• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

And I was one of the people who said Rend would suck. It's definitely not trash tier Legendary. For a class like Paladin which has difficulty removing some of the bigger Legendaries like Ysera/Chromaggus, Rend fills in that hole.

It's too bad that Dragon themed decks aren't that good and the meta is super aggressive at times.

Tacitus_

Rend is way above Hemet. Rend actually gets played in some dragon Paladin decks to solid effect.

Right, scratch Rend off that list then. The others are still horrible in a "no way these will be played" kinda way. Hemingwary might see play if they introduce a Dr. Beast. Probably not, since the card is still bad, but there is that "what if..." hanging there.

Off the top of my head: Millhouse, Nat Pagle, Nozdormu, ETC (though this is a joke card so ymmv), Tinkmaster, Gelbin Mekkatorque. And those are just from the pro set.

Nesingwary is in the same tier as Rend, bad stats for the mana cost and not enough targets for the battlecry.

What? You're joking right? How dare you talk down about Rend still
laugh.gif

Right, scratch Rend off that list then. The others are still horrible in a "no way these will be played" kinda way. Hemingwary might see play if they introduce a Dr. Beast. Probably not, since the card is still bad, but there is that "what if..." hanging there.

Forgiven.

I'll let Rend know too so he doesn't destroy you. :)

Opiate

Yeah, that's true of most, though.

For instance, Cho could come back in to the meta if a Zoo deck emerges that is, say, 28/30 minions. Nodormu and Millhouse are good "never" picks, though. ETC is, as you said, sort of a joke card and doesn't really count, in my opinion.

Probably not Nat Pagle, either, but he was very good until he was nerfed, so I sort of give him a pass.

Dahbomb

Hemingwary might see play if they introduce a Dr. Beast. Probably not, since the card is still bad, but there is that "what if..." hanging there.
While what you are saying is true... if there's a Dr Beast equivalent then Hemingway would still not be enough. Dr Balanced is Dr Balanced because BGH isn't enough, it's not uncommon for the Boom Bots to kill both BGH and another creature on the board so Dr Balanced still manages to get some value.

So if there's a Dr Beast equivalent... it will get value EVEN if Hemingway gets played.

Here's an example of an OP Beast Legendary:

f7f7b47a.png

Would you put in Hemingway just to counter this card? What if it was 6 cost instead of 7?

manhack

Got Medivh. No regrets.

Can still get ranked wins for like, Jaina, while using the new dudes.

Used some of my Hearthstone prize money to buy Medivh. Grinding for golden mage and it is the best arena class so I figure it will be fun.

Got a few friend requests so far with people sad I didn't spam the emotes more

JesseZao

I got Magni. Might get Medivh eventually. Alleria's voice is so underwhelming, so I'm probably never getting her. My one complaint with Magni is how quiet he is. Hopefully they'll tweak that a bit.

I have plenty of gold and dust for the next two expansions at this point, so I think that's why these are $10. If I play a game enough, I'll drop cash on cosmetic stuff. Never did for wow, but lol turned me info a payer.

Opiate

I've had 3 mages in a row -- three -- start second and do first turn mana worm in to coin in to mirror image.

The odds of having both cards in your starting hand are very low. RNG rage.

Dahbomb

I've had 3 mages in a row -- three -- start second and do first turn mana worm in to coin in to mirror image.

The odds of having both cards in your starting hand are very low. RNG rage.
Is it though? They have two of each copies and they always keep them in hand.

If it's not Mana Wyrm then its Sorcerer's Apprentice into Mirror Image.

Opiate

Is it though? They have two of each copies and they always keep them in hand.

If it's not Mana Wyrm then its Sorcerer's Apprentice into Mirror Image.

Yes, highly statistically improbable.

50% chance to go second, ~1/5 chance to have each card if you hard mulligan for those and nothing else, for a total of a 1/50th chance to have both.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yes, highly statistically improbable.

50% chance to go second, ~1/5 chance to have each card if you hard mulligan for those and nothing else, for a total of a 1/50th chance to have both.

The odds of getting 1 card you have two of by turn 1 when going second is 9/15 though isn't it? Almost 2/3rds of the time you can get the card... I don't think going for a second card you have two of would drop it to 1/25th (ignoring the going 2nd 2x in a row).

Opiate

The odds of getting 1 card you have two of by turn 1 when going second is 9/15 though isn't it? Better than 50%... I don't think going for a second card you have two of would drop it to 1/25th (ignoring the going 2nd 2x in a row).

You're right, I wasn't accounting for mulligan. That would mean

9/15 x 8/15 x 1/2 = ~16% chance. And this time, I do mean you have to hard mulligan exclusively for those cards.

Edit: slightly lower actually, because you can get duplicates. Probably 13-14% ish.

JesseZao

What exactly is the Tavern? Just a fuck around mode with unique cards? Sounds fun. Are there any rewards?

Initially you get a classic pack for your first win each week. After that it's just a wacky mode you can play instead of ranked or casual for quests.

johnsmith

remember me
I've decided that the top of the ladder isn't who's better, but who's luckier. The bullshit I've seen since hitting rank 5.

Seriously no reason to ever get legend more than once unless you're a masochist.

Just grinding for wins up here as penance for all the time I spent preying on rank 18s.

johnsmith

remember me
It'd be nice to play a game with more than 3 classes.

If you aren't playing warlock, hunter, or warrior, you're playing at such a disadvantage, it's ridiculous.

Low on cash so I just bought (and completed) the first wing of BRM with gold.

Not sure if worth compared to the like 6+ arenas I could get out of that much.

Though I think I'm able to make Legend viable decks again with those handful of cards. Mainly Patron, Thaurissian, and quick shot. I don't even think any other cards in the set are as good as those.

S'like 2+ weeks worth of gold gone though that I have to grind up again.

CoolOff

Kripp insta-bought all three heroes. Cue chat spamming:

🔔 $30 SHAME 🔔 $30 SHAME 🔔 $30 SHAME 🔔 $30 SHAME 🔔 $30 SHAME 🔔

Kripp insta-bought all three heroes. Cue chat spamming:

🔔 $30 SHAME 🔔 $30 SHAME 🔔 $30 SHAME 🔔 $30 SHAME 🔔 $30 SHAME 🔔

He only plays the game 7 days a week, 9 hours a day. How dare he spend money on something he has gotten so much out of, including support via twitch. Not that I expected twitch chat to be right
mayatomr_laugh.gif

So apparently the new patch lets you see what cards the hunter is mousing over as he uses tracking. Of course you still don't get to see what he discarded.

Not going to bother buying Magni until they actually introduce some polish to the voice interactions and stuff. Leaving Cairne's line in is just inexcusably lazy, literally one of the first things everyone thought of. Let alone putting in new interactions (like Alleria vs Sylvanas). Just sloppy work in a mostly polished game and it's not worth rewarding a lack of attention to detail on a high priced vanity item.

manhack

Nothing like Patron warrior to clear the enemies board and give yourself 22 armor in one turn, then after he deals with your patrons proceed to OTK him for 44 total damage from an empty board.

the animations alone took 30 seconds to resolve....

Kornflayx

Mage in Arena is disgusting. Completely unfun to play against. Mage in Arena is the same bullshit as Priest in Constructed. Just not fun.

*kickingaroundstuff*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom