• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well, Trump actually did a lot for the community with his arena tier list and F2P decks. Those are great resources for beginners.

Reynad... not so much. All he contributes is memes, and salt.

Ikkarus

I'm really looking forward to the Nax cards arriving, it should bring in a wave of freshness which has been lacking.

I wonder how long it will take for broken combos to start with the new cards!

zoukka

I'm really looking forward to the Nax cards arriving, it should bring in a wave of freshness which has been lacking.

Yeah I hope it freshens the Arena as well, I've been kinda bored with it lately. Though it's an inherent flaw in the arena itself because there's no interactivity in the drafting process.

GeoGonzo

Yeah I hope it freshens the Arena as well, I've been kinda bored with it lately. Though it's an inherent flaw in the arena itself because there's no interactivity in the drafting process.
I wonder if the often suggested idea of drafting for example 40 and then discarding 10 would lead to more diversity (allowing some more combos) or less (if people simply discard bad cards and just keep all the yetis).

Ikkarus

I wonder if the often suggested idea of drafting for example 40 and then discarding 10 would lead to more diversity (allowing some more combos) or less (if people simply discard bad cards and just keep all the yetis).
I like the sound of that as well. It would allow you to finer tune your deck.

Some people are really bad at playing their netdecks. Played a double SR+FON ramp druid and he wasted both combos to clear board when at least the second time he should have went for face since I had like... 2 cards left. He would have beat me next turn with board.

edit:

Also I am playing a wonky paladin deck and already spent leeroy. No possible wombo combos left at all. The match dragged out like another 5 turns where I could have won.

edit2:

My wonky paladin deck could become a bit more viable once naxx comes out. I already have more than a few deathrattles in the deck. I could throw avenge in, undertaker, and suddenly have a token deathrattle deck.

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
The only big decks that need to be addressed is giants and miracle.

My main issue is with murloc decks. I think they're way worse than regular warlock zoo. Regular zoo I can handle ok. Murloc decks just seem to have way more synergy with all the stupid murloc buffs. It just seems like they get out of control too quickly to deal with. I don't know that I've ever been able to beat one. However, I really don't see too many of them these days.

Am I the only one who has issues with them? I'm surprised I don't see more of them on the ladder so I'm assuming for some reason they've fallen out of favor?

Whenever I hear that "Mmrrrggglee" it makes my blood run cold and I just want to concede.

I have a feeling this priest was a bit salty after the match.

paladinvpriestsalts.png

Constructed, just casual mode cause this deck I threw together is not even remotely close to being relied upon for wins. Also I am pretty noob when it comes to paladin match ups in general.

That ragnaros stayed alive for like 6 rounds btw (already used both stampeding kodos for board development, and hit 1/1s for like every shot except 1 face hit and taking out one 3/3. Then I topdecked my azure drake into a BOK and won.

The goal for my deck is to flood the field and just burst damage due to BOK + BOM. I also have leeroy and faceless to combo with BOM for 18 damage.

Threw divine favors in and got pretty good value out of it. The other aspect of the deck is 4 secrets, and with the other 1 cost cards I can cycle pretty well with divine favor.

I feel like I need to squeeze more value out of tokens before this deck can actually be considered decent.

So far I think stormwind champion could be viable for that.

Already got DOA + dire wolf alpha.

edit:
Wish I had tirion to just throw into the deck lol

frequency

People want to say Trump is bland or has no personality or whatever, but 20,000+ people every day would disagree with you.

And people really can't be serious with implying it's just because his name is more known and people basically worship him because his name is attached to some F2P decks and stuff.

It's fine if you don't really like a personality. No need to be a jerk about it though.

SteveWD40

My main issue is with murloc decks. I think they're way worse than regular warlock zoo. Regular zoo I can handle ok. Murloc decks just seem to have way more synergy with all the stupid murloc buffs. It just seems like they get out of control too quickly to deal with. I don't know that I've ever been able to beat one. However, I really don't see too many of them these days.

Am I the only one who has issues with them? I'm surprised I don't see more of them on the ladder so I'm assuming for some reason they've fallen out of favor?

Whenever I hear that "Mmrrrggglee" it makes my blood run cold and I just want to concede.

When they get the perfect starting hand it's nigh on impossible without a lot of taunts / removal being in your starter. The synergy is the killer, when they get 4-5 minions above 3 health by turn 4 it's all downhill.

Good part is, they run out of steam faster than Zoo, if the initial rush dies and it goes to turn 5+ they tend to just concede.

People want to say Trump is bland or has no personality or whatever, but 20,000+ people every day would disagree with you.

And people really can't be serious with implying it's just because his name is more known and people basically worship him because his name is attached to some F2P decks and stuff.

It's fine if you don't really like a personality. No need to be a jerk about it though.

I don't think he has a bland personality. He is just a humble person and he doesn't change himself to be more entertaining.

I don't know him personally of course, but that is the feeling I get about him.

Ek0p is just arrogant and jealous. Definitely jealous. The way he talked in that video about how lots of people like trump but he just isn't one of them was a clear indication to me that he is jealous of trump's success and popularity. The other thing is he also called him a greedy bastard, but I've never seen anything even close to greed coming from trump...

I don't watch trump a whole lot, but ek0p always comes off as an "internet badass" like a "look at me I do and say thing for attention and to make a name for myself" type of guy. Either way, everyone has their own motives so what makes ek0p better than trump.

There is nothing wrong with not liking someone though. I just don't think this is coming from merely disliking the guy. It comes from a more negative place from what I can tell.

Trump is super sincere and seems like a real sweetheart. He's like the opposite of what you expect from an esports guy, but that makes him 1000% more watchable than the angsty big-ego bro streamers that abound. Even if he's not the best player in the world, I'd rather watch him than someone who rages out after an unlucky draw. Also, he's a pretty damned good player, so whatever. I look forward to his videos every day and he's probably the only streamer, of any game, that I would recommend to my friends.

Water

Three straight packs have been 100% redundant commons and rares, so something like 60 dust per pack? Disgustingly inefficient. I feel like throwing the next 150g at arena instead of packs, at least it tends to give dust in addition to a pack.

I'm still missing even many usable commons, plus handful of rares + epics that I'll need for the next decks I'm going for. Don't want to dust a leg (no matter how bad) to craft a Sunfury or a Watcher that I'm bound to open from a pack the following day.

SteveWD40

Trump is the only streamer I watch, such a chill guy and I have learned a lot from him.

I do love the Funny / Unlucky moments video series as well.

Edit: finally got enough dust for Cairne, having dusted Nozdormu (had that one twice, one golden that got me Ysera and one plain).

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
They nerfed all the Freeze cards in December, realized it wasn't enough, then promptly nerfed Pyroblast in January.

Freeze Mage went into cryogenic stasis until this month, and with the rise of aggro/burst, it came back with a vengeance.

That's the other thing. We've been getting new deck techs in response to the meta every month or so. May? Lifecoach, two Miracles variants, Gaara Ramp, Shockadin. June? Amaz Priest, Velen Priest, Freeze Mage, anti-Miracle Rogues, Face Warrior.

Seriously, the meta has never been healthier. Don't blame the game, blame copy pastarino culture.

Why you no mention us token druids haly... :*(

zoukka

It's a snowball effect. Sure if your personality sucks, you might not live long in the e-sports community, but the popular casters from any e-sports vary a lot. Some offer nothing worthwile imo.

Haly

Why you no mention us token druids haly... :*(

Token druids isn't new, I think it's been around since... shit I can't remember. Point is, it's an old deck, although the Violet Teacher + Force of Nature + Savage Roar is kind of newish.

Then again I did mention Gaara ramp so I guess Token bears mentioning as well.

frequency

Where did the Prison Trump meme come from? I haven't watched him since he started playing freeze mage.

Trump does a lot of fun things.

When people started jokingly saying that Trump wasn’t on stream because he was in prison, Trump created “Prison Trump”. On Halloween, Trump put on a beanie and sunglasses to become a hardened criminal with a huge ego that loves to BM his opponents. He also made an appearance on Thanksgiving.

Here's a VOD:
http://www.twitch.tv/trumpsc/b/483551556

Minsc

Gold Member
I'd be surprised if Naxx gave more than 4 hours of gameplay per week/wing. That'd be what, 25-50 battles @ 5-10 minutes a battle (AI doesn't take 2 min turns). Even that sounds like a lot, it might be a good deal less than 4 hours per wing. Unless they make you replay the wings a ton of times of course, but that doesn't sound like it'd be incredibly fun.

Badgerst3

Still learning this beast.

Is there any advantage to grinding/beating the AI on expert?

And does your current level matter when you enter Arena?

Thought in arena the cards are randomly generated? Are they maybe randomly generated from the pool of cards available to that heros level/cards you have earned.

Finally how do ranked matches pair you up? Also based on level?

Still learning this beast.

Is there any advantage to grinding/beating the AI on expert?

And does your current level matter when you enter Arena?

Thought in arena the cards are randomly generated? Are they maybe randomly generated from the pool of cards available to that heros level/cards you have earned.

Finally how do ranked matches pair you up? Also based on level?

Not really. Just reach level ten on each class then play ranked (its easier than casual)

Ranked doesn't matter in arena.

It's random. It doesn't select from the pool you own. However it wont select non class cards (Mages will not ever get Druid cards for example)

Ranked pairs you up based on level and mmr? Not sure about the second part.

Haly

Another note abote arena card randomness. You are guarenteed at least a rare card to pick for picks 1, 10, 20, and 30.

I knew about 30 and 1, but I never noticed the other ones.

That recency bias.

depths20XX

So when they have tournaments like this Well Played Cup, what's to stop the players from just watching the stream and cheating? Is it just a good faith system?

Never really thought about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom