• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

blizzard provides free content that will change on a weekly basis

let's complain immediately

This type of content wasn't the best way to show off the mode. There's literally nothing like say, leaderboards, or something interesting to make the mode fun or competitive.

It's literally "take bosses from BRM, let you play as them, oh btw Nefarian is OP LOL"

Instead of "build a deck using only spells and 10 minions" or something unique and interesting.

ViviOggi

The game being f2p doesn't make updates immune to criticism. Blizzard isn't doing this out of kindness, it's a well-established business model they chose.

I haven't seen anyone doom tavern brawl entirely, just voicing very justified disappointment over this specific challenge.

manhack

This type of content wasn't the best way to show off the mode. There's literally nothing like say, leaderboards, or something interesting to make the mode fun or competitive.

It's literally "take bosses from BRM, let you play as them, oh btw Nefarian is OP LOL"

Instead of "build a deck using only spells and 10 minions" or something unique and interesting.

Exactly. Had a few fun games and am happy Tavern Brawl exists.

They REALLY need to add some kind of real-time stats or leaderboards to the game on top of a better rewards system.

Playing on my EU account and this happened. Guy was at 30 health too.

hearthstonescreenshote0ps3.png

mxgt

Banned

I agree there's a lot they can do to improve it, but I think it's a promising start and something the game really needed to give people a break from this boring meta.

There's just so much doom and gloom in the HS community,
and I am no exception

Finding the games actually somewhat fun, but I wish Rag had some more bonkers cards (he has a few but also some complete garbage like flame imp).

If Nef gets Vael or Razoregore early the game is just completely lopsided especially if wild magic does anything relevant.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just got a 0 mana mind control.

Like, Rag is going to spend his entire turn dropping something, then I just take it and drop huge shit.

cackhyena

I agree there's a lot they can do to improve it, but I think it's a promising start and something the game really needed to give people a break from this boring meta.

There's just so much doom and gloom in the HS community,
and I am no exception

I just need an extra incentive to play. Like, I have zero reason to go back with nothing to gain after I got the deck. Luckily it had a Legendary I didn't have yet. :)

So yeah, I can totally see this becoming unplayable in a few days because lots of people just conceding when they get Rag. I won with him once on my first game because I got really lucky but that's it.

Xanathus

I just feel like the Dev hours spent on this and potentially every new brawl every week could be spent much better on something else.

Cagey

Banned
Holy shit Rag sucks. Is nef meant to start with 5 mana because that's totally ridiculous.

I lost my first 3 games, all as Rag, and they were all brutal blowouts. Now I'm in a game as the other one and I see my opponent play two 2 cost 6/6 taunts. Never saw that damn card in the first 3 games =/

Is the dream possibru?! This deck is so fun to play.

That's a constructed deck, wow.

inky

I just feel like the Dev hours spent on this and potentially every new brawl every week could be spent much better on something else.

More hero portraits! Make them $15 this time!

I don't see myself playing brawls too much unless they are as fun as the full Portal Mage Challenge is, or something that invites you to be more creative with your deck building skills.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I lost my first 3 games, all as Rag, and they were all brutal blowouts. Now I'm in a game as the other one and I see my opponent play two 2 cost 6/6 taunts. Never saw that damn card in the first 3 games =/

You need those to stand any chance. He has a 2 mana 6/6 taunt a 2 mana 4/5 windfury and a 3 mana(I think) 5/3 that does 6 damage on battlecry.

I had an opener with all of those and still lost. Turns out a 0 mana bane of doom is kinda insane.

Cagey

Banned
You need those to stand any chance. He has a 2 mana 6/6 taunt a 2 mana 4/5 windfury and a 3 mana(I think) 5/3 that does 6 damage on battlecry.

I had an opener with all of those and still lost. Turns out a 0 mana bane of doom is kinda insane.

Well, I demolished that guy even with the turn 2 and turn 3 6/6 taunts.

There's no balance here.

G.ZZZ

I just designed the best deck ever, Malypriest
but i can't actually test it because i have neither Velen nor Malygod :[

Back to farming gold BabyRage
mayatomr_gdlk.gif

Nef has huge advantage early game. Especially if he get to pull a Valestraz, that's pretty much auto lose as you will need a brawl to clear his bigger minions and that comes way too late.

I geniunely can't find a bad card in Nef's deck. While Rag gets total garbage like flame imp and lava burst.

ManCannon

I dunno, I rather enjoyed Tavern Brawl and the novelty it provides...
for the first few games until I got pissed lol. Finally got my win and got crap cards.

Ashodin

I get what they're trying to do with Tavern Brawl, really. They want to continue to drum up interest between mega-expansions of cards and adventures. There's a definite "lull" between each one (and we're in one right now) so they wanted something that changes often.

My question is, when will the Tavern Brawls start repeating? If it does, what about tweaking them when they do, so it's more RNG and interesting each time?

Played like 5 games of the brawl. Nefarian is definitely OP, though I did lose one game as him due to extremely unlucky draws.

Otherwise they all went as expected.

One game when I was winning as Rag the Nefarian pulled a 0-mana Twisting Nether on me and it's just like WELP.

Got like 100+ dust out of the pack from a duplicate Ancient of War.

What Rag needs are way better early game removal. Son of flame is the only decent one he's got, and even then it doesn't deal with the many 7/7s cleanly. When Nef drops a fucking Valestraz Rag needs to be able to instantly deal with it, even through a taunt. He needs a 7 damage lava burst, WITHOUT the overload, because he's already coming in from behind mana wise.

sibarraz

Banned
CvsSNqk.png

RNG-esus

The first game made me think that nefarian was super op since I destroyed rag, the second one I started to think that maybe they were more balanced since rag had some cool late game cards. And then I pulled that card and I realized that nefarian is OP as fuck

JesseZao

Surprisingly still having fun with the brawl. I do wish there were some rankings or leaderboards, but they don't want to scare of the ladder anxiety kids I guess. This is my go to mode between ranked grinds.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I like the idea of Brawl but it does need some work.And playing as Nef actually makes me feel bad for my opponent. Lot of Rag players have just been quitting out early.

I don't know what people are saying. My matches have been pretty even between the two with the majority of losses being on Nef.

Bad draws usually prevent me from chunking Rag's health down and once he gets his new hero power it's pretty much over.

Drake

I finally won a game with Rag, it took like 5 tries. You have to get perfect early game draws or mulligan into the perfect early game. Even then it's very difficult. A game before I had lethal on the board with golemagg and a molten giant and the guy got fucking shadow word death from wild magic. I eventually ended up losing.

5 mana for Nefarian to start with is too crazy. i wouldn't be surprised if 75% of all the games were won by Nefarian.

How something this imbalanced got through Blizzard testing is beyond me. Hopefully they do a better job next week.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ugh

I want to buy the Mage alt stuff, but $10 keeps me hesitating. If it was $5 I would have already pulled the trigger.

Won my game as Rag vs Nef. That bastard starting with 5 mana is OP. I think the key to winning was to burn through my weapon ASAP to trigger the 8 damage per hero power.

Honestly, I expected something completely different than what we got in Tavern Brawl. I am not sure why I'd play this mode, honestly.

Pooya

When preorders for BRM went up, I faced quite a few people with the card back.
So far I've only faced one hero skin and I played quite a few matches these past days. I'd guess they're not selling all that well, anecdotes and all that. really messed up the price, it's a good idea.

ViviOggi

Won my game as Rag vs Nef. Honestly, though, I expected something completely different than what we got in Tavern Brawl. I am not sure why I'd play this mode, honestly.
Those screenshots showing custom-built decks in tavern brawl were from the official blog, right? So that's coming in some form, on the other hand the datamined patch revealed a crapload of cheat cards, which makes me assume they're at least going for an even mix of silly boss battles and Challengestone-style brawls. The response to today's coin flip simulator might change their plans going forward though.

Willectro

Banned
I absolutely love Blizzard and Hearthstone, but this Tavern Brawl (at least this week) is just bad. Not quite as bad as the solo adventures, which forced players to endure horribly boring content to unlock cards required to compete in the meta, but still pretty shit. Would be nice to save both players 5 or 10 minutes and just allow a coin flip to determine the outcome of the game, because next to zero strategy is required.

I know this is week 1, but I had hoped some form of deck building would be required. This game has so much potential that doesn't seem to be fully realized or implemented at this point.

Ah well, back to ladder I guess.

manhack

Was doing some friendly matches with someone on my friend list.

I beat him while playing patron warrior and before the game was over I got the message

"The challenge has been cancelled because the user is no longer your friend"

:( :( :(

I guess if that is any indication how much people hate that deck, then something needs to change.

Alrus

I know it's cliché to complain about mages in arena but I'm going to bitch about it because seriously, what can you fucking do against a mage with 2 skillstrike, 4 skillball, 2 poly and more bullshit like Leeroy ;_; So skill, much fun :/

JesseZao

When preorders for BRM went up, I faced quite a few people with the card back.
So far I've only faced one hero skin and I played quite a few matches these past days. I'd guess they're not selling all that well, anecdotes and all that. really messed up the price, it's a good idea.

Well, one is a cardback/skin for 3 classes and the other is a cardback for any class that comes with content everyone will be getting eventually and a lot of people will buy it with cash.

I finally got home and tried out the brawl, and yeah, I don't see how Rag is supposed to win that. I didn't even get any spells worth a damn from Wild Magic, but the other guy just couldn't do anything to remove my minions. I think I killed more of my own guys with Shadow Flame than he did. I'm pretty sure I put more face damage on myself than he did with that 7/7 that hits for 2 whenever you play a card. Dude finally got a living bomb on my Chromagus, but I had lethal on my turn anyway. That weapon is just pitiful considering the hole that Rag starts out in. You can't remove shit with it, but you kind of have to hit Nefarian's minions so that you can at least try to survive. At least I got an epic in my pack.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So should I spend the $10 or Magni or not?

If it was $5 I wouldn't even ask. My heart wants to, but my head says your really gonna pay $10 for a skin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom