• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
I'll take a long break from this game after the Naxx release and wait for the first real expansion, which will probably take them another 6-9 months at the very least

NBtoaster

Sometimes I am frustrated with this game beyond words. Other times I Far Sight into a turn 6 Ysera against a Priest and then steal an Azure Drake with Leeroy+Mind Control Tech. The drones that play Zoo and Miracle know nothing of that joy!

I'll take a long break from this game after the Naxx release and wait for the first real expansion, which will probably take them another 6-9 months at the very least

I have a feeling the burnout after Naxx will come REAL quick. Just not enough cards, and the content output is too slow

Tarazet

Been playing Kolento Hunter lately. I like to play smart and control the board early, then from turn 5 try to figure out how to end the game. Main issue I'm running into is that it doesn't have any sweepers, but the win rate has still been excellent because it demolishes Freeze Mage. I win almost every game by using Flare to destroy an Ice Block.

zoukka

Rank 5 with a win so brutal I think this Handlock has never seen (he had taunted up giants and drakes too).

VCMTjuZ.jpg

soldat7

I have a feeling the burnout after Naxx will come REAL quick. Just not enough cards, and the content output is too slow

That and I'm wondering if Blizzard is happy with the revenue from the game....it's almost silly to spend money in the current model. Maybe they should have charged $9.99 and kept the current monetization model intact...

I just hope that there is sufficient economic motivation for Blizzard to step up the content delivery.

That and I'm wondering if Blizzard is happy with the revenue from the game....it's almost silly to spend money in the current model. Maybe they should have charged $9.99 and kept the current monetization model intact...

I just hope that there is sufficient economic motivation for Blizzard to step up the content delivery.

Hearthstone is doing them fine. Like all F2P games, it's the whales that are feeding the game, and the whales want gold decks. I've seen several in my ladder climbs, so I know there are people out there keeping them fat and happy.

Minsc

Gold Member

I'd estimate it to have made a dozen or two million by now and it's probably bringing in over 1 million a month easily (maybe seeing spikes to 5M/month in months where there's new content to buy). It's been in the 10th-20th spot of top grossing apps consistently since launch on iOS over a month ago (currently #24), which alone is worth quite a bit, and it really hasn't done anything since launch as far as giving people a reason to spend money. If they never release any new content, it'll slowly fade out to nothing.

Strider

What I really find odd is the top in app purchase on the iPad version is arena admission. It's so easy to get the gold for it but people are happy just paying the $1.50. That money adds up along with packs and given the popularity of this game I'd imagine Blizz is more than happy with the revenue it's producing.

Minsc

Gold Member
Do we know how many people are playing? I don't think I remember seeing an article or anything on that yet.

They had said they had over 10 million accounts before the iPad launch, so a fairly safe guess is they probably have 2-5 million active players now (people who play at least a few times a week) with a few million more on the way when Android hits.

They had said they had over 10 million accounts before the iPad launch, so a fairly safe guess is they probably have 2-5 million active players now (people who play at least a few times a week) with a few million more on the way when Android hits.

Crazy. That's pretty quick for a new game, but I suppose it is from Blizzard. Then again, they did have both a closed and open beta as well.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hearthstone is doing them fine. Like all F2P games, it's the whales that are feeding the game, and the whales want gold decks. I've seen several in my ladder climbs, so I know there are people out there keeping them fat and happy.

It's actually not, not to my knowledge anyway.

Whales are nice, but what really makes F2P profitable are the average users who spend $5 here or there, every few weeks. That consistent revenue is what F2P hinges on, not the big spenders.

Violet_0

Banned
one of the big problems with hearthstone is the lack of new content in the near future. I mean, we probably get Naxx soon(tm) with thirty-something new cards and a fun singleplayer mode,but who knows how long we'll have to wait for the next expansion. As someone who's played the game since October in closed beta, I'm really getting tired of the very limited card pool and I can't see myself spending much time with the game in the coming months

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
one of the big problems with hearthstone is the lack of new content in the near future. I mean, we probably get Naxx soon(tm) with thirty-something new cards and a fun singleplayer mode,but who knows how long we'll have to wait for the next expansion. As someone who's played the game since October in closed beta, I'm really getting tired of the very limited card pool and I can't see myself spending much time with the game in the coming months
Nax release date and pricing will be announced this week.

GET HYPE

I am playing a deck I am working on for lock and just had an interesting match.

Playing vs paladin, I had like 3 cards left in my deck including leeroy. He has 26ish hp but no cards in hand and only 1 1/1 recruit.

I have 4 hp and I know he has like 5 different cards at least in his deck he could kill me with next turn.

I have gadgetzan and a molten giant. I play poweroverwhelming on gadgetzan, shadowbolt his 1/1. I hit him for 16 damage. He is down to 10.

I have 1 card left in my deck and I recognize that it had to be leeroy, 6 mana, and 2 soulfires in hand. Soulfire face, draw my leeroy and hit for lethal.

Deck needs ton of work still but it is meant to be a midrange/combo lock deck, alternative to handlock. I call it Change Lock.

edit:

I wish I had pit lords and jaraxxus for this deck tho =(

Oh wow, this match vs miracle rogue as my warlock.

Turn 3 I play mukla bringing him to 9 cards.

The moron saps it. I play it again causing him full hand.

Then he plays banana on mukla, hits face with dagger, and eviscerates which of course doesn't kill him because banana brought him to 6 (dagger + eviscerate = 5).

I've never seen such bad plays ever before. I guess miracle rogue does take an iota of intelligence to play (jk).

you could google Kolento's super secret tactic deck, which was basically that idea.

I think I've seen that deck. Is it the one that uses arcane golem + 2x PO, faceless?

Either way I am more into building my own deck :p

edit:
My deck is way different in design. I even have corruptionx2 heheh.

Still not sure if I want to keep gadgetzan or put azure drake though. I might remove an auctioneer though since I don't feel it is necessary for me to have 2.

Just did the following 28 damage combo:

leeroy, poweroverwhelming, faceless, double soulfire.

Sucks to be you, paladin!

I even had like 9 card hand so pretty high chance for that to work but if it failed I feel like I had a huge advantage having two molten giants, such a huge hand, and nearly full hp myself. I think I was at max hand size.

Further proof Leeroy is bullshit.

I don't think it was bullshit. I mean I was at like 28 hp with 10 cards in hand on turn 10. I don't even feel like that was a cheap win. I felt like I played that match very well.

When I designed that deck I didn't even think of relying on a combo like that.

Also, just fyi...

bluegill + poweroverwhelming x2 + faceless + soulfire x2 is the same amount of damage for 1 less mana.

Oops double posted, meant to edit last post.

How many don't require leeroy/other prerequisites?

Like the one above with bluegill,

Just replace with arcane golem or wolfrider and add 1 mana to the cost, but with more damage.

arcane golem + 2xPO + faceless = 24, +2xsoulfire = 32

Wolfrider has 1 less attack power so it comes to be a clean 30

So that is 3 other combos without leeroy :)

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
1BZ7L7L.jpg

Just opened the pack of my life. Really needed that Grommash too, I dread warrior quests since my deck is so terrible.

Special C

As slow as cards are coming I don't think building an entire expansion around one mechanic (deathrattle) is such a great idea. We need something well rounded for the first influx of new cards.

Minsc

Gold Member
As slow as cards are coming I don't think building an entire expansion around one mechanic (deathrattle) is such a great idea. We need something well rounded for the first influx of new cards.

It's not an expansion, it's just a PVE adventure. It's only bringing in a single class card per class, and two dozen neutrals. At best it'd just be a mish-mash of randomness if it didn't have some sort of focus being only 30 cards. The first expansion will be ~150 cards (maybe more if they get ambitious like with the first PVE content), and that will be what brings a well rounded mix of cards.

CoolOff

This Miracle thought it was a good idea to Fan of Knives twice (!) 4 minions when 2 of them where Armorsmiths. He was kind of backed into a corner, but still funny nonetheless. He gave up when I reached 44 armor.

This Miracle thought it was a good idea to Fan of Knives twice (!) 4 minions when 2 of them where Armorsmiths. He was kind of backed into a corner, but still funny nonetheless. He gave up when I reached 44 armor.

I was watching someone stream yesterday who had a warlock shadowflame his board of like 6 minions with 2 armor smiths. It was just absolutely necessary to avoid dying, but at the same time pretty much ensuring a win outside of some extreme unkillable wall taunt replacements and then somehow winning by fatigue I guess.

It's not an expansion, it's just a PVE adventure. It's only bringing in a single class card per class, and two dozen neutrals. At best it'd just be a mish-mash of randomness if it didn't have some sort of focus being only 30 cards. The first expansion will be ~150 cards (maybe more if they get ambitious like with the first PVE content), and that will be what brings a well rounded mix of cards.

What year should we look forward to that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom