• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zemm

I can't ever remember facing a paladin like that and I've played quite a lot, just lucky I guess. For me it's all murlocs right now, I have a decent deck to combat them but it almost always comes down to what cards I draw and in which order, probably a 60/40 W/L against them.

zoukka

Surviving Yetis, DotC's, Ancients, legendary fatties amd hard counters on curve starting from turn 2 or three and not dying on two combos is rewarding.

But also taxing, so very taxing. Crushing feeble and fast aggro decks is a breeze.

Zemm

Watching two miracles try to out auctioneer each other is one of the dumbest things I've seen in a while :D (forsen's stream)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anyone got a video where I can see two Miracle Rogues battling out?

J0dy77

Anyone else really despise arena? Finally get Mage 3 times in a row after not seeing it for about dozen runs and I get just the worst possible draws. Didn't see a frostbolt or fireball the last two builds and the first time they stayed buried in my deck. Awful rares, murlocs and secret keepers anyone? Then i'm playing Warriors with double shield slam and Gorehowl as my 0-2 game.

I don't mind getting top decked or losing in Ranked because I know what's coming and the deck is partially my fault. Getting forced to play an awful deck for 3 losses is tediou and I only play it for the potential reward benefit.

/rant off

What a satisfying kill. I was facing a Druid with my Priest deck and he crushed my Hogger defenses and then smashed me with all of his might. After using his last 2 mana for the hero power he left me with 1 HP. Too bad he was way too arrogant and left my Pint-sized Summoner untouched and I was able to unleash my Velen + 2x Mind Blast combo. Then finished him off with the Summoner...so good.

ViviOggi

Anyone else really despise arena? Finally get Mage 3 times in a row after not seeing it for about dozen runs and I get just the worst possible draws. Didn't see a frostbolt or fireball the last two builds and the first time they stayed buried in my deck. Awful rares, murlocs and secret keepers anyone? Then i'm playing Warriors with double shield slam and Gorehowl as my 0-2 game.

I don't mind getting top decked or losing in Ranked because I know what's coming and the deck is partially my fault. Getting forced to play an awful deck for 3 losses is tediou and I only play it for the potential reward benefit.

/rant off
Everyone gets a dud from time to time but pretty much no deck should go 0-3 by default if you're a decent drafter. You'd have to be unlucky enough to face three opponents with crazy decks in a row and the likelihood of that happening decreases with every loss. I can't check my stats right now but I finish with less than three wins in like one out if ten runs. It's just a matter of experience.

LaneDS

My luck with ranked control warrior has been pretty shitty lately, combined with constantly coming up against decks mine just doesn't seem well suited to deal with. Wondering if I should just keep on with it (hovering around rank 9) or switch to some aggro deck.

Alrus

Damn Arena hunter with 3 Unleash in a row. All that with a Timber wolf I never managed to take out before he was done of course.

Well no matter, I have 3 guardians of Kings and a lay on hand :p

I just bought a $20 gift card at Gamestop for $15. This works! They just started selling generic Battle.net gift cards so they weren't displayed yet. The guy found them in the system and checked the back and brought one up for me.

So tempting. I have $84 on a gamestop gift card that I've been debating what to do with. Seems like maybe it's time to pony up more than the $2.99 I've given them so far. Geblin was not worth that effort, but maybe I can snag a useful legendary from the 2800 gold I have hoarded lol.

$15 seems like a pretty fair deal!

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
I just bought a $20 gift card at Gamestop for $15. This works! They just started selling generic Battle.net gift cards so they weren't displayed yet. The guy found them in the system and checked the back and brought one up for me.

I just got one a few hours ago too. I have enough gold for Naxx, but it seems like the $15 is a better deal considering how much the corresponding amount of gold is worth.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fuck this shit game :)

Can't wait for Naxx, hopefully it makes this shit game into a good game.

Boba2007

So this just happened in Arena...

TYPgokU.png

Used Alextraza on the Mage and then whacked her with the Assassin. Next turn I used the Korkron + a topdecked Argent Commander for the kill (because she removed the stuff already on the board).

I actually feel kinda bad...

de1irium

Hey, did the GAF Hearthstone tournament start yet? Don't see a thread, but I've been traveling a lot recently and don't want to miss it.

Hey, did the GAF Hearthstone tournament start yet? Don't see a thread, but I've been traveling a lot recently and don't want to miss it.

Last I knew there have been two already, I don't know if there is going to be another one soon though. I don't know the username, but look for the Real Lotion Physics tag guy, he was running them last I knew.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"Real lotion physics guy" should be his new tag.

Cipherr

Everyone gets a dud from time to time but pretty much no deck should go 0-3 by default if you're a decent drafter. You'd have to be unlucky enough to face three opponents with crazy decks in a row and the likelihood of that happening decreases with every loss. I can't check my stats right now but I finish with less than three wins in like one out if ten runs. It's just a matter of experience.

I would think it increases with the further you get though. Get 6 wins in and Ill bet thats a bit of a wall as you start to see some ridiculous decks. Arena as it stands right now is extremely unattractive to me. I just play non ranked casual. I much prefer building a deck than adding yet ANOTHER level of stupid RNG to this game.

I just lost two games in a row to players using fucking deathwing after I traded them perfectly all game. Only for them to play a fucking card that clears my board and discards the 0 cards left in their hand, then Im stuck drawing waiting for my BGH or SW:D or ANYTHING because my opponent has 3 HP.

Just bullshit. Outplay someone thoroughly only to have RNG say NOPE for 5 straight draws while the opponent slowly wins.

scy

Outplay someone thoroughly only to have RNG say NOPE for 5 straight draws while the opponent slowly wins.

I mean ... isn't it a bit off to assume you made the best plays leading up to it? Especially if it's as close as you're describing. Sure, you can't know there's a Deathwing coming up but there's still value in ending the game at the earliest opportunity. Constantly trading for their board, even if you're left with the better board, may not always be the best call.

I think if you're just starting off with "I played it perfectly and they RNG'd me" is just a sure-route way to get angry at RNG. Look for the factors you had control over because I guarantee you that you had mistakes. There's always a mistake.

Cipherr

I mean ... isn't it a bit off to assume you made the best plays leading up to it? Especially if it's as close as you're describing. Sure, you can't know there's a Deathwing coming up but there's still value in ending the game at the earliest opportunity. Constantly trading for their board, even if you're left with the better board, may not always be the best call.

I think if you're just starting off with "I played it perfectly and they RNG'd me" is just a sure-route way to get angry at RNG. Look for the factors you had control over because I guarantee you that you had mistakes. There's always a mistake.

Its wasnt close. These are guys that had 5 and 3 hp respectively with 0 cards in hand. To my 30 HP and hand full of cards. They dry draw each turn until pulling a deathwing that discards their 0 cards leaving me with my full hand. But none of my removal had drawn to that point.

So they have a clear board with their 12/12 sitting on it. I survived 5 turns instead of dying in 3 (30 hp vs a 12 attack minion) by the sheer volume of cards in my hand at that point because of how well I played. But after the DW clears the board, they just dry draw behind it clearing everything sloooooooowly and when my removal doesn't come in time, dead.

Edit: The games would have been done way sooner than the time that they got to draw Deathwing were it not for their class specific cards that I don't have access to yet because I'm new. I can out trade and outplay them, but I cant force the game to a close as quickly as I would like when they have stuff like Aldor peacekeeper to use on my relatively basic decks.

Well those kinds of comebacks are very rare and unrealiable.

They definitely are, it just sucks to get two in one night when it already feels uphill at times.

zoukka

Its wasnt close. These are guys that had 5 and 3 hp respectively with 0 cards in hand. To my 30 HP and hand full of cards. They dry draw each turn until pulling a deathwing that discards their 0 cards leaving me with my full hand. But none of my removal had drawn to that point.

So they have a clear board with their 12/12 sitting on it. I survived 5 turns instead of dying in 3 (30 hp vs a 12 attack minion) by the sheer volume of cards in my hand at that point because of how well I played. But after the DW clears the board, they just dry draw behind it clearing everything sloooooooowly and when my removal doesn't come in time, dead.

Well those kinds of comebacks are very rare and unrealiable.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Anyone else really despise arena?

Yes. I much prefer ranked play with my own decks and cards over random decks and cards. When I lose in ranked constructed I almost always know why I lost and how I could have played better. When I lose in arena I almost always get frustrated at the crappy deck the RNG Gods have allowed me to build. I find it very difficult / frustrating trying to build any deck symmetry or cohesiveness with random cards being thrown at me, and more often than not I end up with a jumbled mess of good cards that just don't play well together.

I stick to constructed now and am much happier.

frequency

I used to hate arena but I've come to like it more than constructed. Like you said, it's nice to play and see cards that have been passed over in the current meta and not just running into the same old decks over and over again. You just have to stick with it until you get the hang of it. I used to forgo arena and just used my gold to buy packs outright. I ended up losing out on a lot of arena experience. Eventually I went back and stuck it out until now I feel a lot more comfortable with it and am finally seeing a return on my investment.

I was the exact same way about Arena. Buying packs too.

But I just don't like the current meta (though I think it's the most varied it's ever been, it's a bit too rush/combo burst for my tastes). So I forced myself to try Arena. I'm really liking it. My only problem with it so far is the entry fee. It makes me nervous when I play.

Minsc

Gold Member
I was the exact same way about Arena. Buying packs too.

But I just don't like the current meta (though I think it's the most varied it's ever been, it's a bit too rush/combo burst for my tastes). So I forced myself to try Arena. I'm really liking it. My only problem with it so far is the entry fee. It makes me nervous when I play.

Try thinking of losing as still winning, even if you lose you're still getting packs to open to fill out your collection.

If it's a matter getting low on gold reserves and possibly not being able to do another arena, maybe skip a few weeks from doing any arenas (or just do a single arena battle per day, win or loss, leaving the same arena open for a week+) and just complete dailies without actually opening any packs. Or maybe just allow yourself 1 pack per 200 gold so you're always increasing your reserves. Get a few thousand gold in reserve then return to arena / increase the arena battles you play per day.

If it's just nerves, I think it's best to plan out how you are going to open the match (look at your card list and determine exactly what 1, 2 or 3-drops you're going to mulligan for before starting), then simply expect to lose when you're being matched to an opponent. If you start the match expecting to lose it, you shouldn't be as nervous.

frequency

Try thinking of losing as still winning, even if you lose you're still getting packs to open to fill out your collection.

If it's a matter getting low on gold reserves and possibly not being able to do another arena, maybe skip a few weeks from doing any arenas (or just do a single arena battle per day, win or loss, leaving the same arena open for a week+) and just complete dailies without actually opening any packs. Or maybe just allow yourself 1 pack per 200 gold so you're always increasing your reserves. Get a few thousand gold in reserve then return to arena / increase the arena battles you play per day.

If it's just nerves, I think it's best to plan out how you are going to open the match (look at your card list and determine exactly what 1, 2 or 3-drops you're going to mulligan for before starting), then simply expect to lose when you're being matched to an opponent. If you start the match expecting to lose it, you shouldn't be as nervous.

Thank you for the advice.

It is just nerves. I have a lot of gold saved up in anticipation of Naxx (I was preparing for worst case of ~1000 gold per wing).

Just having an entry fee makes me feel like I must perform better to justify the cost. I'm sure I'll get used to it with time though.

CradleOfMan

Neo Member
I would think it increases with the further you get though. Get 6 wins in and Ill bet thats a bit of a wall as you start to see some ridiculous decks. Arena as it stands right now is extremely unattractive to me. I just play non ranked casual. I much prefer building a deck than adding yet ANOTHER level of stupid RNG to this game.

I just lost two games in a row to players using fucking deathwing after I traded them perfectly all game. Only for them to play a fucking card that clears my board and discards the 0 cards left in their hand, then Im stuck drawing waiting for my BGH or SW:D or ANYTHING because my opponent has 3 HP.

Just bullshit. Outplay someone thoroughly only to have RNG say NOPE for 5 straight draws while the opponent slowly wins.

You're right that you're likely to meet ridiculous decks from 6 wins up. That's right where I mostly start meeting them. And you're definitely going to hit Deathwing type plays snatching victory from your solid play. The argument I make, and others here, is that if you learn to draft decently you'll come out ahead of buying packs and have fun at the same time. The key to having fun is to accept the RNG against you, knowing you'll get the same over time going for you. My most satisfying wins in arena come when I play well enough with a solid draft of commons and rares that I can see a couple of legendary/epic bombs on the other side and still pull through.

Special C

Only in Arena,

I had a Tiger on the board along with a Windfury and Rockbiter I was going to use that turn. Until I drew another Tiger. I already had a bloodlust. I decided to play the other Tiger and end my turn.

Next Turn I'm going to play the Bloodlust, Windfury, and Rockbiter.

Exactly 30 damage for the kill.

Nope, Got Lighting Bolted twice and some other stuff I don't remember for lethal. I wanted that combo so bad.....

zoukka

Thank you for the advice.

It is just nerves. I have a lot of gold saved up in anticipation of Naxx (I was preparing for worst case of ~1000 gold per wing).

Just having an entry fee makes me feel like I must perform better to justify the cost. I'm sure I'll get used to it with time though.

Just imagine that one Draft ("arena") costs about 12 euros in MTGO. Hearthstone is pressure free if you have played MTGO :)

this game likes to give me the shit.
I draft a good deck in Arena, a druid with 4 swipes.

5 matches and I don't draw a single f-ing one of them.

Yoshichan

HOW MANY MORE HOURS

I'M DYING OF HYPEEE

scy

In regards to Arena, personally I love(d) it. It's less RNG-laden than I feel this thread tries to make it out to be. RNG manipulates the outliers in your games, not the average. The average will be determined by you.

Its wasnt close. These are guys that had 5 and 3 hp respectively with 0 cards in hand.

I think you misunderstand what I meant: I meant if you were this close to winning. A few HP. You can sit there and say "I did it all perfectly!" but that seems to me an easy way to just not look at your game instead. If you were that close to winning, where did you lose a point or two of damage? Any turns you traded when you had no real need to? Things like that. Starting with the assumption "I'm outplaying them and then losing to RNG" just ignores what could have been mistakes that got you there in the first place.

I get the "fuck you" that is Deathwing but I'm really just talking about the whole "I played perfectly" mentality. I just don't think it's a healthy mentality to have in a game like this since it creates blind spots to your play.

Edit: The games would have been done way sooner than the time that they got to draw Deathwing were it not for their class specific cards that I don't have access to yet because I'm new.

I thought this was about Arena?

ViviOggi

“This guy's deck is CRAZY!” ☑ “My deck can't win against a deck like that” ☑ "He NEEDED precisely those two cards to win" ☑ “He topdecked the only card that could beat me” ☑ "He had the perfect cards" ☑ “There was nothing I could do” ☑ “I played that perfectly” ☑ "I had an UNBELIEVABLY BAD start". ☑

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom