• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

rac

Banned
When you reroll dailies, does it change gold amounts? I have a paladin/warrior 60 and a priest/warlock 60, and a "play 20 monsters costing 5 or more" 40 :
I always wait till around 1am to reroll. For some reason I get unlimited rerolls that way.

I really want to make a druid deck but the only druid card I've gotten in the last 10 packs is wrath, great stuff.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
People say this meta is diverse but there are really only three decks:
Control, combo, and leper gnome.

Those are the only 3 decks in card games, yes.

Welcome to card games everyone! Enjoy your stay.

otBHtsV.jpg

No crazy cards, just the usual blizzard/3x flamestrike mage bullshit.

I think that the Tiger and Frost Elemental are underrated in Mage lists. Both are hard to remove and are played in advance of a turn seven flamestrike, allowing you to keep the board afterwards. They are also good on their own.

The Brewmaster cards worked out well in the deck. I got a lot of value out of returning damaged Water Elementals, the Sunwalker, and Imp Masters to my hand and then replaying them, even if they don't have strong battlecries.

JesseZao

I wish I could find a really good Paladin streamer since that's pretty much all I play now. Any suggestions?

Zilea plays only control/healadin. He only streams late at night and usually only for an hour or so. Sometimes his friend Veev plays pally too, but not sure about his schedule.

Strider

Zilea plays only control/healadin. He only streams late at night and usually only for an hour or so. Sometimes his friend Veev plays pally too, but not sure about his schedule.

Hopefully past broadcasts will be enabled so schedule won't matter. Thanks for the suggestion I will Def check it out.

JesseZao

Just beat a druid as freeze mage for exact lethal with last card (fireball). He healed three times (healing touch and lores). Thalnos (29th card) just would not let me have my fireball (had to blast him to draw it.

That druid lost because he dropped a minion instead of hero powering on at least one turn.

That said, raid boss down. Anything is possible.

Edit: Hax. Okay, freeze mage.

ChrisW

Just downloaded this last night, I don't plan to put any money into it. Will I still get a lot of play time from the game without p2p?

Also finally beat someone online last night after 5 games, so pleased.

Any tips for a newb?

JesseZao

Just downloaded this last night, I don't plan to put any money into it. Will I still get a lot of play time from the game without p2p?

Any tips for a newb?

There is much fun to be had even if you commit to free. It'll just take some time to build your collection obviously. I've been playing for 9? Months as a free player and have more or less a complete collection.

Tips would be to use gold for arenas to maximize returns. If you want to play ranked or casual there are a good number of budget aggro decks that shouldn't take more than a week or two to craft.

If you really want to improve and learn the game faster, streams are a good place to do so.

Any tips for a newb?

- Learn how to play in Arena. I learned most of what I know from this article and the associated twitch VODS:

http://ihearthu.com/vivafringes-guide-to-arena/

It's old but the drafting strategies aren't out of date. Getting to the point where you can do decent (4+ wins) in Arena will make your F2P life much easier. The dust and bonus gold you get along with your pack is a huge benefit vs. spending your gold on packs alone.

- Play the game. Don't discouraged because you play against people with epic and legendary cards. Even when they deal you the killing blow in a game, the actual root cause for the game loss almost certainly happened many turns ago for totally different reasons.
- As an extension to the above, the phrase "you win some, you lose some" really applies to this game. You will win and you will lose. You can't let losing get to you. Keep at it.
- There are some very good budget decks out there-the Warlock Zoo deck, the Midrange Hunter deck, and the Aggro Mage deck (just sub Loot Hoarder for Thalnos). Start with one and grind games out with it. Learn to win, learn to lose, but take time after every game to summarize in one or two sentences why the outcome of the game was a win or loss.

Ashodin

Any tips for a newb?

As long as you have got the time, everything is free.

ChrisW

Tips would be to use gold for arenas to maximize returns.

- Learn how to play in Arena. I learned most of what I know from this article and the associated twitch VODS:

http://ihearthu.com/vivafringes-guide-to-arena/

- There are some very good budget decks out there-the Warlock Zoo deck, the Midrange Hunter deck, and the Aggro Mage deck (just sub Loot Hoarder for Thalnos). Start with one and grind games out with it. Learn to win,

Newb here, what do you mean when you say "spend your gold on arenas"?

Thanks for the article I'll have a read this afternoon at some point.

The game in the early stages is a bit slim with what it tells you, but how do I get different decks? I'm currently just using the one you get with the Mage after the tutorial

Minsc

Gold Member
Do we have a date for pve yet?

Nope (ok, well "Summer" I guess), though people expect Blizzard to do something this week (probably on Wednesday/Thursday), because for the past two months they've been revealing a Naxx card every week on those days and now they've run out of class cards. So they either reveal something else (like price/date or a bunch of neutral cards), or do nothing and everyone gets upset.

Raxus

Nope (ok, well "Summer" I guess), though people expect Blizzard to do something this week (probably on Wednesday/Thursday), because for the past two months they've been revealing a Naxx card every week on those days and now they've run out of class cards. So they either reveal something else (like price/date or a bunch of neutral cards), or do nothing and everyone gets upset.

We're proud to announce...A NEW CARD BACK!

Xanathus

Any tips for a newb?
This game is extremely f2p, you just have to put in time into learning how to be good in arena and do your daily quests regularly. I haven't put in any money and have 3 tourney level decks now after starting late last year.

zoukka

Quixzlizx

Are there any good streamers who archive? I want to watch streams, but I don't want to have to set aside specific time slots just to be able to watch them.

ChrisW

When you guys mention a "deck" are you talking about building these yourselves from cards collected, or are there several stock decks that you can aquire in the game.

When your mentioning decks with names, are these given by well known players I.e. Miracle Rouge?

Newbie here

daemissary

I swear I have the worst luck with Mage in arena. Just had a run where I wasn't offered a single Fireball or Flamestrike the entire time. Still managed to eke out 4 wins and it should've been 5 except my Mad Bomber dealt all 3 of his damage to my 4/3 on the board...ugh.

ViviOggi

When you guys mention a "deck" are you talking about building these yourselves from cards collected, or are there several stock decks that you can aquire in the game.

When your mentioning decks with names, are these given by well known players I.e. Miracle Rouge?

Newbie here

There's a few stock decks you get early on but they're total ass and not even useful for beginners as the basic cards you unlock by leveling your heroes to 10 allow you to build much better ones already. Anything that matters is player-built.

The origins of deck names vary, they can be named by their creator, after the player who made them popular, their basic game plan (Freeze Mage, Control whatever etc.) or after staples with similar concepts from other CCGs, mostly MTG.

scy

I wish I could find a really good Paladin streamer since that's pretty much all I play now. Any suggestions?

Koyuki is another good Paladin streamer, though he doesn't stream all that often.

Newbie here

There's no other unlocked decks in the game so, yes, decks with a name (e.g., Freeze Mage, Ramp Druid, Miracle Rogue, etc.) are all just known player made decks.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Life coach has the best and most educational stream. He's one of the highest level streamers and he explains all his plays. Low viewer count is nice because it's not cancer spam. Dude is top 100 on all 3 servers and plays multiple decks.

Newbie here
You are correct, a deck is a collection of cards that people put together and play. When people net deck, that usually means that most, if not all cards, are copied from someone else's deck, usually from someone who has hit legend. The only thing you can buy are packs and they are 100% random.

Names come from what the deck is. Someone else can probably explain it better, but for example, a zoolock is a warlock that mainly had a bunch of different creatures, thus that's where zoo comes in, and it goes for the face. You'll see it a lot because it's easy and effective for the early ranks.

As well, decks can be broken down into aggro, control, and combo. These just mean what the deck is trying to accomplish. Aggro is just a beat down deck, you rush your opponent and try to kill them before they can do anything. Control is about constantly clearing and keeping board control from your opponent.(Board control usually means you just have better minions/conditions on your side of the board). Then, in the late game, turn 10 and on, you play very dangerous minions minions to finish off your opponent. Combo is about cycling through your deck with draw cards/mechanics until you get a certain hand in which to kill your opponent with.

I think that should cover most of it. If I'm wrong about something, someone should be able to clear it up better.

JesseZao

Koyuki is another good Paladin streamer, though he doesn't stream that often.

Oh yeah, forgot about him. He always plays control decks, so he's another good one to go against the grain. He's rather boring by himself, so I don't normally watch him. Smart player though. Came from mtg I think.

Life coach has the best and most educational stream. He's one of the highest level streamers and he explains all his plays. Low viewer count is nice because it's not cancer spam. Dude is top 100 on all 3 servers and plays multiple decks.

Indeed. Lifecoach is awesome.

scy

Names come from what the deck is. Someone else can probably explain it better, but for example, a zoolock is a warlock that mainly had a bunch of different creatures, thus that's where zoo comes in, and it goes for the face. You'll see it a lot because it's easy and effective for the early ranks.

I wouldn't say that Zoo just goes for the face. It's an aggro-control deck. It curves low but focuses on controlling the board rather than just throwing things at your face. Really, due to the nature of the game being attacker advantaged, almost all aggro decks are really more aggro-control. The rush decks are the niche exception.

Haly

Zoo is a holdover from the Magic deck/archtype of the same name, which is just a deck filled with really good cost efficient 1-3 mana creatures. There was no underlying theme between them beyond "being good" so it was like a "zoo" of quality creatures.

And scy is right, Zoo in Hearthstone is unique in that it plays a kind of creature-based control with late game burst for the finish, versus straight up aggro like Shockadin or Hunter. The point is not to overwhelm your opponent with raw damage, but to bury them in board presence and tempo. The fact that Zoo can transition almost seamlessly into face aggro is one of its greatest strengths.

Thanks for the correction on Zoo. I guess I just thought it was aggro since I rarely have a board presence with the deck I play. Maybe I'll try it out sometime.

Haly

The midrange charge druid deck is the same thing. Aggressive board control that can burst for 20+ after turn 7.

Ah, so that's what I ran into the other day on my Rogue, I was wondering why there were chargers all over the place suddenly.

scy

Zoo is a holdover from the Magic deck/archtype of the same name, which is just a deck filled with really good cost efficient 1-3 mana creatures. There was no underlying theme between them beyond "being good" so it was like a "zoo" of quality creatures.

RIP Wild Nacatl

Thanks for the correction on Zoo. I guess I just thought it was aggro since I rarely have a board presence with the deck I play. Maybe I'll try it out sometime.

Well, "aggro" still doesn't really mean "just hits you in the face a lot." It's really more about ... well, being the aggressor early on. That means playing more early creatures, taking board presence early, and being in position to threaten face damage. It doesn't really mean to ignore the board for hitting them in the face. Again, due to the game being attacker advantaged, this is sort of unique to Hearthstone; by being aggressive, you control the board since you're the one dictating how trades work.

...and then there are the "I play dudes and hit you in the face with them and win before I lose" ones :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom