• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanathus

So does miracle rogue have like a 5% win rate against the legendary control warrior? That shit is literally impossible. I think I am 0 for 10 or something.

Errr it's exactly the opposite, miracle rogue is highly favored to win against control warrior. Control warrior basically has to rely on out-armoring all of the rogue's damage.

Errr it's exactly the opposite, miracle rogue is highly favored to win against control warrior. Control warrior basically has to rely on out-armoring all of the rogue's damage.

I don't really play either decks. In fact, I've mainly seen other players use those decks. I've seen others use it enough that I feel like I could play the deck in most match ups. Anyway, I've seen credible people claim warrior blows out miracle rogue and I've seen people claim miracle blows out control warrior.

I have a feeling it is a closer match up since people tend to exaggerate. But one thing I know for sure is that miracle has a somewhat set amount of damage they can generate and if damage is prevented they may not be capable of beating the control warrior after a certain point.

zoukka

Nah the matchup is actually pretty fair. If Warrior gets his slams and blocks in time to drop Drakes and whatever dudes the Miracle plays, while keeping a good amount of armor it's almost impossible for Miracle to get the reach they need.

Xanathus

Nah the matchup is actually pretty fair. If Warrior gets his slams and blocks in time to drop Drakes and whatever dudes the Miracle plays, while keeping a good amount of armor it's almost impossible for Miracle to get the reach they need.

That's what I mean by warrior's win condition, he has to nullify as much damage as possible until the rogue runs out of cards and damage. That's very hard to do since the rogue has the card draw advantage unless you can almost perfectly counter all the damage and/or somehow wipe out rogue's auctioneers before they draw up.

Another way for miracle to lose is if they don't get an auctioneer within 7-8 turns but miracle usually loses to anything in that situation.

zoukka

That's what I mean by warrior's win condition, he has to nullify as much damage as possible until the rogue runs out of cards and damage. That's very hard to do since the rogue has the card draw advantage unless you can almost perfectly counter all the damage and/or somehow wipe out rogue's auctioneers before they draw up.

Yep but it doesn't exactly require godlike hands for warrior to do this. Miracle doesn't play any evasive or sticky minions so it's very easy for warrior to clear the board. Just time the blocks so that you keep the armor for one turn after that and Miracle can be in a world of hurt.

johnsmith

remember me
Does anybody have Trump's rogue deck that he was playing earlier? I threw together this variation of tempo that's similar to what I saw him playing, and it's been doing pretty well, though only around rank 11-9 since I haven't bothered ranking up this season. There's too many things I want to add, but not enough room, of course. Mainly more card draw and more activations for the eggs.

Pvbu4yH.png

CoolOff

Does anybody have Trump's rogue deck that he was playing earlier? I threw together this variation of tempo that's similar to what I saw him playing, and it's been doing pretty well, though only around rank 11-9 since I haven't bothered ranking up this season. There's too many things I want to add, but not enough room, of course. Mainly more card draw and more activations for the eggs.

That doesn't look like nearly enough egg-activation? Maybe they're used more as protection against board clears?

The RNG nature of this game is so frustrating at times. Do fine against certain classes, but then you run into Zoo or Miracle which are coin flips for every matchup at worst.

You just have shitty personality :)

No way, Zoolocks are the scum of Hearthstone. If every player took their entire allotted time on each turn, spammed Threaten, and used as much BM as possible against every Zoolock, I'd feel no pity for them.

Before anyone freaks out on me, no, I don't do the above... although I will over-kill them when I have lethal from time-to-time, which I guess does fall into the BM category.

I feel bad if my opponent gets fucked by RNG just as it feels bad if I do.

I don't feel bad in either case cause it is something out of your control so you just accept it and move on. If I make a mistake that causes me to lose, then I feel bad. But I won't let myself get up hung up RNG.

Also, if you choose to put RNG cards in your deck, can't really complain when things go south even with good odds.

zoukka

Well there's a difference beween "yeah this could've backfired" and "1 out of 10000000 chance that completely fucks your chances of victory". Usually involves Bomberino in arena btw :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Tips for anyone who lives in EURO-countries and own an iPad:

Buy your Hearthstone content (be it Naxx, decks or whatnot) from your iPad. It's a bit cheaper on iPad (instead of 45 euro for 40 packs, I'll pay 365 SEK which is 39 euro).

SteveWD40

No way, Zoolocks are the scum of Hearthstone. If every player took their entire allotted time on each turn, spammed Threaten, and used as much BM as possible against every Zoolock, I'd feel no pity for them.

Yeah, this can't be just anecdotal as I have had the same exact thing, it was murloc locks back in the day. There is just something about the deck that attracts trolls, maybe it's the appeal of, when it works, the complete steam-roll / lack of skill they find trolly.

Well there's a difference beween "yeah this could've backfired" and "1 out of 10000000 chance that completely fucks your chances of victory". Usually involves Bomberino in arena btw :D

My favorite moment EVER was when playing vs a miracle rogue. She does the "Well Played" (I'm at 21 Health - She has 3 creatures already on board) -> Leeroy -> Two whelps appearing on my side of the board -> my knife juggler pinging the leeroy twice and killing it. Queue awkward moment followed by my victory.

The odds of that happening were so small... the pre-emptive GG is what killed it for me. Sometimes you love the RNG sometimes you hate it... but it does add something to the game.

Zafir

Yeah, this can't be just anecdotal as I have had the same exact thing, it was murloc locks back in the day. There is just something about the deck that attracts trolls, maybe it's the appeal of, when it works, the complete steam-roll / lack of skill they find trolly.
It really isn't. You want to know why I play zoo, and why I imagine others play it? They don't have the cards to play much else. It's pretty much the best deck you can make on a low budget.

I want to play Druid or Shaman personally, but I'm still missing so many (class) cards that I don't think I could viably pull it off, especially since I'm still reasonably new to the game anyway.

It really isn't. You want to know why I play zoo, and why I imagine others play it? They don't have the cards to play much else. It's pretty much the best deck you can make on a low budget.

I want to play Druid or Shaman personally, but I'm still missing so many (class) cards that I don't think I could viably pull it off, especially since I'm still reasonably new to the game anyway.

Unfortunately - now with the Spider Wing Naxx cards - Literally every single deck I played against last night was zoolock. I played ~ 12 matches and every single one was against a zoo deck. I decided to run the anti-battlecry card and I was still having issues (control shaman). The egg is just too good for that kind of deck.

1. It only costs 2 and essentially renders a board wipe meaningless
2. It can be used to slam into your early game creatures w/ abusive seargent or any of the other buffing cards. Those cards are going to be used anyways except now you get a free 4/4 on turn 3
3. Give it any sort of body w/ taunt and suddenly the card is like a 3 for 1 trade in terms of card value.

Zafir

Unfortunately - now with the Spider Wing Naxx cards - Literally every single deck I played against last night was zoolock. I played ~ 12 matches and every single one was against a zoo deck. I decided to run the anti-battlecry card and I was still having issues (control shaman). The egg is just too good for that kind of deck.

1. It only costs 2 and essentially renders a board wipe meaningless
2. It can be used to slam into your early game creatures w/ abusive seargent or any of the other buffing cards. Those cards are going to be used anyways except now you get a free 4/4 on turn 3
3. Give it any sort of body w/ taunt and suddenly the card is like a 3 for 1 trade in terms of card value.

Oh I don't disagree, I was just explaining part of the reason I think it's so popular. ^^ Some people will play it because aspects of it are op, but others, like myself are doing it just because it's good on a low budget.

I suck at this game lol.Tried solo adventure and got past first guy but can't get past the 2nd. I pretty much have all default cards...is that the problem or am I just terrible lol

ViviOggi

My favorite moment EVER was when playing vs a miracle rogue. She does the "Well Played" (I'm at 21 Health - She has 3 creatures already on board) -> Leeroy -> Two whelps appearing on my side of the board -> my knife juggler pinging the leeroy twice and killing it. Queue awkward moment followed by my victory.

The odds of that happening were so small... the pre-emptive GG is what killed it for me. Sometimes you love the RNG sometimes you hate it... but it does add something to the game.
I've honestly seen Jugglers snipe Leeroy more often than not, do not make this move if it can be avoided.

frequency

I suck at this game lol.Tried solo adventure and got past first guy but can't get past the 2nd. I pretty much have all default cards...is that the problem or am I just terrible lol

I'm in the same boat. Faerlina wrecks me with her rain of fire ;(

Try playing a bunch of lower mana cost cards and just throw them on the board. Keep your hand size small so her Rain of Fire doesn't do much.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I don't really play either decks. In fact, I've mainly seen other players use those decks. I've seen others use it enough that I feel like I could play the deck in most match ups. Anyway, I've seen credible people claim warrior blows out miracle rogue and I've seen people claim miracle blows out control warrior.

I have a feeling it is a closer match up since people tend to exaggerate. But one thing I know for sure is that miracle has a somewhat set amount of damage they can generate and if damage is prevented they may not be capable of beating the control warrior after a certain point.
It depends on the build of miracle rogue. Not all miracles are the same. A lot of miracle rogues cut as much damage as possible for creatures such as no cold bloods and no sinister strikes and instead use mid-range creatures. In such a machup, unless the rogue gets an early auctioneer the warrior can simple outlive all of the rogue's damage.

But in more damage focused miracle builds, the warrior is DoA.

For what it's worth, my wins/losses against miracle as warrior yesterday were 3-1. Guess which of those 4 miracle rogues played assassin's blade and cold blood?

Everytime I run doom hammer it either does nothing or brings my hero too low. What's the logic behind this card? When do you use it?

it's basically for going to the face. it also lets you wipe up trash minions so you don't have to waste swings on your commanders or fire elementals.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just bought all of Naxx

No returning back now

Entropia

No One Remembers
Try playing a bunch of lower mana cost cards and just throw them on the board. Keep your hand size small so her Rain of Fire doesn't do much.

Tried doing this, but still couldn't get much going. Even with a bunch of 1-3 cards, if I had 2 or more cards in my hand she'd Rain of Fire and it'd be a wipe. ;(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Everytime I run doom hammer it either does nothing or brings my hero too low. What's the logic behind this card? When do you use it?

Almost never double tap a minion with it. Use it to snipe small minions and hit your opponent's face. It does 16 damage for 7 Mana. That's pretty damn good.

Water

Tried doing this, but still couldn't get much going. Even with a bunch of 1-3 cards, if I had 2 or more cards in my hand she'd Rain of Fire and it'd be a wipe. ;(

Play minions that are not just cheap but have high health like Shieldbearer and Voidwalker. They'll survive a weak Rain of Fire or two, until your hand is empty and Rain of Fire is out of action. You can also play X/1 chargers like Bluegill Raider and Wolfrider and use them to kill Faerlina's minions early game (on the same turn you play them so RoF can hit them), and start using them to do damage after your hand is empty.

frequency

Hmm...
Try lower to medium cost cards with creatures that have greater than 1 health. Health is more important than attack power in that fight.

What class are you playing? Maybe try Shaman so you can make 2 health totems to be possible targets for her Rain of Fire. Getting a healing totem up could help with that too.

Your goal is still to keep your hand small or even empty. Once you survive long enough to empty your hand and keep some kind of board presence, you should be good.

For some fun alpha stuff left in for Naxx, go to practice mode. On the deck selection screen press astrerisk (*) key on your numpad... You'll see this.

It shows the mockup road map for the various bosses. It shows the bosses hero powers (not the rewards even with the chests) and clicking on them takes you to the boss. You can't access the bosses from wings that aren't out yet. Kind of neat :)

Ultrabum

Well I don't have a ton of cards, but by random chance I have 2 doom hammers, I'll try running one for more than a few games I guess.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
For some fun alpha stuff left in for Naxx, go to practice mode. On the deck selection screen press astrerisk (*) key on your numpad... You'll see this.

It shows the mockup road map for the various bosses. It shows the bosses hero powers (not the rewards even with the chests) and clicking on them takes you to the boss. You can't access the bosses from wings that aren't out yet. Kind of neat :)

Looks like the actual layout of the Naxx raid from WoW. I guess they were toying with the idea of laying the Adventure out like that before they went with the current UI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom