• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT3| Preparing for the Ball of Spiders Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

He wanted to finish the game fast and BM as well. Could've easily killed the Cultmaster with just Auchenai + ping.

But we knew it didn't matter because he didn't have much in hand. #scumbagplays

Fair enough. Only turned on the stream 2 minutes prior to that (unleash turn).

Schryver

Whatever happened to the "Arena should feel equal for everyone" philosophy of Blizzard and not having gold cards/portraits there?

Oh that's right... Blizzard changes design philosophies as much as I change my underwear.

lol if they wanted it to feel equal there should be a set # of rares/epics/legendaries that everyone gets while drafting right?

Whatever happened to the "Arena should feel equal for everyone" philosophy of Blizzard and not having gold cards/portraits there?

Oh that's right... Blizzard changes design philosophies as much as I change my underwear.

I don't remember them saying that. I do remember some posts on the forums talking about them doing portraits and them being open to gold cards potentially in the future.

arimanius

I run a Priest deck that has some similarities to your deck. I actually just uploaded a video of the NeoGAF Hearthstone Tournament which shows me running the deck three times, it might be worth a look/to skip around a bit and see what's up. I try to explain some of my plays throughout.

Here's the decklist:

Awesome. Thanks for the decklist and the video. Definitely showed me several things I need to approve upon.

Now I have to see if I can tweak my deck to add in some of the cards that look like they came in handy for you.

JesseZao

I think the legend card back is more intimidating to new players than golden heroes and that's been available since the beginning.

bigkrev

People are willing to pay 10 dollars for new heroes, while I'd be willing to pay money to remove all the Warcraft stuff from the game, have no art, no animations and generic named cards. I already play the game with the sound turned off, let me go all the way Blizzard!

When did they ever say this

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah I remember hearing that as well

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I suppose the barrier with gold cards in arena is that there are multiple ways they could do it and they can't come up with the best way to do so. Do they come from your collection? Are they randomly assigned in your draft? Do they do something special and unique like a betting system to try and win the card or something else?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Which is ok, clean underwears are ok.

Tacitus_

"wait, why the fuck is the druid spamming well played, I got ~20 hp, it's turn 5 and he has just over 10 dmg on board..."

*savage roar*

well fuck me
could've survived it too by unstealthing my shade but I got greedy since I had a sludge belcher and a healbot in my hand :d

fanboi

Banned
I just saw the most insane RNG ever happen in Cardstone on forsens stream.

Warlock vs warlock, opponent handlock, got up a super shield with two 9/9 molten (to this part forsen got him down to 9 hp) and two twilight drakes with 4/8.

He then do bane of doom and say 'I am dead unless I get Mal...' I AM ETERNAL.

vv5EKzo.jpg

Then he say, I still need Implosion... and he get it the following draw.

Then he still is behind but has two imps, opponent at 5 hp, one card left in his hand... and he gets in the draw a Power overwhelming...

I just saw the most insane RNG ever happen in Cardstone on forsens stream.

Warlock vs warlock, opponent handlock, got up a super shield with two 9/9 molten (to this part forsen got him down to 9 hp) and two twilight drakes with 4/8.

He then do bane of doom and say 'I am dead unless I get Mal...' I AM ETERNAL.

vv5EKzo.jpg

Then he say, I still need Implosion... and he get it the following draw.

Then he still is behind but has two imps, opponent at 5 hp, one card left in his hand... and he gets in the draw a Power overwhelming...

Never, ever lucky

Awesome. Thanks for the decklist and the video. Definitely showed me several things I need to approve upon.

Now I have to see if I can tweak my deck to add in some of the cards that look like they came in handy for you.

No problem, I'm glad it helped. Priest is one of my most-played classes, so feel free to post more decklist ideas up here and I'm sure me and others can give you suggestions. I'll try to get more Priest videos up on my channel too.

cHinzo

Velen's Chosen is so good in Arena. Grabbed four of them and just slap them on Acolyte of Pain or Lightspawn, it works so well
Yeah love that card. Too bad they didn't give me any during my priest arena draft, but at least I managed to pick up a Dark Cultist and two Temple Enforcers together with two Lightspawns. Worked out great in my first three games. :D

Minsc

Gold Member
The more I play druid the more it seems everything besides Hunter, Warrior, Mage and maybe Warlock is antiquated in ranked play.

Ramp druid is a joke now, you're 3-4 ramp drops will all be removed for 1 mana, or frozen, or you simply will get run down by a 5/3 mana wyrm because you have no removal and nothing you play sticks.

Shaman and Druid need more class cards that a useful in a non-passive way.

I feel like 90% of the matches I play are vs Patron Control Warriors or some sort of tempo mage with the 2/4 flamewalkers and unstable portals, scientists/mirror entity (oh whoops, that one was actually a counterspell, sucks for you) etc.

Even knowing this, making a deck to play against these types of insane combos Mage and Warrior can pull off as Druid really is hard. I feel like I almost never play a game where they are missing parts of their combo because the combos have so much redundancy in the decks I'm always struggling to find a strong start.

Oh well, another 5 more wins and I can finally move on past Druid, damn golden portraits.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The more I play druid the more it seems everything besides Hunter, Warrior, Mage and maybe Warlock is antiquated in ranked play.

Ramp druid is a joke now, you're 3-4 ramp drops will all be removed for 1 mana, or frozen, or you simply will get run down by a 5/3 mana wyrm because you have no removal and nothing you play sticks.

Shaman and Druid need more class cards that a useful in a non-passive way.

I feel like 90% of the matches I play are vs Patron Control Warriors or some sort of tempo mage with the 2/4 flamewalkers and unstable portals, scientists/mirror entity (oh whoops, that one was actually a counterspell, sucks for you) etc.

Even knowing this, making a deck to play against these types of insane combos Mage and Warrior can pull off as Druid really is hard. I feel like I almost never play a game where they are missing parts of their combo because the combos have so much redundancy in the decks I'm always struggling to find a strong start.

Oh well, another 5 more wins and I can finally move on past Druid, damn golden portraits.

Lock is top tier right now. Face Hunter and Grim Patron right behind.

I'd actually argue Mage is tier 2 as Lock currently seems better.

That being said I saw a shaman today, and I about flipped my shit cause it was the first time in like 2 months.

Some classes just are better in constructed right now. As I said a week or so ago in this thread. You're actively gimping yourself if you don't play a small handful of classes in ranked.

Not that you can't win with say a Paly, but current meta dictates for most people the odds won't be in your favor long term.

Couple that with the fact that agro decks can play two games in the time it takes others to play 1, and its no wonder the ladder is like it is.

I'm just at a loss on what Blizzard can do to fix it.

JesseZao

I'm just at a loss on what Blizzard can do to fix it.

How bout you win double the stars for games that last until turn ten. (Maybe 9? Would have to be higher than average aggro game by a couple of turns)

Concedes will prevent exploitation. Win trading is punished. No effect on MMR.

Another possibility is average card cost in your deck.

Shaman will be hot garbage until Blizzard goes through and makes it so that half the class cards aren't a hindrance to use anymore.

It wouldn't be so bad if Shaman had a decent early game, but their best 2 drop is Whirling Zap-o-matic, which dies to pretty much anything. If the opponent has an answer for it, you're kind of screwed. Then they have to deal with RNG screwing them on removals (Crackle and Lightning Storm) followed by a shitty turn where they only have half mana, which usually means you can only drop a totem and likely lose the board for the rest of the game. I think Fireguard Destroyer was supposed to fix this, but a 6 health minion just isn't that great if the other player already has the board. It doesn't even matter that its attack is so high, because it's dying to 2 drops without ever getting to swing. Part of the reason that Mech Shaman actually works is that it gives the Shaman a decent start. Mech Warpers, Annoy-o-trons, and Spider Tanks are all early game minions that can actually stick. And you're kind of forced to run mechs since Powermace is just a worse Fiery War Axe if you can't use the buff, and you don't have access to a constant source of healing to make up for the extra face damage (no, Vitality Totem does not count). And, on top of all of that, they still don't have a consistent source of card draw.

JesseZao

Ran into Bashiok twice today. Once on ladder and once in casual. Guess my MMR is close to the same in both modes.

Would be interesting to know the relative difference between players' MMR in the two modes. I bet it'd be about the same or maybe casual would be higher. I realize it's all about taking the pressure off, but I love stats!

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Ha i just had a game vs midrange hunter where i managed to play 6 sludge belchers, i would have been dead otherwise. It was still a close game at the end because he choose to go face instead of trading my antonidas, silly smorc hunter.

Cat Party

It wouldn't be so bad if Shaman had a decent early game, but their best 2 drop is Whirling Zap-o-matic, which dies to pretty much anything. If the opponent has an answer for it, you're kind of screwed. Then they have to deal with RNG screwing them on removals (Crackle and Lightning Storm) followed by a shitty turn where they only have half mana, which usually means you can only drop a totem and likely lose the board for the rest of the game. I think Fireguard Destroyer was supposed to fix this, but a 6 health minion just isn't that great if the other player already has the board. It doesn't even matter that its attack is so high, because it's dying to 2 drops without ever getting to swing. Part of the reason that Mech Shaman actually works is that it gives the Shaman a decent start. Mech Warpers, Annoy-o-trons, and Spider Tanks are all early game minions that can actually stick. And you're kind of forced to run mechs since Powermace is just a worse Fiery War Axe if you can't use the buff, and you don't have access to a constant source of healing to make up for the extra face damage (no, Vitality Totem does not count). And, on top of all of that, they still don't have a consistent source of card draw.

Fireguard Destroyer is an awesome card. But Shaman didn't need a 4 drop. It needs a 3 drop that can draw a card or affect the board or something. Every other class (but Druid) has a bomb-ass three drop. Shaman got the Unbound Elemental, which is a good idea but too risky to build a deck around.

zoukka

Shaman's hero power doesn't play into any good strategies that shaman decks play. Hunter is always god tier because their hero power is the most efficient at supporting a deck strategy. Most of the time you are just sad about using your hero power as shaman. Shaman decks need key cards at the right time to be competitive and they don't have the leeway other decks have thanks to shit card draw and comeback mechanisms.

manhack

went to do some daily quests on my Euro account

Rank 14 meta:

3 face hunters
1 fatigue druid
1 mech paladin

alrighty then

I forgot to mention I am running a hobbled together mech paladin deck because the account is so new. Not sure what the chances are that I would go up against another mech paladin.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
They can start with mad scientist.

That just gimps getting secrets, but doesn't fix the problem you alluded to in your next post.

Hero Powers being a unique edition to Hearthstone make it so certain classes are suppose to play a certain way to synergize with their power.

Hunter SHOULD play face as it best mixes with their hero power. Mage SHOULD play with some form of temp due to their hero power. Ect... Ect...

I definitely think the Hero Power is what causes it so hard to balance play styles.

zoukka

That just gimps getting secrets, but doesn't fix the problem you alluded to in your next post.

Hero Powers being a unique edition to Hearthstone make it so certain classes are suppose to play a certain way to synergize with their power.

Hunter SHOULD play face as it best mixes with their hero power. Mage SHOULD play with some form of temp due to their hero power. Ect... Ect...

I definitely think the Hero Power is what causes it so hard to balance play styles.

Shaman could benefit from actually good cards that synergize with totems. Paladin has quartermaster and equality, shaman only has totemic might which is incredibly shitty.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is the new Brawl today or tomorrow?

That's pretty good for an f2p game.

If we assumed that was representative (which it's assuredly way overforecasting) it'd be 7% of the community spending $10, 3% spending $20, and 2% spending $30 for things that took a pretty small amount of work.

Edit:

Hearthstone and Overwatch will be at Gamescom (SC2 and Heroes were at E3, so this makes sense):

CIL_bVwUcAEf1V_.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom