• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Water

Sounds good thanks!

That is what I thought, but I wanted to make sure.

It also depends slightly on the size of your card collection, since packs lose value as you get more cards (you are increasingly likely to get duplicate cards) while the possible dust reward from Arena does not lose value. When you are opening mostly packs with duplicates, 1 rare + 4 common pack is simply worth 40 dust. At that point the chance for a 20-95 dust reward from Arena is very attractive, and can be worth more than a pack.

It also depends slightly on the size of your card collection, since packs lose value as you get more cards (you are increasingly likely to get duplicate cards) while the possible dust reward from Arena does not lose value. When you are opening mostly packs with duplicates, 1 rare + 4 common pack is simply worth 40 dust. At that point the chance for a 20-95 dust reward from Arena is very attractive, and can be worth more than a pack.

I didn't think about that. My brother was trying to get me into the game, so when I started he purchased the 99.99 set of packs for me. So I do have some variety/

Slashlen

Is there a best time to be playing arena? I thought I had a good deck last night, but ran into a series of unusually strong opponents.

Seriously fuck the arena sometimes. I got the most amazing Shaman draft but got schooled on my first three games. 0 wins. For FUCKS SAKE THIS GAME

Strider

Seriously fuck the arena sometimes. I got the most amazing Shaman draft but got schooled on my first three games. 0 wins. For FUCKS SAKE THIS GAME

Whenever I get what I think is an amazing deck it's pretty much 3 wins tops. When I get decks that I think suck that's when I get 5-6. makes no sense.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Maybe you guys are focusing too much on single cards and are not paying attention to minion:spell ratio, mana curves, and overall card value.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Maybe you guys are focusing too much on single cards and are not paying attention to minion:spell ratio, mana curves, and overall card value.

"I got 4 flamestrikes, that means I should get 12 wins, right? "

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"I just drafted three 8+ Legendaries, there's no way I can lose!"

scy

Give me 3 Rares and 27 commons that at least curve nicely and it'll probably go 5-7 wins. All the "I get zero epics and legs, gg 0 wins" just seem like trying to blame the wrong parts of the game for losses.

zulux21

to be fair sometimes it's just bad luck.
I went 0-3 earlier today in the arena... I had 8 or so cards I considered really good... took the first two games to the point where I had less than 10 cards left in my deck and between the two games only saw 1 of those 8 cards.
the third game I just got destroyed lol, the guy just kept playing great card after great card @_@

biaxident

You can't just judge arena from a few bad runs. I've seen streamers with 70% win rate in arena go 0-3. Sometimes it happens, but over time you see the real trend. If you can draft a nice curve, you're pretty solid. You may get unlucky and go 0-3 once, but do 10 more runs and see what your win count is, it won't be 0. I'm saving all my gold for naxx though, so can't do any arena or buy packs even, trying to hold out from spending real money. Up to 1650g.

johnsmith

remember me
Been having really shit luck with arena these past few days too, yet I can't stop playing. Drafted a great priest deck, got Ragnaros. 1-3.

Kettch

I've been playing token shaman on ladder the last few days, and it's a really counter-intuitive match-up against hunter. If I try to keep my minion total low, they just get trapped and bow/hero power kills me before I can do much of anything. On the other hand, if I just flood the board it ends up being an easy win. Just got turn 4 coin/buzzard/unleashed for 4 and then buzzard/unleashed for 4 several turns later as well and it was a fairly comfortable win for me even without bloodlust.

zoukka

What do you think happens when you copy a minion that has an effect "on attack, draw player x a card"?

In all other CCG's a wording that tells you to do something always points to the person who is using the card unless stated otherwise and why many games separate "controller" from "owner".

Kettch

It's only going to get worse after zombie chow and dark cultist come out. Nothing but priests then. :/ It's the worst match-up for my shaman deck too.

ViviOggi

Nothing better than making zookeepers go rage afk
hearthstone_screenshog6u11.png

Happy birthday, zoukka!

Dreavus

You can't just judge arena from a few bad runs. I've seen streamers with 70% win rate in arena go 0-3. Sometimes it happens, but over time you see the real trend. If you can draft a nice curve, you're pretty solid. You may get unlucky and go 0-3 once, but do 10 more runs and see what your win count is, it won't be 0. I'm saving all my gold for naxx though, so can't do any arena or buy packs even, trying to hold out from spending real money. Up to 1650g.

You know, that was my plan too, but I can't seem to have much fun with constructed. It's way more fun to blast dailies in arena, but of course there is that pesky entry fee...

Zemm

This Naxx content is shit, I'd rather just get given the cards from the start then choose whether to play the bosses or not.

Cracked open a Molten Giant. Only missing a second one of those and a pair of Mountain Giants before I can make a Handlock deck. Would still be missing Alexstraza, which while very good, is not absolutely critical to the deck.

zoukka

Cracked open a Molten Giant. Only missing a second one of those and a pair of Mountain Giants before I can make a Handlock deck. Would still be missing Alexstraza, which while very good, is not absolutely critical to the deck.

Nobody plays Alex or Jaraxxus anymore. Dead cards in the current meta.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So apparently, water elementals are really good in arena. Drafted 4 of them and I'm currently 8/2 right now. Compared to the regular 2/3, 3/3 and 4/3 that I usually get to, I'm happy with whatever the result will be from this mage session.

So apparently, water elementals are really good in arena. Drafted 4 of them and I'm currently 8/2 right now. Compared to the regular 2/3, 3/3 and 4/3 that I usually get to, I'm happy with whatever the result will be from this mage session.

One of the best 4-drop minions in the game, and common to boot.

Like a yeti but more annoying.

zoukka

Water Elemental is one of the best minions in arena.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Holy shit 9/2 :O My nerves can't handle this shit... (my previous record from launch days was 7/3)

Yoshichan

Mage time. Just finished my last area 9-3 with mage :) You can do better.
But I am absolutely horrible at arena. HORRIBLE.

Yoshichan

I choked SO many fucking times that game. Accidentally frost bolted the wrong target. Put the Frostwolf Commander BEFORE putting two minions on the board.

BUT I DID IT :_:

10/2, I'm so afraid... I need a break.

edit 2: actually that's exactly what I'm gonna do. Gonna pause right here and go out for a while.

YOSHICASUAL REPORTING IN!

zoukka

Birthday haul!

Doomhammer
Blood Knight
Ancient of Lore
Golden Scarlet Crusader
Golden Ravenholdt Assassin
Golden Stranglethorn Tiger
Golden Ancient Watcher
Golden Preparation (bring on the nerf Blizz!)
Malygos
Nat Pagle
Golden Malygos!

Strider

Birthday haul!

Doomhammer
Blood Knight
Ancient of Lore
Golden Scarlet Crusader
Golden Ancient Watcher
Malygos
Nat Pagle
Golden Malygos!

Nice!all dem goldens O_O

Happy birthday!

Yoshichan

Birthday haul!

Doomhammer
Blood Knight
Ancient of Lore
Golden Scarlet Crusader
Golden Ancient Watcher
Malygos
Nat Pagle
Golden Malygos!
FU! How many packs?

Quick question, how big is the Hearthstone iPad app installed? My weekly meeting with friends turned into a Hearthstone "party" as they suddenly decided to play it and I thought it would be very much easier to just install it on my Jailbroken iPhone 5 instead of dragging my old laptop around.

Xanathus

Quick question, how big is the Hearthstone iPad app installed? My weekly meeting with friends turned into a Hearthstone "party" as they suddenly decided to play it and I thought it would be very much easier to just install it on my Jailbroken iPhone 5 instead of dragging my old laptop around.
I don't think you can even play it on a phone because the UI needs more screen space.

I don't think you can even play it on a phone because the UI needs more screen space.

Oh I was concerned about that too at first but after looking at a few YouTube videos it seemed perfectly playable to me. Whoever rewrote the two files to make it run on a iPhone did a good job, it scales to the screen with letterbox bars though, while small, the UI was still perfectly readable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqVo3TBEpP0

Wunder

Has anyone been getting the disconnect bug more often recently? Had like two matches yesterday where my opponent had that floating/disconnect bug and I sat there for 5 minutes hoping something would happen... Both times it happened when I was about to win the next turn too :[

ViviOggi

Has anyone been getting the disconnect bug more often recently? Had like two matches yesterday where my opponent had that floating/disconnect bug and I sat there for 5 minutes hoping something would happen... Both times it happened when I was about to win the next turn too :[
Got it once yesterday vs a Handlock, with the floating card. The weird thing was that after a minute or two he hovered over the board for a moment but nothing more happened. I eventually restarted HS and of course it was registered as a loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom