• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Better

To me, the hardest thing about arena play is figuring out what I did wrong in a loss, unless I remember an obvious mistake. One thing that I've noticed, in comparison to streamers, I play too quickly.

Minsc

Gold Member
JmPHiol.jpg
hMYUFLq.jpg
WuZLhG3.jpg

I think these are all the new ones, it was also said there were more to be shown at 10AM PDT.

scy

To me, the hardest thing about arena play is figuring out what I did wrong in a loss, unless I remember an obvious mistake. One thing that I've noticed, in comparison to streamers, I play too quickly.

Thank god for that replay f..

Damn.

One of the easier ways I did when I wanted to get better at Arena was to just drag a friend into Arena runs and just discussed the picks and turns and so-on. Just led to naturally slowing the game down and helped to catch certain things (aka, when you get too greedy about the board and leave yourself with 4 minions at 2 health and everything gets Starfall'd on Turn 5).

Patriarch am cry

that beast upside tho

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Tacitus_

lel, killed a handlock with my midrange hunter on turn 5. He didn't draw any of his soul/hellfires and couldn't get rid of my 6/6 misha nor my scavenging hyena. Nor did his taunted drake save him when I kept a hunters mark from the very start for that reason.

But for it to actually do any work it needs to have more than 1 attack so you need to buff it's attack somehow, and Inner Fire is going to be bad since everyone is gonna be running silences.

Yup it's going all in on one minion that can be wrecked my a single silence, priests can do that now

scy

Stoneskin Gargoyle seems interesting but I'm not entirely sure how relevant it will ever be based off the stats. DoA makes it a 2/5 Taunt, Mark of the Wild makes it a 3/6 Taunt, maybe DWA to just have a 2/4 beater that heals? Warrior minion for Cruel / Inner Rage? Can make it a target of Priest buffs from Cultist, Enforcer with DoA and so-on but this is getting to a long chain. Northshire + Gargoyle draw engine feels meh too. Not sure what kind of package it works best with yet, especially with all these new ways to hit the 4 and 5 damage breakpoints as is.

Mad Scientist is actually really interesting. Potentially. Does it actually remove the secret from your deck? I don't think so, right? If it doesn't, it can put in extra value out of Paladin secrets for freebie revives, pumps, chump blockers or Mage for the value off their non-Ice Block secrets or everyone hates Hunters again. If it does thin the deck ... well, that's certainly something. Considering the relative lack of Secret interaction, could be meaningful. Then again, 2cc 2/2 is awkward to want to use but eh. Awkward part is this is a dead card in Arena to 66% of the classes.

Sludge Belcher is pretty much what I wanted for an anti-Charge minion, though I figured we'd have potentially gotten a reverse Sunfury Protector (Deathrattle for the Taunt to adjacent minions) instead. Regardless, +1cc to add an extra swing requirement is pretty nice on paper and, hey, 5cc competition.

Minsc

Gold Member
Deathlord is going to hurt when it is hitting you as a 16/16 turn 3 heh... owls for everyone I think.

Echoing Ooze sounds interesting if you have some way of easily buffing it, you should get 2x the value out of the buffs then.

Maybe Zombie Chow in a reverse heal/damage priest deck for a 2/3 for 1 mana that does 5 damage to the opposing hero?

Edit: Owls won't even save you from the 16 points of damage, that's basically unpreventable on turn 3, not bad.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The dream: Echoing Ooze + Cold Blood + Conceal on Turn 3.

HUEHUEHUEHUE

Ashodin

Oh yeah that ooze keeps it's state when it copies, so buffing it makes it keep copying lol.

Druid man. 3/4 + 3/4 taunt turn 4.

Paladin, play it, Avenge secret, one dies, buff the other.

Iryx

Deathlord seems insanely strong to me, even with the reverse Mindgames as penalty, especially vs Aggro decks who cant benefit very much from the effect.

scy

Deathlord is going to hurt when it is hitting you as a 16/16 turn 3 heh... owls for everyone I think.

all-in the dream, PW:S PW:S DS DS IF for 48/48!!11!1

Echoing Ooze sounds interesting if you have some way of easily buffing it, you should get 2x the value out of the buffs then.

I'm interested in how it treats DWA/Flametongue/etc. I assume it knows well enough to use the base stats but then you have some other weird interactions that make me hesitate. Still, there's a lot of cheap buffs in general (Mark of the Wild / Power of the Wild, a pre-setup Avenge, Cold Blood / Conceal, etc.) that give turn 3/4 options. It's interesting if nothing else.

Maybe Zombie Chow in a reverse heal/damage priest deck for a 2/3 for 1 mana that does 5 damage to the opposing hero?

Zombie Chows, Auchenai, and Mind Blast suddenly have a really cheap way to burn 20 health. Some Leper Gnomes and it's suddenly a super fast burn deck. From Priest. :lol

Deathlord seems insanely strong to me, even with the reverse Mindgames as penalty, especially vs Aggro decks who cant benefit very much from the effect.

It's hilariously detrimental vs mid-range or Control, though. With the Naxx cards also pushing more Deathrattle minions, there's more non-Battlecry minions to be potentially hitting so you're not even bypassing those that often.

Haly

Tempo Rogue might make a comeback between the Ooze and the Nerubian.

By spamming Conceal and other Stealthers, you can pretty much take over a game without letting your opponent do anything (if they don't have Consecrate/Hellfire).

scy

Scy stop stealing mah combos. Get your own!

my Avenge setup is more a turn 2 token / Mad Scientist, turn 3 Ooze + Avenge with the sacced token to double up the 3/3s :x
also I was just typing slow ;__;

The problem is trying to figure out whether or not it's being a cute trick or something notable.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Why is this pos crashing left and right now?????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scy

If you have to ask...

hohoho

It's also more that there's a lot of brainstorming on new aggro combos and if that breed of aggro is shut out anyway, not really anything to come from it. This broadly applies to pretty much every Ooze setup, really.

Haly

I think Druid will be Ooze's best friend since he's all about affordable permanent buffs.

Once nice interaction between POTW and Ooze is that if you give all your Oozes +1/+1, they'll duplicate themselves as 2/3s, which is a lot better than if you +1/+1 a single Ooze while your other Ooze remains a 1/2.

And there's also the problem of cluttering your board... so I think Shaman is going to have a rough time taking advantage of Ooze.

I am not gonna make it to Legendary before Naxx drops tomorrow. I fear what the fuck will happen to the crazy meta in the upper ranks with whatever cards are available come tomorrow.

I'm hoping people experiment a bunch and make a bunch of shitty decks and I coast up to Legendary.

Ashodin

I am not gonna make it to Legendary before Naxx drops tomorrow. I fear what the fuck will happen to the crazy meta in the upper ranks with whatever cards are available come tomorrow.

I'm hoping people experiment a bunch and make a bunch of shitty decks and I cost up to Legendary.
YOUR PRAYERS WILL BE ANSWERED MY SON

scy

I think Druid will be Ooze's best friend since he's all about affordable permanent buffs.

My gut reaction was Ooze + Mark of the Wild to bolster Token Druid or maybe just an early board hold in Fast Druid. Probably the most reasonable use of it.

I want to live the dream of Ooze + Mark -> Violet Teacher + Power of the Wild (with Coin/Innervate as necessary).

Edit: Actually, my real gut reaction was "holy shit OP as fuck" because I overlooked Battlecry and was like "uhhhhhhhhhh?"

Minsc

Gold Member
How many cards are being added from Naxx? The initial number that I heard was like 40 - has it changed?

The initial number was around 15, it ended up at 30.

People realize Ooze only makes a single copy of itself one time right? Or does summon actually imply the battle cry goes off additional times in future turns? That'd be pretty neat if so.

scy

People realize Ooze only makes a single copy of itself one time right? Or does summon actually imply the battle cry goes off? That'd be pretty neat if so.

I would assume just the initial one does anything. My initial read missed the Battlecry and I went into figuring out ways to chain it into monsters. With a single replication, it's more likely to try to find Turn 3 / Turn 4 trick plays but I'm torn on whether or not post-Naxx will have X/3's or X/4's being relevant on those turn numbers anymore.

Echoing slime seems better than defias ringleader cause there is no combo requirement and the potential to combo makes it even stronger late game since it will replicate buffs. Drop it turn 6 and hit with BOK to make 2 - 5/6s.

Minsc

Gold Member
Looking more Blizzard's forums, priests actually got a 20 damage finisher that ignores taunts, only needs five cards at turn 10:

Auchenai Soulpriest + Baron Rivendare + 2 Zombie Chows + Circle of healing

Throw in a few Mind Blasts for the remaining 10 damage, or just do everyone's favorite mage trick ignore their hero the whole game and play Alexstrasza turn 9 to bring them to an unavoidable lethal (granted a few fireballs and an icebolt are easier to find than both Zombies Chows and Rivendare).

scy

But then you'd have to run Blessing of Kings

Looking more Blizzard's forums, priests actually got a 20 damage finisher that ignores taunts, only needs five cards at turn 10:

We may very well see this kind of setup for Priest. More ways to utilize Auchenai and Zombie Chow even as an early drop to trade gives it some value.

Edit: Though, I'd think it just runs Mind Blast and finds ways to chip damage in rather than the Rivendare setup. But I'd need to look at the full list of Deathrattle stuff to abuse in that kind of Priest shell. It may actually be a good enough deck on it's own to no longer need Thoughtsteal trickery. Hm.

Haly

Edit: Actually, my real gut reaction was "holy shit OP as fuck" because I overlooked Battlecry and was like "uhhhhhhhhhh?"

Oh fuck it's Battlecry.

That's hella lame.

I thought Blizzard printed Pack Rat, kappa.

Yoshichan

Argent Commander
Power Overwhelming
Power Overwhelming

Such a basic move. Fuck you, warlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom