• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

XN0VRXUBJFSV1430317306524.jpg

Rapstah

Gaara ditched Reckful the BRM team brawl and Reckful has to play alone against Sjow and Neirea BibleThump.

I imagine that's more because the tournament was scheduled literally in the middle of the night for Europe. Your post was at four in the morning CEST. I don't know where Gaara lives.

CRS

is that mean?

ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ EVERYONE,GET IN HERE ༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º ༽

I just went something like 8-1 as Face Hunter to go from rank 17 to 14 in ~20 minutes. My only loss had my opponent down to 1 HP after they used an Antique Healbot and I fought through 2 Sludge Belchers. Never used Face Hunter before now. The power is real.

And another Grim Patron scrub down.

༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ EVERYONE, GET OUT OF HERE! ༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽

The hate for combo decks boggles the mind

The problem is combo decks tend to have one way of winning and that way of winning is 100% dependent on drawing the right cards at the right time.

If you do, you win. If you don't, you lose.

Playing against this isn't much fun, because there is pretty much nothing you can do except hope to get lucky. You just spend the whole game thinking "I hope he doesn't have xyz". It doesn't really take much skill either unless you are not smart enough to remember or write down that cards a, b and c in your hand equals a certain amount of damage... then you just stall or draw cards until you get that hand.

Granted this applies to Hearthstone as a whole, but combo decks just emphasise it more than most. Personally I think the problem is not so much with the decks, it is just the variety. When every second person is fishing for the same combo, it gets as boring as any other problem.

KuroNeeko

The problem is combo decks tend to have one way of winning and that way of winning is 100% dependent on drawing the right cards at the right time.

Playing against this isn't much fun, because there is pretty much nothing you can do except hope to get lucky. You just spend the whole game thinking "I hope he doesn't have xyz". It doesn't really take much skill either unless you are not smart enough to remember or write down that cards a, b and c in your hand equals a certain amount of damage... then you just stall or draw cards until you get that hand.

Granted this applies to Hearthstone as a whole, but combo decks just emphasise it more than most. Personally I think the problem is not so much with the decks, it is just the variety. When every second person is fishing for the same combo, it gets as boring as any other problem.

I don't think this is the case.

If you're just blindly playing and hoping you draw into the combo - that's one thing. The skill comes into knowing how to stall, identifying the threats in your opponent's deck and dealing with them in a way that let's you survive long enough to complete the combo.
You also have to actually build your deck with the right balance of search / cycle cards vs. survival.

The skill in playing against a combo deck is identifying the individual components that make up the combo and trying to either a) disrupt them or b) kill your opponent before they can pull it off. Granted, if you're playing as some classes, it's harder to prevent the combo from going off, in which case you are just kind of sitting around waiting to see if the combo goes off.

It's just another way of playing / winning.

golden nat pagle is insta DE right?

Depends on the type of player you are. I'd play with a golden Nat Pagle...

Then again, I'd probably trade him for a Sylvanas or Ysera.

Raxus

I haven't the faintest clue as to what trump is running, I just assumed you run zombie chow because of face hunter. It is actually decent in a number of match ups.

I am already have the best minions I can to counter face hunter but sadly no matter what I do I will always have a bad matchup against that sort of deck so I am not sacrificing my synergy for one deck.

Iryx

Been trying Dragon Paladin, I don't think my win rate has been so bad with any other deck I've played. I think it's just my own fault though, it's either built terribly or I can't play it well, or both. To me it seems that you just lose whenever you lose initiative, your Vigils and Volcanic Drakes just become useless, and I feel like I'm running so little early game that I most of the time I won't the one with board control.

Maximo

Holy fuck I think I just vomited in my mouth. Vsing a Hunter as a Demonlock. Turn 1 Stonetusk Boar, Turn 2 Arcane Shot..Arcane Shot, Turn 3 Animal Companion into Huffer, Turn 4 Blue Gill and Hero Power ECT. Now lucky for me I kept 2 Mistresses of Pain and a Dark Bomb to deal with his bullshit but wow most brain dead player I have ever played against. It was just embarrassing to watch him struggle against a ever increasing board.

Been trying Dragon Paladin, I don't think my win rate has been so bad with any other deck I've played. I think it's just my own fault though, it's either built terribly or I can't play it well, or both. To me it seems that you just lose whenever you lose initiative, your Vigils and Volcanic Drakes just become useless, and I feel like I'm running so little early game that I most of the time I won't the one with board control.

The key is to take Dragon Paladin...and take out the Dragons.

It is a fun deck to play, but you might as well play reincarnate Shaman or Malygos rogue. It'll work just about as well against a stream of face hunters.

Blizzard please.

Spuck-uk

Banned

A well made Patron Warrior deck has at least three different ways of landing a massive combo.

commander/Patron + commanding shout against a stacked board

Gromm + inner rage(s)/taskmaster

Commander + frothing + whirlwind/deaths bite

Violet_0

Banned
I'm currently trolling ranked with my August 2014 druid ramp deck
because that was the last time I played. But hey, I'm climbing the ladder

had 800 gold on my account to unlock the first part of Blackrock. Those things are hella expensive

Spuck-uk

Banned
Anyone have the list for the dragon priest Kibler was running on stream last night?

Because it looks a lot better in this meta than Dragadin

Brakara

Anyone have the list for the dragon priest Kibler was running on stream last night?

Because it looks a lot better in this meta than Dragadin

I'd like to know as well, though I don't think he shared it on screen.

This is what I made today, and although it's been doing some work (except ironically losing to paladins), it's definitely not 100% optimized (suggestions are welcome):

Anyone else wish Blizz would allow you to choose between classic and gvg packs in arena. Im still missing so many essential cards from classic.

Spuck-uk

Banned

This is what I made today, and although it's been doing some work (except ironically losing to paladins), it's definitely not 100% optimized (suggestions are welcome):

I'd swap the shadowboxer and a whelp for a geblin stalker and Ysera

I can't see Chromaggus ever doing much in that deck. Even if it lives, there isn't much you can duplicate and be incredibly useful.

I'd try Syl for the synergy with death, but if you want dragons, Ysera for some rng...or maybe Nefarius for fun.

Magnus

Dragon Rogue is some serious fun - I love Malygos in there. Glad I crafted him. Can't wait to tear into the adventure's new cards in earnest, since I've only dabbled with a couple over the last month - Resurrect (priest staple) and Emperor Balanced (everything staple), and they were both Week 1.

Hope life turns around for you dude!

Best wishes Magnus. Hope everything turns around for you in a good way

That's real nice of you guys - thank you!

Guys - your well wishes worked, and I top-decked an incredible afternoon yesterday. 10 months of job-searching and ad hoc contracts ended with a full-time offer. At long last. Thank you!

PUT YOUR FAITH IN THE LIGHT

Brakara

Shadowboxer is really good against aggro decks though. But whelps are kinda inconsistents, so maybe swap one out for a chow?

I can't see Chromaggus ever doing much in that deck. Even if it lives, there isn't much you can duplicate and be incredibly useful.

I'd try Syl for the synergy with death, but if you want dragons, Ysera for some rng...or maybe Nefarius for fun.

Yeah, Ysera is probably the better choice. Thanks.

Magnus

Shadowboxer is really good against aggro decks though. But whelps are kinda inconsistents, so maybe swap one out for a chow?

Yeah, Ysera is probably the better choice. Thanks.

Ysera single-handedly transformed my late-game for Priest. I'm kicking myself for not having crafted it months ago.

KuroNeeko

Hi!

I've been playing around with Dragon Priest for a little bit and thought I'd comment. I don't have access to Boom, Lightbomb, or Mind Games. Instead, I run a Rend, 1 Mind Control, and 2 Smites. I also generally play in the high teens rankwise.

I've had good success with Azure Drakes. They're high enough cost that your Hatchlings and Technicians can take advantage of them and they're generally good in priest anyway.

I'm still experimentimg with Hungry Dragon, but I've had very little success with the Sorcerers. Looking at your spells and the spells for Priest in general, I just don't feel like it's worth the space. I'd rather have a Shade or Shredder in there. They're just too slow. If you do decide to keep them, what about Light of the Naaru? It could synergize with your Northshire Clerics?

How are your Corrupters working out? Do you have enough presence in the early game to deal with the add from Hungry Dragon?

Oscar

I know.

Especially when they tend to be the harder decks to play well.

Grim Patron Warrior is the most fun thing to come out of this expansion.

Seriously.

I used to play exclusively Control Warrior, and just came back after a long break (didn't even touch GvG). Grim Patron Warrior is fun as fuck.

Fixed1979

I'm running two shadowboxers in my dragon Priest deck and have found them nearly invaluable when opening against the flood of Palading dragon decks. So much so that I will coin them out if I'm able. It's rare that it doesn't trade two for one with either ZC and SHR or SMB and SHR.

Also hunter's will happily use their removal to get them off the board.

My conundrum right now is determining the best removal spells, hopefully I'll have something solid by the end of the weekend.

Hi!

I'm still experimentimg with Hungry Dragon, but I've had very little success with the Sorcerers. Looking at your spells and the spells for Priest in general, I just don't feel like it's worth the space. I'd rather have a Shade or Shredder in there. They're just too slow. If you do decide to keep them, what about Light of the Naaru? It could synergize with your Northshire Clerics?

I'm running a double HD as well, they can be a little tricky to play, and are sometimes held in hand if you dont have a way to remove the 1 mana drop...still trying to make a determination on them...it's a minion that if you're ahead or tied can swing, but if you're already behind gg...

Anyone have the list Trump that rustled Trump's jimmies so much? I bet he overdid the dragons

I don't have the list but saw his stream. He had quite a few Dragons and ones that synergized with them such as Corrupter. Was running Hungry Dragons too and that card is garbage.

I agree that you cannot go full Dragon Pally. You still need quite a bit of typical Paladin with a hint of Dragon flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom