• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
I think it's really volatile depending on the time you play. I cruised to 3 in the afternoon, but late in the evening, I was facing high ranked legendaries. Just not as many people playing sometimes so the skill is all over the place maybe.

Definitely. As soon as it hits midnight mountain time it gets way easier. Was about to hit rank 8, decided to switch to a vanilla zoo, and now I went on a nonstop winstreak to rank 5.

Awwww yeah check out all that dust. Finally have enough to craft frost giants.

MYeErLL.jpg

johnsmith

remember me
I'm convinced that priests are the best class in the game. They have answers for EVERYTHING. EVERY DAMN TIME. No matter what class I'm playing I easily have the worst win rate against them than any other class.

zoukka

I disenchant all my golds, cards aren't very likely to be changed anymore so there's no point in holding out.

Well if you play this game still in the future, you will eventually reach a point where the only new things you want are good commons/rares as golden. Dust all the Pit Lords and Wisps, but keep great commons and rares, the amount of dust you get is not that big.

And nerfs are always an option to Blizz no matter what they say.

Violet_0

Banned
reading through the Naxx spoilers and looking at the boss abilities, freeze mage and face hunter will be some of the more effective decks (hunters perhaps less so on heroic difficulty). A lot of these boss abilities punish you for playing minions and freeze mage will bypass the board state and the opponent's health.

JesseZao

reading through the Naxx spoilers and looking at the boss abilities, freeze mage and face hunter will be some of the more effective decks (hunters perhaps less so on heroic difficulty). A lot of these boss abilities punish you for playing minions and freeze mage will bypass the board state and the opponent's health.

One of the screens seemed to indicate you use a predetermined deck, so you might not have that choice. Probably easiest to tune the difficulty that way.

Any good suggestions for a deck that will make games go by quick? I'm still learning the ins and outs but having some of these matches draw out for ever is murderous.

iNvid02

i beat my record 8 arena wins over the last few days, got to 10 with both priest and mage playing late at night.

not sure if the time makes that much of a difference, but i definitely noticed more variety in my opponents heroes, before i would be paired up against mages over and over.

frequency

Any good suggestions for a deck that will make games go by quick? I'm still learning the ins and outs but having some of these matches draw out for ever is murderous.

I don't netdeck a whole lot (building decks is 80% of the fun to me) but I tried Zoo lock recently. It's pretty fast compared to what I usually play. Some games end by like turn 6. It's low cost (dust) to make too. With the warlock hero ability you won't be running out of steam as quickly either.

You can also look at any aggro deck. You either win quickly or you lose quickly.

Badgerst3

Just learning this game. Slowly.

3 questions-

I just created my own deck for a level 12 Hunter.

1. Good idea or should I level all my heroes up first?
2. In casual play mode, when I play my custom deck- am I matched up with other custom decks, basic or both.
3. Does opponent ever change from "worthy opponent"?

3 questions-

2. In casual play mode, when I play my custom deck- am I matched up with other custom decks, basic or both.

1. Recommend leveling up every class to 10. You get 100 gold for doing it, and you learn more about those classes (knowledge is king).
2. The decks used aren't taken into account in the matchmaking. Don't have a heart attack if someone starts dropping legendary cards on you.
3. No.

frequency

3 questions-

1. You can play as you are now but it's always a good idea to level the other classes too. If only to see what kind of cards the other classes have for when you play against them. Plus you'll get some gold for doing it.
2. It's match making based on your win rate. It doesn't matter what deck you're using.
3. No, that's just a joke loading thing. It's always "Worthy Opponent".

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm convinced that priests are the best class in the game. They have answers for EVERYTHING. EVERY DAMN TIME. No matter what class I'm playing I easily have the worst win rate against them than any other class.

Hardly. They fair poorly in the current meta with all the aggressive decks. They can do very well in the late game but suffer early.

ZealousD

Well if you play this game still in the future, you will eventually reach a point where the only new things you want are good commons/rares as golden. Dust all the Pit Lords and Wisps, but keep great commons and rares, the amount of dust you get is not that big.

And nerfs are always an option to Blizz no matter what they say.

Yeah, and you get very little dust from golden commons. Its only enough to build another common.

Malice215

I started playing Ancient Watcher in my Druid deck yesterday and by turn 4 people were conceding. I'll take the W, but I'd rather see them put up a fight.

Can't wait for this expansion to get here.

johnsmith

remember me
Hardly. They fair poorly in the current meta with all the aggressive decks. They can do very well in the late game but suffer early.

They destroy aggro decks. They have too many board clears. Wild pyro, circle + soul priest, and holy nova. Then late game they just start healing constantly.

JesseZao

So pretty, never dusting. I am in for the long haul anyway! Gunna have a full collection one day... maybe :p

I'll be enjoying my free full collection for months to a year before you then ;)

Just had longest game ever. 17 turns. Both of us handlocks. I bgh his mountain giant, he thalnos sbolts my two sunwalkers, board is being cleaned up back and forth, etc. He turn 9 Jarraxus's. Really wish I still had a Pact in my deck. He heals with his own Pact on his hero power minion, then twisting nethered, then alex'd himself (which I stole with sylvanus/PO)...game lasted forever. Luckily, I had my moltens, taunts, siphons and leeroy shadowflame to stall enough for lethal. Was tiring.

I really should just stick to anti-aggro zoo.

zoukka

They destroy aggro decks. They have too many board clears. Wild pyro, circle + soul priest, and holy nova. Then late game they just start healing constantly.

If priests were good against aggressive decks they would be in the top. They aren't.

Priests are great in control mirrors. They won't deck out thanks to thoughtsteal and can potentially steal your power cards so they just run out of steam later.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If priests were good against aggressive decks they would be in the top. They aren't.

^

Priests are just a bit too slow to handle aggro, with Holy Nova at 5.

Consecration at 4 barely cuts it and Paladin has its own issues (lack of meaningful 1-3).

Can't always rely on a two card combo to clear the board.

Haly

Shadow Word: Pain is also frequently a dead draw in the late game. That hints at Priest's real problem: Their cards are just too narrow.

Other classes' cheap (1-2 cost) removal for comparison:

Rockbiter: Can combo with windfury/Leeroy
Lightning Bolt: 3 to face
Backstab: Can draw off of Auctioneer
Deadly Poison: Combos with Blade Flurry, can deal 4 damage to face
Frostbolt: Can trigger Ice Lance or stall for a turn, or just face for 3 damage
Arcane Shot: Can go for face
Hunter's Mark: Works at any time
Execute: Works at any time
Slam: Can cycle
Whirlwind: Combos with Enrage/Armorsmith
Shadow Word Pain: Welp

frequency

I hate that Shadow Word Pain and Shadow Word Death exist.

I'd rather it was just 1 removal card that deal with everything like every other class.

Maybe that breaks the balance and priests being able to remove 4 attack minions will make them the most overpowered thing ever... but I don't see it.

I always feel like I have to have both Pain and Death because I need some removal. I don't feel like I need 4 removal cards but I have to bring them just because they are so limited on what they can remove.

Haly

1 Pain, 2 Deaths, for the current meta.

Amaz subs out the Pain for a Holy Smite. I agree with his reasoning, but the landscape at sub-legend levels is a bit different so I prefer the Pain when I need to do Priest dailies.

Don't be afraid of one-offs.
Pain and Death have additional utility in that they don't care about health or divine shields though.
Yes, but consider, how often is health really an issue? Ancient of War. Legendaries like Rag and Alexstrasza. Giants. Otherwise you're looking at 4-5 max, except with Circle of Healing + Injured Blademaster (which can't be hit anyway). That's sub-Fireball levels.

The 4-attack blind spot is far more relevant than disregard of Divine Shield/HP.

I hate that Shadow Word Pain and Shadow Word Death exist.

I'd rather it was just 1 removal card that deal with everything like every other class.

Maybe that breaks the balance and priests being able to remove 4 attack minions will make them the most overpowered thing ever... but I don't see it.

I always feel like I have to have both Pain and Death because I need some removal. I don't feel like I need 4 removal cards but I have to bring them just because they are so limited on what they can remove.

I disagree. I like that priest has its own unique removal. Same with each class. The class that has straight hard removal is rogue and most decks don't even run it. I often run 1 because it can be very valuable to deal with a single threat and keep initiative because of it.

Priest can deal with 4 attack minions. Just not with hard removal. Priest win condition is often getting board with a high health minion and keeping it. One way they do that is with the low cost removals of shadow word pain and death, but mostly death because of the generally high tempo value. Pain really doesn't have a target above 4 mana so the max tempo advantage you can earn is like 2 mana. Still pretty decent against some decks cause at 2 mana most removal hits for around 3 damage, one exception would be eviscerate hitting for 4 when combo'd. So pain removes minions like senjin/violet teacher where other 2 mana removal falls short.

Haly

Relevant to earlier discussion put forth by Minsc:
http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/c...-reading-the-signs-a-primer-on-making-reads#1

For some decks, (Control) you have to learn to read plays, and this article teaches you the basics of deck identification just from what cards they play or when they use their hero power. As you get better, you'll be able to ID cards in the hand, but this is a good place to start.

I think the biggest tell of a miracle rogue is weaponing up and attacking turn 2. While it is not definitive like handlock spotting, it is a move often screaming that he doesn't have a turn 3 play and he doesn't believe he will be getting one.

Other reasons include, turn 3 deadly poison + defias ringleader, which is a tempo play and if they attack turn 2 they are wasting a deadly poison charge.

But it is still possible that they have a turn 3: hero power + deadly poison even as a miracle rogue, or really any rogue deck.

I have actually faked people out with my midrange/tempo rogue deck because I hero power attack, signalling them to play aggressively due to them thinking I am miracle rogue. To which I easily steal initiative and at that point it is pretty difficult to steal back unless I run out of minions which doesn't usually happen.

frequency

I just find that often either the Pain or the Death ends up just being a dead card in my hand depending on which deck I'm playing against.

I'd rather just have a single pair of removal cards that won't be dead in my hand for half my matches.

Raxus

I just find that often either the Pain or the Death ends up just being a dead card in my hand depending on which deck I'm playing against.

I'd rather just have a single pair of removal cards that won't be dead in my hand for half my matches.
Out of the two, only Death has the most inherent value. More often than not a smite still cover most early minions if you cared that much about rush. Personally I'd rather have board presence.

Bleeether

TIL: You can change you daily quest

I got a quest i didn't want to deal with yesterday. So, i decided to click the x on the top right corner thinking it would delete it, lo and behold it rerolled another quest! Value.

Haly

TIL: You can change you daily quest

I got a quest i didn't want to deal with yesterday. So, i decided to click the x on the top right corner thinking it would delete it, lo and behold it rerolled another quest! Value.

Yes, and if you do it around 1am-2am server or local time (i'm not sure which), you can reroll an infinite amount of times.

Quests have an internal cooldown, however, so you won't see Total Dominance (100g for 7 wins) more than once every 3 days.

the hearthstone esport drama is midly entertaining at the moment. Reynad still the champ tho

I don't even understand it, it is all nonsense. Why don't they act like adults?

Ekop just got picked up by a team. I understand he got asked a question and he told the truth but word it better. Then he doubles down on the crazy on reddit

ZealousD

Golden commons are worth your average pack in dust. Dust 'em all!

And yet your average pack does not contain a golden common.

If you think you're going to play the game long term, it makes more sense to hold onto the golden playables. Crafting gold cards is insanely expensive. By all means, dust your golden mindgames or golden holy wrath, but I'd definitely hold on to a golden harvest golem.

Hardly. Wild Pyro is not sufficient as a board clear unless you have two spells, so best case you'd have coin+pw:s, which requires two particular cards in your early draw. Circle+Soulpriest also requires two cards. Holy Nova is very expensive at 5 mana, so it often comes too late. Those board clears are far from guaranteed. If you think priest is so good maybe you should try them out yourself?

fuckkkkkkk, had a sick a wicked game against a control warrior, awesome back and forth and i managed to pull ysera at the exact perfect time to swing the battle, had the warrior completely wiped, had two yseras on the board after a faceless, 11 health, he had a 4/1 twilight drake on the board.

I had been keeping an ooze from my starting hand, waiting for the inevitable gorehowl. I played the entire game in such a way as to be mana efficient but always leave the chance open for an ooze. The very last card he draws? Gorehowl... 7 + 4 = 11 GG NO RE.

The salt is real.

johnsmith

remember me
Hardly. Wild Pyro is not sufficient as a board clear unless you have two spells, so best case you'd have coin+pw:s, which requires two particular cards in your early draw. Circle+Soulpriest also requires two cards. Holy Nova is very expensive at 5 mana, so it often comes too late. Those board clears are far from guaranteed. If you think priest is so good maybe you should try them out yourself?

No thanks. I'd rather lose in 5 minutes than win in 20. I might try a midrange board control priest with naxx though.

Every priest I play is just too damn lucky. I know their combos, and they can always pull them off. Am I running loot hoarders? Then this priest is running shadow madness. Harvest golems are dead cards after turn 6 in my druid deck because of course he had a cabal in his hand.

Just played a priest. He played 3 aoes in a row! Holy nova, holy nova, soul + circle. Seriously, screw this class and everybody who plays it.

And now I play a 2nd priest back to back. fuck this game. I'm cursed.

JesseZao

And yet your average pack does not contain a golden common.

If you think you're going to play the game long term, it makes more sense to hold onto the golden playables. Crafting gold cards is insanely expensive. By all means, dust your golden mindgames or golden holy wrath, but I'd definitely hold on to a golden harvest golem.

An average pack is 40-50 dust. A golden common gives 50. I'll take the dust.

I just don't care about goldens anymore. I'll never craft one.

Raxus

I only care for a handful of goldens. Especially now that I reached a point where I have nearly every card I need. I just need 1 more legendary and want a handful more (all class) and I want a handful of epics but I can almost build every deck in the current meta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom