• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I felt like trying out black knight in opening hand vs druid. 10 turns... not a single taunt. I ended up playing him on like turn 8 or 9 or something. But I had an assassinate and sap in hand so I wasn't that worried.

Then the druid kept healing himself dragging out the match like 5 hp heal from ancient of lore is gonna stop my deck :D

Okay, seriously?

Argent Squire + Coin + Cold Blood.

The fuck.

Paladins do the same thing with blessing of might.

It is a bit stronger than succubus but then again succubus only requires the one card.

I think of it like a succubus though because the combo of AS + CB takes 2 cards and 2 mana, and succubus takes 1 card 2 mana 1 discard, so effectively 2 card cost. It should be slightly stronger though because it is a combo.

zoukka

u96azj7.jpg

Welcome to Magetown Arena.

zoukka

Plus a druid or rogue may face tank the damage to get rid of the squire asap. That means you're getting more value out of blessing of might.

Yeah but that's a rationale of "yeah it's great if my opponent plays wrong". And using a coin for the cold blood is not being mana efficient since you can just do it next turn as well.

Yeah but that's a rationale of "yeah it's great if my opponent plays wrong". And using a coin for the cold blood is not being mana efficient since you can just do it next turn as well.

I actually don't think it is wrong to face tank a hit from a cold blooded argent squire. You're going to take two hits either way. Rather take two hits than three. Probably finish it off with wrath

I could see the rationale in doing as+coin+CB turn 1. If you get 2 hits, which you probably will, that is really good value out of 2 mana. And 8 damage that early really makes an impact in the mid to late game.

As a rogue facing it, I've often been lucky enough to have at least backstab so I limit the hit to 1, or a sap which trades pretty well since BOM is lost for good and AS isn't a huge threat on its own of course. When I have been really lucky, I'll have backstab and SI7 agent. But still most of the time the face damage is worth removing the threat otherwise it is probably game over if actually gets 12-15 damage (depending on coldblood vs bom) in in the first 4 turns.

frequency

It seems Ek0p is back on Twitch after his failed Azubu thing.

Also my MMR is too high now (or I'm having some terrible luck?). I'm constantly coming up against the usual netdecks now with my terrible self made low cost decks.
Well, hopefully I have enough gold saved up for Naxx (about 2700). Dailies are too hard now.

(Stealth brag! No, I'm actually terrible. I've just been playing a long time.)

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/13271477080#13

Aratil
Community Manager

Just wanted to give everyone a head's up that we are currently targeting to release Curse of Naxxramas during the month of July. Unfortunately, we still have a lot of implementing and bug fixing to get through, so please stay tuned!

With that said, we are also targeting to reveal pricing details regarding Curse of Naxxramas next week on July 1st, so please keep an eye out for that.

Strider

Well met!

Anyway, this was my post at the end of last month.

So my first season I finished rank 12. In the 2nd I finished rank 8. Improvement Gaf, improvement. Next month I aim for 6. Baby steps towards legend (hopefully).

Om97005.jpg

Goal accomplished so I'm done with ranked for the month. Gonna craft some weird gimmick decks and play casual.

I got a lot better this month. Played mostly control instead of the aggro decks I had been playing which is the way to go if you really want to get better.

Also look at that poor number on the bottom right :( I only have 2 friends on battle.net and they are hardly ever on. If any of you want to play sometime send me a PM with your battle.net

TomServo

I stopped at rank 6. Got tired of playing zoo, but I'm still missing key cards for tempo rogue and midrange hunter, and still learning tempo warrior, so I've been playing them in casual.

I stopped at rank 6. Got tired of playing zoo, but I'm still missing key cards for tempo rogue and midrange hunter, and still learning tempo warrior, so I've been playing them in casual.

I don't think tempo really has key cards outside of perhaps si7 agent and eviscerate. Maybe defias ringleader? I don't always run that so I don't consider it a key card tbh. I guess coldblood... leeroy...

Anyway, what are you missing for tempo rogue?

TomServo

I don't think tempo really has key cards outside of perhaps si7 agent and eviscerate. Maybe defias ringleader? I don't always run that so I don't consider it a key card tbh. I guess coldblood... leeroy...

Anyway, what are you missing for tempo rogue?

I only have one si7 agent, no defias ringleaders, no cold bloods... I did pull two patient assassins from packs though.

I've had really bad luck with packs. I've been playing since the ipad release, have done every daily quest since, and bought $20 worth of packs to jump start (figuring that's how much I'd pay for an MtG starter deck). I've gotten just about every bad rare and epic in the game, which means every key neutral card has been crafted. DoA, azure drakes, argent commanders, you name it, I've had to craft it. I'm probably nearing 100 packs opened now, and the only legendaries I've pulled are Grom and BK.

Basically, I have to be careful about spending dust on non-neutral cards.

Play a PERFECT game against a frost mage... Keeping the pressure up so he can't go for my face. Plays an alexstrasza on me, I play lay of hands and the next turn a farseer healer and truesilver champion, recovering 13 of the 15 damage he did to me all while keeping his board clear. Get him down to 2 HP with a rag and 4 minions on the field, and of course ice block. No big deal, he also tosses a fireball and frost bolt on my face. So now I have to wait a turn to kill him and of course he has the other frost bolt, fireball, and 2 ice lances in hand for 17 damage.

There is nothing more painfully frustrating than having a deck specifically designed to counter the BS, get almost every card imaginable that does counter it, and STILL end up dying to it.

Violet_0

Banned
stopped at rank 5 weeks ago. Having only one Keeper, Ancient of War, Ancient of Lore, no Cenarius is just uggghhh

at least I got another Faceless recently after having disenchanted my first one for whatever stupid reason

What's a good Rogue card, or rather combination of cards, to have against Zoo / Aggro? I have two Fans and a Blade Flurry, but that doesn't seem to be enough. I just have my custom deck I'm running and I do fine against more control / defensive decks, so I'm wondering if there's anything I can add for the other side of the spectrum.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What's a good Rogue card, or rather combination of cards, to have against Zoo / Aggro? I have two Fans and a Blade Flurry, but that doesn't seem to be enough. I just have my custom deck I'm running and I do fine against more control / defensive decks, so I'm wondering if there's anything I can add for the other side of the spectrum.

Is this tempo or miracle?

This is the baseline of anti-aggro:
2 Backstab
2 Deadly Poison
2 Eviscerate
2 Fan of Knives
2 Blade Flurry
2 SI:7 Agent

If this is not enough you can add:
1-2 Perdition Blade
1 Betrayal
1-2 Defias Ringleader

Neutral cards that are anti-aggro and Rogue-friendly
Argent Squire
Faerie Dragon
Knife Juggler
Loot Hoarder
Harvest Golem
Shattered Sun Cleric
Chillwind Yeti
Scarlet Crusader (not sure about this one but it works in theory)
Sen'jin Shieldmasta
Defender of Argus
Dread Corsair (this is a very niche strategy and not recommended)

Honestly, Rogue is one of the best anti-aggro classes in the game, because all its best cards peak in the first 4 turns, which is also Aggro's most critical turns. Likely, you're mulliganing wrong or not being aggressive enough with disrupting their board. Don't be afraid to cast Eviscerate for 2 damage on a 3/2 minion if there's nothing else to do. Pretend it's a Frostbolt or Lightning bolt, which Mage and Shaman respectively use all the time on 2-cost aggressive minions like Knife Juggler, Amani Berserker, Flame Imp, Dire Wolf Alpha, etc. It might leave a bad taste in your mouth expending a potential 4 damage to take out a 2 health card, but think of the opportunity cost and you'll see that it makes sense in the long run. There's no point in saving Eviscerates if you don't survive long enough to chain them for the win, and both Miracle and Tempo have many other routes to victory than Eviscerate to the face.

Is this tempo or miracle?

It's more Miracle-ish than Tempo. It's based around drawing cards with minions over the auctioneer. I do use Evis early when I can, and things go well when I do clear, but I feel like I loose a lot of steam even if I end up getting good board clears.

The only cards I'm missing from your list would be one Blade Flurry and the Agents. I'm thinking about switching out the poisons and the flurry for some other cards. They're really good, but I think something like a Pyromancer that I can combo with other spells a lot easier would work out better. It's also possible that it's just a draw back of the deck. I do have some unneeded cards I can move out and around though.

If you're more curious about the deck, here is my current iteration. The only thing not pictured is the Black Knight. As well, I really appreciate the help. This is the first deck I've made that (almost) made it to rank 10, which is my old record. Of course, this was near the end of the season, so it might just be because all of the good players are already higher than 10.

In any case, it's been a lot of fun making my own deck, changing it around, and seeing if I can keep making it better.

Haly

Pyromancer kind of works, although it's not my preferred method, because you have no way to keep him alive (unlike Priest) to get additional value out of him. Rogue also plays with a lot of low toughness creatures, which has anti-synergy with Pyromancer, although since your build is self-professed pseudo-Miracle, that might not be a problem.

The SI:7 Agents are super important why I think you're struggling. They, along with Deadly Poison and Backstab, form the core of just about every Rogue deck in existence. I would never, ever, ever, remove Deadly Poison, although you can sub out Bladeflurry. On the contrary, Fan of Knives is frequently a dead card against Zoo UNLESS you have Thalnos/Azure Drake. It is commonly the first thing people drop from Rogue lists when they desperately need something else.

I forgot to mention one more card: Earthen Ring Farseer

Having two of those will go a long way towards stabilizing against Aggro. If you run Shadowstep, then you can get away with a single ERF.

One last thing. Curi, a LiquidHearth player/writer, created his own semi-Miracle Rogue deck, partially in response to the prevalence of Aggro on the ladder. Check it out: http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/constructed-strategy/458067-curis-semi-miracle-rogue

EDIT: From your list, I would remove one Cold Blood, and one Fan of Knives before you do anything else. Sub out Novice Engineer for Loot Hoarder (they do the same thing, really, but Loot Hoarder is better earlier on), and maybe Wolfrider for Gnomish Inventor if you feel like you're not drawing enough cards. Wolf Rider really isn't strong enough for semi-Miracle (Arcane Golem is a lot better). It's more of a Face Aggro card.

johnsmith

remember me
Love watching trump lose when he plays freeze mage. That deck is the worst thing in the world. People said miracle rogue was playing solitaire? Not even close, freeze mage is.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So what's the deal with Savagery, as a card? It seriously seems like it's one of the worst cards in the game, but it's a rare class card. And it's not even a joke card like angry chicken. Why does this card exist, exactly?

I'm terrible at this game. Can't seem to get a grasp on how to play against different people, shit like that. Any good resources I could read? I can find shit like decks but I'm wanting to really get an understanding for how all the pieces work and then I can go from there. Any suggestions?

Aylinato

So what's the deal with Savagery, as a card? It seriously seems like it's one of the worst cards in the game, but it's a rare class card. And it's not even a joke card like angry chicken. Why does this card exist, exactly?

Well, if Druid really wanted to be anti rush they could run two of those and the face smashing things and just snipe down units, however swipe is wayyyyyyyy better(and one card)

Haly

I'm terrible at this game. Can't seem to get a grasp on how to play against different people, shit like that. Any good resources I could read? I can find shit like decks but I'm wanting to really get an understanding for how all the pieces work and then I can go from there. Any suggestions?

Literally everything on this page: http://www.liquidhearth.com/guides/

iirate

Savagery used to be much more powerful, because it hit everything for the Druid's attack and Bite was cheaper too. That combo was game-breaking, and Savagery was over-nerfed in response.

Note that this is ancient history as far as Hearthstone goes - if I remember correctly, this all happened before closed beta last summer, when tournaments were still on Cockatrice.

Badgerst3

Just tried arena for the first time. Level 17 hunter.

Ass handed to me. Thought I had the basics down.

Arena draws are totally random right? Not based on level...?

Others seemed to get way better cards than me.

I read the starter guide linked on title page, thought I had enough game.

Suggestions?

Blizzard delays releasing Naxxramas pricing info.

My reaction: What moron at Blizzard decided it was a good idea to release pricing info so early? The longer people know the price, the more time people have to save up gold. You want people spending money, not gold.

My 2nd reaction: I have a very strong feeling that Naxxramas will cost way more gold than people think. (but not cost way more money. It'll be a larger gold:$ ratio than packs. Blizzard wants more of an incentive to spend money)

Haly

Hunter is a lackluster Arena class. In order of Arena strength:

Mage
Paladin
Shaman
Rogue (but you need to be really good at playing Rogue)
Druid
Hunter
Warrior
Warlock
Priest

Correct.

It's random, sometimes you get good cards, sometimes other people get good cards.

Getting good cards is only half the game, you need to create a good deck too, which usually means a good curve, leveraging your classes strengths, and understanding what other classes do.

One game and some articles isn't nearly enough to become good at Arena. Keep in mind that the matchmaking is almost completely random, so you're probably being paired up against people who have been playing Arena for months,
Suggestions?
Play more. Read more. Use this site: http://arenavalue.com/

And try to learn from your games.

Rockyrock

Ass handed to me. Thought I had the basics down.

Suggestions?

Your hero level really doesn't matter above level 10.

as for arena yes all the draws are random. Some times you'll get good draws, sometimes you won't. Has nothing to with anyone's level.

It's really hard to synergize in arena so drafting a lot of minions with good value is always a good bet.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Savagery used to be much more powerful, because it hit everything for the Druid's attack and Bite was cheaper too. That combo was game-breaking, and Savagery was over-nerfed in response.

Note that this is ancient history as far as Hearthstone goes - if I remember correctly, this all happened before closed beta last summer, when tournaments were still on Cockatrice.

Yeah, I mean at this point I don't see Savagery being used in any deck ever. You'd basically need a spellpower / bite / claw deck and nobody runs a deck like that for Druid.

zoukka

Make savagery give 1 attack to your hero and suddenly it's a great little removal spell instead of being the worst card ever.

zoukka

Love watching trump lose when he plays freeze mage. That deck is the worst thing in the world. People said miracle rogue was playing solitaire? Not even close, freeze mage is.

I'd rather play nothing but Miracles and Freeze mages than to face another Druid ramp or Zoo. Talk about mindless boring decks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom