• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been playing a little of this lately, but holy shit the explorer crashes every time I close the game are just ridiculous. I can't even get task manager to show up afterwards. :|

Ladder is like 90% hunters right now. Naxx has made it a little stronger against miracle, unfortunately.

Boy. Starting to feel like the meta prior to the UTH nerf with some Mage thrown in there. There needs to be more counters to secrets because the only class with an answer is Hunter, which influences more people to play Hunter. =/

Violet_0

Banned
Been playing too much hearthstone. Going to try to go all weekend without playing. Wish me luck!

stopped playing shortly after the second wing was released, it's getting tiresome. Maybe I come back when they release a proper expansion

from what I've read the current meta sounds awful too

imBask

Banned
Pfffft to me this is why ranked is fun. People try to win with the most effective things possible in an even playing field. Well I assume even past certain ranks.

I love making dumb decks, not playing the same exact deck as everyone

plus I just hate ranked in pretty much every game I play, I play for the fun of playing not for the e-penis rank attached to my name :) to each his own

stopped playing shortly after the second wing was released, it's getting tiresome. Maybe I come back when they release a proper expansion

from what I've read the current meta sounds awful too

well it's in flux and each wing adds more chaos. which I can understand why some people would hate that. I love it.

but yeah. we need something like a 100 card expansion that's weighted towards class cards.

I love making dumb decks, not playing the same exact deck as everyone

plus I just hate ranked in pretty much every game I play, I play for the fun of playing not for the e-penis rank attached to my name :) to each his own

I would leave it alone because you're right, to each his own, BUT because you said that I have to respond. The rank means nothing. It's fun to me because people are trying to play the game well and win. If I was playing a fighting game I'd want the person I was playing against to play their hardest, pick their shit (character, team) and not pick random characters and do stupid things. If I'm playing poker I want the table to play well, not go all in or make stupid calls every hand. If I'm playing a game of pick up basketball I want the other team to play well and not take stupid shots or be some random team like out of a kids sports movie. In this scenario, even if I wanted to make crazy decks or try something new, I'd still want to create it in a scenario where the opponent is trying their hardest to beat me. How else would I get proper feedback on what I'm making?

That to me is fun.

imBask

Banned
I would leave it alone because you're right, to each his own, BUT because you said that I have to respond. The rank means nothing. It's fun to me because people are trying to play the game well and win. If I was playing a fighting game I'd want the person I was playing against to play their hardest, pick their shit (character, team) and not pick random characters and do stupid things. If I'm playing poker I want the table to play well, not go all in or make stupid calls every hand. If I'm playing a game of pick up basketball I want the other team to play well and not take stupid shots or be some random team like out of a kids sports movie. In this scenario, even if I wanted to make crazy decks or try something new, I'd still want to create it in a scenario where the opponent is trying their hardest to beat me. How else would I get proper feedback on what I'm making?

That to me is fun.

haha I played thousands of hours of SSF4 and I haven't played ranked in years. I would only do lobbies, hoping to see a legit "unranked" mode someday

I get what you mean and I understand the mentality behind it but that's just not my thing

+ the hidden MMR in casual makes it kinda okay, you'll face some challenging decks most of the time

haha I played thousands of hours of SSF4 and I haven't played ranked in years. I would only do lobbies, hoping to see a legit "unranked" mode someday

I get what you mean and I understand the mentality behind it but that's just not my thing

+ the hidden MMR in casual makes it kinda okay, you'll face some challenging decks most of the time

I know its not your thing and I'm not trying to convince you. I was more commenting on the epenis insult you threw in there insinuating that you play for fun, but those of us who play ranked are not also playing for fun.

imBask

Banned
I know its not your thing and I'm not trying to convince you. I was more commenting on the epenis insult you threw in there insinuating that you play for fun, but those of us who play ranked are not also playing for fun.

oh! no sorry if you took it as an insult, it really wasn't directed toward you

I mean yeah some people are bananas about ranks (see anyone playing SC2), but I just hate having a ranking beside my name it drives me insane. I don't care and I don't want to care but it's always right there

I miss the first ranking system in the beta, the one where you could never go down, it would always show your highest ranking for the season (so basically a hidden MMR)...

FStop7

Banned
5 health left. 3 dmg minion on the board (Farseer.) I had my 3dmg weapon 1 durability left.

Farseer to face. Weapon to face. Leeroy, cold blood, shadowstep, Leeroy, shadowstep, Leeroy.

28 damage in one turn... My opponent had 27 health.

Got myself a golden Velen that I think I'm going to dust and turn into a Leeroy.

I've been playing a mid-range hunter but am interested in trying out this new hunter deck with Leeroy and all the secrets. Is this deck a noticeable improvement?

I'd rather craft a Rag but I'm still missing many components of the decks he fits into.

KingKiller

Neo Member
Played four rounds of ranked before leaving for work. All hunters, all using terrible deck designs trying to copy players of higher rank and subbing in really terrible cards. Granted I'm only rank 17.

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
So I've been playing a little of this lately, but holy shit the explorer crashes every time I close the game are just ridiculous. I can't even get task manager to show up afterwards. :|

I've had this happen too but only on my Surface. Win 7 desktop works fine. On the Surface I have to hard reboot after I quit Hearthstone. It's only seemed to happen since the last patch.

Why do so many Shaman deck builds recommend Al'Akir the Windlord

I always though it was one of the worst legendaries

I've always said it is a very strong legendary. It was around those fight nights that people started using it in their decks to prove its worth. At the time people were going gooey eyed over tirion, which is very vulnerable to removal/silence/morph, meanwhile alakir gets a chance at high value every time played.

Acinixys

I've always said it is a very strong legendary. It was around those fight nights that people started using it in their decks to prove its worth. At the time people were going gooey eyed over tirion, which is very vulnerable to removal/silence/morph, meanwhile alakir gets a chance at high value every time played.

If they have a silence and you didnt do huge damage with it it becomes a 3/5 for 8

Kinda risky

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You're supposed to do like a billion damage with it on the turn it comes down.

That's why it has Charge and Windury!

If you're desperate enough to play Al Akir onto an empty board into a potential Silence, you probably fucked up in a lot of other places and it's not his fault at all.

If they have a silence and you didnt do huge damage with it it becomes a 3/5 for 8

Kinda risky

You've already gotten 2 hits out of it. Silence isn't really an effective way to deal with it since you've still got the 3/5. It is much more vulnerable to hard removal than silence.

Compared to tirion, when both are silenced, alakir has already gotten 2 hits so you can't quite call it a 3/5 when it started out as a 6/5 even without buffing it. And since it has windfury the attack power buffs are basically doubled. You'll already get a high amount of value out of it, so silencing it is a bit like silencing an argent commander after it has already lost its divine shield. It loses a lot of things but the damage is already done.

The trade off of being strong against silence is being weak to hard removal. But still, the damage is already done due to charge so it isn't even that weak to it.

So the last couple cards in naxxramas.

I think the biggest impact on the meta will easily be the echoing ooze. That card is so good even when played with nothing on turn 2 the stats add up to 2/4. I can see things like echoing ooze + innervate + mark of the wild on turn 2 druid being a game changer. Two 3/5s with taunt on turn 2... currently you need 2 senjins, coin, and 2 innervates to do that... just to compare.

The other cards seem alright. I think avenge will show itself to be much more viable than people's first impressions. And kelthuzad will win games, if people can survive long enough to play him. Kind of a win-more card like ragnaros in my opinion. Or at least something that can be used to swing a match if things are about even.

10294277_710403255669112_6849970250114989441_n.jpg

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Why do so many Shaman deck builds recommend Al'Akir the Windlord

I always though it was one of the worst legendaries

He's good to combo with rockbiter, flametongue totem, or even reincarnate on the turn he is played. After that he's comparable to a sunwalker.

Haly

Been having a lot of nice 7-X games in Arena. Letting my packs build up so I can open all of them at once. Grinding these games isn't really putting a dent in my gold pool though.

Avenge: Might help aggro Paladin make a resurgence. I have a Deathrattle Paladin (Death Knight???) I'm playing around with and it could use Avenge. Only problem is that the thing I'm afraid of most as an Aggro Pally are not 1:1 trades, where this is good for taking back tempo, but AoE, and Avenge does nothing to alleviate that unless I play Haunting Spider or Harvest Golem.

Echoing Ooze: Yeah this shit is going to be cray. I wonder which decks can use it the best. The perma-buffing decks are Paladin, Druid and... Rogue? Rogue isn't reliable enough. Paladin will have to go aggro, which is what Avenge enables. So I think we'll see this play first as Mark of the Wild tech in Control Druid.

Kel'Thuzad: Gonna fit into some Control shells. Probably Druid, Paladin and Priest, since they're the ones who care most about maintaining board presence. Oh, and this Midrange/Control Hunter everyone's worried about.

Shade of Naxxramas: Not sure if this is going to do anything. It's good value, but it's little more than "good 3 drop that is vulnerable to silence". It doesn't actually do anything very well. On the other hand, when I'm making decks, there's a lot of times where I'm missing something in the 3 drop slot I replace with tech choices like Blood Knight or Earthen Ring Farseer and Shade would be a fine replacement for either of those.

imBask

Banned
Echoing Ooze: Yeah this shit is going to be cray. I wonder which decks can use it the best. The perma-buffing decks are Paladin, Druid and... Rogue? Rogue isn't reliable enough. Paladin will have to go aggro, which is what Avenge enables. So I think we'll see this play first as Mark of the Wild tech in Control Druid.

the fact that the ooze keeps the buff when it duplicates itself is gonna nerfed so hard so fast...

oh who am I kidding, it's going to be around for months until we're all sick of the game because of it

Haly

Well it's the defining characteristic. Otherwise it would just be a slightly ahead of curve 2 drop.

There would be no reason for it to exist if buffs didn't carry over!

imBask

Banned
then i'd prefer if it didn't exist :p there's no point in adding a card that will most likely shift the meta so hard it'll feel like the good old early beta Rogue

THIS IS OUR TOWN SCRUUUB

Ultrabum

I guess turn 2 coin echoing ooze cold blood will be an auto win vs classes that can't do 2 dmg with spells easy.

It's a specific set of cards to have to have on turn 2, but the ooze is good early even without a combo.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum

Pumped for this card for this reason, hopefully I can wizard myself up a black knight in the near future to fully utilize MotW and be able to play some ramp.

Kel'Thuzad: Gonna fit into some Control shells. Probably Druid, Paladin and Priest, since they're the ones who care most about maintaining board presence. Oh, and this Midrange/Control Hunter everyone's worried about.

Wouldn't rule out KT with the shaman gimmicks either. Resurrecting the deathrattle - resummon stuff would be brutal, and I'm curious if you get a doubled minion if you reincarnate with KT out, after all it did die.

imBask

Banned
I guess turn 2 coin echoing ooze cold blood will be an auto win vs classes that can't do 2 dmg with spells easy.

It's a specific set of cards to have to have on turn 2, but the ooze is good early even without a combo.

but it's in the code that you have a 100% chance to mulligan Ooze if you have the coin, just like the Scrubs back in the day

I don't think it will be used in aggro paladin because of avenge, but it could be used because of blessing of kings.

Haly

I don't think it will be used in aggro paladin because of avenge, but it could be used because of blessing of kings.

That's not what I meant. I meant Avenge will enable the strategy in general because Shockadin is in a really bad place at the moment, and if it does become A Deck, it'll want Ooze.

Time to crack open 10 packs, get hype.

Got my first Force of Nature and second Nourish (too bad I don't play Druid), a third Beastial Wrath (lol), and a second Leeroy.

I think I'll hold on to the Leeroy for now in case it gets a nerf in the future. It was slated for one anyway before Naxx came out, and it might still be problematic afterwards.

Haly

More like "Coupon for your Legendary of choice".

Seems like doomhammer is the shaman's favorite tool all of a sudden. I guess people really love that rockbiter combination to cheese your way to victory :D

lets see... it does 16 damage on its own. Then plus 6 for each rockbiter. Yeah I start with 7 hp lol, not being serious

FStop7

Banned
So the last couple cards in naxxramas.

I think the biggest impact on the meta will easily be the echoing ooze. That card is so good even when played with nothing on turn 2 the stats add up to 2/4. I can see things like echoing ooze + innervate + mark of the wild on turn 2 druid being a game changer. Two 3/5s with taunt on turn 2... currently you need 2 senjins, coin, and 2 innervates to do that... just to compare.

The other cards seem alright. I think avenge will show itself to be much more viable than people's first impressions. And kelthuzad will win games, if people can survive long enough to play him. Kind of a win-more card like ragnaros in my opinion. Or at least something that can be used to swing a match if things are about even.

Kel Thuzad is way too slow.

Seems like doomhammer is the shaman's favorite tool all of a sudden. I guess people really love that rockbiter combination to cheese your way to victory :D

lets see... it does 16 damage on its own. Then plus 6 for each rockbiter. Yeah I start with 7 hp lol, not being serious

the last time doomhammer got out of hand Harrison started showing up a lot. I've got him ready to go if shamans get annoying.

ViviOggi

It's a good card for sure but you can't assess it in a vacuum like that. First of all it needs to deal that damage over four turns, starting on 5 at the earliest - where they can't play a naked DH unless they already got a big advantage. Any deck has good ways to keep them from just unloading it in your face: either you're Aggro/Zoo so you should have put a sizable dent in their HP pool early on while also forcing them to remove minions with the hammer (which really hurts due to their lack of healing), or you're heavier control and either put up taunts or heal the damage away. Or you're Druid, don't give a fuck and just combo their ass on 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom