• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I've been winning a lot as rag. I think people are just bad at playing rag or something.

1. mulligan exclusively for 2/3 cost cards except for maybe molten giant
2. attack every turn with your weapon, the 8 damage hero power wins the game once you have it
3. your only goal for the first 7 turns is slow the game down. Whatever move makes the game take longer is the winning move. 'Value' doesn't mean shit.

Rag should win every single game that goes long.

Yeah I don't think Rag does THAT poorly in the matchup.

Nefarian definitely has an advantage, especially with a decent starting hand but if Rag can get the hero power without taking too much damage it's pretty much over.

I think in the beginning when you don't know what rag and nef have, nef is definitely better. But once you know what is going on, I think rag is actually much more consistent and if nef whiffs a few hero powers like I have been, you can lose hard.

Just had a match where I got upgrade, blade flurry, and savagery. The power!

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
It seems like to win with Rag you really need to Mulligan HARD for the 6/6 Taunt or Lucifron (if you have coin).

Living Bomb can also work but it really sucks to have to eat 7 to the face just to get a kill.

If Nef gets Razogore out turn 1 (w/ Coin), you are probably dead.

Ignoring that the matchup is definitely winnable by Rag, but does need some key cards. If you can get a Mass of Core Hounds you'll roll over Nef no problem.

Brofist

Rag is obviously favored late game, but if Nef players get the dream start with the card that reduces other card costs by 3 just concede.

It seems like to win with Rag you really need to Mulligan HARD for the 6/6 Taunt or Lucifron (if you have coin).

Living Bomb can also work but it really sucks to have to eat 7 to the face just to get a kill.

If Nef gets Razogore out turn 1 (w/ Coin), you are probably dead.

Ignoring that the matchup is definitely winnable by Rag, but does need some key cards. If you can get a Mass of Core Hounds you'll roll over Nef no problem.

Eating 7 to the face is fine. You have 60hp and you're getting closer to free molten giants.

Coin razorgore or valestraz is pretty much instant concede. It's almost impossible to make a come back from that. I've played as Nef where I coin Valestraz and is able to drop my whole hand by turn 3 for unstoppable curb stomps.

Yeah I don't think Rag does THAT poorly in the matchup.

Nefarian definitely has an advantage, especially with a decent starting hand but if Rag can get the hero power without taking too much damage it's pretty much over.

That's a big damn "if". You have to survive, what, 6 rounds without taking a large amount of damage? Very hard to do. I really wonder about the playtesting on this.

Edit: played as Nef and hero powered a Mind Control on turn 2. Stole Rag's 6/6 taunt and he conceded immediately. So dirty.

My opponent nef got a lay on hands and then a shield block. My rag power kept going face of course. But it turned out to be a good thing since after a while going face wins the game of course lol. But this guy bought himself many turns from RNG, #esports lol. Fun stuff.

Here is how my first four Tavern Brawls went:

1) I'm Rag. Opponent coins out Vael. I lose on turn 5.
2) I'm Nef. Opponent concedes before the match even starts.
3) I'm Rag. Opponent coins out Vael. I lose on turn 6.
4) I'm Nef. I don't Coin out Vael. Opponent concedes on turn 5.

This is terrible. I'd be pissed if I had paid for it. It should be fun but is just a waste of time.

Here is how my first four Tavern Brawls went:

1) I'm Rag. Opponent coins out Vael. I lose on turn 5.
2) I'm Nef. Opponent concedes before the match even starts.
3) I'm Rag. Opponent coins out Vael. I lose on turn 6.
4) I'm Nef. I don't Coin out Vael. Opponent concedes on turn 5.

This is terrible. I'd be pissed if I had paid for it. It should be fun but is just a waste of time.

Agreed

Maximo

Holy fuck Tavern is fun! Also jesus christ. Nef brought out onyxia couldn't deal with it or any of the dragons. He then proceeds to use Bloodlust AND Save Roar and completely decimate me >.<

JesseZao

Each core puppy will attempt to summon the number of core pups that died. So, 1 dead and 3 left on board means you'll get 3 new ones at the end of the turn. Wish this were a real card.

Each core puppy will attempt to summon the number of core pups that died. So, 1 dead and 3 left on board means you'll get 3 new ones at the end of the turn. Wish this were a real card.

It is a pretty crazy card for sure. I easily had a board of 7 pups which worked great for making that valueable shadowflame or lose.

Really not true. Rag's hero power is really valuable in this fight. I think it is a lot more balanced than people think. It is definitely more balanced than I initially thought.

Maybe it's not as bad as I put it, but it's still definitely not balanced. Nef floods the board too well and getting 0 mana spells for two mana tips him over the edge early on. Rag has to survive 6 turns without taking too much damage, Pretty hard to do.

Maybe it's not as bad as I put it, but it's still definitely not balanced. Nef floods the board too well and getting 0 mana spells for two mana tips him over the edge early on. Rag has to survive 6 turns without taking too much damage, Pretty hard to do.

The more I play, the more balanced I think it is. The time i thought it was broken was when I was really not aware of each deck's capabilities and wasn't playing rag right.

Also, nefarian can just blow rag out with good rng of course. But the opposite is also possible if nef whiffs. The variance is really high.

Ok.. So I lost my first match in Tavern Brawl and won my second which got me a card pack.

I'm up to 9 wins. Does any of this matter? Will the wins I gatether turn into something next Wednesday?

Is there anyway for me to delete my ranked progress? I started playing this game back when it first came out. However, I stopped playing for a really long time and now Im just out matched.

Is there anyway for me to delete my ranked progress? I started playing this game back when it first came out. However, I stopped playing for a really long time and now Im just out matched.

Every month your ranked resets basically back to the beginning. You get some bonus stars based on your last month's performance. I recommend just keep playing and trying to improve, or play in casual rather than ranked.

Kettch

I've won 3 or 4 games as Rag now, so it's not completely hopeless. It's also quite enjoyable to do so. Pretty silly of people to concede when there are no rewards for this outside of enjoyment. If all you want to do is win you might as well play some practice matches against the AI.

I've won 3 or 4 games as Rag now, so it's not completely hopeless. It's also quite enjoyable to do so. Pretty silly of people to concede when there are no rewards for this outside of enjoyment. If all you want to do is win you might as well play some practice matches against the AI.

Don't you get gold? I guess I thought this was the case but wasn't really paying attention.

I played 12 games so far and I actually really enjoy it.

Winning with Rag feels great, it's like a better version of fighting the single player Adventure bosses.

What I don't understand is why they had to make it so uneven. It seems Rag needs a lot of things to break his way to win, while as Nef, yolo it up and you're very much favored.

I've never laughed out so hard in hearthstone before. I just pulled off a funny BM. He plays golemag, a 6/6 taunt guy, and core pups. I have a 10/x on the board. I just need to hit face once. So I play UTH, and then whirlwind before attacking. He is probably like wtfuxor is going on. But I already had shadow word death in hand. I dunno why but I found that hilarious.

Just those sequence of cards. A dreaded hunter card you don't want to see when you fill the board, a whirlwind that can be used to set up execute, and then a priest card that had you doomed all along independent of those other 2!

I'm still laughing a bit about that. I just can imagine what was going through his head.

I've never laughed out so hard in hearthstone before. I just pulled off a funny BM. He plays golemag, a 6/6 taunt guy, and core pups. I have a 10/x on the board. I just need to hit face once. So I play UTH, and then whirlwind before attacking. He is probably like wtfuxor is going on. But I already had shadow word death in hand. I dunno why but I found that hilarious.

Just those sequence of cards. A dreaded hunter card you don't want to see when you fill the board, a whirlwind that can be used to set up execute, and then a priest card that had you doomed all along independent of those other 2!

I'm still laughing a bit about that. I just can imagine what was going through his head.

WARM THANKS

Cipherr

Really not true. Rag's hero power is really valuable in this fight. I think it is a lot more balanced than people think. It is definitely more balanced than I initially thought.

Its not.... its very lopsided no matter how deep you look into it. Its been out all day and thousands have been playing it for hours.

Its safe to call it poorly thought out.

Calling it lopsided and poorly thought out isn't the same as saying its impossible.

Its not.... its very lopsided no matter how deep you look into it. Its been out all day and thousands have been playing it for hours.

Calling it lopsided and poorly thought out isn't the same as saying its impossible.

I don't agree with you. Ragnaros has very strong control cards and a hero power that puts nefarian on a much tighter clock than it can often manage when things are about even on board.

It isn't even meant to be taken super seriously. I'm just having fun with it. My win ratio with both characters is also much more even than "lopsided no matter how deep you look into it". You can't go off feels with a CCG, really.

Ragnaros is harder to learn, that is why people probably think he is so much weaker. That is why i thought he was much weaker at first.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
He's also extremely disappointed by it

A lot of people are also just bad and Ragnaros takes more work to win with.

Even for good players it takes some time to learn how to mulligan with Rag and how to play him in the matchup whereas Nef is fairly straightforward.

It's still not balanced but I don't think it's drastically imbalanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom