• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxgt

Banned
run double bgh so i don't have to soulfire 8/8s

don't draw single one in 20 cards

have to soulfire 8/8 (down to 4 health after trading into my drake)

nice fucking game

soulfire always discards the best card. or maybe i'm cursed

the other day I was playing maly lock and had maly on board with 7 health. I had lethal with my soulfire and hellfire in hand but obviously had to play soulfire first or maly dies

I had 5 other cards along with those two, guess what was discarded? the rage was real.

ViviOggi

cut 1x soulfire because fuck this shit

need soulfire to finish off ancestral spirit KT that would otherwise resurrect a full board

hearthstonescreenshotknrsn.png

the screenshots i've been posting are literally the only times i've used soulfires with this deck

this is actually fucking unbelievable

€: ^ apparently it's actually hardcoded to discard malygos

Pooya

Soul fires made me rage far more than being ever useful so I removed them all from my warlock decks, at least I decide my own fate now!

ViviOggi

Also how do you even survive farming golden Shaman, with Reincarnate gimmick trash no less? Probably went from 0 to 500 just from reaching rank 3 this season

Yesterday, I pulled off the following on turn 8 as a Mage, in Arena:

I had a 3/2 Water Elemental on my side. Opponent had 4 minions up, one being a Taunt and another being an Imp Gang Boss. My opponent was at 11 life, I was at about 18.

I Flamestrike to clear his 4 minions, spawning a 1/1 Imp (from the Imp Gang Boss). I kill the 1/1 Imp with my Water Elemental. In total, 5 minions died. I proceed to cast all three of the Dragon's Breath I was holding in-hand at my opponent's face, securing the victory.

Arena Mage so OP.

ViviOggi

after literally braindead plays like this

this aggro paladin cancerlord - equality, 2 consecrates, 2 silences had already been played, making hammer of wrath the only actual out - stole the win with this unbelievably awful play:

(into second truesilver, obviously)

current rank 3 meta is actually "who can get the most fucking outrageous rng swings", it has never been worse

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
cut 1x soulfire because fuck this shit

need soulfire to finish off ancestral spirit KT that would otherwise resurrect a full board

the screenshots i've been posting are literally the only times i've used soulfires with this deck

this is actually fucking unbelievable

€: ^ apparently it's actually hardcoded to discard malygos

That's rough, it reminds of the time i had lethal with doomguard as long as it didn't discard my abusive sargent from my remaining cards, guess what got discarded costing me a win? Anyway do you guys think Malylock is consistent enough? In theory it seems strong but that discard mechanic seems very random.

That's rough, it reminds of the time i had lethal with doomguard as long as it didn't discard my abusive sargent from my remaining cards, guess what got discarded costing me a win? Anyway do you guys think Malylock is consistent enough? In theory it seems strong but that discard mechanic seems very random.

Similar thing happened to me with Doomguard + Reversing Switch. I could've flipped his health and attack to give me exact lethal, but nope, Doomguard tossed the card I needed. The other guy wound up winning later by playing a Tinkmaster Overspark that transformed my Leper Gnome into a squirrel out of 7 minions on my side and 2 on his (both of his were taunts). My board at the time was like 6 imps and a Leper Gnome. If Tink had hit literally any other minion, I would've had enough damage to push through his taunts for lethal (or just hit him with Leper Gnome's deathrattle). If Tink had transformed my minion into a Devilsaur, I would've had the win with enough damage to push through.

My experience with Malylock has pretty much been that either Malygos or Emperor are like the last card in the deck (hell, they're usually both in the bottom 10 cards), and I wind up fighting for the board the whole game trying to stall for the combo, but it just won't come. And Soulfire is always in my opening hand. Always. It's a terrible card to have early, because if you're forced to use it prior to the combo finisher, you can screw yourself with a bad discard. And it sucks when you finally get Malygos out with Dark Bomb and 2X Soulfire for lethal only to have the first Soulfire toss the other one.

ViviOggi

this is officially the most cancerous meta ever, i'd rather play against 100% face hunters again at least you can tech against that

ViviOggi

So basically it's Hearthstone post GvG.
It's gotten to a ridiculous point tbh, at first I thought johnsmith was just venting but he's actually right. With Tempo Mage, Cancerdin, Mech Shaman and to an extent Face/Hybrid Hunter you have all these gimmicky aggro/tempo decks relying on insane starts and very few key card topdecks for absurd power plays (Divine Favor, Flamewaker, Mech curve cheat into Powermace etc.) while completely ignoring the board. My games over the last couple of days felt more like arena right after GvG release where everyone drafted low curves, coined 2-drop into 2-drop and just went face than normal constructed business.

Dahbomb

It's gotten to a ridiculous point tbh, at first I thought johnsmith was just venting but he's actually right. With Tempo Mage, Cancerdin, Mech Shaman and to an extent Face/Hybrid Hunter you have all these gimmicky aggro/tempo decks relying on insane starts and very few key card topdecks for absurd power plays (Divine Favor, Flamewaker, Mech curve cheat into Powermace etc.) while completely ignoring the board. My games over the last couple of days felt more like arena right after GvG release where everyone drafted low curves, coined 2-drop into 2-drop and just went face than normal constructed business.
Yeah that has pretty much been my experience lately.

Decks with god opening draws that shut you out at the start and if you manage to stabilize they find a way to cheap out a win later on (double Fireballs, Kill Commands etc).

But it's whatever man. This is the playstyle that Hearthstone rewards by virtue of its design. Until we get better control cards, this is what we will deal with online.

It's actually very rare to have matches online these days where no one plays anything for 4 turns.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Kill Commands should be minion only I think, and the ironbeak owl shouldn't count as a beast imo.

Also Leper Gnomes should be nerfed, you may think a 2 damage deathrattle is not op but in hunter it is, if they get 2 leper gnomes out with coin it's pretty much game over right there. It should only be 1 damage.

Minsc

Gold Member
Anyone have a list of shame for Blizzard's $10 DLC (all the things messed up with the new skins)?

I just read that casting mirror image as your $10 mage skin makes jaina mirrors, seems pretty sloppy. I know there's a lot of voice work that's just plain incorrect or missing (like animal companion as the hunter hero).

Is Blizzard's stance really that they aren't going to fix any of this? Shame, little touches like that are what make Hearthstone seem more connected than your standard CCG, a little anyway.

gutshot

Anyone have a list of shame for Blizzard's $10 DLC (all the things messed up with the new skins)?

I just read that casting mirror image as your $10 mage skin makes jaina mirrors, seems pretty sloppy. I know there's a lot of voice work that's just plain incorrect or missing (like animal companion as the hunter hero).

Is Blizzard's stance really that they aren't going to fix any of this? Shame, little touches like that are what make Hearthstone seem more connected than your standard CCG, a little anyway.

They specifically said they weren't going to be changing any class cards nor should they have to. They've advertised it as a character portrait skin, not a completely new hero. I don't know why people are so annoyed about stuff like Mirror Image or Animal Companion.

The only thing that is really 'broken' are the custom voice interactions with Cairne and Vol'jin when playing against Magni. Those should be fixed and I suspect they will be at some point.

Opiate

I completely agree. Tempo Mage, Cancerdin and Mech Shaman are decks that are nearly unbeatable if they draw well and mediocre if they don't.

Honestly, Face Hunter is less bad to me, because I can figure out how to craft a deck to beat it. There is no "killer opening hand" that is unbeatable. It has counters. By contrast, there is virtually no counter to Cancerdin if they get just the right draws. Tempo mage is hard mulliganing for precisely three cards (Sorcerer's Apprentice, Mirror Image and Mana Wyrm), and if they get them, they're nearly unbeatable.

Opiate

They specifically said they weren't going to be changing any class cards nor should they have to. They've advertised it as a character portrait skin, not a completely new hero. I don't know why people are so annoyed about stuff like Mirror Image or Animal Companion.

The only thing that is really 'broken' are the custom voice interactions with Cairne and Vol'jin when playing against Magni. Those should be fixed and I suspect they will be at some point.

I think the answer is that Blizzard has a famously strident attention to detail. Things like mirror image are definitely "little details," but it is precisely those sorts of little things that separate Blizzard games for some people.

Copenap

I cannot believe they are really charging 8,99€ for each Hero. I know they can get away with it but sometimes it's not about what is allowed to do, but what is right to do...

Miletius

I really do like the skins, and I don't mind the price for them, but the little details are part of what I'd pay for as part of the package. I can't see myself paying for them unless those things, like the "little interactions" are fixed up.

VoxPop

What's everyone's favorite fun unique deck to play? Any recommendations?

I can never get sick of my Mill Rogue. I'm trying to get the cards to make a fun thief priest as well.

Anyone got a link to a good Hobgoblin Mech deck?

gutshot

I think the answer is that Blizzard has a famously strident attention to detail. Things like mirror image are definitely "little details," but it is precisely those sorts of little things that separate Blizzard games for some people.

The thing is, these little details add up to a lot of real world hours. OK, changing Mirror Image's art may be easy enough. But then what do you do with Animal Companion? The animals summoned are Rexxar's pets so you'd need to come up with three new pets for Alleria's card. But Alleria isn't really a beast master hunter, so what do you do there? Completely redesign the card to fit with her character better or just create 3 new beasts that aren't a part of existing lore? These are decisions that eat up development hours. And then you have other stuff like Kor'kron's fighting for the Alliance or Magni swinging Gorehowl. To be consistent you'd have to reskin those cards as well. And there are probably more that I have missed. And these are only the first 3 heroes. The others would require similar amounts of effort.

And this doesn't even address the issue of introducing something to the game that has never been included before: cards that look new and different but gameplay-wise are identical to existing cards. I'm guessing that is a can of worms that Blizzard doesn't want to open.

The point is Blizzard has to draw the line somewhere. They decided to draw the line at not reskinning class cards to be more consistent with the new heroes and I am fine with that. I'd rather they focus their efforts on designing new, unique cards anyway. Ones that aren't locked behind a paywall.

Dahbomb

I can never get sick of my Mill Rogue. I'm trying to get the cards to make a fun thief priest as well.

Rogue Mill deck.

I get giddy watching the cards burn.

Nothing gets my dick harder than burning an essential card in their decks like burning a Warlock's Malygos or a Control Warrior's Grommash or any deck's Dr Balanced.

Opiate

The thing is, these little details add up to a lot of real world hours. OK, changing Mirror Image's art may be easy enough. But then what do you do with Animal Companion? The animals summoned are Rexxar's pets so you'd need to come up with three new pets for Alleria's card. But Alleria isn't really a beast master hunter, so what do you do there? Completely redesign the card to fit with her character better or just create 3 new beasts that aren't a part of existing lore? These are decisions that eat up development hours. And then you have other stuff like Kor'kron's fighting for the Alliance or Magni swinging Gorehowl. To be consistent you'd have to reskin those cards as well. And there are probably more that I have missed. And these are only the first 3 heroes. The others would require similar amounts of effort.

And this doesn't even address the issue of introducing something to the game that has never been included before: cards that look new and different but gameplay-wise are identical to existing cards. I'm guessing that is a can of worms that Blizzard doesn't want to open.

The point is Blizzard has to draw the line somewhere. They decided to draw the line at not reskinning class cards to be more consistent with the new heroes and I am fine with that. I'd rather they focus their efforts on designing new, unique cards anyway. Ones that aren't locked behind a paywall.

I'm not arguing that it's simple, I'm just explaining why it bothers some people. There are already multiple people just in this thread saying that the combination of price + lack of attention to detail means they aren't buying these cosmetic items. If the price were lower or the attention to detail greater, they would.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

There's a huge difference though. The Mirror Image showing the wrong hero, or voice lines referring to the wrong hero, are things that any casual player might notice after they spent money on a new hero. Everything else you listed assumes some lore knowledge. The casual player doesn't know which are Rexxar's pets nor would it stick out to them that another Hunter had the same.

I agree they need to draw the line somewhere, but if this was their line, they picked the wrong one.

In any case, these heroes are objectively a bad value and I wasn't going to buy them anyway.

Opiate

I play a Warrior with the following cards:

2x Healbot
2x Shield Block
2x Shield Maidens
2x Armor Smith
2x Fiery War Axe
2x Death's Bite
1x Gorehowl
2x Brawl
2x Sludge Belcher
2x Piloted Shredder
1x Big Game Hunter
2x Cruel Taskmaster
2x Whirlwind
2x Shield Slam
2x Execute
1x Dr. Boom
1x Loatheb

The goal of the deck: survive. Tons of healing and armor gain with very low mana curve to allow armor up on virtually every turn. The minions I do have (e.g. sludge belcher, boom, piloted shredder) are designed to be sticky minions that are a pain to get rid of.

It is extremely strong against face hunter and good against cancerdin. The reason why I enjoy it so much is that it doesn't just beat face hunter / cancer, it beats them slowly, and forces them to play long games. If you ever thought "I wish I could make this face hunter die a slow, painful death," this deck is a good choice.

I'm still willing to listen to recommendations or small changes. The deck isn't terrible -- it's probably a rank 10ish sort of deck on its own -- but it's mostly used when I want to troll agro decks. The biggest issue is that one current form of agro decks -- tempo mages -- can give it fits.

Opiate

The deck listed above also does well against control decks, provided they don't have Harrison. If you can get going, your gorehowl can eat 3-4 cards single handedly, and it makes them feel super bad about playing large minions because they know you can just slam your face in to it and it barely phases you because you have 28 hp and 20 armor.

It's biggest weakness generally are mid range decks which flood the board with minions.

gutshot

I'm not arguing that it's simple, I'm just explaining why it bothers some people. There are already multiple people just in this thread saying that the combination of price + lack of attention to detail means they aren't buying these cosmetic items. If the price were lower or the attention to detail greater, they would.

OK. I guess my main contention is people saying their handling of this is sloppy. They made a deliberate decision not to dedicate development hours to reskinning a bunch of class cards. There was nothing sloppy or lazy about it.

Now, if you want to argue that the lack of reskinned cards makes the $10 for an alternate hero a bad value, I wouldn't necessarily disagree. I think $10 is a lot to pay, no matter what, for something that is completely cosmetic. Of course, I'm a (mostly) F2P player, so I probably wouldn't have bought these even if they were $0.99.

There's a huge difference though. The Mirror Image showing the wrong hero, or voice lines referring to the wrong hero, are things that any casual player might notice after they spent money on a new hero. Everything else you listed assumes some lore knowledge. The casual player doesn't know which are Rexxar's pets nor would it stick out to them that another Hunter had the same.

I agree they need to draw the line somewhere, but if this was their line, they picked the wrong one.

In any case, these heroes are objectively a bad value and I wasn't going to buy them anyway.

I had no idea that Mirror Image was supposed to be two Jainas. I just thought it was a random girl (the mirror part being that there are two of them). So you could argue that that card is just as likely to not be noticed by the casual players than any of the others.

I think the line they've drawn is reasonable. You either commit to reskinning or you don't. Doing it halfway is the wrong decision IMO.

Opiate

I think the biggest problem with reskinning is actually not apparent yet: I suspect we'll get many heroes going forward. I would not be surprised if, a year from now, there are (oh, let's say) 3 different options for each hero type, including the base option.

That would get out of hand very quickly if each of those were a detailed reskin.

For $10 each they should commit to the re-skin. It would actually be a worthwhile addition to the game then.

I mean Rexxar's animal companions I can live without changing because that's a fairly niche piece of lore and it's also basically impossible to change, but it's (relatively) easy to change the imagery on Mirror Image, and certainly to disable incorrect voice interactions (Cairne, Vol'Jin, etc.) and to introduce new ones.

Miletius

I think the idea is more that small changes indicate that they are paying attention to the new skin and how it interacts with the game. The lack of attention to detail, or the deliberate ignoring of it makes the skin seem very superficial.

I wouldn't demand that they change Gorehowl or Animal Companion, for instance, but it would be nice to have some effort devoted to keeping things in line with your new hero. Mirror image is a good example of that.

I'd also argue, however, that finding 3 possible pets for Alleria wouldn't be that hard either since you don't need to change the stats and you have art available from the Warcraft TCG either way.

Can't beat Randuin Wrynn for fun.

My current form of the deck:

I still need to craft Lorewalker Cho to really have fun with this. Really, any 30 cards with the "random" search or cards that cause random things to happen will do fine.

You won't get to Legend, or even win a lot of games, but you will laugh a lot, guaranteed.

Tacitus_

I think the biggest problem with reskinning is actually not apparent yet: I suspect we'll get many heroes going forward. I would not be surprised if, a year from now, there are (oh, let's say) 3 different options for each hero type, including the base option.

That would get out of hand very quickly if each of those were a detailed reskin.

They're the ones asking 10 bucks for each. You'd expect them to do more than add a gif and a couple lines of VA.

VoxPop

I play a Warrior with the following cards:

2x Healbot
2x Shield Block
2x Shield Maidens
2x Armor Smith
2x Fiery War Axe
2x Death's Bite
1x Gorehowl
2x Brawl
2x Sludge Belcher
2x Piloted Shredder
1x Big Game Hunter
2x Cruel Taskmaster
2x Whirlwind
2x Shield Slam
2x Execute
1x Dr. Boom
1x Loatheb

The goal of the deck: survive. Tons of healing and armor gain with very low mana curve to allow armor up on virtually every turn. The minions I do have (e.g. sludge belcher, boom, piloted shredder) are designed to be sticky minions that are a pain to get rid of.

It is extremely strong against face hunter and good against cancerdin. The reason why I enjoy it so much is that it doesn't just beat face hunter / cancer, it beats them slowly, and forces them to play long games. If you ever thought "I wish I could make this face hunter die a slow, painful death," this deck is a good choice.

I'm still willing to listen to recommendations or small changes. The deck isn't terrible -- it's probably a rank 10ish sort of deck on its own -- but it's mostly used when I want to troll agro decks. The biggest issue is that one current form of agro decks -- tempo mages -- can give it fits.

This sounds pretty awesome. An addition of a Brawl or two would make this annoying as hell. And to finish them off, a Deathwing xD

TetraxShards said:
I still need to craft Lorewalker Cho to really have fun with this. Really, any 30 cards with the "random" search or cards that cause random things to happen will do fine.

You won't get to Legend, or even win a lot of games, but you will laugh a lot, guaranteed.

Yeah I really have no urge to hit legend. Furthest I got was rank 4. I just wanna enjoy the game and play with fun decks. Win rate is not really much of a concern or I wouldn't even touch my Mill Rogue :p

Opiate

This sounds pretty awesome. An addition of a Brawl or two would make this annoying as hell. And to finish them off, a Deathwing xD

I do have two brawls in there! Deathwing is actually a really interesting idea. The issue is that I almost always have a hand full of valuable cards; it's not a deck that runs through the hand quickly.

Other possibilities include swapping out loatheb for a sylvanas or cairne.

Acinixys

I 100% disagree

Games like LoL and Dota constantly get total conversion skins for their heros.

They get things like new animations, particles, custom icons and even dumb additions like pets.

Blizzard needs to step up or get out. Even if it requires stating the class on the hero portrait so people know what they are playing.

Charging $10 for a shiny picture is shady as fuck and reeks of dodgy mobile F2P practices

Opiate

I 100% disagree

Games like LoL and Dota constantly get total conversion skins for their heros.

They get things like new animations, particles, custom icons and even dumb additions like pets.

Blizzard needs to step up or get out. Even if it requires stating the class on the hero portrait so people know what they are playing.

Charging $10 for a shiny picture is shady as fuck and reeks of dodgy mobile F2P practices

Yes, that's a reasonable argument to make. I suspect the DotA 2 team (and certainly the LoL team) are much bigger than the Hearthstone team, for what it's worth.

"Stepping up" here might mean bringing on more staff. Not that this is unreasonable, mind you.

ViviOggi

Yes, that's a reasonable argument to make. I suspect the DotA 2 team (and certainly the LoL team) are much bigger than the Hearthstone team, for what it's worth.

"Stepping up" here might mean bringing on more staff. Not that this is unreasonable, mind you.
Valve of course outsources many cosmetics (not arcanas and most immortals though) and has their rolling desk structure and whatnot but Dota 2's core team is actually tiny, like <25 people.

Acinixys

Valve of course outsources many cosmetics (not arcanas and most immortals though) and has their rolling desk structure and whatnot but Dota 2's core team is actually tiny, like <25 people.

More like 3 hehehe

Icefrog, Botguy and that one dude who patches in tournament tickets

Even if Hearthstones team is only 20 people, they are a massive company with hundreds of employees.

They should be able to get a competent product out.

Special C

I'm ok with half baked reskin cash grabs. That way I can get cool stuff like Tavern Brawl for free. If they wasted all the dev time on the reskins we wouldn't be getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom