• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
Not a new deck, but finally got around to trying this aggro lock deck. I like it. Feels like people are too used to zoo, and this throws them off, thinking they can win by getting back board control. I added in an extra hellfire because the board clear and face damage is just too good.

16lock.png

Not a new deck, but finally got around to trying this aggro lock deck. I like it. Feels like people are too used to zoo, and this throws them off, thinking they can win by getting back board control. I added in an extra hellfire because the board clear and face damage is just too good.

I played this deck from 16 to 7 last season with a very good win rate. I despised the zoo "mirror" greatly because it's actually very hard with this deck, but it felt much better vs. Miracle, Charge Druid, and Freeze Mae than regular zoo did. I think it is effective at quick laddering and a legend viable deck.

johnsmith

remember me
I played this deck from 16 to 7 last season with a very good win rate. I despised the zoo "mirror" greatly because it's actually very hard with this deck, but it felt much better vs. Miracle, Charge Druid, and Freeze Mae than regular zoo did. I think it is effective at quick laddering and a legend viable deck.

Yeah, just played 2 zoos in a row. Got wrecked by the first, I destroyed the 2nd. The difference was hellfire. Even though I had an amazing opening hand I still lost board control around turn 4, got saved by hellfire, and won right after that. Hellfire is just too good to not run 2 of them. Dropped a mortal coil, and going to drop the 2nd one for something else. Going to try a boar. Yes, the damage is useless, but if they waste 2 mana to ping it, that's great, plus sometimes you just need a fast cheap thing with charge to combo with power overwhelming. The other option is elven archer.

After playing a game I'm definitely keeping the boar. Really helped out in a zoo game by letting me kill his knife juggler by dropping him next to a dire wolf. He also combos with abusive sergeant so he has a lot of synergy.

FeD.nL

So i've been saving up for some time now, just hit 2000g, can't play everyday so i'm glad I made it. Should be enough for atleast 2 wings right?

One win away from rank 8. This feels like the kind of meta (and my main primary deck) where if I tried I could push to legendary... I just can't stay motivated. Even if I'm currently winning 3+ for every 1 loss, losses just kill my feelings of momentum. That said, the mid-range pally deck I made is really mopping up. I'm now convinced people just aren't expecting and thus don't know how to handle it even though it's nothing much special to look at.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Those aren't conditions, he's still doing his job. Inefficiently, of course, but doing it.

Kel is literally overcosted without something else in play to trade. A Shaman wouldn't even be able to run his 0/2 totems into the other team. You need board presence, and your board presence needs to be able to attack.

What's important is whether you actually play him or not. Just because Kel'Thuzad's conditions might be more explicit doesn't mean he's that much worse.

CradleOfMan

Neo Member
One win away from rank 8. This feels like the kind of meta (and my main primary deck) where if I tried I could push to legendary... I just can't stay motivated. Even if I'm currently winning 3+ for every 1 loss, losses just kill my feelings of momentum. That said, the mid-range pally deck I made is really mopping up. I'm now convinced people just aren't expecting and thus don't know how to handle it even though it's nothing much special to look at.
You need to really want to get that legendary card back. If you're losing motivation at rank 8, then the grind from 5 and down (without winstreaks!) is a real mountain. Not gonna happen this month unless you knuckle down now.

ViviOggi

I have no idea why not more people started busting out Control Warrior, it's almost impossible to beat with Miracle unless they draw abysmally.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The Hearthstone playerbase at large has trouble playing Zoo with any kind of finesse, Control Warrior is 2much4them.

What's important is whether you actually play him or not. Just because Kel'Thuzad's conditions might be more explicit doesn't mean he's that much worse.

The fact that you can't play him willy nilly makes him worse. This is why Ysera fell out of favor. She was just too fragile to be worth playing over Rag and Cenarius, whose effects are immediate and change the board state substantially, rain or shine.

It would be different if the game slowed down enough where the average kill turn is like 9 or 13. But in a meta where kills happen by turn 7, unless it's a control-vs-control, a card that absolutely needs certain conditions to be met to be worth playing is inherently inferior to cards that have few such limitations.

Think about it this way, in the late game, when you're behind, you'll never be disappointed to topdeck Rag or Cenarius. Or Alexstrasza. These are cards that can further clinch your victory, or mitigate a losing position. Kel? It's possible for Kel to save you, but only in very narrow situations that aren't precisely "losing" (empty board state, low life, etc) so much as "slightly disadvantaged" (board state, but not as strong as the opponent's).

Special C

The Hearthstone playerbase at large has trouble playing Zoo with any kind of finesse,

I'm really bad at Zoo, and I don't know why. I can play Ramp Druid, Aggro Paladin, and Silence Priest with plenty of skill, but Zoo eludes me. Maybe it's because I dont have time to watch streams.

Vio-Lence

Banned
I'm really bad at Zoo, and I don't know why. I can play Ramp Druid, Aggro Paladin, and Silence Priest with plenty of skill, but Zoo eludes me. Maybe it's because I dont have time to watch streams.
Only difference between a good and bad zoo player is knowing when to go for face versus clearing the board.

Vio-Lence

Banned
I have no idea why not more people started busting out Control Warrior, it's almost impossible to beat with Miracle unless they draw abysmally.
Didn't control warrior fall out of favor because it gets rekt by miracle? Even kitkatz agrees that miracle is an unfavorable matchup.

I think control warrior is making a comeback due to the resurgence of freeze mage.

You need to really want to get that legendary card back. If you're losing motivation at rank 8, then the grind from 5 and down (without winstreaks!) is a real mountain. Not gonna happen this month unless you knuckle down now.

Since I got to rank 8 in 2 days worth of playing (maybe 2-3 hours each time) I don't think I'd have a problem, just not sure if grinding 5-6 hours a day for the next few would be worth my time and possible heartbreak :)

Minsc

Gold Member
^ My guess is you likely disconnected, it's a common occurrence to people who lose their connection in a game, they think their opponent's turn never ends.

Since I got to rank 8 in 2 days worth of playing (maybe 2-3 hours each time) I don't think I'd have a problem, just not sure if grinding 5-6 hours a day for the next few would be worth my time and possible heartbreak :)

Things definitely get easier at the end of the season... I noticed I am having a lot less trouble now moving up. But you have a point about wanting there to be more than a few days... I imagine if you tried to get to rank 8 in the first week of the new season you would have more difficulty doing do (not saying it'd be very hard or anything, just not quite as simple as now).

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yeah I somehow got the Rank 6 this season, when last season I was only Rank 12 or so. Maybe it's just because I built a couple net decks, but it still seemed easier than it should have been, lol..

ViviOggi

Didn't control warrior fall out of favor because it gets rekt by miracle? Even kitkatz agrees that miracle is an unfavorable matchup.

I think control warrior is making a comeback due to the resurgence of freeze mage.

I really don't see how, they easily deal with your relatively weak threats while armoring up and at some point your deck simply doesn't have the damage to kill them off anymore. Miracle's game plan isn't really that different from Freeze Mage either.
Maybe I'm unlucky or mulliganning wrong, idk.

TomServo

Only difference between a good and bad zoo player is knowing when to go for face versus clearing the board.

That's really not that big of a deal to sort out... that, minion positioning, and managing discards is about all there is. Which is why I don't understand why zoo gets so much derision, three elements is about any deck has.

For me it's been more about learning the meta, and how to play around common scenarios that's made the biggest difference. First season I struggled to finish at rank 18, last season ended at 8, and I'm currently sitting at 6. As a casual player who will never make legend, I don't expect to ever see past rank 5.

I really don't see how, they easily deal with your relatively weak threats while armoring up and at some point your deck simply doesn't have the damage to kill them off anymore. Miracle's game plan isn't really that different from Freeze Mage either.

warriors don't usually play taunt and unless you get lucky with baron geddon and whirlwind they can't kill a concealed auctioneer. and when control warrior plays a big threat it's usually just sapped right back to their hand.

and the miracle rogues that play coldlights are hilariously bad matchups for control warrior. although that isn't a common build anymore.

LaneDS

warriors don't usually play taunt and unless you get lucky with baron geddon and whirlwind they can't kill a concealed auctioneer. and when control warrior plays a big threat it's usually just sapped right back to their hand.

Does Ragnaros ignore stealthed targets? Can't remember how that works.

ViviOggi

and the miracle rogues that play coldlights are hilariously bad matchups for control warrior. although that isn't a common build anymore.
Never drew Conceal in my recent games, maybe that's the issue. Like most decklists I only run one. But even then you've got a lot of armor to chew through if they drew their removal/Shield Block early.
Does Ragnaros ignore stealthed targets? Can't remember how that works.
Nope he doesn't care, it's often Druids' best option to remove a concealed Auctioneer as well.

scy

Pretty much. Miracle Rogue is given free reign to do their thing so it's all on the Control Warrior to win before they lose.

That's really not that big of a deal to sort out... that, minion positioning, and managing discards is about all there is. Which is why I don't understand why zoo gets so much derision, three elements is about any deck has.

Because people keep thinking it's a "hit them in the face" sort of deck and underplay what elements it does have (/overplay the elements their decks have).

My control warrior is 71% against rogue this season. I think I might have fought a couple tempo/pirates but obviously most of those games were against miracle.

It's definitely possible to lose, but as long as I'm able to put down a few pressure minions I usually win and feel pretty comfortable about it.

I disagree 100% with the common advice to just armor up against miracle. They will kill you every time unless you get two shield blocks, and even then they can kill you without too much effort. It's much better to play your threats and make them blow their spells on removing them. You can usually get a rogue to blow 2-3 spells early if you play taskmaster onto armorsmith. Getting both Kok'kron Elites early is usually the best sign of success vs miracle.

My favorite move is to kill my own Sylvanas to take their stealthed auctioneer.

ViviOggi

It would be so insanely easy to figure out what I did wrong against these Warriors with a replay feature, and with spectator mode online tournaments would stop looking like amateur hour while on the other hand being a pain in the ass to produce.

Get a grip, Blizzard.

Maybe we'll see naxxramas update this upcoming tuesday. It will be July 1st. And I presume they may release it at the beginning of the month to get all 4 wings released in the same season. So... maybe :)

It's usually easy to move up in ranks at the end of the season. My guess is that all the best players have grinded past these ranks.

That is the general sentiment. But I personally don't notice a difficulty change. At least not significant. I've ranked up early some seasons and sometimes very late like this season.

Bleeether

Perhaps, it was just a coincidence last season and this season.

I have been streaming my progress this season. It took me a lot of work to get to rank 6 [only have handlock deck], and then i hit a terrible losing streak that set me back to rank 11 all on stream :(. I took a break for a bit from ranked play after being bummed out about that, when i decided to jump back in, i went from rank 11 to rank 7 in a matter of hours!

Possibly dumb luck, but it certainly felt a lot easier.

Perhaps, it was just a coincidence last season and this season.

I have been streaming my progress this season. It took me a lot of work to get to rank 6 [only have handlock deck], and then i hit a terrible losing streak that set me back to rank 11 all on stream :(. I took a break for a bit from ranked play after being bummed out about that, when i decided to jump back in, i went from rank 11 to rank 7 in a matter of hours!

Possibly dumb luck, but it certainly felt a lot easier.

Well the meta does shift sometimes where handlock is very good, and other times where it is just average. Meta could explain why you have a rough time or an easy time. Just look at your match ups and figure out what you are weak against and what you are strong against. Then if you are losing often against something you should be winning, try to figure out what you're doing wrong.

Minsc

Gold Member
Maybe we'll see naxxramas update this upcoming tuesday. It will be July 1st. And I presume they may release it at the beginning of the month to get all 4 wings released in the same season. So... maybe :)

The jelly bean / gummy bear thing seems to be the strongest lead to me so far, July 15th, it's a Tuesday as well. It was said they also made mention of 7-15 in another tweet. It's all 5 wings besides, not 4, so it'd never condense in to a single season even if it released on the 1st. Though I guess if you got the 5th wing to hit on the 29th, it'd still technically be the same season... I still find that July 15th prediction to be the most likely. Perhaps they'll shed some light on it soon.

Bleeether

Well the meta does shift sometimes where handlock is very good, and other times where it is just average. Meta could explain why you have a rough time or an easy time. Just look at your match ups and figure out what you are weak against and what you are strong against. Then if you are losing often against something you should be winning, try to figure out what you're doing wrong.

Shaman is what happened to me during my losing streak. That earthshock so op against Twilight Drake

johnsmith

remember me
This season the competition is WAAAAAAY harder than ever before. Getting wrecked and down to rank 7 now. I was legend by now last month.

Nope. I quit out of a game once almost immediately when it killed one of my stealthed Auctioneers.

This is why I like Rag over Cenarius in Druid at the top ranks. Rag comes out sooner and really messed with rogues (Stealth Auctioneer or not). Cenarius is a better mirror breaker and still a solid pick.

Not enough people playing Shaman and midrange Hunter in the metagame, given how good those decks are.

This is why I like Rag over Cenarius in Druid at the top ranks. Rag comes out sooner and really messed with rogues (Stealth Auctioneer or not). Cenarius is a better mirror breaker and still a solid pick.

Not enough people playing Shaman and midrange Hunter in the metagame, given how good those decks are.

I personally choose cenarius over ragnaros because of cenarius' synergy with savage roar. Even if only cenarius survives, that is 7 damage more reach, and when combined with FON+SR, that is 21 points of reach in a single turn. If you have a crazy hand, FON+SR+innervate+SR... is like 29 points of damage. That is nuts.

Ragnaros is good but I feel like Cenarius is much more consistent.

JesseZao

This season the competition is WAAAAAAY harder than ever before. Getting wrecked and down to rank 7 now. I was legend by now last month.

I think it's really volatile depending on the time you play. I cruised to 3 in the afternoon, but late in the evening, I was facing high ranked legendaries. Just not as many people playing sometimes so the skill is all over the place maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom