• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I can see and respect this stance, but I've personally spent about $90 on the game so far. A lot of the time, it's just my impatience that motivates a purchase; like, when I have 1,400 dust and want to craft a legendary, I just buy my way to it. That way I can play around with it right then and try out some new deck combinations.

Other times, I just realize that I'm having a lot of fun with the game and want to reward Blizz.

Honestly, I've gotten more entertainment from that $90 than I have with probably 90% of my 1,200+ Steam library.

The patience thing I guess is the main issue (the other idea of giving money when I don't have to doesn't jive with me). For me, when I'm in your situation, I just wait a day for a quest and hope I get an epic or two. Or the usual way I did it was save for a few days then buy a few packs at once. There's definitely no rush since the card pool is so limited. Either way I wasn't trying to say f2p or p2p was better, just that I think my enjoyment of the game is actually artificially lengthened because I do have to work a bit more for my cards.

daemissary

I haven't spent any money so my only really competitive decks are Zoolock and Ice Mage and I'm starting to get a little burnt out on constructed. Most of the other decks require so much dust that they seem completely unattainable...and this is after I've opened probably close to 100 packs through arena.

Arena is still fun though since you don't run up against decks with a handful of legendaries consistently there. New expansions can't come soon enough though, I hope enough people are throwing money at the game where Blizzard makes it a priority.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I haven't spent any money so my only really competitive decks are Zoolock and Ice Mage and I'm starting to get a little burnt out on constructed. Most of the other decks require so much dust that they seem completely unattainable...and this is after I've opened probably close to 100 packs through arena.

Arena is still fun though since you don't run up against decks with a handful of legendaries consistently there. New expansions can't come soon enough though, I hope enough people are throwing money at the game where Blizzard makes it a priority.

What legendaries have you pulled?

daemissary

What legendaries have you pulled?

Leeroy, Cairne, Deathwing and Grommash. So overall not bad on the legendaries...I've actually had worse luck with epics. I just pulled my first Faceless which is nice but I have virtually none of the good class specific epics. No Brawl or Shield Slam for Warrior, no Prep for Rogue, and none of the 3 amazing epics for Druid. But somehow I have 3 Gladiators Longbows and 3 Kidnappers...

Seronei

Holy shit, I think I'm building a constructed warrior here...
xz4x1NF.jpg

Should probably have chosen Cairne over Grommash but who could resist picking him.

I'm an expert

Leeroy, Cairne, Deathwing and Grommash. So overall not bad on the legendaries...I've actually had worse luck with epics. I just pulled my first Faceless which is nice but I have virtually none of the good class specific epics. No Brawl or Shield Slam for Warrior, no Prep for Rogue, and none of the 3 amazing epics for Druid. But somehow I have 3 Gladiators Longbows and 3 Kidnappers...

Yeah but that stuff is cheap in the grand scheme. I had to make my slams and brawls too lol. Still have never pulled one. But your 3 longbows and nappers are your fuel to making those cards..tell me you dusted then. I've gotten lucky with gold cards too. Gold epix get dusted immediately. Cha ching.

Ikkarus

Holy shit, I think I'm building a constructed warrior here...

Should probably have chosen Cairne over Grommash but who could resist picking him.
3 Legendaries in arena?!

As for Grommash, I would have a hard time not picking him either. Good luck with your run.

I'm currently 4-1 in my run with Rogue.

daemissary

Yeah but that stuff is cheap in the grand scheme. I had to make my slams and brawls too lol. Still have never pulled one. But your 3 longbows and nappers are your fuel to making those cards..tell me you dusted then. I've gotten lucky with gold cards too. Gold epix get dusted immediately. Cha ching.

I'm a hoarder, as of now I have dusted zero cards except for my extra UTH which I dusted when they were nerfed to get full value. I'll end up dusting them when I'm in striking distance of being able to make a deck I want but I'm so far away now that there's no point.

I'm an expert

I'm a hoarder, as of now I have dusted zero cards except for my extra UTH which I dusted when they were nerfed to get full value. I'll end up dusting them when I'm in striking distance of being able to make a deck I want but I'm so far away now that there's no point.

Dude.. as a fellow f2p player.. dust... everything....

nao

Agraavan

I'm kind in the same situation. Constructed isn't doing it for me because I can't shake the feeling I'm facing people who spent a lot of money into the game and my decks are basically the Soulbound cards. For that reason I tend to avoid Ranked, but I can't understand for the life of me (actually I do) why people which such good decks keep on playing Casual. Right now I faced a Druid who had nothing but Legendaries and Alarm-o-Bots.

Arena, on the other hand, keep everyone on the same level, with only the knowledge on the cards ands combos making people stick out. I just wish I didn't have to farm constructed in order to enter arena.

I'm an expert

I play casual all the time for quests. Casual doesn't mean "noobs only" it means "expect anything." Also, don't equate cards to money. As many of us prove here, it is possible to have one, two, or more complete decks without spending a dime.

daemissary

I'm kind in the same situation. Constructed isn't doing it for me because I can't shake the feeling I'm facing people who spent a lot of money into the game and my decks are basically the Soulbound cards. For that reason I tend to avoid Ranked, but I can't understand for the life of me (actually I do) why people which such good decks keep on playing Casual. Right now I faced a Druid who had nothing but Legendaries and Alarm-o-Bots.

Arena, on the other hand, keep everyone on the same level, with only the knowledge on the cards ands combos making people stick out. I just wish I didn't have to farm constructed in order to enter arena.

You actually might be better off in Ranked. I think you have a better chance of matching up with people around your skill level, at least this late in the season.

I don't have a huge issue with the people that have tons of legendaries in their deck...I'm more frustrated with the predictability of constructed. At this point, we've been playing with the same cards for so long that most of the decks have been optimized to the point that almost everyone is playing the same exact version of each deck. I feel like Zoo actually has the most variation in deck builds, every Miracle Rogue, Handlock, ramp Druid are virtually identical. At least where I am now around rank 6.

Dude.. as a fellow f2p player.. dust... everything....

nao

We've disagreed with this in the past, and I continue to disagree. Maybe dust some total garbage cards if you're close to getting another vital card. But for the most part, I'd refrain from throwing dust out the window.

That deck would suck, and the guy was just screwing around. If you lost to that, it has nothing to do with the game being "Pay to Win."

If anything, that deck would be "Pray to Win," hahaha!

I'm an expert

We've disagreed with this in the past, and I continue to disagree. Maybe dust some total garbage cards if you're close to getting another vital card. But for the most part, I'd refrain from throwing dust out the window.

I don't remember user names here. If I told you to dust stuff before and you told me to fuck off before, apologies.

Though I'm not sure what you mean by throwing dust out the window. You're throwing garbage out the window and in return useable dust is sprinkling in.

I don't remember user names here. If I told you to dust stuff before and you told me to fuck off before, apologies.

Though I'm not sure what you mean by throwing dust out the window. You're throwing garbage out the window and in return useable dust is sprinkling in.

Bottom line: only dust stuff if you will use the dust eight away. Otherwise, save the cards in case they're modified later and their dust value increases during the grace period post-changes.

I'm an expert

Ah.. that.. yeah I dunno I can't really get behind that just from a practical standpoint. I have no idea what Blizz will and won't nerf in the future. I am not going to hold onto my Nozdormu thinking they'll see the light lol. I'd rather turn him into an epic. Sure, I guess we can make educated guesses like Leeroy..? Prep..? Auctioneer..? I just feel like if I want to make a deck right now, I'll make the deck now. If one day I want Nozdormu back, I'll just make him.

It was just he was saying "I wish I could play these decks" and me simply saying "technically, you can."

Eric WK

Uh, that's his point. If you're going to use the dust immediately, it often makes sense to d/e a card. If you're not going to use the dust immediately, there is simply no reason not to wait.

Agraavan

I play casual all the time for quests. Casual doesn't mean "noobs only" it means "expect anything." Also, don't equate cards to money. As many of us prove here, it is possible to have one, two, or more complete decks without spending a dime.
I know what it mean, as I said, I do understand the appeal to play Casual even if you have a nice deck and all. And by all means, I never said it is a P2W. Even if the players I'm facing got all of their cards just by playing, it just mean that they are playing a lot more than I am :p

In arena, at least, it doesn't matter if the adversary just started or is playing since the beta, the only think that will set us apart is the luck of our draw and the knowledge of the card combinations.

As far as "complete decks" without spending a dime... well, either you play a lot or you make those cheap zoo/agro decks. Either way I'm fine, all decks are legits, I'm just kind of frustrated that I'm stuck with all the basics cards and keep facing decks that are worth a ton (and because of that pretty powerful.

You actually might be better off in Ranked. I think you have a better chance of matching up with people around your skill level, at least this late in the season.

I don't have a huge issue with the people that have tons of legendaries in their deck...I'm more frustrated with the predictability of constructed. At this point, we've been playing with the same cards for so long that most of the decks have been optimized to the point that almost everyone is playing the same exact version of each deck. I feel like Zoo actually has the most variation in deck builds, every Miracle Rogue, Handlock, ramp Druid are virtually identical. At least where I am now around rank 6.
May be. I'll give it a try. But the fact is that I enjoy Arena much more than Constructed, anyway.

I'm an expert

Well, yes, I'm not saying disenchant your cards and sit on the dust. I'm saying disenchant your cards and make a more enjoyable deck to play with now if the game isn't currently enjoyable. If he's saying he doesn't have enough cards to make anything worthwhile, that's kind of strange. I was able to make my first legendary after about 3 weeks of play just from dusting. He says he's opened at least 100 packs, surely he has enough stuff to help out some of his decks. Maybe not craft a super expensive deck, but you can't just not play a deck if you don't have every single card. My war control started with one legend - Ysera - and that alone swung the deck from "meh" to "wow."

I know what it mean, as I said, I do understand the appeal to play Casual even if you have a nice deck and all. And by all means, I never said it is a P2W. Even if the players I'm facing got all of their cards just by playing, it just mean that they are playing a lot more than I am :p

In arena, at least, it doesn't matter if the adversary just started or is playing since the beta, the only think that will set us apart is the luck of our draw and the knowledge of the card combinations.

As far as "complete decks" without spending a dime... well, either you play a lot or you make those cheap zoo/agro decks. Either way I'm fine, all decks are legits, I'm just kind of frustrated that I'm stuck with all the basics cards and keep facing decks that are worth a ton (and because of that pretty powerful.

May be. I'll give it a try. But the fact is that I enjoy Arena much more than Constructed, anyway.

I've taken a few week-long breaks here and there due to work, but in general I get in about 1-2 hours a day. So multiply that by like.. 150 days? That lets me play about 4 of the 9 classes' netdecks. And if I wanted to try out another deck I feel I have enough cards to dust to make it possible. I don't really count zoo as a deck since any player can make it.

I dunno how you guys talk about going up against legends and shit in constructed but love arena. Arena is a mode where you can face someone with 5 fireballs or 4 fire elementals in their deck. It is 100% more unfair and reliant on rng than constructed. It's a great mode, I just don't see how it's some how a breath of fresh air to a mode where you know you can't face more than 2 of a card.

Water

I dunno how you guys talk about going up against legends and shit in constructed but love arena. Arena is a mode where you can face someone with 5 fireballs or 4 fire elementals in their deck. It is 100% more unfair and reliant on rng than constructed. It's a great mode, I just don't see how it's some how a breath of fresh air to a mode where you know you can't face more than 2 of a card.
Is RNG in arena frustrating? Absolutely. But at least there it's just a matter of skill and luck. I'm never getting beaten in arena because someone has sat their ass in front of a computer longer than I have, or thrown more money at Blizzard, which I find to be largely equivalent and equally frustrating reasons to lose. The unfairness in constructed is permanent and pervasive, whereas arena only has momentary luck. Next round of Arena it may be my turn to have godly luck; next round in constructed I will still not have legendaries or epix in my deck and will still get beaten on by people who do.

Avinexus

Is RNG in arena frustrating? Absolutely. But at least there it's just a matter of skill and luck. I'm never getting beaten in arena because someone has sat their ass in front of a computer longer than I have, or thrown more money at Blizzard, which I find to be largely equivalent and equally frustrating reasons to lose. The unfairness in constructed is permanent and pervasive, whereas arena only has momentary luck. Next round of Arena it may be my turn to have godly luck; next round in constructed I will still not have legendaries or epix in my deck and will still get beaten on by people who do.

Plenty of people have shown you can get to legendary with a F2P deck that includes basically no epics or legendaries.

daemissary

There are some extreme RNG cases in Arena but generally I find it to be more entertaining because you get to play with and find random combos with cards that aren't normally playable and you also need to be prepared for your opponents to play literally anything.

In constructed, every match you basically know exactly what cards are in your opponents deck so after playing that matchup 100 times...it gets to be predictable and boring.

All of this will be fixed once the environment is infused with new cards but they are going to need to speed up the release schedule or people will probably start to burn out.

ACE 1991

Just got a shiny new Hellscream. Are there any good warrior decks out there that I can build with it that don't require a ton of other epics or legendaries?

I'm an expert

I don't understand what's different between you sitting your ass in front of a computer and someone else sitting their ass in front of a computer. This is a competitive game. Like anything competitive, skill requires time. If you're just expecting to show up and play a game and have the same chance as anyone else.. well.. no. That's not how anything in life works.

I'm not calling you specifically out, but this is a sentiment I see a lot here. Even on this page there's stuff like:
Even if the players I'm facing got all of their cards just by playing, it just mean that they are playing a lot more than I am

Well, yes, some people play more than you. Why wouldn't they have an obvious advantage? There's nothing unfair about the guy who hits the gym more than you, or reads more books on a subject than you.. if you don't want to be small, if you don't want to be left out of a conversation, if you don't want to lose at a game, put more time into it.

Arena definitely takes skill. Look at a player like Kripp who has played thousands of arena games and has an insane win rate. If you go against him in arena are you really just going to rely on luck? More than likely he's going to trounce you because of his skill. But even his skill can lose to 5 fireballs. I don't know.. I don't feel that amazing about beating a player like that lol. I also don't want to be on the receiving end either. Just my personal view on the mode.

I much rather like knowing what deck he has and how to play around it. Like a puzzle. Have you ever watched Reynad stream? He almost always correctly predicts the next player's cards and moves and reacts in advance. It's insane to see how many different situations he can predict, and even how an unlikely play doesn't throw him. In arena though, you can play your best but flamestrike->flamestrike->blizzard->flamestrike is like..well.. yeah.....

Anyway, I typed/edited too much. I didn't mean this to be arena vs constructed. Just that I don't get the "ugh legendaries" thing when it can be "ugh 4 yetis" just as easily.

Actually a better example is you're playing mage, your opponent is playing mage, and he has fireballs/elementals/Antonidas while you didn't pull any of those cards in your draft. GG?

Quixzlizx

Can someone explain to me how to play zoolock? I feel like it shouldn't be complicated, but I have like an 80-90% win rate across ranked and casual with my custom no-legendary/one-epic mage deck, and a 20-30% winrate with a zoolock deck in casual. I only have this stupid thing to help finish daily quests, lol.

Thanks!
\/\/

I'm an expert

Water

I don't understand what's different between you sitting your ass in front of a computer and someone else sitting their ass in front of a computer. This is a competitive game. Like anything competitive, skill requires time. If you're just expecting to show up and play a game and have the same chance as anyone else.. well.. no. That's not how anything in life works.
What are you smoking? If we play a mirror match with similar decks, and you have a Knife Juggler where I have Bloodfen Raptor, and an Argent Commander and a Leeroy where I have two Reckless Rocketeers, that is not "skill" and has nothing at all to do with "skill". Instead, that is a direct result of you having sat your ass at the computer longer or having paid Blizzard for packs, and therefore having better cards. This kind of unfairness, aka grind-to-win or pay-to-win, is a really shitty characteristic to exist in a supposedly competetive game. I have played HS regardless since it has the Arena subgame that is not pay-to-win, and I can see on the horizon the possibility of eventually building some decent decks - but had they shipped this game without Arena, I would never have touched it with a stick, which is precisely what I do with every other pay-to-win game.

I'm an expert

I don't know man.. it's a card game.. getting cards is kind of the point. When you heard about Hearthstone you were praying it would fill the random draft pvp void in your gaming library? Why would you complain about not having cards instead of getting the cards? Grind to win? I'm playing to win.. I'm enjoying the game to win.. the cards come by themselves.

You can get a juggler and Leeroy just the same as anyone. In arena, that's not true. I get what you're saying, arena requires a different skill to make shit happen from less likely hands. But running into someone who had 3 legendaries in their draft when you had none (and you can't make your own or draw your own legendaries) is some how less unfair? And technically, they charge for arena too! Some people out there pay $2 to draw shit decks.. but that doesn't upset you?

Minsc

Gold Member
What are you smoking? If we play a mirror match with similar decks, and you have a Knife Juggler where I have Bloodfen Raptor, and an Argent Commander and a Leeroy where I have two Reckless Rocketeers, that is not "skill" and has nothing at all to do with "skill". Instead, that is a direct result of you having sat your ass at the computer longer or having paid Blizzard for packs, and therefore having better cards. This kind of unfairness, aka grind-to-win or pay-to-win, is a really shitty characteristic to exist in a supposedly competetive game. I have played HS regardless since it has the Arena subgame that is not pay-to-win, and I can see on the horizon the possibility of eventually building some decent decks - but had they shipped this game without Arena, I would never have touched it with a stick, which is precisely what I do with every other pay-to-win game.

It's not really pay 2 win... if it were pay 2 win, it would have cards you could only obtain from purchasing packs with real money. Like they could make expert packs only contain commons, rares and epics, and that's it. Then have legendary packs that can only be bought with real money ($2 a pack), and those have a small chance of getting a legendary, and that's the only way you can get them... not even craft them. That's Pay2Win.

Better example would be I have the KJ, and you have the Bloodfen and Beastmaster, now which is the better 3/2... granted KJ is still really good, but the Bloodfen is now a 5/4, or you can cast a spell to make the Bloodfen (beasts) immune, and run it in to the KJ... beast is actually a positive aspect of the card you're overlooking. Likewise you could have a Bloodfen and use that direct damage hunter spell that hits for 5, while having a KJ would only let you hit for 3.

Violet_0

Banned
I'm in Miracle Rogue/Zoolock/Miracle Rogue/Zoolock/Miracle Rogue hell

e: can we please just fucking remove the 20 damage leeroy combo

Water

I don't know man.. it's a card game.. getting cards is kind of the point. When you heard about Hearthstone you were praying it would fill the random draft pvp void in your gaming library? Why would you complain about not having cards instead of getting the cards? Grind to win? I'm playing to win.. I'm enjoying the game to win.. the cards come by themselves.
If you don't have all the cards you'd like to have in your deck, then you are losing matches to worse players who have card advantage. Likewise, as long as your opponents do not have all their cards, you are winning against players better than yourself. You may not have any problem with that, but for me seeing either situation occur or knowing they are probably occurring takes away from the fun.
You can get a juggler and Leeroy just the same as anyone.
Yes - by grinding for a very, very long time or by paying money.
In arena, that's not true. I get what you're saying, arena requires a different skill to make shit happen from less likely hands. But running into someone who had 3 legendaries in their draft when you had none (and you can't make your own or draw your own legendaries) is some how less unfair?
Absolutely. That's just randomness, not pervasive unfairness, not a result of grind-to-win or a result of pay-to-win.
And technically, they charge for arena too! Some people out there pay $2 to draw shit decks.. but that doesn't upset you?
Why on earth would I care whether the opponent bought into the arena with dollars or gold? They get no advantage against me either way, unlike in constructed where spending $$$ = direct advantage through better cards until the player has all the cards they need.

I'm an expert

People beat netdecks with basic expert decks all the time.. I've done it myself many, many times. People have gotten to legendary with them many, many times.

And my juggler nor Leeroy took a long time of grinding. I played the game the way I normally would. If I wanted to I could have made Leeroy in a few weeks after playing. How is that not reasonable for a completely free game?

Randomness exists in constructed too. People sometimes don't draw any of their legendaries or "good" cards. It's the exact same as arena, which was my point all along. Arena is just as dumb/unfair/whatever as constructed.

edit: I just hit 1000 wins.. so yeah, about 5 and a half months

johnsmith

remember me
If you want all the cards available to you for free right away without spending real money or lots of time go play something else. This game is obviously not for you.

Personally I hit legend after 2 months of playing spending minimal amounts. I probably spent about $6 on a couple of arena runs when I hit legend, and none of those runs made any difference in being able to craft my zoo deck, since that's composed of just commons and rares.

Water

People beat netdecks with basic expert decks all the time.. I've done it myself many, many times. People have gotten to legendary with them many, many times.
That's nice. And it's supposed to prove what exactly?
And my juggler nor Leeroy took a long time of grinding. I played the game the way I normally would. If I wanted to I could have made Leeroy in a few weeks after playing. How is that not reasonable for a completely free game?
I never said it's not reasonable. I said constructed play up to a certain point is pay-to-win, grind-to-win or both - player's choice - which is exactly the way I expect a F2P game to shit on any semblance of fair competition. At $0 that's reasonable. Just a bit disappointing.
Randomness exists in constructed too. People sometimes don't draw any of their legendaries or "good" cards. It's the exact same as arena, which was my point all along. Arena is just as dumb/unfair/whatever as constructed.
I never said that constructed has no randomness, so you are arguing against a strawman. Anyway, you are wrong; arena only has randomness and skill, whereas constructed has randomness, skill, pay-to-win and grind-to-win. Only one of these is fair competition.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Also, I don't see why a card that reduces a minions hp to 1 costs 0 mana :/

Because you need to expend another card in order to kill the minion. So it's often a 2-for-1 card disadvantage for the hunter. You can't think of cards just in terms of their mana cost. If your opponent has to expend 2 cards in order to remove your 1 card, then you generally got good value out of that card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom