• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultrabum

uHFf2ka.jpg

Is this real life? I don't feel like I drafted a strong arena deck at all. (Not pictured is a Stormwind Champion and a Alexstrasza).

Keep in mind i've only even seen Alexstraza show up twice for me. Once in an opening hand discard situation, and another that did admittedly win me a game against a Mage.

Still. I rarely do Arena's because I always feel like I'm total shit at drafting.

What are u talking about. You got 2 truesilvers, and equality consecrate. Your deck is combo city.

Edit:

Meanwhile I am playing druid with no AoL, AoW, keepers, no epics, and no legendaries. WTF

Alrus

uHFf2ka.jpg

Is this real life? I don't feel like I drafted a strong arena deck at all. (Not pictured is a Stormwind Champion and a Alexstrasza).

Keep in mind i've only even seen Alexstraza show up twice for me. Once in an opening hand discard situation, and another that did admittedly win me a game against a Mage.

Still. I rarely do Arena's because I always feel like I'm total shit at drafting.

That deck is fine as hell, you got Equality, 2 Consecrate, 2 Truesilver, 2 Blessing of kings, 2 Hammer and some great minions. It's the not perfect draft but I'd love to have that kind of deck when I play Paladin (of all the time I play a paladin, I never got a single consecration, BoK, or Truesilver)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Facing nothing but zoo decks. Such bullshit.

ViviOggi

uHFf2ka.jpg

Lol, that deck is ridiculous. The only bad cards are Frostwolf Grunt and Ironfur Grizzly, with Light's Justice and Gurubashi on the "meh" side. The rest are high quality minions and two copies of basically all the great class cards, including the disgustingly good Equality I somehow never get. One or two more 2cc drops wouldn't hurt but you can't have everything ;)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Running an experimental Zoo deck with:

1 x Power Overwhelming
1 x Haunted Creeper
2 x Nerubian Egg
1 x Void Terror
1 x Hellfire
1 x Dark Iron Dwarf

I haven't been overwhelmed by Nerubian Egg yet but it's an interesting avenue of play.

Alrus

Handlock used to be decent until all the deathrattles :/

I don't know if any deck truly is great against zoo now.

Crusher shaman should be fine. So many high HP taunts, the zoo would run out of steam trying to take all them out. Most of them don't run any kind of removal.

Guess we will have to wait for more cards to unlock first. Guess you could try out putting Weblords in but they do die to Soul Fire.

Most Zoo players don't like having soulfire in their opening hand, it fucks you up if you draw a Doomguard or another Soulfire. So if you get the weblord out early, Zoo is not going to be able to do much about it.

Tacitus_

Guess we will have to wait for more cards to unlock first. Guess you could try out putting Weblords in but they do die to Soul Fire.

That's 2 cards of the deck that most zoo players will mulligan away from their opening hand. If you can get one on board at turn ~2, zoo is kinda fucked.

Kenaras

Meanwhile I am playing druid with no AoL, AoW, keepers, no epics, and no legendaries. WTF

Is that supposed to be unusual? I'd say the vast majority of my drafts—regardless of class—have no class epics, and none of the best class rares. I just count myself lucky if I get the good commons; my last three Druid drafts in a row had zero Druids of the Claw, and one of them had no Swipes either.

frequency

Most Zoo players don't like having soulfire in their opening hand, it fucks you up if you draw a Doomguard or another Soulfire. So if you get the weblord out early, Zoo is not going to be able to do much about it.
That's 2 cards of the deck that most zoo players will mulligan away from their opening hand. If you can get one on board at turn ~2, zoo is kinda fucked.

I thought you never mulligan Soulfire (unless you get 2).

I remember someone saying that in one of the tournaments.

There's almost always something worth Soulfiring and it is such a big play to clear out a big minion without smashing your board into it. Big tempo advantage with a good Soulfiring.

Ultrabum

Is that supposed to be unusual? I'd say the vast majority of my drafts—regardless of class—have no class epics, and none of the best class rares. I just count myself lucky if I get the good commons; my last three Druid drafts in a row had zero Druids of the Claw, and one of them had no Swipes either.

It seems unusual when everyone I play has 2-3 epics. Edit: I also didnt' have any druids of the claw lol

I must just be really unlucky then because I seem to have something Soul Fired on turn three every time.

CoolOff

So, Maexxna as a Shaman in Arena? Options are Gruul and Mukla.

Wanna do it simply because it's a new card. Think it could work well with Healing Totems too.

Tacitus_

I thought you never mulligan Soulfire (unless you get 2).

I remember someone saying that in one of the tournaments.

There's almost always something worth Soulfiring and it is such a big play to clear out a big minion without smashing your board into it. Big tempo advantage with a good Soulfiring.

Well, obviously I'm not a tournament grade player but that's the wisdom I've gone by. The discard seems to hurt you more than it helps.

frequency

Well, obviously I'm not a tournament grade player but that's the wisdom I've gone by. The discard seems to hurt you more than it helps.

Neither am I. But when I think about it:

I would much rather discard a card than trade my board. I can get 2 cards per turn thanks to Life Tap. Most of the Zoo deck is disposable. Any creature in your deck can be replaced by another creature in your deck. The only arguable one is Doomguard but even then it's sometimes worth it to maintain your board.

The worst state you can be in as Zoo is having an empty board. I would gladly discard anything in my hand to clear their big creature if it means I don't have to smash my entire board into it.

zoukka

Some motherfucker just Mukla'ed and Divine Favoured me in arena... drew to 10.

Followed by Cult Master refilling to 10...

Followed by Blessing of Wisdom behind a taunt...

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Depends on how fast I want to be. I'll mull Soulfire against slower decks because I know I want to flood the board before they hit their stabilizing turns, and Soul Fire runs contrary to that since it doesn't advance the boardstate, 4 damage isn't significant against Giants/Druids, and it requires another Life Tap to make up for the negative card advantage.

It's particularly awkward when you draw 2 Soulfires or 1 Soulfire + 1 Doomguard. I don't want to have two of those kinds of cards in my hands at once, I want to draw into them.

Tacitus_

But the zoo pours its hand pretty fast. Two 1 mana minions and soulfire seem like a sure keep.
Not at the start. And I just mulligan horribly so I tend to fish for every 1 or 2 drop that I can >_>
Once I had to lifetap on turn 2 as zoo. That sucked ass.

Neither am I. But when I think about it:

I would much rather discard a card than trade my board. I can get 2 cards per turn thanks to Life Tap. Most of the Zoo deck is disposable. Any creature in your deck can be replaced by another creature in your deck. The only arguable one is Doomguard but even then it's sometimes worth it to maintain your board.

The worst state you can be in as Zoo is having an empty board. I would gladly discard anything in my hand to clear their big creature if it means I don't have to smash my entire board into it.

OTOH you can drop a buffing minion on board and trade one of your minions into it. Maybe it's a style preference or maybe there's actual reasons to doing it one way, I dunno.

Crusher shaman should be fine. So many high HP taunts, the zoo would run out of steam trying to take all them out. Most of them don't run any kind of removal.

Was about to post that. The Crusher Shaman pretty much ruins Zoo. I think I've only lost one Zoo matchup with that deck.

johnsmith

remember me
I always keep soulfire vs warlocks when playing zoo. Soulfiring early lets me establish tempo and begin trading on my terms, which is key to winning the mirror match. I have no qualms against using it vs 1 drops.

GeoGonzo

I always keep soulfire vs warlocks when playing zoo. Soulfiring early lets me establish tempo and begin trading on my terms, which is key to winning the mirror match. I've got. I have no qualms against using it vs 1 drops.
Couldn't agree more: You don't need card advantage in a mirror zoo match, you only need tempo: first to soulfire often wins.

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
I hope the other wings are somehow better because $7 for about 40 minutes of gameplay is too rich for me.

Where do you get $7? It's $15 for the whole thing if you do that GameStop deal. That's $3 a wing. $3 for maybe a two hour diversion and three new cards plus a legendary. That doesn't seem like too bad of a deal to me. Isn't that what you'd pay for a pack of magic cards?

I wonder more if it's worth the production cost for Blizz? Is spending 4+ months on a game mode that takes maybe two hours worth it? Maybe if people buy in financially it is and it keeps them playing the game. But just in terms of resources spent, I'd rather see a new play mode like co-op or something or alt heroes or new game boards you can play in versus.

frequency

Where do you get $7? It's $15 for the whole thing if you do that GameStop deal. That's $3 a wing. $3 for maybe a two hour diversion and three new cards plus a legendary. That doesn't seem like too bad of a deal to me. Isn't that what you'd pay for a pack of magic cards?

I wonder more if it's worth the production cost for Blizz? Is spending 4+ months on a game mode that takes maybe two hours worth it? Maybe if people buy in financially it is and it keeps them playing the game. But just in terms of resources spent, I'd rather see a new play mode like co-op or something or alt heroes or new game boards you can play in versus.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en...™-wing-entry-details-and-heroic-mode-7-8-2014
the next four wings can be purchased for 700 gold per wing or $6.99 USD per wing.

Or $20 total. USD.

I am not American by the way. GameStop deal does not apply to me.

The base price, without discounts or bundle deals, is $7 USD per wing.

I should clarify though that I won't be paying anything. I have more than enough gold saved up. But I was just speaking theoretically if I had to pay for it and also for future content, if this is what I can expect from it, is too rich for me. I just let myself get too hopeful about it and so was disappointed.

Speaking of zoo, what's a good counter for them? Other control decks? They're supposed to accel against aggro, right?

Priests that take over their creatures seems to be a good counter so far. I'm playing vs some trash tier opponents though. I haven't lost yet, but I've only played like 6 games or so far vs zoo with it.

Tacitus_

Priests that take over their creatures seems to be a good counter so far. I'm playing vs some trash tier opponents though. I haven't lost yet, but I've only played like 6 games or so far vs zoo with it.

Priests with pyro coin PW:S nonsense annoy me to no end as zoo. They're beatable, but so goddamn annoying.

Raxus

Speaking of zoo, what's a good counter for them? Other control decks? They're supposed to accel against aggro, right?

Most decks have some counter to zoo in some manner. Warriors have whirlwind and other 2 mana minions to survive to late game. Priests have several ways to clear the board/get a big taunt out fast. Ramp Druid can get to late game taunts before the game gets out of control. Hunter has explosive trap. Mage is pretty self explanatory. The best new card to slow down zoo however?

Nerub%27ar_Weblord.png

Look how many cards have battlecry. This card slows down the decks tempo when played correctly.

Xanathus

It feels like only tempo Rogue and maybe Druid can use Weblord effectively because they are the only classes that don't have a reliance on battlecries.

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en...™-wing-entry-details-and-heroic-mode-7-8-2014

Or $20 total. USD.

I am not American by the way. GameStop deal does not apply to me.

The base price, without discounts or bundle deals, is $7 USD per wing.

I should clarify though that I won't be paying anything. I have more than enough gold saved up. But I was just speaking theoretically if I had to pay for it and also for future content, if this is what I can expect from it, is too rich for me. I just let myself get too hopeful about it and so was disappointed.

That's too bad you can't get the GameStop deal, but I figure you're mainly just paying for the cards. I consider the PVE stuff just bonus fluff to disguise that fact. They're pretty good cards and better than I would get from paying an equivalent amount for packs at this point so I think it's not too bad of a deal. I totally understand your point though.

If we buy all the wings, do we only have this month to play the wings? Or can we purchase it and come back to it later down the road to get the cards/card back?

Once you have them, you own them. It just takes five weeks for them to unlock.

Oh so... We can come back and purchase these wings even after the even is over? So I can spend this next month collecting gold and then next month purchase the event? Sorry, just confusing to me how they're doing this.

Oh so... We can come back and purchase these wings even after the even is over? So I can spend this next month collecting gold and then next month purchase the event? Sorry, just confusing to me how they're doing this.

Yes, but you should buy it soon if you're going to use real money. The first wing is free but it won't be forever.

Xanathus

Yes you can buy them (presumably) years later. However the first wing is only free for the first month.

RPGCrazied

Also, I thought I was playing a Blizzard employee. His avatar was animated, never seen that before. Most of his cards was gold(the animation ones).

I guess he spent lots of $$$ on the shop? Is that how you get your avatar animated, having all gold cards?

Ashodin

Also, I thought I was playing a Blizzard employee. His avatar was animated, never seen that before. Most of his cards was gold(the animation ones).

I guess he spent lots of $$$ on the shop? Is that how you get your avatar animated, having all gold cards?

Nope, totally time-gated. You gotta win 500 matches with that class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom