• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

I was playing some aggro warrior yesterday and I think I had a 100% win rate vs hunters. Sadly there was too much Zoo and Druid around for me to make any progress on ladder.

I need to do my Legend grind (9 days!) but I keep putting it off. Meh, maybe I'll just skip this season. :| Dunno.

Frenden

Banned
I think the staleness of the current meta is only rectifiable with time and new cards. The combinations are finite enough that the "best" strategy for each of the last few metas is homogenized and quickly adopted.

Tldr; we don't have a lot of viable cards, so the decks we all make end up being very similar and the meta is boring because of it.

TP17

Rogue: Betrayal (2cc), deals target's attack to adjacent minion. Put your weakest minion in the center.

Mage: Cone of Cold (4cc), deals 1 damage and freezes the target and adjacent. Put minions that cannot be targeted in the center (e.g., Faerie Dragon) and keep your big threats away from each other on 4+ minion boards so they can't both be frozen.

Hunter: Explosive Shot (5cc), deals 5 damage to target and 2 damage to adjacent. Put lowest Health minion in the center so most of the damage is wasted. Also can do the non-targetable thing as well.

Thanks!

Everyone says Mage is the best arena class and yet I can't get past 3 wins with it. I spend the entire game countering their minion plays with spells and eventually don't have any board control to win.

They should make a minion that when on the board, it disables all battlecries. I think that would be neat.

While that would be an interesting card, I feel like it would be 'too good,' and everyone would use it. That is actually one thing I'm afraid of with the Double Death Rattle card from Nax.

inky

Everyone says Mage is the best arena class and yet I can't get past 3 wins with it. I spend the entire game countering their minion plays with spells and eventually don't have any board control to win.

Mage is the most consistent because their quality cards are common so you can usually get a good deal of fireballs, elementals, flamestrikes, frostbolts, etc. On top of a very good hero ability. It is also the one you'll probably face more often, but I don't personally think is the best. Obviously you will get some bad drafts here and there, but over several drafts it is likely you will get better rssults than with most other classes.

Bizazedo

While that would be an interesting card, I feel like it would be 'too good,' and everyone would use it. That is actually one thing I'm afraid of with the Double Death Rattle card from Nax.

I'm more worried about Shade of Naxxramas. I've never tried, can you faceless manipulator a stealthed card?

I'm also more curious about the class specific cards that are coming. Figure 9, one for each class?

Zabant

It's dependant on the draw.

There is some real horse-shit from arena mage though. watching a drake go out then the next three turns getting frostbolted, ice lanced fireballed and pyroed because he sat there taking hits from my shitty 2-3-4 mana minions.

watch them plop loot hoarder and novice engineer (which you have to deal with) and use arcane intellect to go fishing for spells to just bomb you later on.

Everyone picks arena mage because their base cards are just so good, meaning you can do better than the average class because the random draft is just so much better for them.

Terra

Just won my first two ranked matches. But man...I am not good at this at all. I don't even know if I am managing my decks the right way...

Shai-Tan

Banned

make sure your mana curve is good and you have minions to play. if youre casting aoe or removal (poly, fireball, frostbolt etc) every turn and dont have mana for minions your deck is probably misconstructed. or youre over proritizing removal when the minions you could drop would trade favorably. sometimes youve got to ping or cast spells but youre going to run out if there is no board presence.

it's true in arena where games can go long and they can have more than 2 flamestrikes.

but they're probably the weakest class in constructed except for maybe priest. it's way too easy to play around everything.

I agree with this. I hate playing as a mage in constructed. People wipe the floor with me all the time.

Just won my first two ranked matches. But man...I am not good at this at all. I don't even know if I am managing my decks the right way...

Build a deck, just throw in cards you like and cards that sound useful, don't worry about it too much. Shoot for maybe 2/3 minions, 1/3 spells. Play with it a bunch of times, try to identify where your shortcomings are. Are you running out of cards? Dying too early? Dealing enough damage? Start swapping out cards you find that you aren't using with card that will address your pain points. Simple.

Make sure you play to your hero's strengths, so plenty of beasts for hunters, demons for Warlocks, etc.

suikoden352

Neo Member

i feel ya, duder. i have terrible luck in the arena. some days i will do regular plays and just have nothing to show for it ever. i've found that trying out the other classes in regular play and just messing around with them against classes that i have real trouble with ends up helping me understand things better and also figure out what i do and don't like about classes and also strategies to employ against them with certain cards. i'm right there with ya though. it's a tough grind to edge out.

Haines

Banned
Has anyone Thoughtstole a Jaraxxus? That would be hilarious.

You can use warlocks kill a demon card to kill jax. Was on the other end of that one.

Ive spent maybe 6 on arenas and 20 on packs since launch but I have played it a lot and going through a tough time IRL so its been worth it as far as entertaining me and keeping my mind occupied

Celegus

How much cash have you guys spent so far?

Nothing, been playing a couple matches a day for a couple months now. Pretty much just enough to keep my quests cleared everyday. Only have two legendaries for classes I don't play though (Priest & Paladin).

inky

I've bought 7 packs. Been playing since last year. I still don't have more than half the legendaries and epics.

I've been playing since november.

I spent 20 bucks about a month in (half on packs, half on arenas).

I have almost every common + rare, missing many class epics (disenchanted a lot)

In terms of legendary cards I now have (* = crafted):
Van cleef (+ 1 duplicate)
cairne
black knight*
leeroy*
thalnos*
hogger (+1 gold version that I DE'd)
illidan
the beast (disenchanted)
grommash (disenchanted, good card but it was an early pull and I wanted other cards)
sylvanas
ragnaros*
mukla*

Kosma

Banned
Been running with my hunter deck and made it to rank 11 now.

Facing mostly hunters.

Seems they all are doing the waiting game and trying to play smart and anti hunter and they dont know what to do when i just start dropping minions from the get go.

Ive put hogger in my deck too.

Kosma

Banned
Also this was glorious. Dude waited too long to play this and he died of card burn :)

ZVoYBgb.jpg

inky

Warlock
Hunter
Warlock
Warlock
Warlock
Hunter
Hunter
Warlock

From 11 to 10... I wonder if people get tired of playing these classes as much as I am tired of facing them?

Warlock is fun. Lots of viable decks, the constant risk of balancing HP in a meta full of aggro, fun cards like Jaraxxus, Eredar Lord of the Burning Legion. What's not to like?

I probably wasn't paying very close attention when reading, but I could have sworn I saw at least a couple of people saying you get a free pack when you get the iPad version. Is that true and I got cheaped out on some cards, or am I crazy and reading phantom posts?

CoolOff

I probably wasn't paying very close attention when reading, but I could have sworn I saw at least a couple of people saying you get a free pack when you get the iPad version. Is that true and I got cheaped out on some cards, or am I crazy and reading phantom posts?

When you play a game on the iPad-version.

Warlock
Hunter
Warlock
Warlock
Warlock
Hunter
Hunter
Warlock

From 11 to 10... I wonder if people get tired of playing these classes as much as I am tired of facing them?

Ranked ladder is pretty boring to play atm. You'll face maybe 5 different decks. zoo lock, handlock, control warrior, and hunter (cycle or lifecoach) so I guess about 6 decks total. I'm not even trying to get to legend this season. Just no incentive to punish myself by playing vs this meta. In casual I play against people with legendary card backs often anyway.

Uthred

Is there any reward for hitting Legend rank? Because as mentioned above, playing with or against the same four or five decks is tedious as fuck.

Minsc

Gold Member
Is there any reward for hitting Legend rank? Because as mentioned above, playing with or against the same four or five decks is tedious as fuck.

You get a special card back immediately that you can use and everyone you play will know you made it to legendary, even in casual mode (assuming you toggle it on).

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
You get a special card back immediately that you can use and everyone you play will know you made it to legendary, even in casual mode (assuming you toggle it on).

I saw that in arena once. Got my ass kicked.

Surprised he wanted to declare it (or maybe that was the mind-game point of it), but he had a better draw and played flawlessly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom