• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just spent my first ton of money on this game - $150. I'm fairly happy with what I got, but this game nearly has as much buyer's remorse as Dota 2 hats. I didn't want to spend money, but it was too tempting...

I had to post here where people will understand me throwing my integrity away and paying2win (I still lose).

Playing Miracle Rogue at rank 25 is literally a case of 'I'm bad and I should feel bad'.

I hope you all understand the mixed emotions I have.

I'm having a lot more fun with the game since paying for it though...fucking Blizzard

Well I think it is generally accepted that the game is not p2w but having more options should be more fun either way.

My internet was down for 4 days, what did I miss!?

Naxx pricing revealed. 700gold per wing or 5 dollars per wing in bundles of 5-2 or 6.99 each. The first wing is unlocked permanently for free if you play it once during the first month of release. After that the first wing also costs gold or money.

ViviOggi

This rank 16 aggro Paladin just now hasn't used his hero power when he had spare mana for three turns, cleared my 4/3 Yeti with a naked Leeroy, a 3/1 with Wolfrider, a 5/5 with Kings+Murloc charger and a 4/4 with an Arcange Golem. The lack of value gave me a headache.

zoukka

This rank 16 aggro Paladin just now hasn't used his hero power when he had spare mana for three turns, cleared my 4/3 Yeti with a naked Leeroy, a 3/1 with Wolfrider, a 5/5 with Kings+Murloc charger and a 4/4 with an Arcange Golem. The lack of value gave me a headache.

He saw you were a druid and felt bad for you.

:)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Lol you guys...

I tore people up tonight in the lower ranks, with prejudice. I'm only rank 10, but still every deck is like top end decks just being played by noobs. Well, not every deck.

I ran into a murlock whom I happened to get double backstabs who happened to play double young priestess turn 1. I took them both out and played a loot hoarder, who he ended up... soulfiring... lmao. Next I proceeded to destroy his murlocs with deadly poison, then by around turn 5 or 6 I made my yeti into a 12/5 with double cold blood and even had ragnaros to follow up with. Just a ton of pain for him.

Then I ran into some weird token druid (?) or ramp druid. He played a power of the wild on turn 2... against a rogue with coin... lol. Si7 agent'd that. He innervates a azure drake to which I backstab and si7 agent again. I may have played a little bit less than optimally, playing like a wuss not dropping ragnaros on turn 8 for a 50/50 chance to take out his ancient of lore... but the druid did happen to drop double ancients of lores back to back. Then he plays his second dotc bear form with a faceless to copy it. Then he drops an ancient of war which I had to eat through with leeroy. I am at 4 cards left and 2 of them are cold bloods (with bgh) in hand. I get a blade flurry... and fortuneately the previous round I already had double deadly poison so a 5/2 dagger. I hit face into the AOW and blade flurry, taking it out and clearing board and dealing 5 damage, hit with 4 damage on board, and dropped ragnaros and finally... won that match.

It was almost insane how many life lines he played. I mean, he played senjin, sunwalker, 3 dotc (1 from faceless), 2 ancients of war, and on turn 9 he used FON + SR to clear my board. Is that crazy or what? Makes me want to put black knight in again if I am gonna run into druids with THAT many taunts.

Glad to see the price for Naxx is sane. I already had 2.1k saved so I'll have a month AFTER launch to get the last 700... will likely have it all even before it launches.

iNvid02

Pp5BMIdC.png

Alrus

Caved in and bought a pack after saving for a little bit and finally got a Leeroy. Doesn't really fit into any of the deck I can build right now but I'm still happy.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Caved in and bought a pack after saving for a little bit and finally got a Leeroy. Doesn't really fit into any of the deck I can build right now but I'm still happy.

Yeah when it gets nerfed, you'll be enjoying dat 1600 dust.

inky

Here's how the devs announced it on the official boards. Everyone is rightly up in arms about it:

Seems pretty clear they cut it entirely, especially since their marketing is only mentioning a new card back (sigh) as a reward for Heroic mode. Completely bullshit reasoning, since they could easily do both.

Such a ridiculous excuse, lol.

Well, at least I'm sure some streamers will show them off.

Do we have any idea if you'll be able to gain experience in the PvE wings? I'm assuming you'll be fine considering you can gain experience in the practice mode, just not as much as in PvP.

I miss having Arena victories count towards your three wins. Chances are the PvE stuff won't count either.

frequency

They said Naxx would be replayable and they would talk about it closer to release. I hope it's more than just, "There is a harder mode!"

(A separate set of) Daily or even Weekly Quests in Naxx would be so great...

Xanathus

Competition's still tough at rank 8, I really don't think I can make legend this season. At this point it looks like everyone at rank 15 and lower are playing legend-level decks, that's the problem with the low number of cards. Naxx won't really help this much since everyone at that level will get all of the Naxx cards as well.

Competition's still tough at rank 8, I really don't think I can make legend this season. At this point it looks like everyone at rank 15 and lower are playing legend-level decks, that's the problem with the low number of cards. Naxx won't really help this much since everyone at that level will get all of the Naxx cards as well.

My hope is that the addition of Naxx cards increases our options as far as viable decks go. I suspect it will, unless Naxx unleashes some overpowered cards that just overtake the current meta entirely.

Zafir

I'm at rank 14 now, and It's slowly getting more difficult with my budget tempo rogue deck which doesn't have legendaries and is missing some other cards too. Not everyone seems to have a standardised deck, but I've been against a few handlocks, zoolocks and miracle rogues so far. Most people seem to have legendaries, come across a lot of Ragnaros'. I'm still managing a strong win/loss ratio but something tells me it isn't going to last long. :p

I got Malygos in a pack, but I've not got any auctioneers or preparations to use in conjunction with it. :(

I think my biggest weakness at the moment is doing arenas. Though it probably isn't helping my arena picks have also been pretty horrific. Did it as a shaman earlier, and got very few rares, no legendary's and very few shaman cards(no wolfs, no storm for clearing).

frequency

I'm also finding this season to be a lot more competitive than the previous ones. Even at lower (higher number) ranks I'm coming up against the popular netdecks regularly. They're not all played well but sometimes the value in many of the top end cards is just too much to overcome.

I wonder what the Hearthstone numbers are. Whether they're getting many new people coming in. I feel like as the seasons have gone by, people are just getting better and better card quality decks. That feels to me like there are more veteran players than new players coming in.

I can still climb though so it's not really that bad. Just harder than before.

Jrmint

Knife juggler + mirror image is cute but it didn't amount to much.
Much worse is Mana Wyrm + coin + Mirror Image on turn 1. This is very difficult to recover from. If I'm playing in casual mode doing quests and someone drops that combo I usually just concede rather than deal with it.

johnsmith

remember me
Last season was brutal too. Never made it past rank 5 despite hitting legend the season before that.

Glad I got it when I did, because it seems I'll never put in the pure time grind needed to do it again.

Violet_0

Banned
my weird rush druid/ramp druid hybrid deck is doing pretty well lately with the addition of a second keeper and ancient of war (yay, boosters). 76% win rate after 50 games (~30 ranked) this week, at rank 6 now thanks to a pretty nice win streak
mark of the wild is probably going to be replaced once I get a second ancient of lore. Adding a BGH once I open one in a pack since Handlock is a really though matchup, I think I can do without the black knight.

Water

Who plays an aggro mage? Honestly.

I do since that's what I have cards for. Or does token mage not count as aggro? When the draw gives you Wyrms, Jugglers etc. it plays pretty aggro, and at other times you sit just nuking the board for a while, try to contest the board a bit with Violet Teachers and other stuff, and either dig for a straight up face nuke finish or try to get value out of Antonidas.

zoukka

Much worse is Mana Wyrm + coin + Mirror Image on turn 1. This is very difficult to recover from. If I'm playing in casual mode doing quests and someone drops that combo I usually just concede rather than deal with it.

Just remove the wyrm...

LaneDS

Just remove the wyrm...

Edit: Didn't read.

Now I'm trying to think of what options my (warrior control) deck would have for dealing with that. That combo can definitely push you into doing some inefficent things to get that wyrm removed before it gains too much steam, depending on your opening hand.

Bizazedo

Edit: Didn't read.

Now I'm trying to think of what options my (warrior control) deck would have for dealing with that. That combo can definitely push you into doing some inefficent things to get that wyrm removed before it gains too much steam, depending on your opening hand.

Whirlwind, Execute.
Taskmaster, Execute.
Cleave, possible execute, or just wait til next turn and take the damage (you are a control warrior!).
Armor up, Shield Slam

But overall, you have to be okay with taking a hit or two, especially as a control warrior.

JesseZao

https://mobile.twitter.com/bdbrode/status/486875376531308544

Fuck you blizzard. They've now given 2 contradictory explanations on why we'll have to use dust to make golden naxx cards.

Bli$$ard

People that want all gold cards are the type that will blow money to get meaningless cosmetic items in games. They know exactly what they're doing. This tweet was at least closer to the honest reason.

I'm just bummed they took away a challenge/achievement goal when they made this change.

frequency

I think gold cards look tacky. So far all my gold cards I've just disenchanted and made the regular version with the dust.

I hope I don't change my mind about gold cards in the future!

scy

I mean, Ben Brode's is more likely the real reason: If they were tied to an in-game accomplishment, it would merely be "follow strat, acquire cards." At least crafting them ties a time component to it just like current Gold Basics with Class levels. And, well, more potential for $$$.

That said, Zeriyah's follow-up post was that it used to be beat the Heroic Modes and spend dust and then became just spend dust to make it more accessible.

zoukka

Because everybody has a 3 damage removal spell on Turn 2, right?

Because you are dead after a 2 attack wyrm hits you once or twice? Come on son.

Mirror image is a bitchy card to play against as warrior, that's why you play pyromancers. Generally speaking aggro mage feels just a poor mans zoo as warrior and has never posed a real threat to me imo.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Because you are dead after a 2 attack wyrm hits you once or twice? Come on son.

3 attack, not 2. The coin counts.

Your opponent will also have other plays on Turn 2 which similarly would be difficult to punish because it would be behind the two mirror images.

I don't think its worth an auto concede but it's a stupidly good start.

johnsmith

remember me
Turn 1 mana wyrm
Turn 2 sorcerer's apprentice, coin,
Mana wyrm, mirror image, arcane missiles

I've actually seen this play, multiple times.

frequency

I'd rather face zoo than aggro mage. I can stabilize against zoo even at low life with a wall of taunts.

With mage I may as well just concede if they get a good start. Taunts do nothing against their spells.

I'm sure zoo is more consistent overall though.

Violet_0

Banned
Turn 1 mana wyrm
Turn 2 sorcerer's apprentice,
Mana wyrm, coin, mirror image, arcane missiles

I've actually seen this play, multiple times.

my last turn 5 win was with a turn 1 mana wyrm turn 2 berserker coin mirror image opening
back when I used to main mage this happened quite frequently

LaneDS

Whirlwind, Execute.
Taskmaster, Execute.
Cleave, possible execute, or just wait til next turn and take the damage (you are a control warrior!).
Armor up, Shield Slam

But overall, you have to be okay with taking a hit or two, especially as a control warrior.

Yeah, wasn't saying I couldn't think of options, but I generally dislike having to execute anything that early on and think everything there (aside from shield slam) is unfortunate to be forced into that early.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I just got beaten by a guy in the arena running a warlock murloc deck. Seriously, every card except one was a murloc. How the hell does that happen?

ChrisW

Screen_Shot_2014_07_09_at_20_49_06.png

So this is my current Freeze Mage, based on Trump's selection (Few cards missing) I've currently got 620 dust with the option to disenchant "Deathwing" for 400, bringing my total to 1,000.

Is there anything you would suggest for my Mage or Miracle Rouge? or just cards that would fit into any deck?

or should I hold out for another 500/600 to get a decent legendary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom