• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copenap

I'm ok with half baked reskin cash grabs. That way I can get cool stuff like Tavern Brawl for free. If they wasted all the dev time on the reskins we wouldn't be getting it.
Pretty sure Tavern Brawl will only be free during the launch celebration period so you should hope they increase the reskin prices.

gutshot

Pretty sure Tavern Brawl will only be free during the launch celebration period so you should hope they increase the reskin prices.

I don't think that will be the case. AFAIK, there aren't any rewards or anything you receive from it. It's just another mode for you to play and complete your dailies and/or earn 10 gold for every 3 wins.

JesseZao

They said it's free period.

There was some minor miscommunication from twitter, but they clarified finally that it'll always be free. The only thing to change after the first month or so, is that you won't get a classic pack as a win reward anymore.

Copenap

I don't think that will be the case. AFAIK, there aren't any rewards or anything you receive from it. It's just another mode for you to play and complete your dailies and/or earn 10 gold for every 3 wins.

They said it's free period.

There was some minor miscommunication from twitter, but they clarified finally that it'll always be free. The only thing to change after the first month or so, is that you won't get a classic pack as a win reward anymore.
Totally missed that. Their phrasing was pretty sloppy in the announcement then. Do you happen to have a link to that confirmation?

Edit: From what I found there is still nothing they couldn't easily later spin into 'only free for limited time' but I will be optimistic and hope for the best.

JesseZao

Totally missed that. Their phrasing was pretty sloppy in the announcement then. Do you happen to have a link to that confirmation?

Edit: From what I found there is still nothing they couldn't easily later spin into 'only free for limited time' but I will be optimistic and hope for the best.

Zeriyah deleted her tweet about it being free only during the launch period. Then Withurn stated Tavern Brawl is free. Then Zeriyah made a new tweet saying the same thing.

https://twitter.com/CM_Whirthun/status/608675539902038017

https://twitter.com/CM_Zeriyah/status/608682541051183104

Opiate

Zetalot just got beat by a Warrior who killed him with Grommash.

That Grommash was activated by the Warrior using his Shadow Form hero power to do 2 damage to him to activate. I had to look just to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was seeing.

manhack

After practicing with Grim Patron for a little bit, it is physically painful to watch Trump play this deck.

It's pretty much the stealth balance, that you need to be able to figure out the plays, make all of the necessary attacks and make it through the animations before the rope hits.

Kenaras

Zetalot just got beat by a Warrior who killed him with Grommash.

That Grommash was activated by the Warrior using his Shadow Form hero power to do 2 damage to him to activate. I had to look just to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was seeing.

Yeah, I saw that game: Shadowform Magni by way of Nefarian. Cute.

ViviOggi

After practicing with Grim Patron for a little bit, it is physically painful to watch Trump play this deck.

It's pretty much the stealth balance, that you need to be able to figure out the plays, make all of the necessary attacks and make it through the animations before the rope hits.
Trump playing Miracle back in the day (rip) was the same thing, he even had analysis restreams of top Miracle players for days but it was no good. Guy can't play combo decks to save his life.

Copenap

Zeriyah deleted her tweet about it being free only during the launch period. Then Withurn stated Tavern Brawl is free. Then Zeriyah made a new tweet saying the same thing.

https://twitter.com/CM_Whirthun/status/608675539902038017

https://twitter.com/CM_Zeriyah/status/608682541051183104
What still leaves me sceptical is how people specifically ask if it is permanently free and they never have that in their answer, just "it's free". Well yeah,for now at least.

manhack

Trump playing Miracle back in the day (rip) was the same thing, he even had analysis restreams of top Miracle players for days but it was no good. Guy can't play combo decks to save his life.

The scary part is that he is rank 2 with it. It just pulls out so many wins from nowhere.

JesseZao

What still leaves me sceptical is how people specifically ask if it is permanently free and they never have that in their answer, just "it's free". Well yeah,for now at least.

I don't think it's something to lose sleep over. They stated plainly that it's free. No need to read into it further at this point. Businesses in general probably don't want to commit to absolutes in case something changes in the future.

inky

Skimming Kripp's last stream and I see he got a pack with:

1 Golden Legendary
1 Golden Epic
1 Epic
1 Rare
1 Common

Ridiculous.

iNvid02

Skimming Kripp's last stream and I see he got a pack with:

1 Golden Legendary
1 Golden Epic
1 Epic
1 Rare
1 Common

Ridiculous.

every time kripp is about to open a pack brode gets a notification and if he's got a few minutes to spare spruces the pack up for him. they actually do this for all the popular players so the elite can stay at the top and keep us common folk pinned down with our 5 magma ragers

I want taunts that can't be silenced and force all spells at them (instead of allowing spells to be cast at any minion or face). I think that would help keep these RNG face decks honest.

I want taunts that can't be silenced and force all spells at them (instead of allowing spells to be cast at any minion or face). I think that would help keep these RNG face decks honest.

That would have to be a 1/1 really. Making a card that can't be silenced is a terrible idea. Power creep incarnate.

As much as it sucks losing to aggro's dream openers, I honestly think people would hate a super-greedy control meta even more. Then it would just be players going "B-b-but he only beat me because he had LEGENDARY CARDS!"

Sande

I've been frustrated by face hunters for months and now that I'm finally playing face hunter for the first time (shut up, I have 2 quests) I'm frustrated as one. Literally every deck I'm facing feels like it's specifically made to counter face hunters.

Tacitus_

Man my draws have been shit for the last 5 games. BGH in my opening hand when the opponent doesn't run any targets and it's in the last 5 cards when I stumble into a handlock.

Heropon

B67ZV2M.jpg

Feels good destroying aggro decks in one turn thanks to some luck. He was about to win and Ysera pulled the dream cards that I needed. I hope the next legendary I get is as good as Ysera or if it's a dud, it's golden.

Priest had buffed deathlord up to 4/12 or something crazy, had no removal so had to sacrifice lots of minions into it....killing it spawned me kel thuzzad, gg

cHinzo

Lmao, a Priest played Venture Co. Mercenary and buffed it with Velen's Chosen two times and a Power Word Shield and I changed its attack to 1 with Aldor's Peacekeeper in arena. He was so screwed having a 1/16 minion on the board, because he hardly could play any other minions with it with the +3 mana cost for his minions and couldn't get rid of it. xD Currently 5-0 with this Paladin deck I drafted. :D Maybe I can get 7 wins with it. Still pretty new to this game, but having lots of fun with this deck. Had some fun combos already with the Muster for Battle + Flesheating Ghoul or Knife Juggler combo.

f35aa573ee.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What we really need is to bring back Miracle Rogue.

I think Patron Warrior is a problem but I hope it isn't gutted like Miracle Rogue was. It's such a fun deck to play, which is rare in a sea of boring, deterministic decks with a single gameplan they stick to for 5-20 minutes. You have to be as creative with Patron Warrior as Miracle Rogue or Oil Rogue, and the game definitely needs more of that.

manhack

cut 1x soulfire because fuck this shit

need soulfire to finish off ancestral spirit KT that would otherwise resurrect a full board

the screenshots i've been posting are literally the only times i've used soulfires with this deck

this is actually fucking unbelievable

€: ^ apparently it's actually hardcoded to discard malygos

Was watching Hotform's stream and he was playing against a Malylock...dude had 8-9 cards and plays soulfire...it discards Malygos...LOLOLOL

Miracle should stay dead. And grim patron will probably have to be addressed. These combo decks just don't work in hearthstone in the grand scheme of things. How they tend to restrict and ultimately squeeze the meta is just absolutely the worst thing that can happen in a game like hearthstone.

Dahbomb

Wait a minute.... they took away the Golden Portrait from Hunters? Is this true? Just saw it in the latest Kripp video.

"Blizzard took out golden portrait for Hunteres because they realized how easy it is for Hunters to get 500 wins so this balances them"

LMAO! Also another ROFL @ Kripp explaining why Explosive Shot doesn't get used by Hunters in Constructed.

"Explosive Shot is a good card but it can't go to the face so it sucks for Hunters on Ladder."

Opiate

RNG Rage: Had a priest who just barely beat me. The clear killer blow: he had a piloted skygolem which spawned a piloted shredder which spawned a succubus.

That is 6/4 + 4/3 + 4/3 for a total of 14/10 for 6 mana. Ugh.

johnsmith

remember me
If you really hate midrange hunter play shockadin. Wrecks it so hard. It's hilarious seeing them use their highmane to attack a 1/1 because they're scared.

manhack

Doing quests on my Free 2 Play Eu account...went on a 7-0 winstreak...

Wrecking Patron warriors with Free 2 play mage is so fun.

Bizazedo

Patron needs to be nerfed. Shit is ridiculous. Honestly, it's a million times worse than miracle rogue was in it's prime. Way more consistent.

and Kibler agrees with me
http://bmkgaming.com/on-patron-warrior-and-nerfs-everyone-get-out-of-here/

Eh. I've been crushing Patron pretty regularly with a modified tempo mage that runs two flamestrikes. That or making sure my minions all have at least 3 attack. Early pressure makes them burn a lot of their combo parts and then flamestrike crushes them when they think they have it in the bag.

That being said, I don't win every time and the most recent win I got bailed out after taking 26 damage in one round by a Jaraxxus from Unstable Portal with Antonidas on the board.

I honestly still hate Face Hunter more.

RNG Rage: Had a priest who just barely beat me. The clear killer blow: he had a piloted skygolem which spawned a piloted shredder which spawned a succubus.

That is 6/4 + 4/3 + 4/3 for a total of 14/10 for 6 mana. Ugh.

And the Shredders. Face Hunters and shredders haha.

I guess I'm saying I'd be interested in seeing the data Blizzard has on the decks / cards.

Miracle should stay dead. And grim patron will probably have to be addressed. These combo decks just don't work in hearthstone in the grand scheme of things. How they tend to restrict and ultimately squeeze the meta is just absolutely the worst thing that can happen in a game like hearthstone.

Funny because I feel the exact opposite way.

I mean these decks aren't like Storm from MTG. They're actually incredibly interactive by comparison to Storm. And they're also fun and math-y and skill intensive and require some creative lines of play to actually string together the combo in sometimes really MacGuyver-esque ways. On top of that I simply don't think they're unbeatable, they're just GOOD, which is not the same thing at all. It should not be impossible to have combo decks in the top tier, I don't think that is somehow a crime for combo decks only.

Patron needs to be nerfed. Shit is ridiculous. Honestly, it's a million times worse than miracle rogue was in it's prime. Way more consistent.

and Kibler agrees with me
http://bmkgaming.com/on-patron-warrior-and-nerfs-everyone-get-out-of-here/

Kibler likes mid-rangey grindy decks that fight for value on every play, so that's not really a shocker...

It's a completely different style of skill from the Stanislav Cifka Eggs decks. Speaking of which, Kibler once walked away from a tournament game in disgust because his opponent's combo turn was taking so long lol.

Funny because I feel the exact opposite way.

I mean these decks aren't like Storm from MTG. They're actually incredibly interactive by comparison to Storm. And they're also fun and math-y and skill intensive and require some creative lines of play to actually string together the combo in sometimes really MacGuyver-esque ways. On top of that I simply don't think they're unbeatable, they're just GOOD, which is not the same thing at all. It should not be impossible to have combo decks in the top tier, I don't think that is somehow a crime for combo decks only.

Kibler likes mid-rangey grindy decks that fight for value on every play, so that's not really a shocker...

It's a completely different style of skill from the Stanislav Cifka Eggs decks. Speaking of which, Kibler once walked away from a tournament game in disgust because his opponent's combo turn was taking so long lol.

Kibler is not the only pro player disgusted with grim patron. Even combo lovers like reynad think the deck is broken.

Also LOL @ miracle being interactive.

Kibler is not the only pro player disgusted with grim patron. Even combo lovers like reynad think the deck is broken.

Also LOL @ miracle being interactive.

Miracle wasn't as much, fine. Still way more interactive than Storm decks which was the explicit comparison.

I played a lot of Legacy and dying on turn 1 with Thalia in my hand is something that literally happened at tournaments in multiple games.

Still don't think Gadgetzan needed to be nerfed I think the Leeroy nerf was enough to start with. And Patron isn't anywhere close to as uninteractive, it cares a lot about the board state. You can actually beat it in ways other than watching it lose to itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom