• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
New season stomp is in full effect... suddenly my mid-game pally deck is feeling it's weaknesses hit pretty hard (hand lock is still a bitch match...)

You running equality or Aldor Peacekeeper in your deck? Pallies have a lot of tools against handlock they can use.

CradleOfMan

Neo Member
WizEHCb.jpg

Edit: Beaten like a Priest in arena

Excellent!
Sadly also true, particularly for me. Every time I tell myself that this Arena run I'm going to pass on that easy-mode Mage to show my true skills with a Priest, I go 2-3.

Special C

Well I caved. I had 2000 gold saved up for Naxx, Then I got greedy and realized I needed 10 packs worth of dust to craft a legendary. And Leeroy would instantly improve 3 of my decks. So I blew through 1000gs and got just enough dust (along with 2 or 3 epics I didnt have).

With my luck Naxx will come out tommorow.

Well I caved. I had 2000 gold saved up for Naxx, Then I got greedy and realized I needed 10 packs worth of dust to craft a legendary. And Leeroy would instantly improve 3 of my decks. So I blew through 1000gs and got just enough dust (along with 2 or 3 epics I didnt have).

With my luck Naxx will come out tommorow.

I think you can safely assume no Naxx for at least a few weeks (months?) since even the pricing announcement was delayed.

zoukka

I'll be happy if Naxx hits before christmas.

What the flying fuck is with arena... I make a deck with maybe four decent class cards offered to me and face almost 100% NETDECK quality decks after 4-0...

Why does Blizz hate me.

zoukka

At least you got 4 wins. That's already better than average.

6 actually, but the decks are just insane. 2 Fire Elly, 2 Unbound, 2 Argent Commander, axes, rockbiters, manatides just your normal Shaman arena deck eh :b I'd understand if I was 11-0 or something...

Meanwhile I play vanilla dudes every turn and wish I topdeck my only consecration...

You running equality or Aldor Peacekeeper in your deck? Pallies have a lot of tools against handlock they can use.

Yes, the problem is that you can't let them sit with even 1 8/8 on the field for more than one turn or they just go straight for your face. I can let them go a turn or two, but the smart ones wait it will because they know it's coming (plus they tend to run silences which makes aldor peacekeeper worthless)

Holy crap, this has been the best arena turn around I've ever had... went from 0/2 where I was completely stomped to 8/2 right now. I'm sure my bragging will mean an 8/3 by the end of this match... but still, well worth it.

(edit) and.... yep. Oh well, from 0/2 to 8/3 more than makes up for the terrible start.

(edit 2) 205 gold and a pack

It feels good when an arena run you write off ends up sooooooo goood.

Also, because I'm a mental juvenile...

qwYtpck.png

Stormwind Knight + Blessing of Kings = A guy who 69'ed my enemy to death. (yes, I won a match doing this)

Adding Onyxia to my list, I now have 13 legendaries. Also somewhere along the line I picked up a Jaraxxus I have no idea when/how. One step closer to my ultimate fun Druid/Dragon deck.

Guys, I'm scared.

They forgot to do the patch that adds this season officially to the game. That's what the maintenance today is for.

I can't...

Nothing is worth playing against zoo's only.

I'll post up my Shaman deck later. I am not far into the ranks yet this season, but it seems to hold very well against Zoo and Handlock/others. Admittedly though, I've been playing Shaman exclusively for about 6 months so I've gotten pretty decent at running it.

zoukka

I'll post up my Shaman deck later. I am not far into the ranks yet this season, but it seems to hold very well against Zoo and Handlock/others. Admittedly though, I've been playing Shaman exclusively for about 6 months so I've gotten pretty decent at running it.

Yeah Shaman is solid and Druid as well. Too bad I don't play either of them.

handlock

druid doesn't counter zoo directly and since when is shaman supposed to be good against zoo? (up until now I'm pretty sure it was generally considered a bad matchup)

In my experience:
Earth Shock 2x
Lightning Storm 2x
Earthen Ring Farseer 2x
Wild Pryomancer 2x
Shieldmasta 2x
Feral Spirit 2x
Rockbiter 2x
Blood Knight 1x

Does a solid job of keeping Zoo at bay. I'm not talking 100% winrate here, but majority winning easily.

Has anyone got any links to a cheap/mid rogue deck? I only ever seem to play rogue these days so I should try and get past rank 18 for a change..

AllGamer

Had a good start this season. I am rank 14 at the moment and have not seen many zoo decks. Maybe it stays that way...yeah right

Kenaras

In my experience:
Earth Shock 2x
Lightning Storm 2x
Earthen Ringing Farseer 2x
Wild Pryomancer 2x
Shieldmasta 2x
Feral Spirit 2x
Rockbiter 2x
Blood Knight 1x

Does a solid job of keeping Zoo at bay. I'm not talking 100% winrate here, but majority winning easily.

I've been playing Shaman almost exclusively in constructed too. My thoughts:

The Wild Pyromancers, Earthen Ring Farseers, Sen'jin Shieldmastas, and Blood Knight are the non-standard Shaman cards in that list. The others are used in at least 90% of Shaman decks. Of the non-standard cards, the Wild Pyromancers and Blood Knight are amazing against Zoo; those three cards alone can give a substantial boost to your win rate. Sen'jin Shieldmastas are solid, but not great. Zoo usually either buffs a 1-/2-drop and trades for tempo advantage, or charges a Doomguard. They do provide an extra taunt to guard your face in late-game, of course. (Sen'jins are also fantastic against many other decks in the meta.) I haven't experimented with Earthen Ring Farseers. Seems like they'd help prevent a loss to Soulfire after you've already taken late-game board control, but I'd have difficulty making space for them.

Had a good start this season. I am rank 14 at the moment and have not seen many zoo decks. Maybe it stays that way...yeah right

If you get a good early win streak, you can outrank the horde of Zoos and instead fight the decks designed to beat Zoo. I haven't played yet this season, but that's what happened last season.

I've been playing Shaman almost exclusively in constructed too. My thoughts:

The Wild Pyromancers, Earthen Ring Farseers, Sen'jin Shieldmastas, and Blood Knight are the non-standard Shaman cards in that list. The others are used in at least 90% of Shaman decks. Of the non-standard cards, the Wild Pyromancers and Blood Knight are amazing against Zoo; those three cards alone can give a substantial boost to your win rate. Sen'jin Shieldmastas are solid, but not great. Zoo usually either buffs a 1-/2-drop and trades for tempo advantage, or charges a Doomguard. They do provide an extra taunt to guard your face in late-game, of course. (Sen'jins are also fantastic against many other decks in the meta.) I haven't experimented with Earthen Ring Farseers. Seems like they'd help prevent a loss to Soulfire after you've already taken late-game board control, but I'd have difficulty making space for them.

Yes, so I originally ran 2x Blood Knight and 1x Shieldmasta, but found the BK too situational and the Shieldmasta better against non-Zoo, so I switched it up. One BK stealing even just one shield is a huge swing, especially if it falls on turn 3 (or even better, turn 2 with coin).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
First documented arena session on GAF. No need to quote, just typing my statistics to see how well I do :3

Druid
6-3
130 gold
Pack

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Drafted a HORRIBLE shaman deck. Let's see how well it does.

Usually zoo decks are stuck at high ranks until all the good players are rank 5-legendary.

I've seen this countless times (well, could be counted). Beginning of season if you rank up fast you don't deal with zoo often. Then like a couple days in, the zoo locks are infesting 10-20. It is like a virus spreading itself.

I think senjin is particularly good because of doomguard. If you force them to use doomguard early like that, they often have to discard to play him. And he is already down to 4 hp so you should be capable of dealing with him at that point. At least as rogue in the past I've saved an eviscerate for that situation.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Last three seasons I've peaked at rank 5 but never really pushed for legend. I'm going to commit to 200-300 games this season to give it a try. I plan on tracking all games played to improve my play and track the meta.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Finished this past season with a rank 9 with a paladin deck missing most of the legendarys I need. Also sitting on 4250 gold waiting to hear what the Naxx pricing is going to look like. I fully expect it to be 5k gold, but if its cheaper then hopefully I can improve at arena. I got up to rank 8 this season which is the highest I have been to date. Gradually improving. Love this game.

Yoshichan

Any other ways of buying Naxx? (Don't wanna spend gold)

Kenaras

I think senjin is particularly good because of doomguard. If you force them to use doomguard early like that, they often have to discard to play him. And he is already down to 4 hp so you should be capable of dealing with him at that point. At least as rogue in the past I've saved an eviscerate for that situation.

As a Shaman, it's almost impossible to play a mid-game Sen'jin facing an empty board. Zoo will have minions, and more often than not a way to buff those minions. (Dark Iron Dwarf, etc.) That results in their 1-/2-drop trading for your 4-drop, a substantial tempo gain for the Zoo player. Worst-case, you might end up trading your Sen'jin for a Divine Shield.

Doomguard is what gets used if Zoo has already emptied their hand. Having it down to 4 health afterwards is usually irrelevant; 4 damage isn't always easy to deal as a Shaman, and you'll generally Hex it anyway. It is good if you have an Argent Commander, though. In the end, the trade is only good for the Shaman if Zoo discarded 2 cards for it; even 1 discard is still a decent trade for Zoo, and no discards is a substantial gain.

It's not a bad card for the matchup, but it's not a key card either.

As a Shaman, it's almost impossible to play a mid-game Sen'jin facing an empty board. Zoo will have minions, and more often than not a way to buff those minions. (Dark Iron Dwarf, etc.) That results in their 1-/2-drop trading for your 4-drop, a substantial tempo gain for the Zoo player. Worst-case, you might end up trading your Sen'jin for a Divine Shield.

Doomguard is what gets used if Zoo has already emptied their hand. Having it down to 4 health afterwards is usually irrelevant; 4 damage isn't always easy to deal as a Shaman, and you'll generally Hex it anyway. It is good if you have an Argent Commander, though. In the end, the trade is only good for the Shaman if Zoo discarded 2 cards for it; even 1 discard is still a decent trade for Zoo, and no discards is a substantial gain.

It's not a bad card for the matchup, but it's not a key card either.

Huh? I didn't say anything about an empty board. Of course they'll have minions.

You're supposed to have already removed 1-2 of their minions in turns 2-3. Focusing on slowing them down is the main goal. And swinging the match is what is best done around turn 5-7, which senjin is being used to set up for.

If you're far behind by turn 4, sure - senjin may do very little. But it may bait them or even force them into using doomguard or soulfire inefficiently. That is where you basically get a huge advantage most of the time, especially if they discard 1-2 useful cards. That is why I am saying senjin is a good card. Bringing the doomguard into 4hp is also important. Dealing with an uninjured 5/7 could guarantee it getting 10+ daamge.

Personally I don't even have a taunt in my deck and just focus on early removal. I don't even rely on AOEs, although I have one. But having a taunt to slow down the face damage is very useful in some decks. I wouldn't say it is key, just a useful tool.

ChrisW

so i've come to realise that maybe I should wait a few days until playing the new ranked season. Seems that a lot of really good players are making they're way up the ranks and with them starting from the bottom I'm getting murdered by people who have great decks and awesome combo cards.

zoukka

You need to race a zoo or play very efficient AoE spells. Like 4-5 to 1 or something to make the spell even viable. A brawl that kills 5 minions oh yeah! Except more often that does not guarantee a win if the minion that stays is beefy. The reach of Zoo is just ungodly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom