• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
You need lightning storm. And luck.

I run two lightning storms, but they are no perfect against zoo, You need to win those first couple of turns but the overload gives them plenty of time to refill their board, You can completely forgot about placing totems and your other removals have significant drawbacks as well

ViviOggi

I'm surprised how well Control Warrior deals with Zoo and aggro decks in general. It's often down to the wire but I usually come out on top. Streaked hard to Rank 5, I'll probably grind Legend this season.

Naxx cards? Buying the wings hands down. You can expect strategies to beat the wings early.

What I think he meant was what was more efficient, using your gold to buy naxx wings or using your gold to buy card packs(current ones that is) and buying naxx with real money instead. And the later is the more efficient, in the sense that Naxx pricing especially in bundles is A LOT more cost effective than everything else in the game, even if you buy like 80packs or whatever the maximum is.

On the other hand obviously, if you have plenty of gold you can just buy both with gold and not spend any real money but probably not relevant for the question. If you don't mind paying for naxx, then you're better off spending your gold on packs and buying naxx with money than buy card packs with money and naxx with gold.

Afaik you can't buy naxx cards at all. You have to unlock the wings to unlock the cards by beating them, then you can buy golden version of the cards you've unlocked via the "adventure mode" with dusts(not gold). Heroic mode version rewards is still up in the air, card backs for each wings maybe?

NBtoaster

two things:
winning against zoo as shaman is literally impossible. You are always behind and at no point can you swing around the game like with ramp druid
the win% of handlocks starting with double mountain giant must be ridicules. I was a fucking shaman with hex and earthshock in my starting hand and the game was still completely one-sided

I think they're one of the better classes against zoo, they have a lot of answers. Earthshocks for argent squires, leper gnomes and young priestess, lightning bolt for flame Imps and wolves, hex for doomguard, feral spirit and lightning storm slows them down a lot, and fire elemental kills a minion for free.

Xanathus

If you're planning on playing Hearthstone long term and can afford Naxx using only gold, you should use your gold because they're likely going to take a long time till the next expansion and you would have enough gold to buy it by that time assuming you keep up with your quests.

Cipherr

Kripp is a super boring streamer IMO. I always wonder why he can get so many viewers.

It seems to be polarizing. Kripp is the type of streamer I like. I like to watch the game/games be played at a high level. I don't care for stream chat interaction. I hate nothing more than streams where the streamer talks to the chat all fucking day. Its so goddamned retarded. I do not want to hear you drone on answering people who ask you to show us your fucking cat, or telling us about the poster on the wall behind you.... STFU and talk gameplay/strat.

Kripp basically ignores the chat and plays the games and only verbalized his card moves and why he made the trade he made etc... I can leave that on in the background while working, or watch it just fine because there's no annoying mindless banter.

Xanathus

It looks like Kripp is getting bored of Hearthstone now though with his dual-game playing shenanigans lately but Naxx will probably change that.

Beat a control warrior with my handlock (my worst matchup with that deck).

Faceless'd his sylvanas and then power overwhelming'd it so I could steal his sylvanas. 6 mana mind control is real.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Today, Magic 2015 is released :D

Aaaaaaaaaaand back to Hearthstone.

Minsc

Gold Member
Shame about these two things for MtG DotP 2015 (from this review):

Multiplayer is back but sad to say does not feature the 2-Headed Giant format that players have come to love. Instead you can now have up to four players engaged in a free for all duel. Players can use any of the cards they have gained access to and any of the decks they choose. Hopefully 2-Headed Giant will be added in a later update, but I wouldn’t hold our breath.

It should also be noted that although the client is free to download, the game is not free to play. You will only get access to the Innistrad plane with your free download, and everything after that costs extra. To unlock the remaining planes, you will need to shell out $12.99 (or if you buy them individually they are $3.79 each). This isn’t too bad as it puts the price on par with Magic 2014. Unfortunately, even if you buy all of the planes, (or the $25 complete bundle that is supposed to unlock every chapter and collectible card in the game) there are still 14 booster packs worth of cards that cannot be gotten during regular gameplay and have to be purchased as “Premium Booster Packs. Each premium pack will set you back $2.49, which means that to unlock every chapter and every card you will be set back $47.85 (or you can skip the middle man and buy the whole shebang for the discounted price of $43.99).

I really wish they would make DotP in to a non-numbered product like Hearthstone, and just expand it every year. Otherwise, there's little point in dumping $50 in to it for me, just to have it be wiped cleaned by next year's model. I expect my TCG/CCGs to be supported for longer than 1 year.

I also commented before on the apparent lessening of interest in the product this year (no |OT| prior to release, unlike last year), which I guess is in part due to Hearthstone even if many DotP / MtG players don't agree.

Also there's this in MtG 2015:

You are limited to the number of cards of each rarity that you can put into your deck. You can have 4 of a single common in the deck (similar to the paper game), then 3 of each uncommon, 2 of each rare and one of each mythic. So while you can still do a LOT with these decks, you wont be able to make them into the extreme powerhouses that you might think.

Which I find very puzzling. I don't know how you make cards that can be 4-of in a deck in paper, but limit them to 1-of in the digital product, and expect it to be balanced. That's a huge nerf to anything not common.

Shame about these two things for MtG DotP 2015 (from this review):

I really wish they would make DotP in to a non-numbered product like Hearthstone, and just expand it every year. Otherwise, there's little point in dumping $50 in to it for me, just to have it be wiped cleaned by next year's model. I expect my TCG/CCGs to be supported for longer than 1 year.

I also commented before on the apparent lessening of interest in the product this year (no |OT| prior to release, unlike last year), which I guess is in part due to Hearthstone even if many DotP / MtG players don't agree.

Which I find very puzzling. I don't know how you make cards that can be 4-of in a deck in paper, but limit them to 1-of in the digital product, and expect it to be balanced. That's a huge nerf to anything not common.

I got excited seeing that DOTP 2015 was being released today (I pre-ordered on steam day 1) but now that I see the above I feel it's going to be extremely disappointing. Especially the "pay to win" boosters. I'll still play it but if the netcode is absolute garbage again (like in 2014) it will be short lived.

Tarazet

I'm surprised how well Control Warrior deals with Zoo and aggro decks in general. It's often down to the wire but I usually come out on top. Streaked hard to Rank 5, I'll probably grind Legend this season.

Control Warrior works really well because it turns aggro decks backwards. Shockadins just collapse when they see they're out of cards, used their Divine Favor already and still have 50 hp to burn through.

J0dy77

I really can't understand WotC. I, along with others, have been posting on their forums for a real/true magic online client for years and years and years. They refuse to embrace digital for fear of ruining their physical card sales, i just can't follow the logic. Hex was able to raise millions of dollars through kickstarter on an unproven product and developer just based on the idea of full/true digital CCG. Imagine how much money WotC would have raised if it was a Magic Kickstarter? They are costing themselves so much money by overcharging for their digital product and not embracing the format people are clamoring for.

As for the yearly magic versions they're such a tease. Why can't they just charge me $60 for the full set of standard cards for? Let me have the planeswalkers, create whatever deck I like, let me join draft simulated tournaments. It's still wouldn't be the full magic experience since it is only one block of cards but would give people the a true magic experience.

Zafir

That's kind of disappointing. I've not really played Magic much, I think I may have played the first DoTP game way back when, but I bought it because I heard it had a decent single player mode and I've been in the mood for card games. The store page seems rather misleading though. I did get the complete edition(not for full price though) thinking what it included was things that wasn't already available and I wouldn't have to buy anything again. :I Evidentally that was wrong.

frequency

I dont think Kripp has a problem with Trump..and Ek0p just watched to much show wrestling...

Kripp said he doesn't respect Trump anymore (though he feels Trump is still a good player). He didn't call Trump greedy but hinted towards that as the reason. An example he gave was when Trump had a subscriber drive weekend where he would hug his teddy bear every X subscribers as the subscription incentive.

Trump is mostly fine to me. I like him because his stream and chat are clean and family friendly.

He's honest about why he's streaming. He wants to make money from it and stream as a long term career. It's not just a fun aside thing. He intends to do it for a living for as long as he can.

Some people can see that as greed. I don't consider it greed. He's honest about wanting to make a living out of it. Making a living is not being greedy. But I can definitely see why people say it's greed when he does stupid stuff like streaming himself watching another streamer.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
But I can definitely see why people say it's greed when he does stupid stuff like streaming himself watching another streamer.

If you don't want to watch him watching somebody else, then don't watch him when he's doing that. If people stop watching him when he's doing stupid stuff then people won't watch him and he won't get any money from it. Let the "market" decide what he should and shouldn't stream.

WotC's mishandling of MtG in the digital space is baffling and the only reason something like Hearthstone even exists. They've somehow gone over a decade without making Magic Online into what it should be and the DotP series is a very poor substitute. WotC have no one to blame but themselves if Hearthstone starts stealing their audience.

That said I already pre-ordered Magic 2015.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Blizz should've released Naxx this week to counter Magic 2015.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Kripp is love. Kripp is life.

I hate all streamers that read off new subs, donations, and/or have cash or sub goals for crap.

Trumps success is confusing to me with his autistic anti-charisma.

inky

He's honest about why he's streaming. He wants to make money from it and stream as a long term career. It's not just a fun aside thing. He intends to do it for a living for as long as he can.

Any streamer who does it with any regularity thinks this way, so I don't see why anyone would get points for being honest about that. It is obvious that all streamers are aware streaming + YT is booming and people are spending a lot of time and money on them. That is why they do the sub goals and sub/donation dance and sub only giveaways in the first place.

The sub cycle of asking for donations, the pop up covering the stream, and reading each and every one of their donator comments (which takes 95% of the time from the stream unless you are like a LoL player with 30k subs already) is pretty tiring if you just want to see people playing the game. Yes, they are honest about wanting to live off playing games. I don't see why I should care about that.

Kripp's cynicism is close to mine I guess, so that is why I enjoy him as bg noise.

Kripp said he doesn't respect Trump anymore (though he feels Trump is still a good player). He didn't call Trump greedy but hinted towards that as the reason. An example he gave was when Trump had a subscriber drive weekend where he would hug his teddy bear every X subscribers as the subscription incentive.

This is the lamest thing I've ever heard in my life. I wouldn't fault Trump for being greedy because of this, I'd fault him for being a huge dork.

frequency

If you don't want to watch him watching somebody else, then don't watch him when he's doing that. If people stop watching him when he's doing stupid stuff then people won't watch him and he won't get any money from it. Let the "market" decide what he should and shouldn't stream.

I don't watch him during those.

But enough other people do that he continues to do it. And it probably will continue to happen.

I think it's stupid.

I'm allowed to be critical am I not? Or is it just be happy or be quiet?

I don't even care that much. If I want to watch Hearthstone while he's doing that, Realz is usually streaming at the same time. Plus I kind of prefer Realz overall anyway now (Trump used to be my top to watch). I was just saying that it's silly when he does that and it helps me to understand a perspective that I didn't before. I thought Ek0p and Kripp were just "salty" at not being as successful before. But now I understand more where they're coming from.

Violet_0

Banned
Blizz should've released Naxx this week to counter Magic 2015.

nah, it's better this way, I can take a small break from HS

regarding Magic 2015, those premium booster and the lack of two-headed giant (for now, anyway) is a bit of an annoyance. You get one booster with the pre-order, not sure if I'm willing to spend any more money on the game until they release the dlc expansions. Oh well, two more hours until it unlocks on Steam. Did anyone make a OT yet?

Yoshichan

Basic mage control deck (constructed) Any suggestions?

7sfujxf.png

nah, it's better this way, I can take a small break from HS

regarding Magic 2015, those premium booster and the lack of two-headed giant (for now, anyway) is a bit of an annoyance. You get one booster with the pre-order, not sure if I'm willing to spend any more money on the game until they release the dlc expansions. Oh well, two more hours until it unlocks on Steam. Did anyone make a OT yet?

There's no OT yet.

Can someone explain to me what is so important about the Two Headed Giant? Is it the card itself or does it stand for a certain something in the game?

It's a 2v2 multiplayer mode.

Violet_0

Banned
Basic mage control deck (constructed) Any suggestions?

http://i.imgur.com/7sfujxf.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

take out Gurubashi, Mercenary. Maybe one more Acolyte of Pain. I'd replace Auctioneer with Antonidas if you have him. Looks pretty similar to Trump's basic mage list (and my old mage deck, I used Cairne, Rag and Bloodmage instead of the Ogres). Consider playing Ice Lance for extra burst damage

Yoshichan

take out Gurubashi, Mercenary. Maybe one more Acolyte of Pain. I'd replace Auctioneer with Antonidas if you have him. Looks pretty similar to Trump's basic mage list (and my old mage deck, I used Cairne, Rag and Bloodmage instead of the Ogres). Consider playing Ice Lance for extra burst damage
Ok changed Gurubashi with Acolyte of Pain. I don't have Antonidas, of course :p I don't have any legendaries, basically.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Can anyone suggested anything for a Druid deck that doesn't have most of the good Druid cards? I don't have Force of Natures or Keeper of the Groves or Ancient of Lores. No Sunwalkers or Argent Commanders either.

I've just been running with Violet Teachers, spawning as many dudes as I can and then dropping Soul of the Forest, then Savage Roaring. It works great when I can pull that off but it's like maybe 1/5 games.

Is there anything I can do? Whenever I get Druid quests I've been trying to cheese it out with Murlocs but that's pretty boring and also is about as effective as my Violet Teacher deck anyway.

I just crafted my first legendary. I was trying to decide between Leeroy, Sylvanas, and Cairne. I figured that with Naxx coming up I should go with a death rattle minion, so it was really between Sylvanas and Cairne. I decided on Cairne, because he's a little less situational than Sylvanas and isn't affected by RNG.

ZealousD

Gurubashi Berserker is a weird card. I feel like it should be better card than it really is. Maybe its just that the starting stats are so bad for the cost. Too slow and too situational otherwise.

ZealousD

Can anyone suggested anything for a Druid deck that doesn't have most of the good Druid cards? I don't have Force of Natures or Keeper of the Groves or Ancient of Lores. No Sunwalkers or Argent Commanders either.

There's no getting around it. Druids need epics. Token Druid is cheaper than most Druid decks but you won't get far without a Force of Nature or Ancient of Lores.

Violet_0

Banned

I started playing druid when I had one Keeper, FoN, Ancient of Lore and Ancient of War (and a Sunwalker and Argent Commanders). If you don't have any of these card, it's really tough to play druid honestly

Borgnine

:(

Ok, well I guess I'm going to finally learn Hunter then. My strategy will be to play all of the secrets, because I hate that shit.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
All of my classes are level 30+ except druid which is only 15 because I still haven't gotten one Ancient of Lore/War or Force of Nature

inky

All of my classes are level 30+ except druid which is only 15 because I still haven't gotten one Ancient of Lore/War or Force of Nature

Just craft one of them. My Druid is almost level 60 with only 1 Ancient of Lore out of all of those. I've made it to rank 5 before with only my Malygos deck.

Tacitus_

Gurubashi Berserker is a weird card. I feel like it should be better card than it really is. Maybe its just that the starting stats are so bad for the cost. Too slow and too situational otherwise.

It gets countered so badly by the kodo, and it can't really trade before it starts berserking. Maybe if it had 3 attack it would be played.

Alrus

I watched Forsen's stream based on recommendation and the chat is absolutely toxic... Trump might be boring (I really enjoy his arena runs though), but at least you don't have to read cancerous shit while watching.

Thinking about switching Young Priestress out of my Zoo for 2 Hellfire. There's tons of aggro deck on the ladder and right now I basically loose if my starting hand is shit (which happened 4 times in a row, I get stuff like 2 Argent and a Dwarf, or even worse 2 Doomguard and a Soulfire...)

ViviOggi

It gets countered so badly by the kodo, and it can't really trade before it starts berserking. Maybe if it had 3 attack it would be played.

That's what I was thinking too, but then it would probably be too strong even outside of Mage/Arena. Right now it's just a 6/6 for 7 mana.

ShinNL

I don't have any Force of Natures either and I'm doing just fine with my Druid decks. People are just very limited in creativity when they say you can't build a deck without the Ancients and FoN (which I have been doing for the longest time).

You first have to understand what type of deck you're attempting to build.

Your Violet teacher combo is basically based on zerging, same with Murlocs.

FoN is a combo finisher and as with most combos, you want them in your hand when your mana allows it, hence Ancient of Lores.

The last type is control. With control you don't expect a burst to win you the win, but just strong, safe boards and enough HP to not die.

With that theme in mind, you can look at what common cards will provide this:

1. Ancient Watcher + Sunfury / Argus is great defensive value. Druid of the Claw is probably one of the best value taunts as well.

2. Healing Touch and Earthen Farseer will provide you the sustainability to go to the late game.

3. Wrath and Swipe can slow down zerg decks. An extra Starfall can help a lot as well to reduce the need to topdeck Swipe when getting zerged. Don't forget that Harvest Golem is one of the hardest to remove creatures for it's mana cost, so adding those to your deck will help a lot with anti-aggro as well.

4. Add plenty of late game cards. If you have Legendaries like Sylvanas, Cairne, Ragnaros, Cenarius, by all means, add them. If you don't, you still need high mana cards, so go for things like Boulderfist Ogre and Ironbark Protector.

5. Of course, when playing late game, you will face other late game players as well. Depending on how many Legendaries you add of your own, you need to add more counters if you don't have them. Black Knight, Big Game Hunter, Faceless Manipulator are strong anti control cards. If you're more budget, consider Neutralize and Starfires in your deck so you have some way to answer something like a Ragnaros or Ysera. It makes sense that answering a Yeti with a Ragnaros is stronger than casting a Starfire, so try to balance this (I don't know how many other good cards you have).

6. Make sure you have some good draws. Loot Hoarders and Azure Drakes are great for having something to play while allowing you to grow your hand size.

7. Druid can get away with more late game cards than regular decks because of Innervate and Wild Growth. Remember that when building your deck and don't force yourself into too many small minions.

Example budget deck:

Spells (12):
1x Neutralize
2x Innervate
2x Wrath
2x Healing Touch
2x Swipe
1x Starfall
2x Starfire

Minions (18):
2x Loot Hoarder
2x Ancient Watcher
2x Sunfury Protector
2x Harvest Golem
2x Earthen Farseer
2x Defender of Argus
2x Druid of the Claw
2x Azure Drake
2x Ironbark Protector

Borgnine

Thank you for all this. Basically you're saying I still need to build into big shit but it doesn't have to be specific big shit. This gives me more options though.

I finished my 5 wins with Druid or Hunter quest with a 5-1 Hunter run though because that class is filthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom