• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quixzlizx

Seems like it's more the fault of the game client/tournament organizers for not thinking this through. It makes them look unprofessional more than the guy who received the messages, assuming he wasn't intentionally cheating.

Alrus

What kind of dumb organisation is that? "Oh he obviously cheated but he was going to win anyway, so we won't do anything".

It wouldn't take much to have 6 or so iPads around with clean accounts so the players in the next match could get their decks ready. They could probably have worked with Blizzard to get some accounts with all the cards unlocked.

Pro tip: If people start playing Freeze Mage, dog's druid build that backs off on the combo elements by a card and runs a maindeck Healing Touch is probably the most versatile deck that effectively hard counters Freeze Mage.

I'll be playing it. Because the Freeze Mage mirror is one of the most miserable things ever.

Unless he really was cheating then you can put all the blame on him because that is fucking low.

Yeah, it's really his fault. There's nothing he can do in the game to stop the information once people started messaging it from him while he is in the middle of a game with turn timers playing the most decision dense turns that his complex deck has to play.

The information wasn't even very relevant. Freeze Mage only cares about him drawing/having Flare in that entire matchup.

Pro tip: If people start playing Freeze Mage, dog's druid build that backs off on the combo elements by a card and runs a maindeck Healing Touch is probably the most versatile deck that effectively hard counters Freeze Mage.

I'll be playing it. Because the Freeze Mage mirror is one of the most miserable things ever.

yeah it's worse than the face hunter mirror since those games always end so quickly.

JesseZao

Yep. Lore + having touch shuts it down.

Raxus

I also find Warrior as a great counter to Freeze mage as well since the armor you gain is much more than a mage can deal with and you have the hard removal for most minions.

Violet_0

Banned
I also find Warrior as a great counter to Freeze mage as well since the armor you gain is much more than a mage can deal with and you have the hard removal for most minions.

freeze mage vs warrior is nearly unwinable

imo warrior is currently not that good against other popular decks though

depths20XX

Isn't that hunter deck Reynad ran at dreamhack good against freeze mage? He ran 2 flares. If they can't ice block they can't really win.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I thought the stream was on at least a 10-15 minute delay to avoid stuff like this. If it wasn't.. well.. uh..

Actually now that I think about it the local times always matched up. Man, that's insane.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The online stream was delayed for sure but all you need for this is some friends with iPads watching live.

Indeed, the crowd. Man.. they should have definitely had some sort of dummy accounts or actually ask them remove all friends from the list.

This shit is really taking off.. reddit, youtube, on trump's chat..

I'm an expert

If anything, "Hello mom!" when you topdeck a Leeroy should now be a part of the Hearthstone lexicon.

It already is lol.. people messaging FreeGold while he plays the same thing lol. It's gonna be great.

Oh wow I didn't see the tweets from Viagames.. looks like DH's refs chose not to replay.

So there's no way to DND or turn off messages when you're playing? That's a big oversight. If I was running a live tourney I would require everyone to clear their friendslists before the competition. It would be a big hassle but you gotta do it.

So there's no way to DND or turn off messages when you're playing? That's a big oversight. If I was running a live tourney I would require everyone to clear their friendslists before the competition. It would be a big hassle but you gotta do it.

dreamhack should just have their own accounts

I haven't seen this kind of e-sports drama since that fateful incident with Flash and the space heater.

dreamhack should just have their own accounts

This immediately came to mind. Trained attendants enter the decklists as submitted into the devices for the player before the match and delete them after the match is complete, preparing the devices for the next set of players.

edit: Not being able to stop the game in progress so that you can resolve the situation and re-start is another missing feature. HS wasn't designed with e-sports in mind, it just so happened to become one due to popularity.

Heel

The thing is, would anyone have noticed anything weird might be going on without that one guy just outright saying Amaz had a Hunter's Mark? I really doubt it.

Either it just made everyone paranoid, or it blew their cover completely lol

Gotta love a good conspiracy.

JesseZao

It was incredibly unprofessional of the dreamhack organizers and also a blight on blizzard for no tournament/observer client, but I still think there is evidence and grounds to DQ rdu. They need to address the evidence or their organization looks bad.

RDU will not escape his infamy.

This is just going to add fuel to the conspiracy theory fire.

The reason he was mad, you see, was because his friend failed to use the agreed upon code words.

Heel

This is just going to add fuel to the conspiracy theory fire.

The reason he was mad, you see, was because his friend failed to use the agreed upon code words.

...Hunter's Mark? You were supposed to say Dad.

RZTv59Ul.jpg

I'm an expert

Lol at it being removed. I read it before it was. I think he's wrong honestly.

frequency

To me it doesn't matter if RDU was cheating or not. It doesn't matter if the outcome of the match would have been different or not. The game was compromised and had to be replayed no matter what. Terrible call by the organizers.

Either way this is going to follow RDU for a long time. His reputation is ruined.

Doomshine

If it's so damn obvious that he cheated as everyone on reddit keeps saying then it shouldn't be too hard finding more evidence than the same two images I keep seeing. Nevermind the fact that he called admins over himself after the Hunter's Mark message.

To me, it doesn't matter if RDU was cheating or not. It doesn't matter if the outcome of the match would have been different or not. The game was compromised and had to be replayed no matter what. Terrible call by the organizers.

The problem is now it looks like at least one prior game was compromised as well

Minsc

Gold Member
To me it doesn't matter if RDU was cheating or not. It doesn't matter if the outcome of the match would have been different or not. The game was compromised and had to be replayed no matter what. Terrible call by the organizers.

Either way this is going to follow RDU for a long time. His reputation is ruined.

How is his reputation ruined? It's not his call to restart, nor his responsibility to plan ahead for something like that. Sounds like the tournament's fault to me.

If it's so damn obvious that he cheated as everyone on reddit keeps saying then it shouldn't be too hard finding more evidence than the same two images I keep seeing. Nevermind the fact that he called admins over himself after the Hunter's Mark message.

So one game was compromised due to the Hunter's Mark thing. Then there was the Mom thing and Leeroy. How many more cases are needed to convince you that something was fucked, even if it wasn't planned by Rdu or whoever? The bottom line is the tournament scene in HS needs to be rebuilt/improved.

depths20XX

This isn't RDU's fault at all and I don't see how you think it could be.

First, if he was trying to cheat, why would he be so stupid to have someone message him while he's BEING STREAMED?

Second, it's all the fault of the tournament organizers/Blizzard for not having set this up in a way where people can't message you during a tournament.

How is his reputation ruined? It's not his call to restart, nor his responsibility to plan ahead for something like that. Sounds like the tournament's fault to me.

RDU was getting messages that appear to contain information about his opponents hand for at least the last two rounds. Tournaments fault? Absolutely, but RDU definitely looks like a cheater. He could have had those friends deleted long before the final if he was an innocent victim

First, if he was trying to cheat, why would he be so stupid to have someone message him while he's BEING STREAMED?

Because it worked? We know it happened in the semi final as well now

frequency

It doesn't matter if he's at fault or not or if he cheated or not. His reputation is ruined in that the Hearthstone community will say he cheated whether it's true or not.

Note: I don't think he cheated and I feel bad for him. But you know how people on the internet are...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom