• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViviOggi

Meh, eats your silence effect then, that's fine too. You see my deck on the last page? "When it happens" isn't really much of a problem with that thing. Not the best deck in the world, mind, probably not evem great. But one thing it has is consistency.

(I'd post the current version but I'm not home)

Just looked over it, it's certainly unusual. How far has it gotten you on the ladder?

The Adder

Banned
Just looked over it, it's certainly unusual. How far has it gotten you on the ladder?

Started playing again for the first time since... March, I think, Friday and I'm rank 16.

Thieves who know how to play shut it down amd conservative Paladins are hard for it to beat. (Also took a few Ls to Ragnos killing just the right creature)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
It's my first card game.

RE: Murk-eye... really? I thought I got him in a pack lol.

Just watch some streams and look at some good decks. Try to see why certain cards are played with certain decks/classes. If you don't have deck building experience it's ok to copy some net decks, including basic Trump ones.

Water

Hm. Zoo plays a flame imp turn 1. My deck is token mage and the hand is coin, wyrm, missiles, juggler, apprentice, (something bigger like a drake). What do you think is the right play? Wyrm + pass, ...?

Cipherr

Arstechnica sort of took a shit on the First wing of the Naxx expansion. I have to agree with them on this part though:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/...amas-is-an-uninspiring-hearthstone-expansion/

I understand that Blizzard intends for these Heroic battles to be tough challenges for top players, and the developers have succeeded in making opponents that aren't pushovers. Still, I came away from these matches feeling like I was playing against a cheater rather than a skilled opponent. Instead of creating computer opponents with strong decks and unimpeachable play styles, it's as if the designers simply turned up the difficulty by suspending some of the rules and balance guidelines for the opposing side. I'd have also preferred the introduction of new classes that were well-balanced enough to be used by human players—as it stands, the bosses feel like the "look-but-don't-play" bosses of the original Street Fighter II, only cranked up to unfair levels of power.

The sense of unfairness reaches its apex with the Heroic version of Maexxna, a final boss that sports the ability to return two minions to your hand for free every single turn. This ability is so ridiculously overpowered that it managed to stop every standard deck in my arsenal and a few that I threw together specifically to try to counter it. I was able to eventually win by resorting to a gimmicky, specially designed counter-deck that works specifically in this match (and would fail against practically any other opponent). Instead of the usual turn-by-turn mix of strategy, tactics, and probability, these Naxxramas battles turn the game into an annoying puzzle, where the goal is to figure out how to counter one very specific power.

Really underwhelmed by the direction they took for the Heroic PvE stuff. I was hoping for bosses with maybe a few unique cards and strong put together decks that felt a little more down to earth. Instead they were huge unfair rule breaking gimmicks that are so disconnected from the actual core play that I just killed them all once and wont ever do them again.

zoukka

Well it's literally impossible to create an AI opponent you would like to replay in a TCG. These "puzzle" bosses are the best way.

Though I would prefer the class challenges to also be very tricky and hard.

Violet_0

Banned
the annoying part is that the heroic bosses start with 45something health. In Duels of the Planeswalkers for example the final bosses don't have more health than you, just better cards

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I just made a priest turn 5 fatigue, he had two priestesses, 5 cards on board and i kept circle of healing, it was the most beautiful thing ever

nOe23oP.png

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Watching 20 cards go by in 2 turns

Jesus it was great

Slashlen

Well it's literally impossible to create an AI opponent you would like to replay in a TCG. These "puzzle" bosses are the best way.

Though I would prefer the class challenges to also be very tricky and hard.

I'd like to see some gimmicky decks that we can use. Not OP like the AI, just weird and not allowed by the normal rules. Like 30x Webspinners.

I'd like to see some gimmicky decks that we can use. Not OP like the AI, just weird and not allowed by the normal rules. Like 30x Webspinners.

Been saying this all along, I'd kill to have a "minimal rules" mode allowing more than two copies of cards, adjust starting life/armor, etc. Just for casual play or whatever.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The sense of unfairness reaches its apex with the Heroic version of Maexxna, a final boss that sports the ability to return two minions to your hand for free every single turn. This ability is so ridiculously overpowered that it managed to stop every standard deck in my arsenal and a few that I threw together specifically to try to counter it. I was able to eventually win by resorting to a gimmicky, specially designed counter-deck that works specifically in this match (and would fail against practically any other opponent).

That is clearly how Blizzard designed it to be done. The game is very clear that heroic bosses will take multiple tries and that you'll need to design custom decks just to beat those bosses.

Being able to beat the hardest AI opponents in the game using just any plain ole' deck is stupid. It's like being mad that the single player campaign in Starcraft doesn't work just like the multiplayer in Starcraft. By having cheater bosses than the player actually has to think about creating interesting non-traditional decks.

If you want traditional rules Hearthstone, human opponents will give you a much better challenge than any AI ever could. Making the single-player adventure operate by standard rules just makes the single player completely redundant.

Jedi2016

That is clearly how Blizzard designed it to be done. The game is very clear that heroic bosses will take multiple tries and that you'll need to design custom decks just to beat those bosses.
Yeah, I thought it was pretty obvious that the way to beat Maexxna in Heroic is to stack a deck with nothing but Charge and Battlecry.

Haven't tried it yet myself, though.. hehe.

Cipherr

They acknowledge that. I think we have all seen that notice in game by now.

Doesn't change the fact that it makes the content fairly lame. Feels like a waste of time, and to be honest I wouldn't even bother clearing the Heroics from this point on if it weren't for my completionist desires. The method they chose rips any chance of replay value out of the heroics.

Minsc

Gold Member
They acknowledge that. I think we have all seen that notice in game by now.

Doesn't change the fact that it makes the content fairly lame. Feels like a waste of time, and to be honest I wouldn't even bother clearing the Heroics from this point on if it weren't for my completionist desires. The method they chose rips any chance of replay value out of the heroics.

They should have just made the PVE a F2P version of Shandalar, possibly even starting everyone from a blank card library and having a separate state from the main game. Running around Shandalar and building up a library of cards from winning battles and the uniquely themed dungeons in that game were infinitely more interesting than what Blizzard did here.

That game is much more replayable too (or at least you can get a good 100+ hours from it), while this is like 20 minutes of fun, maybe. Also the AI from 1990s Shandalar is significantly better than what is in this game too.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I beat all the bosses in naxx with ladder decks in one shot..no cards changed. They were far from puzzles, but shit like handlock clearly won't work against maex.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I beat all the bosses in naxx with ladder decks in one shot..no cards changed. They were far from puzzles, but shit like handlock clearly won't work against maex.
Yes. You've already told us.

Cipherr

They should have just made the PVE a F2P version of Shandalar, possibly even starting everyone from a blank card library and having a separate state from the main game. Running around Shandalar and building up a library of cards from winning battles and the uniquely themed dungeons in that game were infinitely more interesting than what Blizzard did here.

That game is much more replayable too (or at least you can get a good 100+ hours from it), while this is like 20 minutes of fun, maybe. Also the AI from 1990s Shandalar is significantly better than what is in this game too.

That sounds incredible.

scy

This is why I'm still a little confused as to why the first "week" wasn't unlocking all the classes to get a deck to use in Naxx. No bringing your own deck but designing all of Naxx around the class decks given to you.

Also has the unlock process for classes a bit more fair as all the class cards are given at once and not this one month discrepency for some classes.

Zafir

Something like the Pokemon Trading Card Game on Gameboy would have been cool for single player(though dungeons instead of gyms). Man I loved that game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So where/what deck does Maexxna fit, exactly?
Are you of all people takin shots at what people post. -_-
At least I've got my share of GAFers who like me.

I am not in the mood for any further discussion regarding this. Feel free to PM me, be it you have something to tell me.

IceMarker

So where/what deck does Maexxna fit, exactly?

I've had a bit of luck with her in Ramp Druid. Mark of the Wild makes her a 4/10 with Taunt which throws her out of Shadow Word: Pain, Cabal, and Kodo range. She's a very scary mid-late game drop if you know they can't remove her.

Maexxna is a prime example of removal/silence bait. After silenced, then drop a buff on it to make it still a threat.

I think after the coming cards are added, the game is going to slow down some such that more later game cards are useful, thus making maexxna more relevant as removal bait.

I'm an expert

Lol nothing I can do. I get banned if I even look meanly at another poster. I am sorry and you are right and lollipops and candy. Good games!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

What would have been a waste of time is if the heroic bosses had been as lame as the practice bosses on expert, which is essentially what would have happened if the bosses didn't cheat.

AI can only go so far. Blizzard is not going to be able to program an AI for Hearthstone that's so smart that it could actually present any sort of challenge to people at the higher ranks. They never have been able to and they never will.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I actually liked the gimmick heroic bosses. Mostly because I agree that the AI controlling a fair deck/hero power would be trivially easy. But I think they missed a big opportunity to use nax content as a teaching tool for newer players.

They should have had pre-built situations where they start you mid game with particular cards in hand and a scripted AI sequence where you have to find how to win in ~3 turns before the AI kills you. You can better program the AI that way because there is a known 'right' answer and it would let new players see how their gut reaction moves fail and why the better play is what it is.

IceMarker

Speaking of which, why the hell didn't they add the option to re-do the tutorial under the new Solo Adventures menu? It seems like a perfect fit being a linear mission structure like Naxxramas. C'mon Blizzard.

johnsmith

remember me
So Anub'ar Ambusher is a pretty shit card in arena. I could see it being potentially useful in the right deck in constructed, but it's more likely than not to cause shenanigans in arena.

Thank god the guy I was playing had no idea how easy he could have screwed me over. I had a boulderfist, chillwind, and ambusher on the board, for some reason he focused on killing the yeti and ogre, leaving the ambusher alive, and letting me kill him next turn. Had he just killed the ambusher first he could have left me an empty board. Yay for dumb people.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
coining a 4/4 van cleef on turn 2 than making him 8/4 on turn 3 with cold blood is fun.

Kettch

I finally made Legend! Swapped in an Al'akir for my token shaman and it helped a lot, kinda forgot that it's worthwhile to have with the rockbiters even if my primary win condition is bloodlust.

I'm really liking the deck now, even managed to beat a priest somehow.

Yoshichan

Done with all of WC3 + FT, plus watched all (patch)-trailers for WoW, including the ending of Fall of the Lich King.

I am going to cry myself to sleep now... Good night, prince... You say you only see darkness before you, I say you see light ahead of you...

ShinNL

All the words people spew here... wow. It's like netdeck city here. 5+ Legendaries is a Control Warrior exclusive now and all other scenarios are bad decks? Wow...

How close-minded can you be :O?

Jedi2016

I have Rag in most of my decks, because, well.... it's Rag. He's not in all of them, though.

Then again, I'm super-casual, I only play Ranked to get the card backs or to play with a new deck.

The Adder

Banned
I have Rag in most of my decks, because, well.... it's Rag. He's not in all of them, though.

Then again, I'm super-casual, I only play Ranked to get the card backs or to play with a new deck.

Rag's good in my Priest deck, but Onyxia was just thrown in because I had a space left and wanted something big at the end of my curve. Ysara would be much better.

I need a Hogger for my Warlock deck.

Ronabo

I finally made Legend! Swapped in an Al'akir for my token shaman and it helped a lot, kinda forgot that it's worthwhile to have with the rockbiters even if my primary win condition is bloodlust.

I'm really liking the deck now, even managed to beat a priest somehow.

Share your deck please?

All the words people spew here... wow. It's like netdeck city here. 5+ Legendaries is a Control Warrior exclusive now and all other scenarios are bad decks? Wow...

How close-minded can you be :O?

the current crop of legendaries don't have much synergy with each other. having a bunch of them in a deck doesn't make a whole lot of sense outside of control decks. and in the current meta that's pretty much just warrior and ramp druid. most handlocks have cut jaraxxus and a lot of them aren't even playing alex.

and it's not that other decks loaded with legendaries are necessarily bad it's just that they're probably not optimal and there's something else you can play that fits better into your deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom