• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made it to rank 7 this round, going to stop now. I'm thinking about actually trying for legendary next month... but if I want to do that, I'll have to do it before Naxx hits and the meta shifts heavily (my current deck has been incredibly good in the current meta).

If they do large expacs, I can see them releasing secrets in groups of 3-4 that have a different cost from preexisting groups of secrets. So, Paladins would have 1 mana and 2 mana secrets. Hunter; 2 mana and 3. Mage, 3 mana and 4 (although this would fuck with Kirin Tor's power level a bit).

I think they realize nobody wants to play the guessing game with 10 possible cards, nor do they want too much competition between Secrets for their mana slot.

if they're well designed secrets then they should synergize with a specific deck archetype. at which point it narrows down the guessing game.

When the FUCK did Zoo add Ooze? Jesus.

probably tired of seeing so many miracle rogues

Water

2) Nope, Blizzard is pretty much anti-stats on this game. You basically can only see your achievements, not history. Total wins, best arena run, and just about nothing else. It's very weird, but I guess they don't want people becoming discouraged by seeing how many times they lose. I agree it's incredibly disappointing how little stat tracking they offer, especially compared to something like Hex, where they track stats down to individual cards having their own page of stats (you can see how many point of damage every card in your collection caused, etc).
So far they aren't offering features in general (observe all the lack of replays/social/tournament stuff). But looking at how the now-mature Starcraft 2 neglects to give you many key stats, and goes out of its way to hide some from you, makes a better case that Blizzard is anti-stats.

If they don't want stats in the interface, I understand, but they could at least support reading stats for those who want them. Given HS' card game nature, it would be the simplest thing in the world for them to include a hidden option to output everything that happens in a text log. 3rd party SW could then read and parse that.

If I start playing a bit more seriously, I think I'll set up a spreadsheet. Tried HearthStats but feel like it doesn't have room for enough data. For instance, winrate vs class isn't super meaningful if it covers going against both handlocks and zoos. And the rank a given match is played at is important information since the meta can apparently change wildly when going just a few ranks up and down.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
LAAAAAAAAAAAG in EU. Causing a loss for me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
if they're well designed secrets then they should synergize with a specific deck archetype. at which point it narrows down the guessing game.

Hahahaha "well designed secrets".

That's a good one, I needed that.

scy

I don't know, it's like people have this weird, idealized, fantasy of how the game should play, instead of acknowledging how the game actually plays and using that knowledge to decide on which plays to make, what decks to run, etc.

My feeling for most the complaints in the thread is that people want their creations to be viable simply for the sake that it's their creation (or more broadly, whatever they want to play should be good). The "meta is garbage" is consistent from the same people despite the meta changing on a consistent basis. I guess the meta is always bad, except when it's the exact deck they want to play.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Suddenly, 17 minute wait que to log on to Battle.net after getting disconnected?

Did Blizzard finally fix their game(s) so people are now interested in all their (dead) games or is this just yet another shit bug?

So what's everyone running next month for the laddering? I'm going Miracle all the way. Only other deck I would give serious consideration is running cancer rogue from 5->Legend.

zoukka

So what's everyone running next month for the laddering? I'm going Miracle all the way. Only other deck I would give serious consideration is running cancer rogue from 5->Legend.

Warrior control. My only proper deck. Got me to rank 5 and I didn't even mean to climb, just practice the deck and pick dailies. That or some hunter decks if freeze mage is prevalent.

Mutombo

I cannot for the life of me manage to properly win with a Shaman.

I'm missing a few class specific cards though, but goddamnit i get destroyed.

Some tips?

Water

I want to try and learn some of the classic, well-known decks. Miracle almost certainly, and maybe Handlock, Freeze Mage? I've just been hoping for a few key cards for these decks to drop before having to throw dust at them. Only complete non-Zoo decks I have access to right now are Token Mage and some kinds of Hunters.

What, if anything, is Miracle really weak against? Would a Handlock or a Freeze Mage be a better complementary deck to switch to in a very anti-Miracle environment?

CoolOff

Climbing ladder is so easy late in the season, rank 9 is a breeze.

Question for you control warriors out there, was it right of me to play Cairne here?:

xSmf9Gq.jpg

Raxus

Climbing ladder is so easy late in the season, rank 9 is a breeze.

Question for you control warriors out there, was it right of me to play Cairne here?:

Yes, you want him to waste his shield slams and executes and cairne is great for both.

Sylvanis is way too early and taskmasters come in handy down the road.

Hycran

Banned
I'm missing Preparation, don't even have one copy after all these months. How much do you really need it? I read the text and just think, "I'd rather have a better card in that slot instead of something that you just throw away for another card."

Préparation is obviously pretty clutch for cycling in miracle rogue. In spell power rogue I use it at all stages in the game. Turn 9 malygos +prep fan of knives clears the board easily. Even turn 10 malygos sinister strike + prep + sinister strike is 16 unblocked damage to face. It's also useful to have in the mid game if you're getting overwhelmed on the board and need a bit more juice to stabilize. I definitely think you could go without it but I've never been sad to see it.

Salex_

My feeling for most the complaints in the thread is that people want their creations to be viable simply for the sake that it's their creation (or more broadly, whatever they want to play should be good). The "meta is garbage" is consistent from the same people despite the meta changing on a consistent basis. I guess the meta is always bad, except when it's the exact deck they want to play.

I don't think that's the reason for the complaints right now, unless you don't see a problem with decks that can draw and play 5+ cards on the same turn and do 15+ direct damage (and still having enough mana to remove 1-2 taunts)?

Why does your deck matter in that situation? You didn't get a chance to counter anything. It's a single player game at that point.

Zoolock and other similar decks are fine to me because I have a chance to play the game. Zoolock also has to make sacrifices and has clear weaknesses (losing 2 HP/mana to draw a card, losing key monsters is a problem, majority of their damage is dealt via monsters, and they have to worry about mana). I can actually react to the situation after they end their turn. I can't do that vs Miracle Rouge once they have the cards or mana to start their combo.

ChrisW

Can't play this evening because of the EU issue :( likely for the best, cause i'd just use my quest gold for a pack rather than saving up for arena

scy

I can't do that vs Miracle Rouge once they have the cards or mana to start their combo.

So what were you doing for those 5-6 turns? What's your end-game plan you're after yourself? Miracle doesn't just get to do whatever until turn 5/6 and then draw their entire deck and kill you. These depictions of Miracle are best (worst, depending on your side I suppose) case scenarios.

Saying "why does your deck matter?" is pretty much what I'm talking about. Your deck is what you have to use. If the metagame is Miracle, you should have a deck that has a positive Miracle match-up. Your deck is literally the most important part here. If you're playing a deck that wants to react to your opponent and out value their late game, you're essentially the type of deck Miracle preys upon.

Personally, I think having a degenerate deck in existence is fairly important to the overall health of the metagame. Likewise, the same applies to any super effective rush deck. They keep other decks fair by making sure decks don't disrespect certain aspects of the game too far.

Do Better

I need to step up my knowledge of the cards and game mechanics. I'm losing many games due to not knowing before hand how certain things work.

Going to run primarily what I ran this month with some slight tweaks. I have a great mid-game control pally that has a lot of heals to handle the current burn/to the face decks that are most common (zoo, freeze mage, miracle rogue). It runs fairly decent against late game power decks as well (ramp druid, handlock).

Kenaras

Also I'll quote myself here because your comment about freeze mage gives me the impression that you don't know the history behind the deck, nor why it's "viable" now when it wasn't before.

In addition to the sweeping nerfs to Freeze Mage, many people don't know that Miracle Rogue was once smashed with the nerf bat too:

Backstab – Can no longer target damaged minions.
Shiv – Mana cost increased from 1 to 2.
Conceal – Mana cost increased from 0 to 1.
Headcrack – Mana cost increased from 2 to 3.
Dagger Mastery – No longer has the ability to buff a currently equipped weapon.
Edwin VanCleef – Stats increased from 1/1 to 2/2, but no longer has Stealth.

(Dagger Mastery was originally, "Equip a 1/2 Dagger; or Give your weapon +1 Attack this turn.")

iirate

In addition to the sweeping nerfs to Freeze Mage, many people don't know that Miracle Rogue was once smashed with the nerf bat too:

Backstab – Can no longer target damaged minions.
Shiv – Mana cost increased from 1 to 2.
Conceal – Mana cost increased from 0 to 1.
Headcrack – Mana cost increased from 2 to 3.
Dagger Mastery – No longer has the ability to buff a currently equipped weapon.
Edwin VanCleef – Stats increased from 1/1 to 2/2, but no longer has Stealth.

(Dagger Mastery was originally, "Equip a 1/2 Dagger; or Give your weapon +1 Attack this turn.")

Dagger Mastery only buffed the HP daggers IIRC. It's been a while, so I could be mis-remembering, but I think it would replace your currently equipped weap unless you had HP daggers out. Still was crazy powerful, giving a HP the ability to hit for 2, but at least it couldn't buff Assassin's/Perdition.

Haly

Oh, so that's the old Shiv I heard so much about.

Pretty bananas.
Dagger Mastery only buffed the HP daggers IIRC. It's been a while, so I could be mis-remembering, but I think it would replace your currently equipped weap unless you had HP daggers out. Still was crazy powerful, giving a HP the ability to hit for 2, but at least it couldn't buff Assassin's/Perdition.
Nah, it was attack.
Original: Equip a 1/2 Dagger; or Give your weapon +1 Attack this turn.
Via Hearthstone Wiki, which conveniently has the changelog of every card on their page.

depths20XX

I'm starting to realize I'm just really bad at this game.

My experience on ranked typically goes like this: 4 game win streak, 4 game loss streak, then me quitting for the day because I get pissed.

Haly

My experience on ranked typically goes like this: 4 game win streak, 4 game loss streak, then me quitting for the day because I get pissed.

When you lose two times in a row, stop playing.

You're on tilt.

I see this all the time in every PvP game I play.

Recognize the tilt, and avoid it.

frequency

I like that Miracle exists but I don't like playing against it because it makes me nervous. I can spend a long time on my turn planning what to do and hoping they don't have all the cards they need.

And then after all that work and thinking, they end up having or drawing into what they need anyway and then I feel sad that I spent all that time planning on my turn as 3 Leeroys explode my face.

And when I win against Miracle, I don't feel satisfied at the win. I feel relieved that the constant nervous feeling of "does s/he have it...?" is gone. And then I match up against another Miracle after and I become sad again.

I like playing against Miracle more than I do Freeze Mage though. Their stall tactics make me even more sad.

de1irium

Good news is you're still up two stars. But yea, like Haly said ... never play on tilt.

ZZMitch

Went on a tear with the old school 6-trap face hunter deck today. One of my largest win streaks in a while, fun deck too! Seems like it does well against the current popular decks. Flare can really wreck Miracle Rogue/Freeze Mage/other Hunters.

I just wanted to mention that we just wrapped up the 2nd NeoGAF Hearthstone tournament and I believe Ferny is expecting to host another one soon. It's quite a lot of fun and you guys should keep an eye out for it to go up! I don't want to speak for Ferny of course so I'm not 100% sure he's hosting again, but anyway, it's fun, so join up if another one does indeed pop up.

Haly

Anyone know a couple of decent Mage builds?

Freeze: http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/63979-rdus-freeze-mage-dreamhack-winner
Aggro: http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/constructed-strategy/457641-deck-guide-special-tactics-aggro-mage
Secrets: http://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone..._legend_by_playing_secret_mage_decklist_info/

Of those, Freeze is the most relevant. Aggro mage was better in the last two months but fell off this month for reasons I'm not privy to. Secret Mage is trolly and gets by because no one expects it.

Hero

Freeze: http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/63979-rdus-freeze-mage-dreamhack-winner
Aggro: http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/constructed-strategy/457641-deck-guide-special-tactics-aggro-mage
Secrets: http://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone..._legend_by_playing_secret_mage_decklist_info/

Of those, Freeze is the most relevant. Aggro mage was better in the last two months but fell off this month for reasons I'm not privy to. Secret Mage is trolly and gets by because no one expects it.

Hmm, thanks! Still missing a couple of cards but I'll play around. :D Thanks!

Hmm, thanks! Still missing a couple of cards but I'll play around. :D Thanks!

Keep in mind the Aggro Mage deck from above is over 6 months old and still is based around 8 mana Pyroblasts and cheaper cost freeze spells. I'm not sure if that type of aggro Mage is very viable anymore, though I'm sure the above deck is a good starting point for trying to get one together.

Well, the dream is dead. Wasn't able to break rank 10 but I'm still happy and proud with my deck that I made off my own whims, with some help from Haly.

Hope everyone else had a decent season.

I play this deck to do mage quests. It performs pretty well, I think.

Well, the dream is dead. Wasn't able to break rank 10 but I'm still happy and proud with my deck that I made off my own whims, with some help from Haly.

Hope everyone else had a decent season.
Cool, what class?

I got to rank 5 but simply don't have time to try to grind any higher. I played a couple control warrior decks and one control pally pretty much every game on ladder. Not sure what I will do next season. I might stick with control warrior just to get the golden portrait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom