• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just want to thank him, personally, for actually managing to waste my time in such manners that I didn't think was possible. The only ladder I've been climbing with this absolutely god awful, piece of shit in every-way-shape-and-form-deck is down to hell, and I'm taking him with me.

Edit: actually, I'm done. Uninstalled and done until Blizzard hires educated people who actually know what the terms "fun", "balance" and "good game" means.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Actually the meta is pretty awesome right now. 25 games on ladder this season I've faced everything under the sun with no dominant archetype. Only rank 11 so far.

Salex_

Should I start facrolling? It seems pointless to try to control the board.

I had a full board with 2 taunts (1 with divine shield) vs a mage and he had no minions on the board. I ended my turn and lost 17 damage straight from his hand to my hero.

VS the usual autopilot rushdown decks you normally use hp before you can get rid of the monsters. At that point, you can easily die to spells or the high attack charge monster.

Feels like I have to use a rushdown deck and outdamage them...

iirate

I just want to thank him, personally, for actually managing to waste my time in such manners that I didn't think was possible. The only ladder I've been climbing with this absolutely god awful, piece of shit in every-way-shape-and-form-deck is down to hell, and I'm taking him with me.

Edit: actually, I'm done. Uninstalled and done until Blizzard hires educated people who actually know what the terms "fun", "balance" and "good game" means.

What list did you have?

Tarazet

Should I start facrolling? It seems pointless to try to control the board.

I had a full board with 2 taunts (1 with divine shield) vs a mage and he had no minions on the board. I ended my turn and lost 17 damage straight from his hand to my hero.

VS the usual autopilot rushdown decks you normally use hp before you can get rid of the monsters. At that point, you can easily die to spells or the high attack charge monster.

Feels like I have to use a rushdown deck and outdamage them...

The perfect counter to Freeze Mage is Kolento/Lifecoach Hunter. Puts a lot of beef on the board, strong combo burst action with Leeroy + Unleash the Hounds and destroys Ice Block with Flare.

Violet_0

Banned
currently 8-0 in arena with a deck that really shouldn't be. Could this be the worst deck that I piloted to 12 wins yet?
OfclgPv.jpg

who needs fireballs anyway

Salex_

The perfect counter to Freeze Mage is Kolento/Lifecoach Hunter. Puts a lot of beef on the board, strong combo burst action with Leeroy + Unleash the Hounds and destroys Ice Block with Flare.
Man. Not having Leeroy sucks. I'll see how well I do with that deck though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
currently 8-0 in arena with a deck that really shouldn't be. Could this be the worst deck that I piloted to 12 wins yet?
who needs fireballs anyway

I only see like 2-3 bad cards in there. I could see how you could go 8 wins with it.

Violet_0

Banned
I basically play no arena but...
that looks like a pretty strong arena deck to me?

got pretty lucky with minions, no fireballs though, only on frost bolt, no Rag :p

admittedly it's by no means bad but not amazing either. All my 12-wins decks so far have been pretty stacked. Well, I still gotta win 4 more games

btw, vaporize just sucks

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
That mage deck has a great curve. Totally fine. Fireballs aren't needed for arena, aoe is better.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The thread will be about hearthstone again!
Are you honestly implying that I wasn't talking about Hearthstone when I was posting in here?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Are you honestly implying that I wasn't talking about Hearthstone when I was posting in here?

Yoshi, we all definitely get mad at this game. There are so many "too good to be true" moments for the opponent, but we quickly forget when those moments happen for us too.

However, check why you're playing the game.

Are you playing because you want to experience the most competitive side of the game? If so, you will need to have properly built decks and a dedication to play that deck consistently for grinding ranks. There are TONS of decks that get to legendary - from packed with legendaries to totally budget decks with only uncommons and rares. You definitely have to find one that fits your style, but also one that you know how to pilot in tough situations.

In regards to grinding ranks, why are you grinding ranks? There are 3 possible reasons:

1) The seasonal back if you reach rank 20. Once you hit above rank 20.. there's no reason to grind further if this is your goal.
2) Legendary because you want the legendary card back. This is the same every season so if you really want it, go for legendary one season and then you're essentially done.
3) Legendary to play with the best and be among the best. Depending on how seriously you take the game this might be a goal you try for every season.

If none of those are your goals, don't bother with ranked because (for now) there really aren't many rewards. Ranked has a very specific playstyle. Casual is MUCH more normal in the sense that people play a TON of different decks there. I still see tempo warlock on a daily basis there. Casual is like 70% of my play time. Just queue up, get some gold, have some fun, the end. This is the best mode for pick up and play, but the rewards are little if you finish your quests.

Arena also requires a specific playstyle, but is too rng for my tastes to be my main mode. Amaz just streamed an arena game where the warlock opponent had 6 soul fires. Hell, Amaz' deck had 4 shadow word pains lol. Arena can definitely be fun but it can be just as rage inducing because of the no-limit of cards format. Just be aware that arena requires a completely different way of thinking than the constructed format. While people often blame the draft for going less than 3 wins, and it certainly can be true, it usually is the way they mistakenly value cards because they think it's like constructed. Still, if you have the skill for Arena it is easily the best rewards in the game currently.

Anyway, just come back for Naxx and enjoy that new cards/decks feeling.

Yoshichan

I'm an expert, excellent post. Thanks.

I'm an expert

I'm an expert, excellent post. Thanks.

It's really all common sense, I'm sure you knew it all too. I guess I just don't get why people bother with ranked if they're not going all out 100%. If you're grinding ranked to tweak decks and feel the meta, definitely, but if it's just your main mode of casual play I feel anyone would get jaded because of how serious the players there take it - especially in the beginning of the season.

I usually don't play ranked till the last week of the season just to sort of test my decks against the meta after tweaking them the first 3 weeks. I hit rank 5 last season (thanks gaf ban) and IMMEDIATELY saw the giant wall in front of me lol. If there was a genuinely good reward at the end of it all I might.. might consider it. But right now I don't think it's worth it unless competitive games are your primary source of entertainment. I wish I was 10 years younger. =P

edit: lol.. just found this on reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/29tlj3/a_students_experience_hitting_legend_rank_29/

This was me back then with arena in WoW lol. Took that shit so seriously.

frequency

No deck and no player has a 100% win rate. If the game is working as it should, you would be around 50% win rate. So I just accept losses. Sometimes my opponent gets what seems like crazy lucky wizardry to beat me. But then I come back from near impossible games often too.

I feel like Hearthstone is generally very balanced.

And as the community has grown and all sorts of deck ideas are coming out I've also completely turned around on my attitude in beta that card quality plays a huge role in performance. It doesn't. Super cheap Zoo is perfectly fine against super expensive Control Warrior.

ShinNL

Rogue daily is like done so fast and easily :/

Leeeeeroy Jenkinsssss...

It's an overpowered combo. I don't understand people defending this. Especially now that I have it. I'm not blinded by the fact that I still sometimes lose: this combo finishes the game way too often.

Now it's arguable it's because of Gadgetzan, because the Shaman version of the combo doesn't happen anywhere near the amount of times it happens as with Rogue, simply because there's no crazy preparation shenanigans for Shaman to get that fast of a card draw to create a hand containing the combo almost every time around turn 8.

I think the most simple fix would be to make Preparation to make all spells cost 1. That way free spells aren't good with it, but spells like Assassinate and Sprint get more awesome.

Or just fix Leeroy. Maybe make it more like the 'lore': wipe your board after Leeroy attacks. Making it a true neutral Fireball kinda thing.

Rockyrock

I think the most simple fix would be to make Preparation to make all spells cost 1. That way free spells aren't good with it, but spells like Assassinate and Sprint get more awesome.

Wouldn't that mean you could technically draw 6 cards for 1 mana?

Tacitus_

Has everyone else been getting a single card from their arena rewards? I've gotten it three times in a row now. Shit sucks, gimme gold plz.

Prep or Shadow Step should cost 1. The end. Leeroy is fine.

Leeroy combos too well imo. There's the miracle combo and the handlock 20 dmg combo. But I don't have the faintest idea how to do fix it. Maybe more cards will do it.

Violet_0

Banned
got hit by a 26 damage leeroy combo aj&@hdbjajh

lerroy shadowstep prep shadowstep cold blood cold blood and somehow he magically got all those cards in the hand with half of his deck still left

frequency

The charge effect + 30 life may need to be looked at depending on how the meta is after Naxxramas. But I don't think we can say without more data if it's really that bad.

Alternatively, they may need to consider the value of taunt. There are too many unusable (in constructed) taunts because the stat allocations are low. Like Ironfur Grizzly and stuff.

I'm an expert

Leeroy has a ton of combos, but they all require multiple cards. P/O+Faceless, Rockbiter+Windfury, Shadowstep+CB. It's reasonable to expect that much power late in the game. The issue with rogue is assembling the cards quicker/more accurately than most classes. That's not Leeroy's fault.

If they do anything to Leeroy, they'll probably make it where you can't use spells on him or something. I doubt anything will be heavily changed until after Naxx though. They'll probably want to see how the game changes and nerf / buff everything all at once as well.

Just sucks we still don't know when that'll happen.

Best counter to freeze mage is actually warrior. Freeze just can't do enough damage to control warrior. Alexstrasza drops them to 15 hp, but they still have all the armor they built up.

I'm an expert

Fuck me.. thoughtsteal a priest.. coh+thoughtsteal.. thoughtsteal again... coh+thoughtsteal. Something is not right here..

Xanathus

Facing Legend card-back Golden druids at rank 8, guess this means I need to stop for a week.

Best counter to freeze mage is actually warrior. Freeze just can't do enough damage to control warrior. Alexstrasza drops them to 15 hp, but they still have all the armor they built up.
Yep control warrior is practically a 100% win rate against freeze mage, problem is that control warrior also has an almost 100% lose rate against miracle rogue.

I'm an expert

I was hoping for an easy ride to rank 5 haha, the last time I tried ranking up I started like 1-2 weeks to the end of the season and went from rank 20 to 5 in a day.

Well, you know it's a bit easier later in the month. I know.. the climb to 5 is doable but that no win streak climb..ugh. I'm gonna try with zoo today and see how far I get.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
If they do anything to Leeroy, they'll probably make it where you can't use spells on him or something. I doubt anything will be heavily changed until after Naxx though. They'll probably want to see how the game changes and nerf / buff everything all at once as well.

Just sucks we still don't know when that'll happen.

If they make it so you can't use spells on him, than he basically is just a fireball you can't play in many circumstances. That would just straight up kill him as a card.

I still think the best route to go is to make it so that the whelps randomly attack two targets the moment they go down. Currently the whelps are a complete non-factor 95% of the time Leeroy is played, all they do is force Leeroy to be used as a finisher. I think there should be a chance that a Leeroy play just straight up blows up in your face every once in awhile. It fits the card thematically and it would encourage players to have other minions on their side of the board before playing him, so that he can't swing a game so hard.

Xanathus

Well, you know it's a bit easier later in the month. I know.. the climb to 5 is doable but that no win streak climb..ugh. I'm gonna try with zoo today and see how far I get.

It should be easier with zoo now, I reached rank 1 with divine zoo 2 seasons ago when UTH hunters were the rage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom