• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Does ranked give you more exp than casual?

Ultrabum

People underestimate how good Blizzard "launch servers" are lately.

It's an old thing and people are still stuck in that world. The "older" games that launched (TBC, WotLK, SC2 and D3) were all complete disasters. However, SC2: HotS, Cata, MoP, D3: RoS and Hearthstone were all released without too many disconnects and whatnot.

Blizzard's fixed their shit.

I'm just gonna quote this in case anyone missed it. Stupid servers....

Celegus

Use a Zoo or Murloc deck. Her hero power becomes useless when you have no cards in your hand.

Haha I'm still not even sure what a zoo is. I never really tried murlocks or played warlock much at all. I really only play casual since ranks mean nothing to me, so I don't know what all the fancy aggro control zoo whatevermajiggers people always talk about are. I'll try some more stuff out on my own first, but if it's not going well maybe I'll try one of those.

This is the deck I used, I made it myself.

freezemagenaxxz3j9h.jpg

The MCTs were huge in the beginning because you would get back your MCT and whatever you stole from him.

I came up with something very similar; main difference was Novice Engineer for recurring card draw and Wolf Rider for recurring damage. Was actually pretty satisfying to design a deck intended to use the AI's hero power against itself rather than throwing a stock ranked deck at it.

Haha I'm still not even sure what a zoo is. I never really tried murlocks or played warlock much at all. I really only play casual since ranks mean nothing to me, so I don't know what all the fancy aggro control zoo whatevermajiggers people always talk about are. I'll try some more stuff out on my own first, but if it's not going well maybe I'll try one of those.

it's call zoo because it has 26 minions and 4 spells. which is weighted towards more minions than your average deck.

you basically fill your deck up with a bunch of efficient minions that cost less than 6 mana. and since you're warlock you can lifetap so you don't just run out of cards.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/35326-budget-reynads-zoo-v2-warlock-aggro

Here's a budget Zoo deck. You don't have to play many games as a warlock to acquire most of these cards listed there. Very easy to get and very easy to use.

Just play minions after minion, after minion and whatever you can from your hand and win. :D

Ronabo

This lag is making the game totally unplayable. Typical blizzard launch.

Totally. I clicked on a spell, went to the bathroom and peed, then got a can of pop from the fridge and it still hadn't finished.

I think I'll just go to bed and try the game tomorrow or later this week.

If you're doing naxx, you can check if it's laggy on first draw and concede right away if it is then requeue. Eventually you'll get on a server that doesn't lag/doesn't lag too much. Can take several tries though, it's pretty annoying.

Interesting that ppl are saying druid for H Anub, I did it with priest. But thats my class, I dont really play anything else.

I used my modified ramp and had a pretty easy go of it. As long as you have big taunts and can faceless a couple of decent minions and have a swipe or two it's just a grind. I think I went down to 7 health or so but the fact is that deck is death by a million cuts and it doesn't have a lot of gas to burst you down at the end. If you survive the inital onslaught which can last even up to turn 8/9/10 you can survive with decent legendaries past that.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Just beat all 3 on heroic using starter cards (I've only gotten maybe about 10 boosters so far.) Here are some tips for my fellow poor players.

4/4 dude - Was the hardest. Used Priest and just filled the deck up with beefy monsters with more than 4 health. Use Circle of Healing, your hero power, Divine Spirit, and Power Word: Shield to make your Yetis plow through multiple Nerubians. Also tried Druid, but they have less healing. Also, he used his 3 dmg Flamestrike spell on me 4 times in a row, so be wary of that bs.

Widow - Used Druid. Bring beefy monsters and lots of buffs. Innervates and Wild Growth are good too. You just need to throw your hand out gaining field presence and it becomes an easy win.

Last dude - Used Paladin. Bring the Voodoo Doctor, Bluegill Warrior, Novice Engineer, Wolfrider, and Humility. The opponent always uses their hero power at the beginning of every turn. Humility the Sea Giants when they come up. Otherwise, pretty much let them fill the field with 1/1s and 1/2s while you continue to bash face with charge minions. Abuse Engineers and Doctors to stay alive and continue to hit face. Maybe bring Equality + Consecration to deal with that super Fairie Dragon.

Good luck!

Tarazet

I cleared all of the content in about 2 hours, lag and all. I used Handlock for all of the bosses except the last one.. it was totally helpless against Heroic Maexxna. For that fight, I chose Warrior.. used a Cleave to kill the 1/2 spiders and fill the board, then bounced the same Earthen Farseer and Kor'kron Elite, plus Armor Up until I finally took her down. Pretty hard to do it with any kind of standard deck because of the constant removal, so you have to use nothing but minions with good battlecries..

By the way, I didn't try it. Is Faerie Dragon immune to the sap? They can't be targeted by hero powers but if it's just an auto-cast, I don't have high hopes.

Raxus

I cleared all of the content in about 2 hours, lag and all. I used Handlock for all of the bosses except the last one.. it was totally helpless against Heroic Maexxna. For that fight, I chose Warrior.. used a Cleave to kill the 1/2 spiders and fill the board, then bounced the same Earthen Farseer and Kor'kron Elite, plus Armor Up until I finally took her down. Pretty hard to do it with any kind of standard deck because of the constant removal, so you have to use nothing but minions with good battlecries..

By the way, I didn't try it. Is Faerie Dragon immune to the sap? They can't be targeted by hero powers but if it's just an auto-cast, I don't have high hopes.

Not true. Hunter is remarkably good against the deck. Explosive trap and unleash the hounds and you have cleared the board of all threats. Flood the board faster than she can summon minions back to your hand and you will have her dead in no time. Snake Trap helps a ton as well.

Boba2007

And this is what happens when Faerlina uses her power on a Gurubashi...

7qh4Tnu.png

I just keep fighting her over and over with this deck, it's so much fun.

Edit: A few minutes later on a new match, this happens...

ynSYnw1.png

Fun times.

rac

Banned
Pretty cool that you can beat the heroic challenge with an all basic deck, although I'm sure mage is the best to deal with maexxna.

nvm: argent commander and owl aren't basic

Only had issues with Faerlina. Modified my zoo deck a bit to include shadowflame and hellfire and that did the trick. Did Maex with Freeze Mage with Novice Engineer, Mind Control Tech, and more spells (Cone of Cold, more traps).

Watching Twitch today before I got the chance to give this a shot myself took away from trying to figure anything out myself.

biaxident

Would be cool if they added some reward for completing all 3 heroic bosses using the same deck with no changes. I used 3 different ones, and most people have had to tweak their decks for maexx, would be nice to have additional challenges that reward you. Was disappointed there's no reward for beating the first wing on heroic.

So I finished the first wing pretty quickly, only lost once. I'm loving the neubrian egg in my agro decks, it trades very well with mass clear spell cards.

zoukka

Would be cool if they added some reward for completing all 3 heroic bosses using the same deck with no changes. I used 3 different ones, and most people have had to tweak their decks for maexx, would be nice to have additional challenges that reward you. Was disappointed there's no reward for beating the first wing on heroic.

Shouldn't there be a card back reward after heroic?

Here's a hunter list my friend made for Maexxna.

N6jIydS.png

Leeroy and Pyromancer work well together. Play Leeroy and then Pyromancer and then a spell to clear out the Whelps.

Once you control the board enough that is a good win con. I got the win by a narrow margin:

biaxident

Shouldn't there be a card back reward after heroic?

I believe there is for completing all of Naxx heroic.

No idea how I can beat heroic Maexxna without freeze mage. I don't have Alexstraza. Even a board full of 1/1s wrecks you fast.

I went with priest, used elven archers early to turn those 1/2's into 2 1/1s to fill up board. Had voodoo doctor, earthen ring, and even priestess of elune for heals (plus hero power). Had chargers in the deck then for steady damage, even used some mind blasts lol. I kept Shadow word death in case the giant got dropped, and a mass dispel for that 4/6 faerie dragon guy. Holy fire paid dividends and finished it off with some bigger charge creatures. First try with that deck. (lost 3 with mage, no straza)

Violet_0

Banned
alright, so heroic mode:

Grand Widow - beat her after three tries with zoo
Anub - second try with freeze mage (my Alex was summoned prematurely so I played Atonidas and threw 6+ fireballs at his face)
Maexxna - first try with face hunter

Shady859

saw this thread earlier while bored and browsing. Figured what the hell i'll give this a shot never played a card game before. It's 4 hours later now LOL fun game, thanks GAF um I think. :)

Cipherr

saw this thread earlier while bored and browsing. Figured what the hell i'll give this a shot never played a card game before. It's 4 hours later now LOL fun game, thanks GAF um I think. :)

Same thing happened to me. I got accepted into the beta and still never played it. I redeemed the key but just didn't care enough about a card game to try it. Finally tried it a week or so ago and have been playing it non stop.

johnsmith

remember me
Finally got her with this deck I put together. Was finally able to stabilize at 3 hp, and after she was topdecking it got pretty easy.

DR5TXYi.png

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GL HF

Really disappointed with the difficulty of "Heroic". I can't believe I ate through the whole wing in like 2 hours time.

I'm left feeling a little empty. I really feel like they just fork over the cards from each wing way too easily. IMHO it should be much hard than "just beat these easy encounters once and get all the loots".

PV-EZ Mode. I was really excited, now I just want the wings to shit out so we can just get on with playing the regular game with full access to the games new cards.

zoukka

Really disappointed with the difficulty of "Heroic". I can't believe I ate through the whole wing in like 2 hours time.

I'm left feeling a little empty. I really feel like they just fork over the cards from each wing way too easily. IMHO it should be much hard than "just beat these easy encounters once and get all the loots".

PV-EZ Mode. I was really excited, now I just want the wings to shit out so we can just get on with playing the regular game with full access to the games new cards.

Yeah just think of it as a fun way to unlock the cards, it's not really any meaty content to replay. There's no way to make an actual challenging AI in card games as demonstrated by the hilariously overpowered hero abilities of the bosses (they still suck).

It's also a great wat to teach noobs how to build decks to overcome certain challenges.

keuja

Only Maexxna Heroic was kind of hard.
Beat her with a priest with some silence and heal minions plus argent commander for burst damage to clear the board and after i stabilized, to attack face.

But apparently attaching gold versions of the new Nax cards to the heroic wins was a bad idea because they were just far too difficult...

Yoshichan

But apparently attaching gold versions of the new Nax cards to the heroic wins was a bad idea because they were just far too difficult...
Yeah, because spending 8000+ dust to craft all the gold Naxx-cards is far less difficult :D Good thinking, Blizz!

zoukka

Yeah, because spending 8000+ dust to craft all the gold Naxx-cards is far less difficult :D Good thinking, Blizz!

It's like you guys forget this is a f2p game and Blizz needs to somehow make money off of it to develop it!

My first payment to Blizz is probably gonna be a bunch of packs when the first expansion hits.

Zemm

I beat anub heroic first time with a budget mage deck yet died to him one time on normal with a 'normal' shaman deck. Weird.

ShinNL

Has anyone seen Faerlina use her hero power when you play Grommash? I'm pretty sure she didn't use it on me when she had 1 mana left over and I still had a Black Knight in my hand (and lol, Black Knight vs that 2/8 taunt can summon some really juicy stuff!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom