• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we all like to downplay Legendaries here but certain Legendaries do have really good value and could start turning a game around. You could play around them or come out of it alright if you have enough experience but it's hard to overcome the advantage sometimes, especially as a newer player.

oh totally. an important part of winning is recognizing what deck archetype you're playing against but that takes experience.

the thing I want to convey to new players is that legendaries aren't overpowered and you shouldn't feel like you need them to win.

Zafir

I know we all like to downplay Legendaries here but certain Legendaries do have really good value and could start turning a game around. You could play around them or come out of it alright if you have enough experience but it's hard to overcome the advantage sometimes, especially as a newer player.

As a newer player, I'd argue it's the rares and epics which are more of an issue than legendaries. You can make some decent decks without legendaries, but not without the good epics and rares.

scy

The truth is somewhere in between, really. For as much hyperbole there is on both sides (Legendaries don't do that much, Legendaries are instapay2winbsgg), the reality is that many of them are just really vital to strategies to work. They're super efficient at what they do and allow for decks to operate the way they do by providing really card-efficient threat.

The thing that gets overlooked the most, in my opinion, is pretty much that the decks are pretty much relying on those types of plays. Sure, you can go "I was winning but then he played a Tirion and I couldn't come back" but ... that's kind of how many Tirion-based Control strategies play it out. It kind of gets ignored that the game played out that way because of Tirion there. If it was, say, Sunwalker, the avenues of play leading up to that point would be far different. You'd most likely have played a completely different game if they had a different card as their out.

This is also why you can't just shoehorn in a bunch of Legendaries into a deck and think it'll be super awesome because, hey, Legendaries.

I am pretty sure this is the most salty/angry thread I read on gaf

Probably.

As a newer player, I'd argue it's the rares and epics which are more of an issue than legendaries. You can make some decent decks without legendaries, but not without the good epics and rares.

This is why, if you're serious about the game, getting 40 packs early on is a good investment. Think of it as buying the game. You'll get enough decent stuff to play one or two decks, plus you'll have enough dust to craft some cards that are good in every deck (Golem, Azure Drake, Argus, that sort of thing). Or, if you don't have the money, play Trump's F2P decks, they are solid. I also think if you're playing and not spending any money, Arena is better value. You also might want to dust EVERYTHING for classes you have no intention of playing.

frequency

oh totally. an important part of winning is recognizing what deck archetype you're playing against but that takes experience.

the thing I want to convey to new players is that legendaries aren't overpowered and you shouldn't feel like you need them to win.

The truth is somewhere in between, really. For as much hyperbole there is on both sides (Legendaries don't do that much, Legendaries are instapay2winbsgg), the reality is that many of them are just really vital to strategies to work. They're super efficient at what they do and allow for decks to operate the way they do by providing really card-efficient threat.

The thing that gets overlooked the most, in my opinion, is pretty much that the decks are pretty much relying on those types of plays. Sure, you can go "I was winning but then he played a Tirion and I couldn't come back" but ... that's kind of how many Tirion-based Control strategies play it out. It kind of gets ignored that the game played out that way because of Tirion there. If it was, say, Sunwalker, the avenues of play leading up to that point would be far different. You'd most likely have played a completely different game if they had a different card as their out.

This is also why you can't just shoehorn in a bunch of Legendaries into a deck and think it'll be super awesome because, hey, Legendaries.

Oh I agree.

I'm not a new player now, but back in beta I complained a lot about Legendary imbalance too. It takes a lot of experience to be able to deal with them consistently with a more limited card collection (I have luckily reached that point already).

You learn that they're not all that powerful (as to win simply by existing) over time when you get better at the game. Though not having certain ones does lock you out of quite a few net decks if you're into that kind of thing (rather than building your own decks).

But I understand the frustration and I usually want to let people vent about it. It's not like we're a particularly positive thread. It's an endless stream of people complaining about things in here.

Ultrabum

I'm currently play a lot of meracle, but I don't have Leroy. I'm using an arcane golem instead. When I got Van cleef, my win rate went up a few points, I expect the same to happen when I get Leroy and another prep.

Ledgendaries sometimes just streight up win games, double backstab coin van cleef on turn 2 happens like twice a week and usually wins the game.

But, you might not even draw it. Having good cards increases your win %, but isn't a guarenteed win.

It's a card game, everything is probability based.

It's a card game, some cards are better than others, they gotta make money somehow.

The frustrating part is that the matchmaking doesn't take into account the quality of cards, so you get new people making good plays that lose to superior cards and it's really disheartening. Combine that with a $2 entry to the fairest mode, and it's a recipie for salt.

Kettch

The problem with legendaries is that they don't help much if you're dead already. It's the hated zoo and similar fast decks that keep them in check.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
NEVER BELIEVE IN THE BOMBER

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
6 Mana Wyrms
5 Secrets

So far 4-0

What the fuck is going on

Yoshichan

edit: nevermind

Vodh

So what's up with the roofs? Deathwing? Naxxramas nicked them flying by?
m6Kxo1M.png

The Adder

Banned
I'm giving up on heroics forever. I even used the recommended decks out there.

No luck whatsoever. Just frustration :(

My priest deck walks all over the first one if you can pilot it.

Also, would anyone with a Zoo deck like to play me in a few? I'm thinking I can actually handle it, but I'd like to test it out and have only fought one in ranked (beat it)

Cipherr

They are very powerful. Many of them give you an opportunity to turn a game if used right. I used to hate the way druids could force me to use my removal earler in the game with buffed units, then plop down that ironbark 8/8 taunt when Im out of silences sans the 2/1 owl... Now I have a black knight that doesnt just remove the taunt but kills a strong fucking minion outright and puts 4 damage on the board for my side. Man its useful as HELL! Its nothing compared to the people with faceless, BGH, Deathwing, Alex and the like, but its my only playable legendary and I love its utility to pieces. I have so little removal...

Yoshichan

LAGGING SO MUCH EJ!

Trying to watch!

Yoshichan

uU5TlRH.jpg

GEEEEEEEEEEGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Yoshichan

BUT...

BUT...!

BUT GAF TOLD ME PALADINS WERE OVERPOWERED!

scy

In Arena? They're fairly good.

In Constructed? Probably one of the worst classes right now.

Edit: I'm now curious to see these "Paladin is da best" posts ;__;

scy

450 matches? Damn, is that around standard for legendary from rank 5?

It depends a lot on the meta. Like, with the current heavy Zoo meta you're almost always looking at a good portion of your games being 50-60% winrate which potentially drags the grind out. Even a 60% win rate for Rank 5 -> Legend can potentially be nearly ~150 games depending on how the W/L stack up.

And then you get really lucky and can win streak through a lot of super favorable match-ups and get it done in under 50.

Trump is running a rogue deck very similar to one I made before naxx came out lol

I mean, I made the deck in anticipation of naxx intending to replace a couple cards with nerubian egg and haunted creeper. Looks pretty good so far.

He even chose dark iron dwarf over abusive sergeant, same decision I made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom