• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bleh, I wish acidic ooze wasn't so strong against weapons. It doesn't make sense that a 2 mana card should hard counter weapons so hard when there are no counters to spells except for the 2 mage secrets, which both cost more than 2 mana.

I think ooze needs to act like bloodsail corsair and then the only hard counter would be harrison jones, limit to 1 per deck and 5 cost.

Ooze with the text "reduce weapon durability by 1" would still be good. Most weapons have 2 charges.

JesseZao

Bleh, I wish acidic ooze wasn't so strong against weapons. It doesn't make sense that a 2 mana card should hard counter weapons so hard when there are no counters to spells except for the 2 mage secrets, which both cost more than 2 mana.

I think ooze needs to act like bloodsail corsair and then the only hard counter would be harrison jones, limit to 1 per deck and 5 cost.

Ooze with the text "reduce weapon durability by 1" would still be good. Most weapons have 2 charges.

I could see them maybe nerfing it to a 3/1, but I think the battlecry is fine. Otherwise we'd have doomhammers and sword of justices running rampant.

I could see them maybe nerfing it to a 3/1, but I think the battlecry is fine. Otherwise we'd have doomhammers and sword of justices running rampant.

3/1 wouldn't make it really any worse. 2/2 if anything. Maybe even a 2/1 would be appropriate.

You're not really explaining why a 2cc should counter a 5cc pretty much entirely. Even changing it to reduce durability by 2 is much fairer.

There are too many counters to weapons in the game already, whereas there are almost no counters to spells.

damn, i really wish i could play this game. installed it without problems when i had windows 7, but with W8, i just cant install it. already trying running as an admnistrator, deleting the programdata folders...

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Ooze doesn't really need a nerf, if anything just make it 2/2 but it's fine as is.

Classes that can pop weapons via minions/hero power don't have much of an issue getting them summoned vs them with the cheap bait weapons.

Many times Ooze is used a 3/2 early on without regard to future weapon casting.

If Ooze were in the game with other anti-weapon cards, it would be OP.

But as it stands, Oozes are the first and last lines of defense against weapons and are appropriately strong.

PsionBolt

Weapons allow you to attack as soon as they come down, so it's rare for Ooze to get full value anyway. And you have to be all paranoid and hold the Ooze 'til lategame in most of the matchups that it's actually good, making it a dead card in hand for a lot of turns. I think Ooze is fine.

Card Boy

Banned
Being doing pretty well so far.

z3kQ1.png

Sure a silence, polymorph, hex and assassinate fucks you up but its doing great so far.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No rogue runs Assassinate so you're okay.

Sap tho...

Weapons allow you to attack as soon as they come down, so it's rare for Ooze to get full value anyway. And you have to be all paranoid and hold the Ooze 'til lategame in most of the matchups that it's actually good, making it a dead card in hand for a lot of turns. I think Ooze is fine.

Paranoid? Pretty much every rogue runs deadly poison and every warrior runs war axe, or better cards than these two. Hunter pretty much always runs the trap bow. Paladins almost always have truesilver champion. The only class that doesn't consistently run weapons is a shaman.

I don't think people understand how much of a swing card it can be, even when it takes one durability off a weapon it is still a very strong card. Therefore, changing it to reduce durability by 1 still would have it be very strong.

inky

Actually, Hunters are starting to use Weapons and Secrets less and less in favor of a slower, cheaper variant with bigger creatures like Highmane (which has fucked me over a couple of times now) and Rogues use weapons as board clears often too, but yes, Oozes and Harrison are still good options to round up your deck.

scy

Paranoid? Pretty much every rogue runs deadly poison and every warrior runs war axe, or better cards than these two. Hunter pretty much always runs the trap bow. Paladins almost always have truesilver champion. The only class that doesn't consistently run weapons is a shaman.

I don't think people understand how much of a swing card it can be, even when it takes one durability off a weapon it is still a very strong card. Therefore, changing it to reduce durability by 1 still would have it be very strong.

He said you have to play paranoid with it. That is, hold it until you get value from it.

And, yes, Ooze is a strong card in a heavy Weapon meta. But that's not always been the case. I think it's a fine card. If we're going overboard on toning it down it'll quickly reach the point that he gets replaced with Bloodsail Corsair for the 1 Mana option instead.

True silver champion into blood sail corsair is pretty good formme

Hate the feeling when you are about tow in and the opponent plays storm wind champion or another powerful card .

He said you have to play paranoid with it. That is, hold it until you get value from it.

And, yes, Ooze is a strong card in a heavy Weapon meta. But that's not always been the case. I think it's a fine card. If we're going overboard on toning it down it'll quickly reach the point that he gets replaced with Bloodsail Corsair for the 1 Mana option instead.

Yeah I know what he meant. I don't think it is a risky card to hold onto when you're playing against warrior/rogue/hunter/paladin since you'll probably get big value out of holding on to it. Usually shaman run only 1 weapon, but still a pretty good move to hold onto in case of doomhammer.

PsionBolt

Yeah I know what he meant. I don't think it is a risky card to hold onto when you're playing against warrior/rogue/hunter/paladin since you'll probably get big value out of holding on to it. Usually shaman run only 1 weapon, but still a pretty good move to hold onto in case of doomhammer.

Moreso than the risk involved in holding it, I mean that any card you specifically feel like you have to hold onto is a card with significant downside already. If it's in your opening hand against a Shaman or Warrior, you probably hold it to eat Gorehowl or Doomhammer, and that means you're effectively playing with 1 less card for a large part of the game. Sometimes it's correct to drop it early, too, but deciding whether or not that's true in any given game is quite hard.

Tobor

I'd love to play this but Blizzards crazy ass hardcore security bullshit and my fat fingering means I'm locked out on my ipad. Fucking fuckity fuck.

So imagine this situation.

You are a mage and have 22 life. You have in play a kobold geomancer and a dalaran mage, and in your hand you have a fireball and an ethereal arcanist.

You are up against a shaman who has 15 life. He has three cards in hand and has both Nozdormu and Alexstrasza in play. You have seen him play one windfury, one rockbiter, and no flametongues.

You have enough damage on the field and in your hand to bring the shaman down to one life, or you could kill one of the dragons. What would you choose to do?

(For reference, I was the shaman, my opponent chose to drop me to one life. I had windfury and flametongue in hand so killed my opponent next turn.)

GeeDuhb

Grrrrrr....Just started my first game after moving over to the US iPad version, and I see they still didn't fix the bug where occasionally you cant use your hero power...this needs to be fixed cause it has caused me to lose multiple games...

JesseZao

splashtop lets you play with your PC - can play hearthstone

It works really well too. The only plus with a native app for me would be having my pc sleep.

I wonder if the phone app will have a vertical option. My S4 screen is big, but I like playing vertical with it (cards/actual play area are bigger). You can see your hand, hero power and four minions without scrolling. If you could move the end turn button it'd be perfect.

Moreso than the risk involved in holding it, I mean that any card you specifically feel like you have to hold onto is a card with significant downside already. If it's in your opening hand against a Shaman or Warrior, you probably hold it to eat Gorehowl or Doomhammer, and that means you're effectively playing with 1 less card for a large part of the game. Sometimes it's correct to drop it early, too, but deciding whether or not that's true in any given game is quite hard.

It isn't a dead card in your hand. It is a valuable tool which you can play your hand with, drawing out an early weapon to gain an early lead. Like, when I have black knight I know I can play a bit more aggressively and generally want to, to entice them to drop a taunt.

You pretty much know very early what kind of deck your opponent is running and what points they'll probably use a weapon. Saying a 2drop is a dead card cause you're holding out for a bigger payoff is like saying soulfire is a dead card until you have no other cards in your hand.

So, I told myself I'd make a to-the-face aggro deck next time I drafted Warlock. Well, today was that day. It didn't turn out great, as I had some picks I was forced to make (all the 4+ drops and Nat Pagle was actually my very first card drafted) but it has gone 6-0 so far, some how. As it turns out, 3x Dark Iron Dwarfs, a Power Overwhelming, an Argent Commander, and the Stranglethorn Tiger give me juuuust enough reach to be able to close out a match around turn 8-10.

Best game so far was a turn 5 win. Some how, I've faced no Mages and really no AoE at all yet besides a single Wild Pyromancer. No Fan of Knives, no Whirlwind, no Lightning Storm, and no Consecrate. I'll get wrecked as soon as those pop up... but until then, this is great.

Special C

So, I told myself I'd make a to-the-face aggro deck next time I drafted Warlock. Well, today was that day. It didn't turn out great, as I had some picks I was forced to make (all the 4+ drops and Nat Pagle was actually my very first card drafted) but it has gone 6-0 so far, some how. As it turns out, 3x Dark Iron Dwarfs, a Power Overwhelming, an Argent Commander, and the Stranglethorn Tiger give me juuuust enough reach to be able to close out a match around turn 8-10.

Best game so far was a turn 5 win. Some how, I've faced no Mages and really no AoE at all yet besides a single Wild Pyromancer. No Fan of Knives, no Whirlwind, no Lightning Storm, and no Consecrate. I'll get wrecked as soon as those pop up... but until then, this is great.

Played 6 arena games and faced no Mages?
That's a milestone in of itself.

NBtoaster

Well weapons are super good value and have probably already 1-for-1'd by the time Ooze is played, so its not a huge loss. They need a direct counter.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Damn this game. So much fun.

Kind of tempted to just disenchant everything except for the one or two classes I like until I have a solid deck, but that also seems like it could backfire badly.

Kansoku

FUCK THIS GAME. Against a priest, managed to put the board on my control, he has no cards. I put my 2 biggest minions. What does the priest draws? TWO MIND CONTROLS ONE AFTER ANOTHER. (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻

JesseZao

Damn this game. So much fun.

Kind of tempted to just disenchant everything except for the one or two classes I like until I have a solid deck, but that also seems like it could backfire badly.

It's tempting, but just wait it out. You lose a ton of time in the long run if you DE like that.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
It's tempting, but just wait it out. You lose a ton of time in the long run if you DE like that.

Thing is I get a pack, what, every few days? I am really enjoying the game so I bought a few packs to support it, but pulled complete crap.

Will probably dust golds that I have normals of, I suppose.

This run ended up 7-3, which isn't bad considering the shitty deck I was trying to build and the playstyle I stuck with... as a reward: 150 gold, some dust, and a pack which contained my 2nd Golden Legendary:

My first Onyxia too. Nice!

Well weapons are super good value and have probably already 1-for-1'd by the time Ooze is played, so its not a huge loss. They need a direct counter.

Spells often 2-1 with no direct counter.

I'm actually okay with cards that counter weapons, just ooze is too strong for its text/stats and impacts the game too much.

I'm certainly not saying nothing should affect weapons, as there is still bloodsail corsair and harrison jones out there as well as ooze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom