• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarazet

Just opened the pack of my life. Really needed that Grommash too, I dread warrior quests since my deck is so terrible.

Grom is a great win condition, but also pretty awkward since he requires aggressive play to get the opponent to 12 health, can't be played until turn 8, and requires Inner Rage to reach his full potential on that turn (unless something weird happens like getting played into a Snipe/Explosive Trap). Even so.. if you don't have Grom you really can't play Control Warrior.

How many people play spell power rogue like I do? I think it is still viable in the current meta because of being flexible enough to kill off minions pretty well. Half the time it is a war of attrition but sometimes when you can make it to malygos + conceal and survive into the next turn, the fireworks can be set off.

Backstab × 2
Preparation × 1
Deadly Poison × 2
Sinister Strike × 2
Blade Flurry × 1
Eviscerate × 2
Shiv × 2
Fan of Knives × 2
Betrayal x 2
Conceal x 1

Kobold Geomancer x 2
Dalaran Mage x 2
Taz Dingo x 2
Azure Drake x 2
Gadgetzan x 2
Malygos x 1

I'd really like to get Bloodmage Thalnos in there obviously. Maybe even Leeroy but he probably isn't necessary. So far my biggest crank out on turn was 33 damage, bet the 28 health hunter was pretty surprised haha.

Tarazet

How many people play spell power rogue like I do? I think it is still viable in the current meta because of being flexible enough to kill off minions pretty well. Half the time it is a war of attrition but sometimes when you can make it to malygos + conceal and survive into the next turn, the fireworks can be set off.

I'd really like to get Bloodmage Thalnos in there obviously. Maybe even Leeroy but he probably isn't necessary. So far my biggest crank out on turn was 33 damage, bet the 28 health hunter was pretty surprised haha.

I'm missing Preparation, don't even have one copy after all these months. How much do you really need it? I read the text and just think, "I'd rather have a better card in that slot instead of something that you just throw away for another card."

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Prep is a bad card if you're not combining it with Auctioneer or some kind of card draw (Sprint, for example, not that I would ever use Sprint in Constructed). It's just negative card advantage for a very slight tempo increase. Considering most of Rogue's best spells are 1-2 mana, it's not even efficient.

At least Innervate can be used to pump out creatures 2 turns earlier than normal. What use would you really have for a turn 1 Eviscerate? A turn 3 Vanish?

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
I just found out you can do the Total Dominance quest (win 7 games for 100 gold) in Practice Mode.

Nice. I wouldn't have thought that'd be allowed. I usually just double Total Dominance up with my other quests to save time though. Can you do all the other quests in practice mode?

Usually if I don't have the right cards to put together a good deck for a class I just throw something together and try to push through enough casual matches. It seems though that even in casual everyone is netdecking the same decks you find in ladder. Which kind of defeats the purpose of casual and makes doing daily quests a bitch sometimes.

Haly

Nice. I wouldn't have thought that'd be allowed. I usually just double Total Dominance up with my other quests to save time though. Can you do all the other quests in practice mode?

No, the game is inconsistent like that.

Tarazet

Prep is a bad card if you're not combining it with Auctioneer or some kind of card draw (Sprint, for example, not that I would ever use Sprint in Constructed). It's just negative card advantage for a very slight tempo increase. Considering most of Rogue's best spells are 1-2 mana, it's not even efficient.

At least Innervate can be used to pump out creatures 2 turns earlier than normal. What use would you really have for a turn 1 Eviscerate? A turn 3 Vanish?

I know... and a turn 4 Sprint would be desperation given how many better cards there are in that slot. But without Prep, I haven't tried to play Miracle because it's kind of central to how it works, buffing Van Cleef and all that. I just do Tempo.

Haly

I know... and a turn 4 Sprint would be desperation given how many better cards there are in that slot. But without Prep, I haven't tried to play Miracle because it's kind of central to how it works, buffing Van Cleef and all that. I just do Tempo.

Yeah, you need Prep for Miracle but it's fine to cut for Tempo. I actually got by with a single Prep for Miracle for the longest time.

Canon

Banned
The first legendary.

rXacCgB.jpg

Also 1 rare and 1 epic.

Haly

Lol this fucking Arena mage.

"Woops, I'm sorry, Woops, I'm sorry..."

As she plays 2 Frost Bolts and 2 Ice Lances to the face for the win.

Playing arena on EU and got the worst rogue draft ever. Offered me secretkeeper, bloodsail corsair, and random murloc as a rare three times in a row. For an epic, it decided to offer me kidnapper, mountain giant or patient assassin. The deck did not disappoint me and it went a quick 0-3.

What's with everyone stalling for time and taking the maximum amount of time for each turn in unranked? I just want to finish my daily I can just concede without penalty and I don't have to give a shit about your trolling... it makes no sense.

Salex_

Soooo is this what the game is all about now? Mindless rushdown and 20+ direct/non direct damage turn combos?

I recently came back and got to rank 12 for the new season and I'm playng these decks every single match. Feels like Im playing a single player game lol.

I wish there were more defensive options. It feels terrible when you clear the board against a Rouge only to lose 15+ direct damage on the next turn.

Haly

I wish there were more defensive options. It feels terrible when you clear the board against a Rouge only to lose 15+ direct damage on the next turn.

Freeze Mage
Control Warrior
Control Druid
Control Priest

I don't know, it's like people have this weird, idealized, fantasy of how the game should play, instead of acknowledging how the game actually plays and using that knowledge to decide on which plays to make, what decks to run, etc.

If classes are ignoring board state and doing 15-20 damage "out of nowhere", this isn't because they pulled some bullshit combo out of their ass, it's because board state is less important in this game than you think it is. This is entirely a perception issue.

CoolOff

What's with everyone stalling for time and taking the maximum amount of time for each turn in unranked? I just want to finish my daily I can just concede without penalty and I don't have to give a shit about your trolling... it makes no sense.

Do it back to them and 70% of the time they give up. The other 30% are just complete retards and there's really nothing to do except beat them into the ground while BMing as hard as you can.

EXIE

Banned
I don't know, it's like people have this weird, idealized, fantasy of how the game should play

My 'weird, idealized fantasy' of a CCG is that it should be balanced, strategic and not overly-reliant on RNG.

instead of acknowledging how the game actually plays and using that knowledge to decide on which plays to make, what decks to run, etc.

Acknowledge that the biggest choices are made outside of matches? Either a rush deck that runs on auto-pilot or build a control deck we don't have the cards for? Or maybe pull a deck off the net cos that's real creative.

If classes are ignoring board state and doing 15-20 damage "out of nowhere", this isn't because they pulled some bullshit combo out of their ass, it's because board state is less important in this game than you think it is. This is entirely a perception issue.

You're right, we don't have to care about the board state, where all of the strategy is supposed to happen. Instead we have to second-guess whether the opponent has leeroy or gadgetzan and is about to play his un-counterable combo for 15+ lethal. Or whether the freeze Mage is gonna delay your board control before double fireballing you in the face. So much skill!

zoukka

You're right, we don't have to care about the board state, where all of the strategy is supposed to happen. Instead we have to second-guess whether the opponent has leeroy or gadgetzan and is about to play his un-counterable combo for 15+ lethal. Or whether the freeze Mage is gonna delay your board control before double fireballing you in the face. So much skill!

The final combo doesn't take skill. The turns leading to setup the turn do. It's not like that's any different in any other CCG.

NBtoaster

Freeze Mage
Control Warrior
Control Druid
Control Priest

I don't know, it's like people have this weird, idealized, fantasy of how the game should play, instead of acknowledging how the game actually plays and using that knowledge to decide on which plays to make, what decks to run, etc.

Using minions to control board state is how the game was designed. Not delaying the game until you can do 20 damage in one turn from the hand. If Blizzard hadn't for some reason made a commitment to not adjusting balance miracle and freeze mage would not be viable.

TP17

Got enough dust to craft a legendary; went for bloodmage thalnos ahead of leeroy as he finished the shaman deck I wanted to create and also fits into a lot of other decks. Brings my legendary total to four the other three being; black knight, greenskin pirate one and lorewalker cho who I opened yesterday.

I've been playing arena almost exclusively to build up my collection but next month I'm going to try out ranked, will aim for legendary (aim high) and have a prop-bet with a friend of mine.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well shit.

I'm back guys.

Ladder reset tomorrow?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Did they fix the Argus bug?

Yoshichan

Nah it's the same for every game, people think they know how to play, don't rank up enough, switch to watching the game instead of playing it and blame everything but themselves.

Standard!

Do it back to them and 70% of the time they give up. The other 30% are just complete retards and there's really nothing to do except beat them into the ground while BMing as hard as you can.

This is unranked, though, so there's no penalty for me just conceding on turn 3 and letting them have their meaningless win. It's just such a weird place to choose to troll, because they have no captive audience. I'm more baffled than annoyed.

Yoshichan

So when is the ladder reset :)?

Haly

My 'weird, idealized fantasy' of a CCG is that it should be balanced, strategic and not overly-reliant on RNG.

Game is pretty balanced at the moment. Every class has something to offer.

Game is moderately strategic. Blizzard is treading a fine line between complexity and accessibility. Considering the wide array of decks in the field and all the various matchups, I'd say there's a decent amount of strategizing even before you begin a match. And yes, this is actually an important part of card games. Believe it or not, a big part of every match is decided before it even starts. This is just a fact of the genre.

RNG is at an all time low in this game. Since you gain 1 mana per turn, Hearthstone actually has a lot less variance over a long time than Magic does. Imagine not getting more than 2 mana for 5 turns straight.

(And, actually, the fact that mana progression is so stable is one of the contributing factors to the strength of decks like Zoo and Miracle. When you never have to worry about being "mana screwed", you can commit your deck entirely to curving out into a burst. Ironic isn't it? It goes to show you that card games are extremely complex beasts and it's not a simple matter of "reducing RNG" to reduce player frustration.)
Using minions to control board state is how the game was designed. Not delaying the game until you can do 20 damage in one turn from the hand. If Blizzard hadn't for some reason made a commitment to not adjusting balance miracle and freeze mage would not be viable.
Frost Nova
Cone of Cold
Blizzard
Vaporize
Ice Barrier
Flamestrike
Pyrobalst
Icelance
Ice Block
Force of Nature
Savage Roar
Sap
Vanish
VanCleef
Dust Devil
Windfury
Lava Burst
Blood Lust
Soulfire
Power Overwhelming
Doom Guard
Mortal Strike
Shield Block
Kor'kron Elite
Gorehowl
Grommash Hellscream
Leeroy
Alexstrasza
Old Murk Eye

You're right, I don't see any burst or stalling whatsoever. Blizzard clearly just wants you to play duders and trade duders all day.

Also I'll quote myself here because your comment about freeze mage gives me the impression that you don't know the history behind the deck, nor why it's "viable" now when it wasn't before.

They nerfed all the Freeze cards in December, realized it wasn't enough, then promptly nerfed Pyroblast in January.

Freeze Mage went into cryogenic stasis until this month, and with the rise of aggro/burst, it came back with a vengeance.

That's the other thing. We've been getting new deck techs in response to the meta every month or so. May? Lifecoach, two Miracles variants, Gaara Ramp, Shockadin. June? Amaz Priest, Velen Priest, Freeze Mage, anti-Miracle Rogues, Face Warrior.

Seriously, the meta has never been healthier. Don't blame the game, blame copy pastarino culture.

Grio

Neo Member
Hey guys, I'm back from a short hiatus from the game. Was getting pretty tired of the lock/rogue fest that was a few weeks ago. Glad to see there is a bit more balance these days.

So, lucky me, I'm stuck with 3 priest / pally dominance quests since I can't keep my eyes open til 1 AM anymore. That said, does anyone have any somewhat successful priest decks they've been rolling? I created a AOE dmg priest, but the short game is a bit weak.

Haly

So, lucky me, I'm stuck with 3 priest / pally dominance quests since I can't keep my eyes open til 1 AM anymore. That said, does anyone have any somewhat successful priest decks they've been rolling? I created a AOE dmg priest, but the short game is a bit weak.
Both of these lists are a bit outdated so adjust as you feel is necessary.

Amaz Priest: You can sub out the higher end legendaries for strong, sturdy Neutral cards like Sunwalker, Boulderfist Ogre and a single Mind Control (rarely more than 1 in this environment).
http://www.liquidhearth.com/staff/monk/PowerRank/May2014/Amaz_Unlocks.jpg

Aggro Paladin: Not the list I use but it should work. I prefer face aggro Paladin for dailies because it's really fast to grind out, win or lose.
http://www.liquidhearth.com/staff/monk/PowerRank/Feb2013/Trucks_Aggro_Paladin.png

Yoshichan

1: What are the "stars" you get after a season is ended?

2: Is there a way to see what rank you got in every season?

Statistics in-game seems so lackluster, or am I just blind?

zoukka

Man I haven't gotten much fun out of arena lately. It's like playing endless zoo's with a sprinkle of Mages. And with single elimination rounds people get away with stupid gimmicks.

The drafting process needs interaction.

Minsc

Gold Member
1: What are the "stars" you get after a season is ended?

2: Is there a way to see what rank you got in every season?

Statistics in-game seems so lackluster, or am I just blind?

1) The stars just auto-rank you up a few levels at the start of the next season... it's intended to save time / prevent new players from having to face legendary players at the start of the season, but it's not incredibly effective at doing either imo.

2) Nope, Blizzard is pretty much anti-stats on this game. You basically can only see your achievements, not history. Total wins, best arena run, and just about nothing else. It's very weird, but I guess they don't want people becoming discouraged by seeing how many times they lose. I agree it's incredibly disappointing how little stat tracking they offer, especially compared to something like Hex, where they track stats down to individual cards having their own page of stats (you can see how many point of damage every card in your collection caused, etc).

Yoshichan

1) The stars just auto-rank you up a few levels at the start of the next season... it's intended to save time / prevent new players from having to face legendary players at the start of the season, but it's not incredibly effective at doing either imo.

2) Nope, Blizzard is pretty much anti-stats on this game. You basically can only see your achievements, not history. Total wins, best arena run, and just about nothing else. It's very weird, but I guess they don't want people becoming discouraged by seeing how many times they lose. I agree it's incredibly disappointing how little stat tracking they offer, especially compared to something like Hex, where they track stats down to individual cards having their own page of stats (you can see how many point of damage every card in your collection caused, etc).
:( Alright thanks for the info!

Do we at least know when achievements are gonna be implemented?

Aylinato

So I get upset sometimes when my opponent using the entirety of their turn. I then assume it's a kid I'm playing against and then proceed to crush their dreams by destroying them in hearthstone

frequency

I used to be more bothered by people who take a long time on turns. But as I have been getting a higher MMR or higher in ranked, I notice that I'm taking longer too. Not because I am "BM" or whatever but because it just takes time to think through a turn.

It's because you don't just think about the current turn but future turns too. And even of the current turn I need to play it out in my mind a few times to make sure I'm not making a mistake. I would actually say the timer is a little too short.

People tend to take longer now because the really popular decks all have lots of cards in hand for much of the game. Miracle, hand lock, control warrior, freeze mage, etc. There are always multiple plays available to you so you need time to consider.

depths20XX

I really hope they don't add a ton of secrets to this game.

I already find them really stupid and I feel like it would get ridiculous trying to play around some class that could be using 1 of 20 different secrets or something.

Haly

If they do large expacs, I can see them releasing secrets in groups of 3-4 that have a different cost from preexisting groups of secrets. So, Paladins would have 1 mana and 2 mana secrets. Hunter; 2 mana and 3. Mage, 3 mana and 4 (although this would fuck with Kirin Tor's power level a bit).

I think they realize nobody wants to play the guessing game with 10 possible cards, nor do they want too much competition between Secrets for their mana slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom