• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
I just started playing this on Monday and it's taken over my life. So addicting. Fortunately I've resisted spending any money so far.

Interfectum

I love playing in the higher ranks with a Hunter. No one wants to put any minions on the board until they have like 6-7 mana. And sometimes we barely have a battle and they simply quit out. People hate playing against Hunter it seems.

Aylinato

I love playing in the higher ranks with a Hunter. No one wants to put any minions on the board until they have like 6-7 mana. And sometimes we barely have a battle and they simply quit out. People hate playing against Hunter it seems.

I love been Druid against hunter. Big minions, so no need for more than 1

Interfectum

I love been Druid against hunter. Big minions, so no need for more than 1

I had a druid do that to me. Can't remember the cards but we were at a stand still until he had enough mana to super charge a minion to unbelievable strength. I had no removal and a horrid hand. I'm sure it was satisfying as hell for him to pummel me into the ground haha.

Aylinato

I had a druid do that to me. Can't remember the cards but we were at a stand still until he had enough mana to super charge a minion to unbelievable strength. I had no removal and a horrid hand. I'm sure it was satisfying as hell for him to pummel me into the ground haha.
My Druid deck that I raged on and deleted had a ton of high end minions. Well I was facing this hunter who hard removed every creature and at the last card I had I played an ancient of war and gave it 10/5. The dude just raged out of the game lol

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Um, that's the whole point of Stealth, so...

I thought BGH wasn't a target ability - I'm not used to the terminology in Hearthstone coming from Magic where "target" is specified.

You say this because the stealthed creature isn't on your side. That 0/1 stealth mob that gives a point of life to a random ally minion always pisses me off when the opponent drops it.

No, I say this because I'm used to Magic terminology and was thinking BGH wasn't a target ability. However, that 0/1 stealth mob is very annoying too. It would have been better if the board recognized that there was a creature with an attack greater than or equal to 7 and allowed me to try to target it (but would say that it can't be targeted because it was stealthed) rather than just having my creature come down like there wasn't a creature with 7 or more attack on the field at all. I could have then played around it without wasting the resources for nothing.

Regardless, it wasn't just me - after I realized that BGH didn't destroy that 7/5 stealthed creature, I asked some people who played Hearthstone more than me whether it should or not and they honestly didn't know if it would. The terminology just seems unclear.

I was 1 win away from rank 9, then I almost dropped back down to rank 11 with a terrible loss streak. Loooooove my current incarnation of Pally. I tossed my knife jugglers for Oozes though which made me sad... running into a lot of control warriors. Also had a PERFECT hand against a fellow pally, I had perfect counters in my hand for everything he played. I love games that just come together like that.

Side note: I wish more warlocks played Handlock, gotten really good at countering them... I've got less than a 50% winrate against rush warlocks, but about 50% for hunter rush, so that's good at least.

It's hard to describe the satisfaction when a Paladin gets you down to 6 health relatively early in the game and begins spamming Well Played, and then you completely turn the game around and eke out a win.

ShinNL

I thought BGH wasn't a target ability - I'm not used to the terminology in Hearthstone coming from Magic where "target" is specified.

No, I say this because I'm used to Magic terminology and was thinking BGH wasn't a target ability. However, that 0/1 stealth mob is very annoying too. It would have been better if the board recognized that there was a creature with an attack greater than or equal to 7 and allowed me to try to target it (but would say that it can't be targeted because it was stealthed) rather than just having my creature come down like there wasn't a creature with 7 or more attack on the field at all. I could have then played around it without wasting the resources for nothing.

Regardless, it wasn't just me - after I realized that BGH didn't destroy that 7/5 stealthed creature, I asked some people who played Hearthstone more than me whether it should or not and they honestly didn't know if it would. The terminology just seems unclear.
Actually... do you play on Europe perhaps? I remember not too long ago someone tried the same thing: trying to kill my stealth with BGH. Not sure if it was the Ravenholdt though.

scy

Essentially, "target" is assumed unless it says otherwise. It's consistent on that across the board so there shouldn't be any non-keyword exceptions.

Shrennin

Actually... do you play on Europe perhaps?

Nope. NA.

Essentially, "target" is assumed unless it says otherwise. It's consistent on that across the board so there shouldn't be any non-keyword exceptions.

I know that now; I was just explaining why I thought BGH would destroy the stealthed creature - I was used to Magic terminology and how everything is described, nothing is really left for interpretation (in regards to game descriptors for mechanics). Also, other people I spoke to seemed to have no clue if it would destroy it or not (I didn't say if it did or not just to get an idea of what they thought).

Phreaker

I just started playing this on Monday and it's taken over my life. So addicting. Fortunately I've resisted spending any money so far.

Welcome! :) I have played it more hours since Nov then all my next-gen games combined. I love it, and just got a group of people at work playing and I'm running our tournament. They are all addicted now too.

Interfectum

Welcome! :) I have played it more hours since Nov then all my next-gen games combined. I love it, and just got a group of people at work playing and I'm running our tournament. They are all addicted now too.

Between this and Diablo 3 loot patch my Battle.net account has been used more in the past couple months than the PS4 since launch. I hadn't logged into Bnet for so long before Hearthstone it took forever to get my account up and running (no bnet client, lost authenticator, etc). haha

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

no problem.

stealth = "a minion ability which prevents that minion from being the target of enemy attacks, spells and effects until they attack or deal damage."

If whatever you are doing or trying to accomplish requires you to click on the enemy minion to enact, it won't work. Keys here are "enemy" and "target". Enemy, because these rules ONLY apply to enemy minions that are stealthed. You can freely target your own stealthed minions without issue. Target, because anything that doesn't require targeting can still affect the stealthed minions. AOE abilities, "deals 3 random damage", "cause random minion to x", etc.

And as one additional note, nothing anyone/anything does breaks stealth EXCEPT for the minion either attacking or causing damage. That second part is important because if the minion has an ability that causes damage (Knife Juggler), stealth will break as soon as that ability is used even if the minion doesn't attack. Likewise if the stealthed minion attacks a divine shield, even though no damage is caused to the enemy, the minion still attacked and thus loses stealth.

Pretty straight forward IMHO. The ONLY not-so-straightforward exception to any of this is Taunt. This is an exceptional condition in the game and handled with the stealth temporarily "eliminating" the taunt. The taunt won't apply to the enemy until/unless stealth is broken.

edit - yeah, as scy said.. "target" in HS means basically any time you have to click on something. If I play a spell that says "remove a minion", I won't be able to remove that stealthed (or whatever) minion because, well, I actually have to click on it to select it. However if I play a spell that says "remove a random minion", that stealthed (or whatever) minion COULD possibly be removed because the spell isn't a targeting spell.

target = play spell, then choose who/what gets the spell applied to it (the target), then stuff happens
non-targeting = play spell, stuff happens

Interfectum

The ONLY not-so-straightforward exception to any of this is Taunt. This is an exceptional condition in the game and handled with the stealth temporarily "eliminating" the taunt. The taunt won't apply to the enemy until/unless stealth is broken.

That lost me a game one time. I taunted my most powerful minion on the board one time which happened to be one that was stealthed. To my surprise my opponent cruised right by him straight to my face.

borghe

That lost me a game one time. I taunted my most powerful minion on the board one time which happened to be one that was stealthed. To my surprise my opponent cruised right by him straight to my face.

I have to imagine blizz has it in a FAQ somewhere, but no... it isn't explained explicitly anywhere in the game AFAIK.

Defuso

Is there any disadvantage to NOT disentchant additional cards? (Like you got 3 of the same rare)
Or IS there any advantage?

scy

I know that now; I was just explaining why I thought BGH would destroy the stealthed creature - I was used to Magic terminology and how everything is described, nothing is really left for interpretation (in regards to game descriptors for mechanics). Also, other people I spoke to seemed to have no clue if it would destroy it or not (I didn't say if it did or not just to get an idea of what they thought).

Just stating that it should be the case across the board for future reference since, as you say here, it's just left as the default case. Don't think there's any exceptions to this rule. Like, there's no random effect ability that doesn't included the random keyword.

And as one additional note, nothing anyone/anything does breaks stealth EXCEPT for the minion either attacking or causing damage.

Flare breaks Stealth.

And I think he gets the mechanics, just meant that Magic is very wordy and tries to not leave room for assumptions (e.g., will always specify target for targeted abilities rather than have it as the default assumed case like Hearthstone does).

Is there any disadvantage to NOT disentchant additional cards? (Like you got 3 of the same rare)
Or IS there any advantage?

There was reason during the Beta when there was the possibility of card changes so the Disenchant value was the full card value instead of the reduced one. Now that the game is officially launched and these changes are most likely going to be very limited, there's probably not much reason to not dust random cards you have extras of.

the last patch made it look different when a stealth minion has taunt. so it should be slightly less confusing. it's such an edge case though which is probably why they haven't put an extra tool tip in for it.

borghe

Flare breaks Stealth.

And I think he gets the mechanics, just meant that Magic is very wordy and tries to not leave room for assumptions (e.g., will always specify target for targeted abilities rather than have it as the default assumed case like Hearthstone does).
doh. Forgot. but yeah, it specifically states it breaks stealth.

There was reason during the Beta when there was the possibility of card changes so the Disenchant value was the full card value instead of the reduced one. Now that the game is officially launched and these changes are most likely going to be very limited, there's probably not much reason to not dust random cards you have extras of.
honestly, massive sweeping changes now that they are live will seriously hurt their credibility. to that effect, they almost NEED at least a closed beta or test center of any new cards or expansions for exactly the same reason.

I also wonder if they are going to retire cards or versions of cards. Not sure at all how modo handles retired or altered cards between versions. Say they finally cave on Rag and retire the card, how do they handle that? And then down the road they re-release a slightly less powerful version, what about that?

Shrennin

no problem.

stealth = "a minion ability which prevents that minion from being the target of enemy attacks, spells and effects until they attack or deal damage."

If whatever you are doing or trying to accomplish requires you to click on the enemy minion to enact, it won't work. Keys here are "enemy" and "target". Enemy, because these rules ONLY apply to enemy minions that are stealthed. You can freely target your own stealthed minions without issue. Target, because anything that doesn't require targeting can still affect the stealthed minions. AOE abilities, "deals 3 random damage", "cause random minion to x", etc.

And as one additional note, nothing anyone/anything does breaks stealth EXCEPT for the minion either attacking or causing damage. That second part is important because if the minion has an ability that causes damage (Knife Juggler), stealth will break as soon as that ability is used even if the minion doesn't attack. Likewise if the stealthed minion attacks a divine shield, even though no damage is caused to the enemy, the minion still attacked and thus loses stealth.

Pretty straight forward IMHO. The ONLY not-so-straightforward exception to any of this is Taunt. This is an exceptional condition in the game and handled with the stealth temporarily "eliminating" the taunt. The taunt won't apply to the enemy until/unless stealth is broken.

edit - yeah, as scy said.. "target" in HS means basically any time you have to click on something. If I play a spell that says "remove a minion", I won't be able to remove that stealthed (or whatever) minion because, well, I actually have to click on it to select it. However if I play a spell that says "remove a random minion", that stealthed (or whatever) minion COULD possibly be removed because the spell isn't a targeting spell.

target = play spell, then choose who/what gets the spell applied to it (the target), then stuff happens
non-targeting = play spell, stuff happens

I appreciate the info - I think what really caught me off guard was that BGH didn't even act like there was a 7+ attack creature to target (I assume because it was stealthed) but it seemed like things that target often will allow you to target potentially valid targets but then just give you an error when it cannot (in this instance, since it's stealthed).

Just stating that it should be the case across the board for future reference since, as you say here, it's just left as the default case. Don't think there's any exceptions to this rule. Like, there's no random effect ability that doesn't included the random keyword.

I know, and I agree that there should be consistent keywords - I just don't really agree with the design decision to not include "target" as a specific keyword. I think card games really need clear and concise directions that cannot be left up for interpretation especially - for instance, it really helps players who are new to a card game where as long as they even just know the very basic of rules then the actual text should still be easy to understand what it does (or what it cannot do).

I do indeed understand the mechanic - I just misinterpreted that one card because, like you said, I'm used to the way Magic does things. =P

Eh, live and learn. I didn't really put too much value into BGH anyway.

In other news - I really like how Blizzard cross-promotes promotional stuff between their games. Usually I'm wary of this, but I typically enjoy most Blizzard games (the only series I won't likely ever play would be Diablo) so when Hearthstone was offering the Hearthsteed mount for WoW, I made sure to do what was required to obtain it. I wasn't sure how long it would be available either.

scy

I also wonder if they are going to retire cards or versions of cards. Not sure at all how modo handles retired or altered cards between versions. Say they finally cave on Rag and retire the card, how do they handle that? And then down the road they re-release a slightly less powerful version, what about that?

Depends on the format but the easiest way to put it is that cards from a set are usable until they rotate out (aka, "retired" as you put it). At that point, they're no longer legal cards for play. If they re-release Ragnaros, those old versions would be legal to use assuming it's the actual same card (e.g., Ragnaros the Firelord as an 8cc 8/8 with Random 8 damage). If the stats are changed, it would probably have a new name to denote that it's actually a different card despite being Ragnaros again.

edit: And just to clarify, if it is a different card, that means the old versions are still unusable. That said, I believe they've said they have no plans on rotating cards out of use but we'll see how that stands in, say, a year+.

I know, and I agree that there should be consistent keywords - I just don't really agree with the design decision to not include "target" as a specific keyword.

Until this, I didn't really think about it being missing. Like, I just assumed they all said target on them until I went to go check lol.

I do indeed understand the mechanic - I just misinterpreted that one card because, like you said, I'm used to the way Magic does things. =P

Eh, live and learn. I didn't really put too much value into BGH anyway.

If nothing else, Hearthstone is consistent in the wording for their mechanics. There may be bits that don't make sense from an MtG background but they'll not make sense consistently :x

As for BGH, it's a good card based on the meta. He's seeing a lot more use these days since A) We lost Tinkmaster and B) Control Warrior's Rag / Grommash / Geddon / Alexstraza or Warlock Giants need an answer.

ShinNL

Got added after a casual play. Forgot to make a screenshot before he removed me again (apparently he accidentally added me again so I was able to quickly screenshot the past conversation), but this is how the conversation went:

xLB6leF.png

I was playing my Freeze Legends deck. It kinda does that to people I guess...

I kept freezing and attacking with a 4/1 Cairne multiple turns, so he got sick of it and Mind Controlled it. Then I the next few turns I had a chain of Cone of Cold, Cone of Cold, Blizzard, Blizzard, Frost Nova, Frost Nova into a full clear Flamestrike.

Then I played Gruul, where he emoted 'Thank you' and stole it.
Then I sheeped it.

He already used 2 Mind Controls, 2 Pains (1 on Sylvanas, 1 on Ragnaros). Then I played Ysera, followed with Malygos.

Poor guy. I know how it is to play against many Legendaries when you don't have your own, it really sucks. Combined with insane amount of freezing it's just super frustrating to play against this deck.

Minsc

Gold Member

Well this is certainly one way to secure your end game. Was fun dropping Sylvanas and then Starfiring it on the same turn with an innervate to take their faceless'd copy of my Ysera, then faceless a third copy of Ysera on my next turn. Dream is pretty OP if you can draw it every turn lol.

ShinNL

Well this is certainly one way to secure your end game. Was fun dropping Sylvanas and then Starfiring it on the same turn with an innervate to take their faceless'd copy of my Ysera, then faceless a third copy of Ysera on my next turn. Dream is pretty OP if you can draw it every turn lol.
Only to get Force of Nature + Savage Roared the next turn :p

Minsc

Gold Member
Only to get Force of Nature + Savage Roared the next turn :p

Lol, wouldn't even have been upset. Was worth it for the three Yseras alone, but I hadn't thought of that. I guess I don't see force of nature in a big minion druid deck too often (or really at all in general). Savage roar I expect if I see a druid playing 2 & 3 drops (esp imp masters), but this guy had nothing below a 4-drop, much like my own deck.

scy

-1x Windfury for Al'Akir eventually.
-1x Acolyte of Pain for +1x Argent Squire
-2x Senjin for +2x Defender of Argus

And the Doomhammer builds (which look basically like that deck with the above changes) is pretty popular so no reason to take it out. It's part of the reason that Harrison Jones is suddenly super viable, though, so worth keeping that in mind.

snack

Got added after a casual play. Forgot to make a screenshot before he removed me again (apparently he accidentally added me again so I was able to quickly screenshot the past conversation), but this is how the conversation went:

I was playing my Freeze Legends deck. It kinda does that to people I guess...

I kept freezing and attacking with a 4/1 Cairne multiple turns, so he got sick of it and Mind Controlled it. Then I the next few turns I had a chain of Cone of Cold, Cone of Cold, Blizzard, Blizzard, Frost Nova, Frost Nova into a full clear Flamestrike.

Then I played Gruul, where he emoted 'Thank you' and stole it.
Then I sheeped it.

He already used 2 Mind Controls, 2 Pains (1 on Sylvanas, 1 on Ragnaros). Then I played Ysera, followed with Malygos.

Poor guy. I know how it is to play against many Legendaries when you don't have your own, it really sucks. Combined with insane amount of freezing it's just super frustrating to play against this deck.
Hahaha

Kunohara

Anyone else getting bad lag with the game? I've noticed that my opponent won't do anything until I mouse over my hand, then the game sort of catches up. I basically have to keep doing this in order for the move to go through. One time I was playing someone, and he never did anything for awhile, so I thought he afk'ed. The rope goes down, then it is my turn. Not 3 seconds or so later, my turn is ended, and he goes again. I still won the game thankfully, but man I was pissed.

I never lagged this bad before the current patch. My connection is fine (I do lag in Diablo 3 sometimes, 200-300 ping, maybe it is Blizzard, don't know). Battlefield 4 is fine for me.

Haunted

Just played this Priest in Arena who spammed Mind Visions and Thoughtsteals, he had so many.

But unbeknownst to him, I had only drafted shit cards. Ha!

DQxnYNs.gif

Owl

Neo Member
I thought this would be shit but it surprised me by being dosh damn amazing. Thank you to my SO for convincing me to actually sit down and play this game.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
whats the best place to check yo decks?

I feel like I am doing pretty good but id like to know how my cards compare to the most winning cards... type thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom