It's great against warlocks since you don't need to really worry about where that last 10 damage comes from, but against anything midrangey tempo rogue has problems closing out games.

It's not a bad deck and will definitely win some games just off its strong plays and the sheer power of SI:7 Agent paired with cheap disruption. The face rogue deck going around has a lot of the strengths of tempo rogue while being able to close out games more consistently, and you can always cheat in some backstabs into that build if you really care about the zoo matchup.

johnsmith

remember me
What aggro deck is this? I'm still tweaking my build, and I definitely noticed card draw is a problem. Gonna probably add some coldlight oracles to the deck to help with that. Thalnos would be good too but I'm waiting to have enough to craft a gold one.

Anustart

Alright!!!! I'm on a roll! 25 arena runs total now, 0 times given the option for mage, my main!

Edit: Which, according to my handy dandy calculator is 3.029440567724123e-13 % chance of happening!

Special C

First time playing Priest in Arena here. I had a massive brainfart and played Darkscale Healer while I had Auchenai Soulpriest on the field. Pretty much mini Flamestriked myself against a Mage. Thankfully I had mostly big minions on the field but it was the worst play i have ever made in Hearthstone heh. Still won the match because I was pretty far ahead by that point though.

Currently up to 6 wins with the Priest run. I play priest a fair amount in constructed (not enough with Auchenai Soulpriest I guess though :p) and do pretty well with it. I was hesitant to use it in Arena though. It actually works pretty well with the trading/board control style of Arena I find, however. Definitely not the worst class to play like Hearthstats numbers suggest.

I'm always excited to see a Priest early in an Arena run because its usually an easy win. I dread seeing them toward the end though, because Priest has a very high ceiling for a good arena deck. If a priest got to 5+ wins I know it's going to be really hard. If you get the right cards you can be very hard to beat.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I dunno man, hogger is close to my heart.

Dusting legs feels wrong :(

(note: this is from an f2p perspective, if you buy cards then whatever)

I had Hogger too. I always play with every leg I get to try to see the value. Even built a Nozdormu deck. But eventually you have to put your own enjoyment over random cards gathering dust (harhar) in your virtual collection. I dust anything I don't use.. from leg to uncommon. It's allowed me to make the decks I do want to play without sacrifices. I'm sure you'd see your druid deck level up tremendously if you put some key cards in.

To me a shit leg = a godlike epic. There's just no comparison.. especially if you run insanely expensive decks like pally/war/druid.

Warlocks, Warlocks, Warlocks .. 50% of the ranked games around Rank 3 EU are against warlocks.
Can't even mulligan correctly, because it's a crapshot guess to know if your opponent plays zoo or handlock.

Will most likely stay this way for the whole existence of the game until they balance that stupid hero abilty correctly.

Minsc

Gold Member
Warlocks, Warlocks, Warlocks .. 50% of the ranked games around Rank 3 EU are against warlocks.
Can't even mulligan correctly, because it's a crapshot guess to know if your opponent plays zoo or handlock.

Will most likely stay this way for the whole existence of the game until they balance that stupid hero abilty correctly.

Does UTH rush hunter beat zoo warlock? It sure beats handlock clean... that or maybe play freeze mage? That beats both too... I think you just need to play a deck that is strong against both kinds of warlocks if you face them so often, and for mulligans both rush hunter and more-so freeze mage just mulligan to win, not to battle a certain deck so you wouldn't need to worry about mulligans as much.

Kosma

Banned
(note: this is from an f2p perspective, if you buy cards then whatever)

I had Hogger too. I always play with every leg I get to try to see the value. Even built a Nozdormu deck. But eventually you have to put your own enjoyment over random cards gathering dust (harhar) in your virtual collection. I dust anything I don't use.. from leg to uncommon. It's allowed me to make the decks I do want to play without sacrifices. I'm sure you'd see your druid deck level up tremendously if you put some key cards in.

To me a shit leg = a godlike epic. There's just no comparison.. especially if you run insanely expensive decks like pally/war/druid.

I do buy cards, a bit every month :)

I DE'd Hogger and the Beast, and made some changes to my deck (see below) now Im flying up.

You are right, I shouldnt hold on to dead weight!

Thanks for the suggestins guys, didnt realize I was running some ancient version of ramp.

Xibdhh9.jpg

Birdman02

I just pulled a golden King Crush from a 100g pack. I was super excited because I thought I'd be able to finally craft Bloodmage Thalnos. Unfortunately, my 7 yr old walked into the room right when I opened it and shouted "I love that card!!!" Now I can't DE it...or can I?

Just for reference, he only plays practice matches against the AI on my account.

I do buy cards, a bit every month :)

I DE'd Hogger and the Beast, and made some changes to my deck (see below) now Im flying up.

You are right, I shouldnt hold on to dead weight!

Thanks for the suggestins guys, didnt realize I was running some ancient version of ramp.

FON+Savage Roar gives the deck such a powerful angle to close out games. Glad you're happy with your new build.

I just pulled a golden King Crush from a 100g pack. I was super excited because I thought I'd be able to finally craft Bloodmage Thalnos. Unfortunately, my 7 yr old walked into the room right when I opened it and shouted "I love that card!!!" Now I can't DE it...or can I?

Seems like a good time to give your seven year old a hands-on lesson in opportunity cost.

Violet_0

Banned
no Azure Drakes, though? You could need some card draw

Just for reference, he only plays practice matches against the AI on my account.

it's actually impossible to disenchant a golden King Crush

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Holding on to shit cards seems silly now, right? Not that Hogger is even shit.. but look at how your deck performs now. If you buy cards then you can always just fill up your dust reserves and make what you want, but if you don't, having a collectionist mentality is not productive - if you play the game for the competition that is.

Don't worry about "dirty." There are plenty of one turn combos in the game.

Birdman - The Thalnos is worth it.

I never noticed how cool gold assassinate looks. And gold sprint.

I need more gold cards. My plan to get gold yeti months ago has gone nowhere though lol. I find warrior pretty boring.

But I am getting gold neutrals from druid... but none I'll ever play sorta like rogue.

I haven't shared my deck in a while, this is what I am currently messing around with. Back to rogue this season. I love the look of this curve too. :)

Second_Piece.png

I think of it as a flexible midrange deck. It is capable of going strong early with cold blood and argent squire, defias ringleader, or harvest golem.

Once midrange you have good ole reliable yetis, dark iron dwarfs to help your squires, defias rogues, or harvest golem trade up. Along with backstab and deadly poison, most midrange minions die off pretty easily, keeping minions going for face.

Cairne, ragnaros, and sprint for longer matches.

Still not finalized.

Couple close calls for cards:
sap - Compared to assassinate, sap is a better tempo card in some situations and definitely better for achieve lethal. But I feel like I have enough tempo cards in the deck.

leeroy jenkins - Obvious reasons, this card has the best damage per mana charge in the entire game. But I don't really have any wombo combos built in and cold blood has more damage per mana than even leeroy does (leeroy 1.5 compared to cold blood's 4x!). Could still make a reappearance.

black knight - Great tempo card, but black knight hasn't been treating me well lately. If I run into many druids I'll replace cairne.

defender of argus - I like the card, I think it is still strong. But I am tired of it and dark iron dwarf, unlike DOA, I feel like is worth playing on its own. DOA was great when hunters were plentiful, and it is still good vs miracle rogue, but having a low curve seems like I should have a good enough winrate vs miracle anyway. We'll see.

Big game hunter - Not sure if this card is worth it for handlocks, to make most other match ups worse.

I'm an expert

I'd probably drop a Cold Blood and Defias just to fill out your 5+ curve a bit. Probably another Drake and maybe a Blade Flurry to make use of that Assassin's better.

TimeKillr

So I have a question, guys.

I hit 3k dust today.. I figure it's time to craft some stuff.

I figure I'm due for either a new legendary or some epics I'm missing.

Legendaries I have:
Rag
Ysera
Sylvanas
Black Knight
Cairne
Tirion Fordring
Van Cleef
Captain Greenskin
Leeroy

So here's what I'm considering making -
Bloodmage Thalnos - pretty good in a ton of decks
Alexstraza - Good for otter pops type of deck and a new piece of Warrior control
Cenarius - Great in Ramp Druid (that I currently run, but missing some pieces)
BGH - I have none. Would be good in a lot of situations.
Giants - I have one Mountain Giant, and that's it. Would be great for Handlock and some other interesting decks.
Prep - I have none, making Miracle Rogue really shitty
Ancient of Lore - Again, having none of these makes ramp/control Druid not as good
Ancient of War - None of these. Much better than Ironbarks due to the fact that they're immune to BGH
Force of Nature - Good stuff there all around, I have none

I'm just completely unsure of what to do. I'm sort of edging towards getting Thalnos because he's neutral, as well as at least a single BGH since it's neutral also and quite good in a lot of situations.

What do you guys think?

So I have a question, guys.

I hit 3k dust today.. I figure it's time to craft some stuff.

I figure I'm due for either a new legendary or some epics I'm missing.

Legendaries I have:
Rag
Ysera
Sylvanas
Black Knight
Cairne
Tirion Fordring
Van Cleef
Captain Greenskin
Leeroy

So here's what I'm considering making -
Bloodmage Thalnos - pretty good in a ton of decks
Alexstraza - Good for otter pops type of deck and a new piece of Warrior control
Cenarius - Great in Ramp Druid (that I currently run, but missing some pieces)
BGH - I have none. Would be good in a lot of situations.
Giants - I have one Mountain Giant, and that's it. Would be great for Handlock and some other interesting decks.
Prep - I have none, making Miracle Rogue really shitty
Ancient of Lore - Again, having none of these makes ramp/control Druid not as good
Ancient of War - None of these. Much better than Ironbarks due to the fact that they're immune to BGH
Force of Nature - Good stuff there all around, I have none

I'm just completely unsure of what to do. I'm sort of edging towards getting Thalnos because he's neutral, as well as at least a single BGH since it's neutral also and quite good in a lot of situations.

What do you guys think?

Maybe it would be best to grab Cenarius and fill out the rest with epics.Giants tend to be pretty garbage for druids so if druid is your main probably cant recommend that.

2 x ancient of war, 1 x ancient of lore, 1 x force of nature, 1 x cen would run you 3200, im sure you can squeeze out another 200 elsewhere. In my ramp this is what I use (although some people prefer having 2 lores and only 1 ancient thats not something i'm comfortable with.) You could always grab a BGH if you wanted in exchange for an ancient of war as well. Thalnos can be replaced by a kobold, its hard to find a replacement for something like alex if that makes sense. Go high and work your way down.

Violet_0

Banned
give us the release date and prices for Naxx already, Blizz. I have very little motivation to play the game currently aside from the dailies

Heel

give us the release date and prices for Naxx already, Blizz. I have very little motivation to play the game currently aside from the dailies

Haha, yeah. Just saving gold from dailies and buying a pack every once in a while in a moment of weakness. Hovering around 1500 right now. Would be nice to know how much gold I need to work towards.

Violet_0

Banned
Haha, yeah. Just saving gold from dailies and buying a pack every once in a while in a moment of weakness. Hovering around 1500 right now. Would be nice to know how much gold I need to work towards.

I had 1700 gold saved up for Naxx and then spent it all on useless packs and a couple of successful arena runs. Back to 800g now, heh

with the first wing being free and only one wing being released each week, getting the required gold shouldn't be much of a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom